More information

Hello all. I attended the panel that the lead designer and lead artist held at A-kon 16 and I must say it was very interesting to hear some things first hand. One aspect peaked my interest though, I'm really looking into getting in to the Design-side of game devellopment and I had a few questions. What would be a good direction in college to prepare for a Game Design job? Majors? Minors? Any other information in this area would be good. Also, are there any companies that do interships for aspiring designers? or are they just all around internships for the most part?

On another note I would like to thank the guys from Obsidian, you were extremely helpful at A-kon and you gave me a little bit more precise direction for my future plans. Thanks again.

If you look at the bios of the OE team, then it says a lot about what they did before coming to OE (college, previous positions, etc.).

:p

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all. I attended the panel that the lead designer and lead artist held at A-kon 16 and I must say it was very interesting to hear some things first hand. One aspect peaked my interest though, I'm really looking into getting in to the Design-side of game devellopment and I had a few questions. What would be a good direction in college to prepare for a Game Design job? Majors? Minors? Any other information in this area would be good. Also, are there any companies that do interships for aspiring designers? or are they just all around internships for the most part?

On another note I would like to thank the guys from Obsidian, you were extremely helpful at A-kon and you gave me a little bit more precise direction for my future plans. Thanks again.

Some development companies offer design internships; however, they are pretty rare. Obsidian does, but they do set a pretty high standard for their interns. Luckily I was able to bribe them to get my foot in the door.

One nice thing is that interns at Obsidian are given a lot of opportunities to contribute creatively, a likely reason why they grill their design candidates in the first place. Interns here can also move up the ladder in a short amount of time. An example: John Morgan was an intern for KOTOR 2. Now he