d&d and Arti for another 10 years

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/EEE...yVVgCRVokyq.php

I saw this over on gamebanshee. So Atari now has the license for 10 years. That means we should get about 4 or 5 new d&d rpg's from Atari before their license runs out.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I saw this over on gamebanshee. So Atari now has the license for 10 years. That means we should get about 4 or 5 new d&d rpg's from Atari before their license runs out.

I find that rather optimistic...seeing as all they're throwing at us right now is RTS games, MMPORPGs and console hack and slashers.

NWN2 is still a distant dream, with no screenshots in evidence, and BG3 even more remote. Not to mention that an original, non-sequel D&D CRPG has not been announced since IceWind Dale in 1999 (discounting TOEE, which can hardly be considered "original")!

I find that rather optimistic...seeing as all they're throwing at us right now is RTS games, MMPORPGs and console hack and slashers.

NWN2 is still a distant dream, with no screenshots in evidence, and BG3 even more remote. Not to mention that an original, non-sequel D&D CRPG has not been announced since IceWind Dale in 1999 (discounting TOEE, which can hardly be considered "original")!

You are right, I almost said 3-4 games in a 10 year period. I probably should have. d&d crpg

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Actually the d&d license seems to be in shaky hands. Atari had a bunch of layoffs and office closures this past year. The CEO leaving further adds to the uncertainty to the company. Who knows, though?

- Steven Erikson

Actually the d&d license seems to be in shaky hands. Atari had a bunch of layoffs and office closures this past year. The CEO leaving further adds to the uncertainty to the company. Who knows, though?

Well they did get $65million from Hasbro for giving their intellectual property back to them, although of course Herve could have burned through that in a week back in the old Interplay days. >_<

Now imagine if they injected the full $65 million in developing a new D&D CRPG...ahh what dreams are made of!

Atari is long gone. Atari II is looking shaky so I sold my shares a little while ago before the price drop and bought more in the Evil Alliance.

I expect Atari II are relying on NwN II to bail them out because other than that, not much of anything exiting in the public domain right now.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]