How come everybody says that DS = Bully?

The non-bully DS path is better defined in K2.

However, my biggest beef with it is not whether I can reach DS Mastery

that way but with how INFLUENCE is implemented.

For instance,

HK-47 has one of the best backstories in the game...however, he wants to see some psychopathic behavior from you before

you have enough influence with him to get his backstory....similar thing with Bao-Dur...compassionate acts gain influence with him and that comes with LS points...

my point is not that you can't reach DS Mastery with this path.

my point is, if you do, you miss out on alot of extra stuff.

I'd like to see that fixed in the next installment.

The non-bully DS path is better defined in K2.

However, my biggest beef with it is not whether I can reach DS Mastery

that way but with how INFLUENCE is implemented.

For instance,

HK-47 has one of the best backstories in the game...however, he wants to see some psychopathic behavior from you before

you have enough influence with him to get his backstory....similar thing with Bao-Dur...compassionate acts gain influence with him and that comes with LS points...

my point is not that you can't reach DS Mastery with this path.

my point is, if you do, you miss out on alot of extra stuff.

I'd like to see that fixed in the next installment.

It's supposed to be that way. You only form attachments with those who share similiar views, or you sully yourself to convince them that you share their views in order to gather information (ie get DS points or LS points not because of your beliefs but because you want something from them).

The other way is to simply bully them, or convince them of the error of their ways by always losing influence with them. It's only the middle ground that wont open up the stories.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It's supposed to be that way. You only form attachments with those who share similiar views, or you sully yourself to convince them that you share their views in order to gather information (ie get DS points or LS points not because of your beliefs but because you want something from them).

The other way is to simply bully them, or convince them of the error of their ways by always losing influence with them. It's only the middle ground that wont open up the stories.

I would prefer it not be that way. If I want to learn about what the person did when he was 5 years old, then fine. If I want to learn about what Revan told someone who is a passenger on the Ebon Hawk to do 5 years ago, I, the Captain of the Ebon Hawk, want to hear about it. Don't want to tell me? Then get off my ship (don't EVEN get me started on that one)! OK, I'll calm down.

Essential main story clues should not be locked in this way. Training, side quests, and fluff dialogue should be unlocked in this way.

Anyway, it seems we have hijacked this man's thread but I think the DS path in general needs alot of work and I think the influence system needs a whole lot of work.

It's not so much the influence system as people wanting it the easy way.

If you think KOTORII's influence system is obcsure you should see something like fireemblem. The fact it is obcsure makes it all the more rewarding.

Here we go,

Include the character in your party. If you never trust them enough to fight beside you they will never trust you.

Protect the character in battle keeping them healthy makes them trust you. Letting them "die" makes them dislike you and they wont open up.

Make sure they level up according to their personality. IE although you can make them do anything they will like you more if you pay some attention to their own desires on what skills they learn.

Speak to them frequently

Support options open up when certain characters spend a lot of time together, these include romances.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It's not so much the influence system as people wanting it the easy way.

it is one thing to have to haggle with someone on a planet.

it is one thing to try to convince your mentor that he is wrong.

but if you are eating and sleeping on my ship, you are going to answer my

questions.

for me, this issue would be solved largely by having an NPC pool greater than the passenger slots on the ship and being able to release passengers that you don't like.

The Balder's Gate series gave us that (even though it was land-based). It really is not too much to ask, I think.

Why ? They may owe you their allegiance, but they dont owe you their life stories.

It's all about supply and demand. Right now, you need them more than they need you. I'm suggesting that this dynamic be altered in favor of the PC.

As many others have stated on this board: influence, as it is now, is about the PC being influenced by the NPC. The pendulum needs to swing a bit in the other direction.

As many others have stated on this board: influence, as it is now, is about the PC being influenced by the NPC.  The pendulum needs to swing a bit in the other direction.

Thats the most obvious way yes but it's not the only way.

478327[/snapback]

"I believe I have advanced certain ideas. But I would be happy to answer any remaining questions you may have."

I had no questions to begin with, or at least, I didn't ask or intend to do so at any point. I merely pointed out something that seemed to be a misunderstanding between you and SP.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!