KOTOR III after KOTOR II!

Guest MacleodCorp

best way to way to solve the revan problem is to remove him/her. IF Kotor is a trilogy then what is the main focus? Not revan! Say for example its the True Sith (whatever they are)

Then the third instalment would be a story that finds its way to the true sith. It is largely unconnected with the events in the previous games but acknowledges them in a vague historical sense. This frees up the game for devs to do whatever they want and also retains some continuity.

Think of the games as 3 separate journeys to the same destination.

Revan is the hero, that's his point to the story, he's the one who did everything to try to stop the True Sith.

The true Sith on the other hand are just the enemy that has been around the entire time.

It was the True Sith that swayed the Mandalorians to believe that the final war was coming. Thus a superior army and enemy was weakened, and no longer stands against the True Sith alone. Revan found information on the true Sith, and made a plan to stop them, but it seems this was in their plan as well. Revan attacks the Republic, hoping to help, destroying much of the Republic fleet in the process. However IF he were to win the Ship yards and the Star Forge would give him an army able to destroy the True sith. This wasn't meant to be, and a mindless Revan ended up destroying a good size of the army and the super battle station he needed to win.

Exile finishes the job with Kreia and Atris help. Because of Atris a good size of thsoe 100 Jedi still around are destroyed, and because of Kreia the Jedi Masters are destroyed. Exile, with help from Republic fleet, pretty much destroys the last remnants of the Revan and Malak Sith.

Take a count

A small army of Mandalorians left

A small Republic Fleet left

Hardly any Jedi left

The fate of the Republic now lies in one man who has ventured into the Cloak of the Sith. He might have an Exile to lend a hand, but none of this matters at the moment. Kreia implied that the Great Battle was about to begin, and so the True Sith are ready for war.

the Republic might as well hang a huge sign saying WELCOME ALL TRUE SITH. I would exspect that the last part of the TS plan is to cause unrest in the Senate.

KOTOR 2 must be completed

http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html...427948&forum=76

I guess it has been made official in a magazine that Obsidian Ent. will be making KOTOR III. Now, the question that comes to mind is:

Do you think Obsidian will make a good KOTOR III after a contraversial KOTOR II? Do you think they will release patches on time for KOTOR III? Do you believe that Obsidian has a storyline?

If LA doesn't give them enough time than I'm going to hire a hit man to take care of George Lucas.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I agree with you Darth Flatus the Revan problem can be solved by removing him he is to shadowy a character. And GL was talking about his movies not kotor. Kotor2 showed us that it is capable to leave Revan out of the story arch and still have a good game. I still wonder though how a third PC will fit into all this?

Killing Revan would be stupid for the story. The war against the True Sith is HIS war, this is his story. To leave him out will make things suck. KOTOR 2 just made him more important than he was before.

What KOTOR 3 doesn't need is a new PC. No room for one now. To have one is for cliche and repetitive, not to mention that we'd have to go through another, "Why I'm the most important character," phase.

He's no longer feasable as player character. Now in my experience of RPGs people want to be the focus of the story, not play second fiddle to some godly NPC. Which leaves only the death option.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Killing Revan would be stupid for the story. The war against the True Sith is HIS war, this is his story. To leave him out will make things suck. KOTOR 2 just made him more important than he was before.

What KOTOR 3 doesn't need is a new PC. No room for one now. To have one is for cliche and repetitive, not to mention that we'd have to go through another, "Why I'm the most important character," phase.

Playing as Revan or the Exile again in KotOR III would take a way a portion of the RPG in the KotOR-series. Revan and the Exile can have their war, let a new character be added for the catalyst of events and let the players shape the end for themselves.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

i see the main gripe is that people think Kotor is about Revan. He is not the main protagonist of the whole story, only in the first game.

Yes GL said his movies were about anakin/vader, but Revan is not anakin (or luke).

The games aren't called Revan of The Old Republic or Knights of The Old Revan or any other permutation.

Darth Nuke,

I hear you. I really do. The problem, though, is that this is not a Real Time Strategy. In a sense, I wish K3 would not be an RPG and instead be an RTS to allow for the kind of thing you are talking about. Because that would be a great thing to see: Revan as master strategist.

The KOTOR games have already mentioned two wars: Mandalorian and JCW and we did not get to play in either one. If K3 is about a giant galactic war, I WANT MY PC IN THE WAR not just cleaning up after the mess. I have no idea if that is feasible, however.

If they could find away to incorporate some RTS elements without taking away from the RPG aspects, then I'm all for Revan being a player-controller general in a maproom somewhere.

i see the main gripe is that people think Kotor is about Revan. He is not the main protagonist of the whole story, only in the first game.

Yes GL said his movies were about anakin/vader, but Revan is not anakin (or luke).

The games aren't called Revan of The Old Republic or Knights of The Old Revan or any other permutation.

Hey, that's a catchy title: Revan of the Star Corp ... hang on, that was Kremmen, wasn't it!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Playing as Revan or the Exile again in KotOR III would take a way a portion of the RPG in the KotOR-series. Revan and the Exile can have their war, let a new character be added for the catalyst of events and let the players shape the end for themselves.

Ah yes another so called last of the Jedi who has some wierd dealings with the force. Whoopy damn do, been there done that.(TWICE)

With Revan or the Exile you have a character that has a story to finish. A familiar character that the player can still align with either side, and make look however.

To say this isn't Revan's story is an understatement. A Jedi who's main enemy has always been these True Sith, who went to war and fell to the Dark Side to beat them. A Jedi who lost his mind, who was lied to, who's Revenge ended up destroying the very things he needed to win this war. A guy who finds his memories, and realizies that his plan has failed, and that the Galaxy is ten times as weaker then before. And a guy who has taken it upon himself to fight this enemy.

Not his story, HA, please. Then you say some New Boy from out of nowhere should take his place as hero, and fight his war, and win it? To fight perhaps the Dark Lord he should get the glory for. A kid who has lost his powers in some wierd fashion.

If KOTOR 2 hadn't made Revan into what it did, then I would agree with you. KOTOR 1 was his story and that was it, however KOTOR 2 just made Revan that much more important.

Revan has the story to tell. His tale finally finished, and ending this his story. Not some quick death, that yall would give him.

I'm sorry but 3 hero's in this series is a crowd.

I don't agree that -- even if we accept your definition that KotOR is all about Revan -- there can't be another hero in the third installment of the series, if ever there should be one.

Just as Frodo was not the one to drop the ring into Mordor's pit, and he wasn't the hero of Helm's Deep or Minas Tirath, so too a third character can pick up the narrative arc and tell the final segment of the plot as they all are tied together in some sort of acceptable fashion.

See? It's easy if you try! :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Another person claiming kotor is the "Revan saga" kotor1 is about Revan kotor2 is about The Exile and kotor3 is about, what!? We don't know, yet. Kotor2 mentioned Revan for the sake of continuity and Revan as a character was elaborated upon by Obsidians words/material. There is nothing more to Revan unless the devs decide to make anything of his character in future kotors. At the end of kotor2 it's all about the Exile but can easily change. Keep in mind the direction of the series is out of OUR(the fans) hands. And a newbie(as much as I don't like the idea) is certainly a big possibility.

I don't agree that -- even if we accept your definition that KotOR is all about Revan -- there can't be another hero in the third installment of the series, if ever there should be one.

Just as Frodo was not the one to drop the ring into Mordor's pit, and he wasn't the hero of Helm's Deep or Minas Tirath, so too a third character can pick up the narrative arc and tell the final segment of the plot as they all are tied together in some sort of acceptable fashion.

See? It's easy if you try!  :thumbsup:

Star Wars isn't LOTR's. And why a third hero, why ANOTHER guy who is lost to the force somehow, and is the last of the Jedi. Or maybe a nobody somehow gets trained by..no Jedi... and says, "I'm the hero now, this is my war."

Hey, that's a catchy title: Revan of the Star Corp ... hang on, that was Kremmen, wasn't it!

:thumbsup:

If only Kenny Everett were still alive, what parodies of Star Wars he would make! :D

If Kotor 3 tries to tell nothing but the end of Revan and the Exile's stories, it will be hard to make it work as a story in its own right, which it must be in order to attract new players and keep sales up. As a designer, I would probably opt for a new character, with cameos from former NPCs and a meeting with Revan and the Exile well into the game. I just think it would be easier to pull off.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

See? It's easy if you try!  :thumbsup:

Star Wars isn't LOTR's. And why a third hero, why ANOTHER guy who is lost to the force somehow, and is the last of the Jedi. Or maybe a nobody somehow gets trained by..no Jedi... and says, "I'm the hero now, this is my war."

In LotR, none of the character's claimed supremacy over another. In the OT, Anakin played a very small part in the story, even if he played a big role. In fact, there are very few stories that only have one hero - the main character - throughout. Luke skywalker was the hero of the OT, though the OT continued Anakin's story. And even then, there was Han Solo, Princess Leia, the droids, and a number of other lesser heroes.

What is this continuing gripe about Revan not being a feasible PC? I just don't understand it.

The main points seem to be that Revan 'is not your character' and he is a godly level 20 character, too high to continue as PC.

Now I understand that the idea of Revan was created by the developers over at Bioware and then continued by OE. However just because his backstory was created by developers doesn't mean his actions are continued to be motivated by them. Everyone has his or her idea of Revan and played him in a particular way within the limits of the game. The player was the one who chose Revan's actions according to what the player deemed his/her particualar Revan would do in a particular situation. We have to understand that the pre-amnesia Revan is not the same Revan the player was controlling. This is a new Revan. He/She is the player's Revan. His/Her main plans might remain the same but how he reaches those goals and the motivations behind the plans are still totally up to the player. K1 Revan is the player's character, fused with both his past history and the person Revan has become now. How Revan reacts and comes to terms with his history is up to the player to decide. It will depend on how each player illustrates Revan in their mind and how the completed picture of Revan reacts to the events of the game. Now, how does this make Revan 'not your character'?

As for Revan being level 20, like I said earlier, what's wrong with just arbitrarily knocking his level back to 15 and then leveling him to 30 throughout the course of the game? Revan would still start powerful and increase in power as he truly unlocks his true potential. Heck I wouldn't mind Revan having gaining special Force powers as some powerful memories come back to him. Kind of like mix of Torment's memories and ToB's Bhaal tests in the pocket plane. I don't think this would make the game too easy either. It would be up to the devs to come up with something more than just throwing enemies at you. Have the enemies hide behind walls, make them act more intelligently using the terrain to their advantage. Have them move around in highly efficient squads. Make blaster and grenade type weapons more effective and deadly. Throw in a few vehicle mounted enemies that any high level character would have trouble with. Make the main antagonists powerful Sith Lords. Redesign force powers so even the high level abilities have some sort of weakness. Going over level 20 is crazy with d20 rules? Just base the bare bones of the rules on d20 and revamp the system for higher levels.

Easy to say and hard to do I know, but I'm sure talented devs could pull it off. If LA gives them enough time.

Ah yes another so called last of the Jedi who has some wierd dealings with the force. Whoopy damn do, been there done that.(TWICE)

With Revan or the Exile you have a character that has a story to finish. A familiar character that the player can still align with either side, and make look however.

To say this isn't Revan's story is an understatement. A Jedi who's main enemy has always been these True Sith, who went to war and fell to the Dark Side to beat them. A Jedi who lost his mind, who was lied to, who's Revenge ended up destroying the very things he needed to win this war. A guy who finds his memories, and realizies that his plan has failed, and that the Galaxy is ten times as weaker then before. And a guy who has taken it upon himself to fight this enemy.

Not his story, HA, please. Then you say some New Boy from out of nowhere should take his place as hero, and fight his war, and win it? To fight perhaps the Dark Lord he should get the glory for. A kid who has lost his powers in some wierd fashion.

If KOTOR 2 hadn't made Revan into what it did, then I would agree with you. KOTOR 1 was his story and that was it, however KOTOR 2 just made Revan that much more important.

Revan has the story to tell. His tale finally finished, and ending this his story. Not some quick death, that yall would give him.

I'm sorry but 3 hero's in this series is a crowd.

If the writers can't come up with a good story without forcing the player to take the role of Revan/Exile, then there shouldn't be a KotOR III.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy