So uh, why was KOTOR2 rushed?

Another thing about influence, is turning ls member's dark/dark members light is they still talk the way they were designed from the getgo. Nothing you do really matters anyhow...oh well

now that IS a gaping hole....at the very least, they need to fix that

It makes sense when you think about it.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Another thing about influence, is turning ls member's dark/dark members light is they still talk the way they were designed from the getgo. Nothing you do really matters anyhow...oh well

now that IS a gaping hole....at the very least, they need to fix that

It makes sense when you think about it.

no. either drop the shifting alignments (which is more realistic, anyway) of your NPCs or provide updated content when they do shift. how could anyone argue with that?

no.  either drop the shifting alignments (which is more realistic, anyway) of your NPCs or provide updated content when they do shift.  how could anyone argue with that?

Wasnt what I meant. It's a given that the influence system would have to change if you had a different protagonist. But for that particular protagonist how it works makes sense.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Um... Well, I bought KOTOR2 game on day 1 release, but I always thought that there were several things that was just plain wrong with it although the plot was very good. And after complaining to a couple of friends of mine that the game had couple of too sudden changes, I got told that they had heard rumours about the game being rushed. So was it? And why was it rushed? And I was told that there would be a patch which would make the endings a bit more forfilling/satisfying, but I bet that is just mumbo jumbo.

It was rushed like hell.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I love my modded XBox.  It does everything.  I won't advocate piracy, though that is the motivation for most people to mod their XBoxes.

I got tons of new functionality.  My Thompson DVD drive worked rather poorly, and now I don't have to read off discs.  Games and levels load much faster, and more reliably.

I have a fully functional Media Center, tons of emulators, web browser, all kinds of things.

Our Tivo was full of CSI, Alias and Lost, so my wife downloaded some episodes of House from bitTorrent.  But watching the episodes on her laptop wasn't that great.  So we wirelessly streamed the video files to the XBox, and watched the episodes on the TV.  They looked great.

I have all kinds of python scripts that do very specific tasks as well, such as pull movie trailers or game trailers.  Oddly enough, movie trailers look better on my TV and load faster than on the PC.

I don't feel that games load faster off the HDD, I also ran into fewer problems with KotOR 2, i.e. glitches and slowdowns less frequently off the disc than off the HDD.

Not to deviate too far off topic but the Xbox with a modchip is a wonderful thing. I recommend anyone drop the $200 for the media and multiple game capabilities alone. I'm typing this from the Linux on my Xbox as we speak :D .

I still think this game kicks ass though. It felt it was way better than KotOR 1 in terms of story and character development, not to say that it was bad in the first one. I didn't like it my first time through not knowing stuff from particular NPC's because my influence wasn't high enough with them.

I don't feel that games load faster off the HDD, I also ran into fewer problems with KotOR 2, i.e. glitches and slowdowns less frequently off the disc than off the HDD.

There is major glitch on Peragus if you play off the HDD.

However, almost every single time I tried to save, load, or leave an area the game locked up off the disc. It was unplayable. It never once locked up via the HDD, and it loaded in half the time for me.

I also got a nice 7200 RPM Seagate drive in my XBox. It's still limited to ATA33 which sucks, but I also modified some of the cooling in the box as well. The thermal gunk was replaced by Arctic Silver 5, and I put a Vantec Stealth fan in the back.

• 3 weeks later...

The game was actually significantly more polished than I would have expected a new game company with such a short development cycle to be able to accomplish. If I recall correctly, three of Obsidian's ex-Black Isle founders (Feargus Urquhart, Chris Parker, Darren Monahan) are producer-types, however, so I expect them to stick to their project management guns to allow time for QA and produce a Neverwinter 2 that is significantly more stout than their initial foray into the gaming market.

I also got a nice 7200 RPM Seagate drive in my XBox.  It's still limited to ATA33 which sucks, but I also modified some of the cooling in the box as well.  The thermal gunk was replaced by Arctic Silver 5, and I put a Vantec Stealth fan in the back.

:blink: Sounds like an episode of MTV's "Pimp my XBox" :p

Don't know whether this has been discussed here but I found that the official "trailer" included with the game announced that the game would be released in "Winter 2004", which can only mean one thing, late December, 2004. 

It has been much discussed here. Winter lasts till the middle of March. Thus February is a winter month, too.

well, it said 2004 so it could have only been released between january and march 2004 or december 2004, which one makes more sense?

• 2 weeks later...

It's all Lucas Arts' fault.

Obsidian are like Michelangelo and Lucas Arts are the evil pope forcing the artist to rush the job and have it done in time for the slobbering masses eager to have games for their kiddies under the Christmas tree.

If only Obsidian had been given more time -- say, 5 years, to actually figure out what the heck their story line was.

What has Bioware made that has been stellar outside of their association with Black Isle?

JADE EMPIRE

:cool:

Given the lack of RPGs on the XBox, I like Jade Empire.

In the end, combat was still easy, the plot horridly predictable, and the game rather short.

Jade Empire's strength was the world they created, and I give them props for that. I just hope Jade Empire 2 is more of a full game.

Given that they had less time overall which did inpact the game one think i think also shortend down the time was that there was kotor and they like reused the engine and just modified it and had some of the kotor content reused and modified. An example of this is koraban. with this it obviously helped them ease the ammount of work to do.

In my view Kotor was better in my oponion with the storyline and felt more complete. but why kotor 2 did improve on alot of elements compaired to kotor like the influance system and better customisation of your character and your aligment affecting the characters. the devs obviously tried to do to much to make it a better game with in a short period and that overall affected the game.

Obviously while there are many bugs this for a small company which currently has to rely on money for each job which is a factor did come out reasonable well but for the game that had plenty of potential and posibilities it somewhat was wasted.

The game did feel and well as we know had scraped out content, i would'nt of minded them managing to round it up properly and not so obviously that it was ripped out and there was more.

But some charaters i felt had good character development and other well what the hell were they there for other that to follow you cause your a leader.

On a different note i doubt a content patch is out of obsidians hands to finish of what they started (even though lucasarts is the one in control and not releasd the high res sounds and videos) cause look at Star Wars Battlefront thats had content patches released for it. As had Kotor and some other starwars games.

Personally I think obsidian don't want to do it cause of money and time. so they say the game is finished and end of story. thats just my oponion.

Given the lack of RPGs on the XBox, I like Jade Empire.

In the end, combat was still easy, the plot horridly predictable, and the game rather short.

Jade Empire's strength was the world they created, and I give them props for that.  I just hope Jade Empire 2 is more of a full game.

JE was a good first step in creating that new world, and establishing a "history" to build upon. I enjoyed it.

Now hopefully JE2 will improve upon that. For starters, more places to visit. In reality, there were two main places you could freely take the Dragon flyer, Tien's Landing and Imperial City. The rest of the places were inaccessible or were at a point in the story where it became completely linear.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Yes, it was rushed, and it's bothersome because I feel if they spent a little more time on it, it could of been the perfect game. But I'm really not as disappointed with it as some people, it could of been much worse. After going back and forth between I & II, I kind of even like the second one better.

The main thing that annoys me is the influence system, and I think someone brought this up. It's a nice concept and I like being able to shift my companions alliances, but they should at least change their personalities a TAD when they shift. The only one I saw a difference in was Atton, where instead of the whole, "I don't know what came over me" stuff, it was "Glad we got the drop on him." But still, it's a huge flaw in the game ~.^ What's the point of HK being light side if he still loves killing innocents, or Disciple being dark side if he's still a saint? Meh...

Also, if you're going to cut out entire plots and planets and endings, at least remove all the traces of it from the game, or else lots of things don't make sense ~.^

If they did spend more time on it I think it would have been better than the first one. Hopefully that restoration project can fix it.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

2. I think that main character development is more important than NPC development. I don't know about you but the Exile seemed less developed than the NPCs to me. (I finished the game -in DS- without knowing who cut me off from the Force!!)

EDIT: Not to mention the fact that K2 is the first game that required a fan-made "restoration" project to fill it's plot gaps..... Thank you LA....

In my mind K2 will be a reference point to poor game design....

2. is revealed by a number of plot elements throughout the game, although ultimately they're LS slanted, because the DS folks aren't going to really trust the folks telling them elsewise while they're chopping them down. Suffice to say, it is answered, but it might not fit how you saw your character.

EDIT : What? Throne of Bhaal doesn't count?

No, it wans't. It was always scheduled to eb released before Christmas. Mismanagement is what brought the problems on; not a rush. This has been evidenced by the fact that Obsidian now admits they need to have their own inside QA team. Good on 'em!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

If the game was released before it is done it is rushed. If LA and Obsidian sent it out on schedule thenit was their schedules that was wrong.

Either way you look at it the game is unfinished and both LA and Obsidian are to blame. SO far they have done next to crap to fix the game. One patch isn't going to do it. Needing a internal QA staff is obvious to any one. I guess Feargus failed his Duh check with KotOR 2.

Harvey

No, it wans't. It was always scheduled to eb released before Christmas. Mismanagement is what brought the problems on; not a rush. This has been evidenced by the fact that Obsidian now admits they need to have their own inside QA team. Good on 'em!

So it was a failing of time management, not a lack of time?

Hmmm, if I were less trusting, I might think you were trying to use semantics to redefine the issue ... ;)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT