The War of the Worlds

Kaftan Barlast

No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.

This thread is dedicated to the wonders of HG Wells. Here , we will(apart from the usual spam) discuss The book which can be found here for absolutely free(there's also a free eBook version somewhere if you google), the glorious Musical by Jeff Wayne, the 2nd part of "The league of extraordinary gentlemen" where they battle these martians and invisible man is raped to death by Mister Hyde wich can be seen here

..oh, and theres also a sucky film from the 50's, a really cool television series and a new film. But these are all altered and have very little do to with HG Wells original vision.

UUUULLLLAAAAA!!!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Thunderchild and Forever Autumn are two of the saddest songs I've ever heard, in completely different ways. Particularly Thunderchild, which was a brilliant portayal of the crushing of Mankind by the martians. After giving the human onlookers some false hope of a last chance at victory, the thunderchild being destroyed so completely is one of the most powerful and emotional pieces of music I've heard.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

ww.jpg

And if you buy the LP, a fat booklet with nifty illustrations :lol: Ill never forget the "dead london" scene at the end with the crows picking out the eyes of the martians.

But I must issue a warning, there has been I think two remixed releases of the record on both CD and LP that feature disco versions of the songs.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I liked forever autumn the most. It was sad, but it was good. So what do you think of the new movie coming out? I see they decided to go with a contemporary version of the story, and it also takes place in America (Whoohoo! America Rocks!!!). Anyway, I saw in the previews that they're going to be showing the U.S. military going up against the aliens. Should be good, and I bet we'll kick their asses :cool: Although if I remember correctly (haven't read the story in a long time), we resort to building an underground world in the end of the story.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

I liked forever autumn the most. It was sad, but it was good. So what do you think of the new movie coming out? I see they decided to go with a contemporary version of the story, and it also takes place in America (Whoohoo! America Rocks!!!). Anyway, I saw in the previews that they're going to be showing the U.S. military going up against the aliens. Should be good, and I bet we'll kick their asses :cool: Although if I remember correctly (haven't read the story in a long time), we resort to building an underground world in the end of the story.

Um, I think you might be a little shocked by the actual plot ... how can I put this humanely; the armies of the Earth come a distinguished, valorous but sadly distant third in the intra-solar system conflict.

You might be thinking of HG Wells' The Time Machine for your plot. :p

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I see they decided to go with a contemporary version of the story, and it takes place in America (Whoohoo! America Rocks!!!).

*slaps in the back of the skull with cricket bat* :-"

they're going to be showing the U.S. military going up against the aliens. Should be good, and I bet we'll kick their asses :cool:

"...it's bows and arrows against the lightning. They haven't seen the

Heat Ray yet."

Um, I think you might be a little shocked by the actual plot ... how can I put this humanely; the armies of the Earth come a distinguished, valorous but sadly distant third in the intra-solar system conflict.

You might be thinking of HG Wells' The Time Machine for your plot. :-

Well, technically, the artilleryman does resort to building an underground society near the end of the story. He just doesn't finish before the actual end of the story. :p

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

"HG Wells' The Time Machine"

Book was great. Original movie was meh; but the newest movie was FANTASTIC besides the usual whining about a remake that 'ruins' the original. Bagh.

As for WOTW, I always thought it was overrated. Seriously, if it wasn't for the so called hokey pokey panick that made idiots believe a real invasion was occuring over the radio reading of it; the whole thing would likely have been an afterthought. The new Tom Cruise movie looks to be fun in action pack summer movie sort of way; though. :-"

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I see they decided to go with a contemporary version of the story, and it takes place in America (Whoohoo! America Rocks!!!).

*slaps in the back of the skull with cricket bat* :p"

they're going to be showing the U.S. military going up against the aliens. Should be good, and I bet we'll kick their asses :cool:

"...it's bows and arrows against the lightning. They haven't seen the

Heat Ray yet."

What? America does rock. And yeah, I know mankind gets defeated. But I'm sure the U.S. military will put up a hell of a fight. :-

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

Well Orson Welles American radio show based on WOTW is not H.G Wells WOTW, IMO. So any critiscism of it being overhyped is irrelevant.

Transcript of Orson Welles american version WOTW radio show

Irrelevant. All that matter sis the perception. When people think of the name 'War of the Worlds' that is what they think of. They think of that silly radio play-by-play first. That's why WOTW still has the power it does to sell such a blockbuster movie and instantly be recognized.

Yes, that one. And, hey, I never said it was perfect. <> I liked the dramtics part sof the mive how the Hero tm was torn between his two timelines.. Awesome stuff. :lol: Guy Pierce's character was an absolute genius who had lived for thousands if not millions of years (hehe); i think he is more than capable of outsmarting a freakazoid like Irons.

Well Orson Welles American radio show based on WOTW is not H.G Wells WOTW, IMO. So any critiscism of it being overhyped is irrelevant.

Solid 24 karat GOLD.

Irrelevant. All that matter sis the perception. When people think of the name 'War of the Worlds' that is what they think of. They think of that silly radio play-by-play first. That's why WOTW still has the power it does to sell such a blockbuster movie and instantly be recognized.

Irrelevant? Not sure what you mean, but that was the coolest broadcast event in the history of broadcast media! I WISH I could do a similar cunning stunt! (w00t)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Solid 24 karat GOLD.

Irrelevant? Not sure what you mean, but that was the coolest broadcast event in the history of broadcast media! I WISH I could do a similar cunning stunt! (w00t)

Yeah, that would be sweet to be able to pull off something similar to what they did. But the problem is that people aren't as gullible as they used to be. People are very skeptical about what they hear. I'm one of those people. I don't trust the media for sh*t. The media likes to distort the truth or remain biased, so I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Anyway, what would you think would be good idea for a stunt. I don't think that an alien invasion would work; we would have to be orginal. I don't know, I can't think of anything. Can anyone think of a good one?

--John Stewart Mill--

--Black Hawk Down--

There are some pretty major panics in modern times, too, started by the media. Just recently there have been scares for farmed Salmon in Britain (containing high levels of pollutants) which caused everyone to stop buying the fish for a short time, until a retraction could be spread. And let's not forget the complete horlicks that was Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis (BSE -- "Mad Cow"), now any hint of a food scare and EVERYONE will react immediately upon hearing the news.

It would be best to make it something completely obvious to the person who stops and thinks about it, like fish having dry rot, or something like that. That way, when the bubblegum hits the fan, it is a lot easier to point at the mob mentality of the tabloids and unthinking majority and make them understand how limited their existence is without the burden of critical thought. :D

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I thought the Time Machine was the most boring book I'd ever read. I often wonder when people talk about that book if I read the same book they did, because I've never seen a story about time travel done worse than it was in The Time Machine. Personally, I prefer the backwards flavour of Time Travel.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Don't forget the book was written in the nineteenth century. I guess it's more about what the traveller sees. It's a cautionary tale (aren't they all?), with the standard dystopian future. (I have only ever read one utopian future for mankind. :) )

I liked the far distant future vistas, where there was nothing but armoured arthropods (crabs and such). Helped bring our short existence into perpective, at the time. But yeah, it wasn't the most exciting book in the world. (I do enjoy Wells' style though.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Last night I saw the trailer for the new film War of the Worlds.

It opens with the narration of "No one would have believed, in the early years of the 21st century, that human affairs were being watched..."

The only problem was it was some American with a gruff voice saying it, and it just doesn't work!

If anyone has heard the Jeff Wayne musical version, and the incredible narration by Richard Burton, the gruff American voice is almost laughable....

One of the major reasons for this I think is that the passage being read has been adapted from the book, which was written in 1898. It was well written, and I personally cannot imagine any American (no offence) talking in such a dialect.

It is for this reason, as well as several others, that I cannot see this film living up to the legend that is War Of The Worlds.

"I tried the most potent Noise Amplification spell once upon a time. Mavellous spell. I could hear the birds speaking to one another in trees over the horizon, I could hear the rustlings as the clouds rubbed against each other in the sky. I could hear the sound a rainbow makes as it arches it's back over the world. Then a dog barked behind me and I burst my left eardrum."