Did being able to play as a female influence you?

I don't have any proof but I just assume that the majoriy of game players are male. The Sims is one of those games is apparently the favourite when it comes to female gamers and I'm curious at to whether being able to play as a female character influenced your thoughts on KotOR?

Would you still have bought it if it was fixed gender? How important do you think this "feature" is?

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

As a female :( , I usually choose a female character, just because it feels more natural. But I do play with male characters too, to vary the story.

I prefer games where you can choose as much as possible about your character, so I think it is an important feat. And I would have bought it even if it was a fixed gender.

^_^

I don't really care if a game character is 'fixed' with name and gender, and I don't feel it's all that important. Just deliver me a good story, and I'm happy. The Longest Journey, Jedi Outcast, etc. are not lesser games because the dev's hardwired the characters. I realize many people do like to create their 'own' characters, but this causes many complications in an ongoing story (as we've seen with Kotor), and in extreme cases gender might influence the outcome. I guess I'd rather see a game do one thing very well rather than try to do too much; and my 'created' characters tend to be mirror images of one another anyway..

I'm female and I normally prefer playing a female character if possible. There are lots of very good games where you can't choose, but if it comes to a roleplaying game, I think you should be able to choose. I think that's something very important about a roleplaying game, that you can make you're character the way you want him/her. I still would have bought it, if this feature hadn't been in it, being a jedi is just way too good! :D

I don't have any proof but I just assume that the majoriy of game players are male.

Assumption is the mother of all ****-ups. I never understood why guys always assume that anyway. The fact is that there are actually just as many female gamers out there as there are male. :rolleyes:

I'm curious at to whether being able to play as a female character influenced your thoughts on KotOR?

Would you still have bought it if it was fixed gender? How important do you think this "feature" is?

Being female, I generally prefer playing a female character, but I always play both genders just to get the most out of a game.

Although I find the feature important because I like being able to choose my gender, I would still buy a game even if the gender was fixed.

Fable is a good example for that. I missed the option to play female, but it didn't stop me from playing it, even if it wasn't that good a game. <_<

I'm a male, but I ended up playing more games as female rather than male.  :(

I think most guys just play female characters because they enjoy watching them walk around in their underwear. :lol:

I am female in real life.it's weird but I love the male Revan better then the female Revan.I don't know why but the story in my opinion for the male Revan is way more appealing to me.

The story is essentially the same, it's just the romance option that is different, and to be quite honest I preferred playing male Revan in Kotor because the Bastila romance was far more appealing than Carth's (although playing the PC version as female with mods was even better). :rolleyes:

Would you still have bought it if it was fixed gender?

Absolutely. I prefer playing a female PC, just because I can relate to the character more (same reason why my D&D, Shadowrun and Rifts characters were always female, when I played back in high school... you know, before the war of 1812.).

However, while I prefer playing a female PC, I still have played male PCs in the past in other games. So being limited to a male PC doesn't stop me from purchasing or playing a game... having the option of a female PC does however make the game more enjoyable.

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

Atton's Motivation July 30: CHAPTER 26 is up!

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

Im male and I usualy play female characters in CRPGs, I just like it better that way. I think Freud would say that it stems from a desire to attain sexual completion female/male within ones conscious self. To in a way have a relationship with an artificial element/fiction of the imagination where one is in complete control of both parties. This is simlar to what an author may experince when constructing a relationship in his fiction.

..or its just that I like girls :)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

To in a way have a relationship with an artificial element/fiction of the imagination where one is in complete control of both parties. This is simlar to what an author may experince when constructing a relationship in his fiction.

So what you're saying is I'm writing about Atton because I want to control him? :)

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

I always play female characters if possible. Yes, I'll play male characters, but I'm less excited about it, to be honest. Having the option to play female is a big plus in my book.

I've tried to play male characters a few times in other games...Such as JAde Empire, or Neverwinter Nights but I've never found the character model/voicesets very appealing.

Naava

To in a way have a relationship with an artificial element/fiction of the imagination where one is in complete control of both parties. This is simlar to what an author may experince when constructing a relationship in his fiction.

So what you're saying is I'm writing about Atton because I want to control him? :)

Freud says: No, it is because you have a desire to engage in sexual intercourse with a fictional element. Your fanfic is an expression of that, and a way for you to engage in a more satisfying fantasy than playing the game can provide you with.

Triumph the insult comic dog says: You write fanfic because you are a huge nerd.

:D

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Freud says: No, it is because you have a desire to engage in sexual intercourse with a fictional element. Your fanfic is an expression of that, and a way for you to engage in a more satisfying fantasy than playing the game can provide you with.

Triumph the insult comic dog says: You write fanfic because you are a huge nerd.

I think it was more due to the fact that I'm a geek who thought that the romance aspect of the game sucked large.

So... Lil' bit of column A, lil' bit of column B. :)

EDIT: At this point, though, I no longer care about the romance aspect of the game... so now it's just because I'm a nerd. :D

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

--------------

I am male and usually play as a female (with KoTOR 1&2 I've never actually been a male...). Usually it's because I find most of the male oriented bits of the story just...blah...like the Bastila romance (barfitty barf barf) and I just get a really...dumb feeling when I play a male PC. Like a: "Grr, me am Strongarm Beefcake Dood. Me kill al bad guyz and get grlz hu huh. Look phat lewt!! LEVEL UP!!!" sort of vibe...

Well...that and most game devs (for whatever reason) can't make a male PC that dosn't look just...ick...like with a butt chin and ugly stubble and scars that look dumb instead of cool and...too...frikkan...many...muscles!!!

That's the best post I've read all week.

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

--------------

I hear you. The male PC skins are awful; the fair, bearded guy is the only one I can stand to play. Most of the female PC skins are just fine...

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.

I agree. The male skins are mostly pretty damn ugly. I'm not really into the beatnik soul patch look, and the one which looks like Ron Weasley... *shudder*. Some of the female Jedi are pretty darn strange too.

The African American female character with the yellow highlights is very strange looking too me. Something with her jaw and her eyes. But the guys are far worse... *SHUDDERS*

I'd have liked to see a guy with long hair and who looks reasonable.

I had the same problem with Jade Empire. Most of the male characters were... Not very appealing.

Naava

So what you're saying is I'm writing about Atton because I want to control him? :blink:

he he >_<:huh: :D .

I must agree on the male skins. Awful. Half of them look either like stupid grunts or stand-ins from an MTV video. But I always play male, because I'm... well, MALE. Playing a female and romancing Carth etc kinda... puts me off. Dunno why, really; I didn't mind playing female in Jedi Academy (probably to a large extent because Jennifer Hale's voice acting was waaay better than that of the male Jaden).

^Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum

I think most guys just play female characters because they enjoy watching them walk around in their underwear.  >_

It has less to do with their underwear and more to do with their ass in general. I mean, I really prefer to play a third person lady than a third person guy, because I just don't really like staring at guy butt for that long.

It has less to do with their underwear and more to do with their ass in general. I mean, I really prefer to play a third person lady than a third person guy, because I just don't really like staring at guy butt for that long.

Funny, a guy I know once told me the EXACT same thing.

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

--------------