GeForce 6600 GT + KOTOR2

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. Basically, I had a GeForce 5600 FX 256 MB and (aside from being a crap card), things ran OK and I had the frame buffer effects working (ex. in Knight Speed).

Now, with my brand spankin' new GeForce 6600 GT 128 MB, I don't get any soft shadows (no shadows at all!) and the frame buffer effects don't work. Most of the time, at 1024x768, 85Hz, Anti-Aliasing 4x, Anisotropic 4x, all I get is a fade-in and a fade-out where a motion blur should be.

Once, after toggling it on/off a few times, it got so my characters were standing in completely white space and the entire background and scenery had disappeared! The bottom line is that, with the latest video drivers and updates for KOTOR2, I get this problem.

Did anyone else have this issue? I wasn't able to find anything specific to my card and this problem on the forum.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. Basically, I had a GeForce 5600 FX 256 MB and (aside from being a crap card), things ran OK and I had the frame buffer effects working (ex. in Knight Speed).

Now, with my brand spankin' new GeForce 6600 GT 128 MB, I don't get any soft shadows (no shadows at all!) and the frame buffer effects don't work. Most of the time, at 1024x768, 85Hz, Anti-Aliasing 4x, Anisotropic 4x, all I get is a fade-in and a fade-out where a motion blur should be.

Once, after toggling it on/off a few times, it got so my characters were standing in completely white space and the entire background and scenery had disappeared! The bottom line is that, with the latest video drivers and updates for KOTOR2, I get this problem.

Did anyone else have this issue? I wasn't able to find anything specific to my card and this problem on the forum.

I got the same type of card so I may be able to help.

There are some slow down issues for me, mostly due to the Anti-Aliasing stuff. Run it at 2x and you should see some good speed. Other than that though I was running Frame Buffer and Soft Shadows OK.

What other stuff you got on your system? Also when you upgraded you GFX card did you re-install the drivers (I assume version 71.89) or the whole OS?

Darkfire, I've got an AMD Athlon x64 3400+ (2.41 GHz), an unfortunately low amount of RAM (only 512MB DDR, I ran out of money when upgrading, heh), plenty of HD space and a properly-allocated swap file. Are there perhaps any driver settings I can tweak through the Nvidia display settings?

crcostel, I did get the latest drivers, of course. I wonder if it matters that my card is made by eVGA. It seems they use the normal Forceware drivers...

Darkfire, I've got an AMD Athlon x64 3400+ (2.41 GHz), an unfortunately low amount of RAM (only 512MB DDR, I ran out of money when upgrading, heh), plenty of HD space and a properly-allocated swap file. Are there perhaps any driver settings I can tweak through the Nvidia display settings?

KOTOR II doesn't need a huge amount of memory (you have enough really, just make sure your swap file is a good size, at least twice the size of your system RAM), and as far as driver settings go, just make sure that the AA and Filtering are set to application mode so the game sets them not the drivers.

One thing I note however, is that the latest drivers from nVidia do seem to slow down both KOTOR and KOTOR II. I never had slow down issues before installing the 71.89 drivers, especially on Dantooine in the first game (which for me is even worse than in the second game).

Oh and one last thing...defrag the drive you have the game installed on. I'm always installing and deleting stuff on mine, and after defrag the drive things started to fly again real quick...