KOTOR III after KOTOR II!

Guest MacleodCorp

You pretty much just described Squall  :p

Never played or heard of it, but the story resembles many of the old Film Noir films, where the main character always has some deep dark secret and haunts him everyday.

On a different note, my copy of K2 keeps crashing every now and again. I wouldn't be so bothered if this was for the pc but I have it for the xbox, anyone else have this problem?

The first time couple of times I played it through it worked ok, I was just thinking its either my Xbox is getting ready to die or the game itself is knackered, however there aren't any scratches on it, its in perfect order really. :)

I dont know I'd be quite tempted to put my internal project on hold if offered that sort of cash cow. Depending on the deal of course. I dont see Feargus being enthusiastic about another 1 year crunch project. But having a 360 (or PS3) flag title in KOTOR III would be quite a feather in the cap for Obsidian.

That would be tough. It also depends on how Feargus views LucasArts after KOTOR:2.

I think that in order to keep intact whatever story the players have chosen for Revan, if that is important to the developers, Revan needs to be killed. Revan's past is really too ambiguous for him/her to be included in the game without several divergent storylines. Now, Revan went off to find the 'True Sith' . To destroy them or conquer them, we don't know. Either way, Revan likely would end up fighting several of them. So the writers could give background of Revan's exploits on the Outer Rim, with ambiguous good/evil implications, and have Revan dead at the hands of the True Sith, with it up to the player what Revan's true intentions were. A good or evil Revan could have razed Sith cities and destroyed many Sith, etc., etc. Alignment is really all about intention, anyway, and until the enemy is soundly defeated (which Revan would not have done) those intentions really wouldn't have a chance to manifest themselves. Problem solved.

I need to familiarize myself with the Exile again before I can offer what should be done there, but a similar solution could be accomplished. With either character, though, ambiguity is the writers' best friend, I think.

Also, if either character is left alive, there could be another conversation like in K2 (as many suggested) but with still clear backstory and ambiguous actions, and if those answers fit certain criteria, they could make cameos as replacements for other characters that are present otherwise.

Making either playable or giving them universally set roles is not doable in any manner as far as I can tell.

Making either playable or giving them universally set roles is not doable in any manner as far as I can tell.

On balance, I probably agree with you that this is one of the better options. However, I think that making Revan and the Exile playable or alive is doable. Obsidian showed with Kotor 2 how you could take the two very different endings of Kotor 1 (Revan leading a conquering Sith fleet vs. Revan saviour of the Republic) and work the story so that the outcome is the same. Similarly, for Kotor 3, you could have DS Revan leads the True Sith or LS Revan falls to the dark side and leads the True Sith - outcome is the same. Doable? Yes. But desirable? I'm not convinced. There's a danger of having so many loose ends to tie off and so much backstory to square, there's no room to tell a new and engaging story, and Kotor 3 needs that above all.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

By killing Revan off you do open the way for a very different type of KOTOR game.

Lets just for simplicity say your flying through space on a Jedi "seed" ship and you happen across the hulk of the Ebon Hawk. The only thing on board of relavence is a T3 unit.

(Inagine following the events of KOTORII the remaining companions set out to gather other force sensitives and your one of the many on the ship. This also gives you a good chance to have a tutorial section as both the character and the player are trained. As for who by, well my choice is Mira.)

On activating the T3 unit you get a holo of Revan and the Exile fighting a losing battle against the Sith.

One or the other then implants a message that the plan has failed and the only thing you can do is to untite the galaxy against the coming storm.

Now rather than set you up as some sort conquering hero, you now how the role of diplomat. You have to convince people of the threat, you have to get people to put aside their divisions etc. Now how you go about that should be your choice. You could for example work to remove a regime that basically told you to take a hike and replace it with something a bit more receptive.

At the same time you would be searching places like Yavin IV , Koriban (which has to be bigger than in the games) etc. For information and more importantly evidence of this new and unknown threat.

This way both Revan and the Exile get there moment of glory and your not stuck playing some sort of super hero. But rather someone fairly ordinary. Along the way you will meet some of your shipmates from the start, some of whom have stayed true to the original ideal (be it light or dark) and others who have chosen a different path and may well be trying to undermine your efforts of unification.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I think in the end you and I would prefer a good story.

If the geeks crucify the game before it comes out, then no one will buy it.

Yes.

If it were not a Star Wars game I'd probably agree.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

By killing Revan off you do open the way for a very different type of KOTOR game.

true, from a storyteller's perspective, killing off Revan is what you want to do. If you don't, you have Revan's Angels instead of Knights of the Old Republic.

now, obviously, there is a significant block of Revan fans out there that want to keep following this character. I would simply point out that a video game is pretty low on the continuity list and the EU Revan does not have to be a mirror image of the video game Revan.

but the games need to be consistent. right now, the only consistent thread that can tie this together is

defeating the True Sith

. And it is consistent, remember what Canderous said (in KOTOR I) about the Mandalorians being approached by "the Sith".

The only thing with the Sith plot is that is likely to be something that wont have a conclusion either. At best you will confront a minor element. It's pretty inconceivable that you could topple the Sith Empire no matter who you are.

478327[/snapback]

ok just cos it aint confirmed.....kotor3 will be being planned....just look at the priorities la have had this yr what with ep 3 coming out, so it might just take a little bit longer than normal.

A for the content of kotor3 :

1/ have a padawan as pc and bastilla as master

2/ set it in the outer rim following the true sith storyline

3/ have revan as a major npc..say as CinC of jedi defense and exile as his second

4/ bring jolee back as a npc as well as keep the two droids

5/ kill off exile at the end, not revan...be it some great sacrifice in a space battle to change the sway of the war..and have a brief monlogue saying how it is his redemption for malachor v

6/ have a new ship for this release...have bastilla and padawan tracking ebon hawk from end of kotor2

7/ possibly bring mention of the chiss into it...a young race with reputation of great military prowess..possibly have one as a group member to replace canderous

8/ make the sith stronger...these are new jedi we are playing with...the true sith have been around for ages

why does everyone like revan so much? i just saw about 8 posts where ppl dont wanna play a hero and stupid stuff, when its pretty obvious that every starwars game has u playing a hero who's strong in the force, being a midlevel jedi just doesnt really cut it, ppl want to play heros becuz theyre idiots and how would a mediocre jedi learn so much about the force and topple the sith empire?

regardless i thought the exile was better than revan, but if obsidian does k3, theyll develop the story better with him becuz they did a damn well good job w/ the story in k2. so i might switch later. becuz nothing about revan blew me away, in k1 it was like everyone had a hard on for revan, ooooh revan was so powerful, he was a whirlwind of power, he was a master tactician etc. i mean a little of its good but not that much glorification