KOTOR III after KOTOR II!

Guest MacleodCorp

...and so are RPGs

Very cryptic.

Let me put it another way. In PnP your character is your character you create it, you create the background(sometimes with DM input sometimes not) for it and the DM dosnt come along halfway through the game and invalidate all that.

If you recall from KOTOR when you play 20 questions with Bastila it gives you the details of your false identity.

In these sorts of CRPGs much like in a JRPG you borrow the character for the duration of the game, but its never really yours. While it's obviously easier to make up a story with a character you know about ,there are also other factors involved. The most obvious being that in order to make a pregenerated character playable you have to strip their memory so they are as clueless as the player is.

The exile is slightly different in that they only gave you a background and you worked off of it. There was no great revelation about your identity (which is why you had a title rather than a name since you cant VO the players name unless it's preset). Giving people a background is something that a lot of DM's do to tie the character into whatever story they are writing, but without the obvious heavy handedness of giving you a pregenerated character.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I don't think voice is too much of a problem (sorry, just heading backwards slightly...) - remember technically Revan had a voice already - he\she would make little remarks during actions or would grunt in combat. It wouldn't be too difficult to give Revan a full voice - remember they gave you the option of having either a male or female Jaden Kor, and they recorded voices for both. In fact, the only time there was a glitch was on Taspir when Allora mentions that Jaden has come for his friend (Rosh) even when playing as a female character. I really fail to see a problem about what gender Revan can be - you just need to talk to someone at the beginning again and have them say "Revan, a great man" and you reply "Er excuse me, I thought Revan was a woman?" or not as the case may be - and problem solved. You can do exactly the same thing with DS/LS as well.

Only thing left is how to match Revan's face - a mask would probably be a likely solution.

if revan and/or exile are playableor nonplayable, it wouldn't be that hard to give players a number of faces to select from. I mean, it's no big secret that Revan will prpbably be making an appearance. It's jus a matter of when. Or someone else said that maybe if an NPC asks you do identify Revan from a picture. Even though you would get to select what revan and/or exile look like and therefor be expecting to see him/her, it would still be somewhat of a shock to see either of them. Especially Revan...

If you want to get technical, all non-linear RPGs , give the player the illusion of freedom.  The question becomes:  Which games are more convincing?

Not talking about the illusion of freedom rather about the freedom to have your own character and for people to not mess about with it. If you create you own character then no one but you can use it, since they (the designers) dont know anything about it.

If someone else designs your character then part of that is the acceptance that it's not really yours and the designers are going to do things that you may not be particularly enamoured of. Especially if the game becomes a franchise and your character becomes an NPCs. Your job is to get the character to a point where it can fullfil its destiny and then let go so that you can play the next character with equal conviction. In that respect its a lot like acting.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I completely understand now. It's funny that complete freedom of character in Computer/Video games is such a foreign concept to me. I honestly had to reread all your posts like four times to get it. Do you have any examples of games that allow something like this or close to it?

I completely understand now.  It's funny that complete freedom of character in Computer/Video games is such a foreign concept to me.  I honestly had to reread all your posts like four times to get it.  Do you have any examples of games that allow something like this or close to it?

Only if you go back a few years. Fallout is probably the number one game on the list. Within the frame work of a game that obviously must have a begining and end you were free to do pretty much anything you liked.

The ending even changes region by region in a sort of voiced over montage , depending entirely on what you did or didnt accomplish. Rather than just having a "catch all ending cinematic" for good and evil.

478327[/snapback]

Here's what I say, and i'll say it again: They need to start telling the story from the beginning. Mandalorian wars. Otherwise, we'll just have a weak game, or a game disconnected from the other games, or a game mired in endless flashbacks.

Actually, I think flashbacks would be good, as long as they were interactive. Why not?

Blah. LA doesn't know anything. Give us flashbacks!

What do you say? Maybe a story that shows Revan's past AND the Exile's past? Or one or the other?

Being the future Dark Lord might be limiting to your possible actions - although I'm sure there would still be plenty of sandbox to play in.

Here's what I say, and i'll say it again:  They need to start telling the story from the beginning.  Mandalorian wars.  Otherwise, we'll just have a weak game, or a game disconnected from the other games, or a game mired in endless flashbacks.

Actually, I think flashbacks would be good, as long as they were interactive.  Why not? 

Blah.  LA doesn't know anything.  Give us flashbacks!

What do you say? Maybe a story that shows Revan's past AND the Exile's past?  Or one or the other?

Being the future Dark Lord might be limiting to your possible actions - although I'm sure there would still be plenty of sandbox to play in.

There is a real problem with prequels which is this. They have to have a specific outcome.

Imagine EPIII if Anakin just told the emporer to bugger off :D

Because of this your choice as player is going to be almost inconsiquential, since in order to tell Revans story it will end with Revan becoming dark lord of the sith.

If you were going to do a JRPG style game where the story is a seperate element to the gameplay then it would work. Otherwise you would just be railroading the player to the outcome you require.

478327[/snapback]

Here's what I say, and i'll say it again:  They need to start telling the story from the beginning.  Mandalorian wars.  Otherwise, we'll just have a weak game, or a game disconnected from the other games, or a game mired in endless flashbacks.

Actually, I think flashbacks would be good, as long as they were interactive.  Why not? 

Blah.  LA doesn't know anything.  Give us flashbacks!

What do you say? Maybe a story that shows Revan's past AND the Exile's past?  Or one or the other?

There is a real problem with prequels which is this. They have to have a specific outcome.

Imagine EPIII if Anakin just told the emporer to bugger off :D

Because of this your choice as player is going to be almost inconsiquential, since in order to tell Revans story it will end with Revan becoming dark lord of the sith.

If you were going to do a JRPG style game where the story is a seperate element to the gameplay then it would work. Otherwise you would just be railroading the player to the outcome you require.

a prequal would be possible, though having that, you won't be able to use any of the main characters from K1 (such as Revan). key to that is having characters that have minimal contact (if at all) with Revan, and a story that runs parallel to but not cross the story of Revan. so perhaps have a story that uses the mandalorian war as a backdrop, maybe the war was a diversion for some kind of greater conspiricy, and your prequal character will go with that story to solve the conspiricy while the story of the mandalorian war gets told during different stage of the game play. just a thought, feel free to bash.

p.s I agree with dufflover, finish KOTR series first, before doing any sort of prequal.

Why do a prequel at all? The beauty of being set 4000 years before SW is that a dev (should he/she want to) can do pretty much any story line they want.

If there is another kotor game i hope it is developed from scratch and not just take the engine and elements from other rpgs.

Why do a prequel at all? The beauty of being set 4000 years before SW is that a dev (should he/she want to) can do pretty much any story line they want.

If there is another kotor game i hope it is developed from scratch and not just take the engine and elements from other rpgs.

agreed. tho KOTR itself is kind of a prequal (to a story 4000 years later). but yeah, they definately need a "start from scratch" approach for the next game if any.

When I say prequel I mean prequel to the events in KOTOR rather to those in Star Wars proper.

In much the same way as Anakin was doomed from the start of EPI you would be doomed from the start of a KOTOR prequel (if you were Revan) since your fate is known and everything in the game would have to work to that outcome.

478327[/snapback]

When I say prequel I mean prequel to the events in KOTOR rather to those in Star Wars proper.

In much the same way as Anakin was doomed from the start of EPI you would be doomed from the start of a KOTOR prequel (if you were Revan) since your fate is known and everything in the game would have to work to that outcome.

yeah, I see what you're getting at. all in all, I don't think a prequel would be a good idea for the KOTR series. it's possible to make one, but not a good idea at all.

Well given that KOTOR was 4000 years before the Empire, and KOTOR II was 5 years after that, then if they follow the pattern then we can look forward to 800 or so more KOTOR games before we get too episode I. I'm sure Obsidian are up for that! :D

I dont really care who develops the game as long as the storyline is consistent with all that has been established so far and that you dont "replay" anyone. Also, drop the whole echo thing and go with a jedi connected to the force with all bits and pieces like it should be. A revan apprentice seems to me like the best idea. You would either be a jedi padawan or a sith apprentice, your master whose true name you dont know dissapears and you are thrown into a war without knowing what you would be fighting for,or your master's past,and then slowly discover it thru the story in a quest to either save the republic or destroy it completely andf to find ur master. The game could start at the outer sector where Revan is rumoured to be now and then move on to the core planets. You could meet jedi from both previous games as party npcs or just cameos, and they would slowly tell you what is really going on. As for party npcs i still would like to see a male cathar jedi,or you could be given the option to be cathar...that would rule. Jolee should be in it either as playable or as someone you get to talk with. Or you could be revan's son with bastila,that would be cool too,although would resemble the movies too much...Also,the whole thing about the galaxy being crippled has been used. Have the galaxy being in a good state and this whole thing being a yet unknown powerful threat like it was hinted.

I agree with the idea of letting the player choose revan's face. that could easily be done thru in game dialogue, like, you hack into a computer to try and find out where your master could be and are presented with a set of faces of possible matches to ur query and then you click at the one that suits you.

I really hope the game will use a new engine,one that does not rely on the stupid D&D standards of character building. I still cant digest the idea of strenght being involved in lightsaber combat at all, or having a feature called "weapon finesse lightsaber" when lightsabers are pure finesse. Either that or yoda lifts weights at the gym everyday. removable hoods/capes should be as on-the-fly as putting ur lightsaber away,which you shouldnt have to carry on ur hand on the first place,it should be on ur belt and you should just do like yoda and have it telepathically come to ur hand when u're about to fight. Also, pls dont have the whole "ill gain influence with you and then suddenly you shall become a jedi when i snap my fingers". Thats just cheap. A new ship instead of the ebon hawk would be good, even if for part of the game. As for the party,either a smaller one,or have you actually use everyone in the party. And maybe with the new consoles we can have more than 3 characters on the party at any given time. 4 would rock,although i rather have a smaller party and be able to really develop each one than have a huge one that are really useless.

Well given that KOTOR was 4000 years before the Empire, and KOTOR II was 5 years after that, then if they follow the pattern then we can look forward to 800 or so more KOTOR games before we get too episode I. I'm sure Obsidian are up for that!  :D

KOTOR 765- The Training of Yoda

"I tried the most potent Noise Amplification spell once upon a time. Mavellous spell. I could hear the birds speaking to one another in trees over the horizon, I could hear the rustlings as the clouds rubbed against each other in the sky. I could hear the sound a rainbow makes as it arches it's back over the world. Then a dog barked behind me and I burst my left eardrum."

true, KOTOR is a time period...not just the Revan saga.

IMO, the Revan saga needs to be wrapped up first and then we can talk about prequels.

I personally would not mind a prequel trilogy based on Exar Kun and the Sith War (which is only a few decades before the time of Revan).

Basically, you play a padawan to Nomi Sunrider.

This is all bullsh...t. LA won't start working on KOTOR III until new consoles will have the high ground.

Expect this game in 2008.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

This is all bullsh...t. LA won't start working on KOTOR III until new consoles will have the high ground.

Expect this game in 2008.

I don't know when the release date is but the president of LA recently said in an interview that they are looking forward to two story-oriented games: the Indiana Jones game and a "Holy Grail" project (which is presumably already under way).

I think the Holy Grail is K3.

What makes you think so?

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.