So uh, why was KOTOR2 rushed?

Um... Well, I bought KOTOR2 game on day 1 release, but I always thought that there were several things that was just plain wrong with it although the plot was very good. And after complaining to a couple of friends of mine that the game had couple of too sudden changes, I got told that they had heard rumours about the game being rushed. So was it? And why was it rushed? And I was told that there would be a patch which would make the endings a bit more forfilling/satisfying, but I bet that is just mumbo jumbo.

"You can have it today full of bugs which makes the game not 100% done, a couple of endings will not be in this game, and friendships with other party members will not have a climax. OR, you will have a fully functional game if you wait 1 month more, tops."?

Eh, I may have been whining for an extra month aye before the release, but on the other hand: I wouldn't be whining for months after the release :)

P.S. I'm not saying that the game is bad. I tried playing KOTOR1 the other day, but I kinda missed a lot of the new ingredients in KOTOR2 so I stopped playing, I really loved the story in KOTOR2. The sequal is without a doubt a great game. Although I was a bit disapointed about a couple of things due to early release which many of us apparently really wanted changed. :wub:

Um... Well, I bought KOTOR2 game on day 1 release, but I always thought that there were several things that was just plain wrong with it although the plot was very good. And after complaining to a couple of friends of mine that the game had couple of too sudden changes, I got told that they had heard rumours about the game being rushed. So was it? And why was it rushed? And I was told that there would be a patch which would make the endings a bit more forfilling/satisfying, but I bet that is just mumbo jumbo.

Two words Lucas Arts.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Yeah, well, that's not the way it sounded pre-release.

Other than raving fanboi/fangurls, I don't think many people wanted the game rushed for Christmas.

Wanting it soon, but good quality and finished, is different than just wanting it NOW.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"Other than raving fanboi/fangurls, I don't think many people wanted the game rushed for Christmas."

I didn't hear the Xbox users crying when they heard they're getting the game early. People who intended to get it for PC, however, did cry -- for the wrong reasons: I still remember how pissed they were for them having to wait months beyond what the Xboxers would have to.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

"Other than raving fanboi/fangurls, I don't think many people wanted the game rushed for Christmas."

I didn't hear the Xbox users crying when they heard they're getting the game early. People who intended to get it for PC, however, did cry -- for the wrong reasons: I still remember how pissed they were for them having to wait months beyond what the Xboxers would have to.

:) The heck you on about? What were the wrong reasons? O.o We got KOTOR2 for PC and XBoX the same day.

EDIT: Even though KOTOR1 got released on XBoX before on the PC.

In addition, none of the problems that plagued the Xbox version were fixed in the PC version; even though it took two months longer to come out. The state of the PC version was actually worse, in fact.

"The heck you on about? What were the wrong reasons? O.o We got KOTOR2 for PC and XBoX the same day."

Only in Europe.

Right o', but that was back then. Anyways, now we're whining about it being buggy :) Doesn't matter what people complained about in the past! We shall always find new stuff to complain about ^^ For as long as people are disatisfied, bored or old, there will exist complainment! Just kidding about the last part. But anyways, the point is that the game wasn't finnished and got released when it wasn't ready, and could hardly be modified on through patches. So it would be better off with some fixing and a delayed release date.

"So it would be better off with some fixing and a delayed release date."

Yes. I was just criticizing the belief that most people were intelligent enough to realise this before they were handed an incomplete and buggy game to cry about.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

"So it would be better off with some fixing and a delayed release date."

Yes. I was just criticizing the belief that most people were intelligent enough to realise this before they were handed an incomplete and buggy game to cry about.

Ah, fair enough. But according to about 17.000 angry SWG players, LucasArts doesn't care about what angry customers have to say about their products or release dates, unless it's positive responds. (Or is this actually the work of Sony Online Entertainment alone? I personally think they're both in on it) Anywhom, I do think it was LucasArts who did set the release date on KOTOR2 though, so I wouldn't put all my money on that the game got rushed just because of a couple of impatient players alone.

I believe what was meant is LA rushed the game in order to deliver a holiday release due to the perceived impatience of many fans. Perceived is the key word here. Also, the sooner the game was released, the sooner they got their money.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Ah, but you made it sound like an early release was primary on most peoples' wishlist. That's not really the case.

In a perfect world, yes I wanted the game ASAP. HOWEVER, I did not want it ASAP if that came at the expense of a completed product, and I doubt I'm alone in that.

In other words, if Lucasarts said (yes, this is an impossibility since no company would actually say it, but just for argument's sake) "we can have the game out in time for Christmas, but it may be buggy" or "we can make sure the game is 100% complete, but it might be delayed".

I don't see many people picking the former. Which is exactly what implying people wanted a rushed release would pick.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

With any luck this may just cure people of that must have it yesterday attitude. It wasnt until the game was so hugely prasied at E3 that it went into rush for the finish status. So while you can blame LA and Obsidian you can put equal blame on gamers attitutes of must have it yesterday. Because without then the reasons to actually rush things wouldnt be half so compelling.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Around launch-time, there was a huge influx of new members. And I like talking with new people.

However, I dislike seeing hundreds of people joining merely to ask a question that has been answered several times before. Forums have a search feature for a reason.

LucasArts made the decision on when to ship the game, and yet Obsidian is the one that took much of the flak. And I feel for them. First off, after playing the game to completion, I feel people overreacted. The ending isn't that bad. Was KOTOR's ending much better? Did KOTOR really have much of an ending other than killing Malak and getting a medal?

These guys are professionals. They work rather hard, and probably are underpaid given the state of the industry. Publishers call all the shots, and developers get blamed.

Where is the love?

Obsidian isn't going to sit here and blame LucasArts because they have to continue to work with publishers if they are going to stay in business. Unless they have the capital to self-finance games, and find ways to distribute their own product, they live and die by publisher's whims.

If you're expecting Obsidian to sound off, I doubt you'll hear it.

Honestly, I got more out of KOTOR:2 than I expected. Mind you, I had low expectations for the ending from what everyone said, but I felt the writing in the game was far superior to KOTOR:1.

We just seem to remember the endings of games. Our final impression becomes our only lasting one. With KOTOR, we had a shocking twist that overshadowed the poor dialogue and lack of character development.

With KOTOR:2, the ending was lacking in a few departments, and it over-shadows what was a very well written game, that also improved upon gameplay in most every area.

The playes who hate on KOTOR:2 are predominately upset that the game lacked another Revan. They wanted someone even more badass, and a character that felt like more of their own.

With the Exile, you have a background handed to you. You as a player didn't make the choice to be an Exile. You didn't decide to cut yourself off from the Force.

However, you did have the choice of how to respond. Did you stand by the decision to go to war in the first place? Did you feel the Jedi might be right in judging you?

The game made me think and consider what the repecussions of my actions might really be. Most players don't want to have that experience it seems.

However, if I recall, it was the same type of experience that made games like Torment and Ultima IV so great.

All that stuff is for K1 vs K2 threads.

As for the "rushing" part, it just occured that LucasArts wanted too much in too little time, and who knows, maybe Obsidian also bit off more than it could chew.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Many RPG fans cite BG2 as the standard for huge epic games.

Many RPG fans cite Planescape: Torment as perhaps the best damned RPG of all time.

I don't think Obsidian bit off more than they could chew. These guys have been tied to some stellar games.

They had a very short production cycle.

Many RPG fans cite BG2 as the standard for huge epic games.

Many RPG fans cite Planescape: Torment as perhaps the best damned RPG of all time.

I don't think Obsidian bit off more than they could chew.  These guys have been tied to some stellar games.

They had a very short production cycle.

Yeah, I doubt the company responsible for the BG, IWD, Fallout, and Torment games can ever take a project too big for them. What has Bioware made that has been stellar outside of their association with Black Isle? NWN? That game barely had a story. And KOTOR? I couldn't believe it when I realized they just recycled the story from NWN and put it in space. Bioware makes great worlds, but can't seem to populate them with anything of interest. Black Isle- Obsidian can.

I think KOTOR had a better story than NWN, but people also overlook the poor dialogue in KOTOR and the total lack of character development.

I think you've got it the wrong way around. Those character quests were good.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)