KOTOR III after KOTOR II!

Guest MacleodCorp

Wow, I read every page. Don't know what to say.

Umm... first I don't think it's hard to not play as Revan but still choose his or her face. All that is needed is to be able to choose from the faces of K1 and off you go.

I don't like the idea of Revan vs. the Exile at the end but it would make for an epic battle.

The face isnt the problem. The problem is the voice and the story.

Basically we have two characters who are no longer playable. Revan now has a memory and thus dosnt need playing (as well as being too high a level) and the Exile, is even more powerful although still ours. But still dosnt make for a good game for people not familiar with KOTORII. If it's a next gen game which seems likely at this stage, you cant assume that people buying it will have played the rest of the series.

Making them NPCs is a big workload since you have no definate identity. In effect you have to make four of everything for both of them. And have at least two voices.

I'd certainly enjoy killing off Revan since his/her existence is holding the series back and it needs to grow rather than to focus.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I wouldn't mind if Exile had an unfortunate "accident" and died either. :ph34r:

While you can do more with the exile character, not really bothered either. It's much better to use NPC's from the previous games as NPCs rather than trying to use a PC of non determined identity.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

This will be an ongoing problem unless each PC dies after every story... or there won't be another KOTOR.

Yes it will as long as people expect to see their former PC's every game. Thats where JRPGs are total works of genius in that respect. Because they use a PC with a known identity they can have game after game with no problem what so ever.

478327[/snapback]

here is the thing with Revan as I see it:

>>>>>SCENARIO 1: Revan as PC in K3.

ADVANTAGES: you don't have to write 4 dialogue trees for him....don't have to give him a voice actor....alot of fans would like to play Revan.

DISADVANTAGES: level problem....a 20th level character in the d20 system is almost a god....you would have to find some cheap way to delevel him or try to write a 40-hour game where the PC *starts* at a high level. another disadvantage is newbie players to the franchise who would prefer to start with a more or less clean slate.

>>>>>SCENARIO 2: Revan as a full, speaking scripted character.

ADVANTAGES: well, this is the Revan saga...it would be nice for him to play some role.

DISADVANTAGES: multiple dialogue trees would have to be written...multiple voice actors....would have to give the player some cheesy way to select his appearance.

>>>>>SCENARIO 3: Revan appears as a non-speaking, masked character.

ADVANTAGES: IMO, this is the best option because you avoid the disadvantages of the other two scenarios.

DISADVANTAGES: unless you kill him, then such an appearance can only be described as a cameo. the star player of this saga needs more than a cameo.

SOLUTION: use SCENARIO 3 and kill Revan (and I mean in a tough lightsaber duel with the Dark Lord, not some cheesy accident)....this sets up an all-purpose Force Ghost for future games in this franchise.

DISADVANTAGES:  multiple dialogue trees would have to be written...multiple voice actors....would have to give the player some cheesy way to select his appearance.

>>>>>SCENARIO 3:  Revan appears as a non-speaking, masked character.

SOLUTION:  use SCENARIO 3 and kill Revan (and I mean in a tough lightsaber duel with the Dark Lord, not some cheesy accident)....this sets up an all-purpose Force Ghost for future games in this franchise.

I don't see the problem with having a few extra duplicate voice overs for a previous character like Revan; if it is managed correctly, there need only be a couple of sentences where the history is mouthed differently. There is no need for a radically different voice for LS / DS, for example, just male / female.

How would a Revan Force Ghost be scripted? Force Ghosts still speak, so you have the same problem as scenario 2!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Me I say go with option one. You forget there is a secondary form of this that the developers came up with in KOTOR II. That is that you play with Revan on a limited option. YOu could also add the exile to this scheme as well.

This could be done because I feel that the setting for KOTOR III is going to be beyond the outer rim. Revan is out there. You get the impression that Exile was heading that way. You could add your new KOTOR III character to the mix and include the old NPC's to the mix as well. A great conflict between the Sith masters in the far reaches.

Option 1 isnt feasable. D&D has enough problems with 20+ characters SW just dosnt stand a chance.

Option 2 is feasable, but costly in both time and additional VO. Basically unles you choose a path your going to have to script four options.

Option 3 is kind of cheesey.

Personally I think it's best to let the Exile and Revan go off to the outer Rim and have KOTOR III in the known galaxy dealing with the consequences of both the Jedi civil war and the total collapse of the Jedi/Sith.

You can then tie up the Revan/Exile thing at a later date once it's out of peoples systems.

478327[/snapback]

You can then tie up the Revan/Exile thing at a later date once it's out of peoples systems.

You honestly think it'll ever be out of peoples' systems? Revan's fanboy/girl following is quite immense and probably will never just let it go until there is resolution.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

How would a Revan Force Ghost be scripted? Force Ghosts still speak, so you have the same problem as scenario 2!

well, if you killed him off late enough in the game, you wouldn't need to use his Force Ghost in K3.

By the time K4 rolls around, the gender of dead Revan is really not going to be that much of an issue....trust me.

You honestly think it'll ever be out of peoples' systems? Revan's fanboy/girl following is quite immense and probably will never just let it go until there is resolution.

I think it is preferable for this to be a trilogy. If you leave Revan unresolved at the end of K3, then KOTOR becomes a soap.

Trilogy = yes

Soap = no

Option 2 is feasable, but costly in both time and additional VO. Basically unles you choose a path your going to have to script four options.

IMO, option 2 is the least workable. here is why:

what is he doing? if he is not the protagonist nor the antagonist

how can he be involved? and I don't think he can be the one to

rebuild the Jedi Order -- too shadowy of a character for that.

the Exile, on the other hand, would make a great candidate to rebuild the Order.

that is my view: kill off Revan in a glorious duel (he was about to win but the Dark Lord played a dirty trick on him) and set the Exile's identity and use Exile to rebuild the Jedi Order.

Plano I hope you don't actually think I mean killing Revan in an accident is a good idea. I think Revan should go down in a blaze of glory befitting any major character in a story. But I think as long as there are two former player characters out there (Revan and Exile), it will still be their stories. My hope for KOTOR III is that it will be a new story with a new PC.

Plano I hope you don't actually think I mean killing Revan in an accident is a good idea.  I think Revan should go down in a blaze of glory befitting any major character in a story.  But I think as long as there are two former player characters out there (Revan and Exile), it will still be their stories.  My hope for KOTOR III is that it will be a new story with a new PC.

Oh, I hear you. At this point, I don't think any non-munchkin truely thinks that Revan will be the PC in K3. The trick is to give him RESOLUTION while not eclipsing the PC. Obsidian (if they are, in fact, the dev) will find a way to make it work.

You honestly think it'll ever be out of peoples' systems?  Revan's fanboy/girl following is quite immense and probably will never just let it go until there is resolution.

Probably not completely although Revan is no Sepharoth. I dont know if I would call it immense since there is no actual figurehead, everyone has their own idea of what is correct. Thats why it's easier to just leave it to the immagination , write something compelling and move on.

Not repeating the same mistake again would seem to be priority one ;)

478327[/snapback]

I want the outer rim stuff explained. It's fine for one game to be unexplained in that, but two?

I'm begining to wonder why we even bother with the RPG idea. Why not an action/adventure game, heavy on plot and dialogue, with RPGish elements? Means that levels aren't a problem.

Meh, I just hate D20.

Anyway, I think people might deal with Revan being dead a little bit better, as long as they had a more specific idea from him of what happened in the aftermath.

I don't see why Revan and Exile can't both be the PCs.

As for levels I think everyone just needs to stop worrying about Revan and Exile being over level 20. Just knock them back to level 15 or something and have them level up to level 30 throughout the course of the game. Have the other NPCs start at level 10 and have them level up to 20, slowly.

I don't think we need a new cast of NPCs either. There are more than enough interesting characters from the two previous games. Give them interesting stories as to how they've ended up being where they are or give them interesting motivations for following you. I guess one or two new NPCs couldn't hurt though.

Have the game start off with you in control of Revan, secretly trying to infiltrate the Sith Empire beyond the outer rim. Obviously you'd have to have some reason for planet hopping to acheive some main quest goal. I'm sure professional writers can come up with something more intriguing than anything cliche I might write here. Have Revan meet up with past party members and a few new party members that have plausible reasons for being there. Mission and Zaalbar might make an appearance, having gotten lost in their thirst for smuggling, adventure and intrigue. Juhani could also be there, her admiration for Revan having made her search all over the galaxy. Maybe Yuthura, who everyone seems to love, can be an NPC. She also has searched for Revan beyond the outer rim. New party members could be a treacherous Sith Apprentice using you for her/his own advantage and your main information source on the Sith Worlds. The plot would have Revan trying to weaken the core strengths of the Sith secretly. Revan's part would end as he learns that he's been walking right into a trap and he finds himself surrounded by powerful Sith Lords mocking him, lightning crackling from their fingers.

Then the game would switch to Exile. You've just started off Malachor V with your party to search for Revan when you're picked up by a capital ship either headed by Carth and Bastila if you went LS in K1 or a dark Bastila if you went DS. Bastila would demand to join your party and you'd have to decide who to take with you and who to leave behind. Obviously Bastila, T3 and HK and your romantic interest would stay with you. You'd give orders to Carth and Canderous to follow Revan's last orders while ordering your newly trained Jedi to gather what resources they can for the coming threat. Who you took and left behind would change small parts of the game in the final part of the game as well as inter-party banter and party reactions to game events while playing. Your main quest while playing the Exile would be to of course find Revan. You land on the planet that T3 indicates and begin your search. The way you played as Revan in the first part of the game would affect this second part as you learn more and more of the true plans the Sith have for the galaxy and Revan's role in them. You would gain revelations into Revan's true destiny and also the Exile's as well. The last part Exile's journey would have you meet up with Revan's party as they frantically fend off against the Sith trap. Your goal would be to break through the Sith trap and find Revan.

The last part of the game would switch back to Revan as he is surrounded by the Sith Lords. They exchange words, and the Sith Lords reveal some plot or another revelation that leaves the player's jaw hanging open. You would take control of Revan at this point and have this major battle against the 7 or 8 Sith Lords attacking you. This battle would be intense! With Lightning flying all over the place and ferocious lightsaber duels. Revan would have to use his surroundings to his advantage and call upon his most awesome powers to survive. Ultimately he defeats all but the most powerful of the Sith Lords and exhausted, is nearly overwhelmed by Force Lightning when the Exile bursts through the door and deflects the blast with his/her lightsaber. The Sith Lord retreats into the shadows saying the obligatory, "All this has transpired according to my design! The galaxy will be mine!" Revan and Exile exchange hearty greetings as old comrades, if LS or form a perilous alliance if DS. At this point You take control of both Revan and Exile, switching between both at will. You can even have them initiate dialog with each other and with other party members at once. REvan would have his love reunion with Bastila(LS) or have a master/apprentice ritual(DS). You would then fly back to the Old Republic space to neutralize the subversive Sith elements, that have secretly been implanted in each major republic hub. This will be the main quest of the third part of the game. Eventually the Sith would attack with a huge armade, and how successfully you accomplished your goals in the third part would determine how easy or difficult the last battle was.

I think this would be a fun...and long game! :)

The face isnt the problem. The problem is the voice and the story.

Just have Revan lose the power of speech ... too many sherbets the night before; one too many lightsabre fights; too snooty to talk to anyone ...

I know it would be quite annoying but you could give him a voice somewhat like Nihilus's so they wont need to do the speech