KOTOR III after KOTOR II!

Guest MacleodCorp

Guest MacleodCorp

http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html...427948&forum=76

I guess it has been made official in a magazine that Obsidian Ent. will be making KOTOR III. Now, the question that comes to mind is:

Do you think Obsidian will make a good KOTOR III after a contraversial KOTOR II? Do you think they will release patches on time for KOTOR III? Do you believe that Obsidian has a storyline?

Kotor 3 is in the works coming straight from obsidian. not much has been said but debating titles: kotor 3 revan returns,and kotor3 the end.expect improved graphics and full robes including "cover the whole head" helmets.storyline is being covered up but the main thing this time around is expect to play the exile, and expect a final battle between the exile and revan. also if you fall to the darkside You will be able to choose from a list of darth names.and finally expect a trip to revans homeworld.
-Said By Dark Jedi Master 89

I have seen this before.

By golly I hope Revan is in Kotor III

Revan :thumbsup:

From the 3 pages I read, didn't see any links and all that people were asking for, but assuming it's all true for now (and it does seem quite believable), I look forward to the fact that it's the end rather than the new graphics, combat or anything else.

...storyline is being covered up but the main thing this time around is expect to play the exile, and expect a final battle between the exile and revan.

I'm one of those that didn't like Obsidian's and/or LucasArts's style of story they used in KotOR 2, and this speculated Exile vs Revan is something which I admit is interesting, but in the end just warps the whole story even more from the original KotOR. I'll still get it though cos I do want to see if they do a Return of the Jedi style closing (or a Revan-to-Bastila :thumbsup: ).

I'd also rather I was Revan (but unless you do a Jedi Outcast, it'll be hard to do) or a new character...anyone but Exile - that character is just damaged goods; I don't want to play some force-bond making, force-hollow loser.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

I liked Kotor2 better than the first game in terms of the improvements they made to it. THe forms, conversational influence according to ur characters's abilities and force powers. What I loved/hated was the combat animations.

Now, if u guys just hit pause everytime ur character makes a swing, u'd realise that they actually made quite an effort to make the combat look good. The animation looked good, in short. However, the reactions to ur character's swings are often not in sync, or in accordance to ur character's attack, vice versa, when the enemy attacks u, ur character often reacts using the most absurd blocks or moves that do not dodge the blow. *BUT the combat recognises as the blow being dodged or blocked*

2nd Gripe about the combat. Its too bloody static. Basically, what happens is, u see enemy, enemy sees u, u run towards each other, and stand in front of each other and swing away, occasionally twisting trying to dodge blows. Now, it really doesn't hurt to be more mobile, like occassionally doing a backflip while an enemy lunges, or stepping to the side and into a forward to score a critical hit to an enemy's back. And it doesnt hurt if they add in some special attacks for the different saber styles (like jedi academy), eg. The butterfly for the saberstaffers, or some spinng dual saber lunge. Obsidian can really research some kung fu films to get an idea on how ppl REALLY fight with weapons. These special stunts don't have to happen all the time, but at least give the players the option to FEEL really cool when fighting.

3rd Gripe. Whatever happened to using the force to fling a coke can at someone? Some interactive environments would really help. Like Force Push some object into the average next door sith assassin or Dark lord. Even have some really cool force battles so that the Jedi Masters or Sith Lords can look cool, instead of letting the guardian type characters steal whole the show.

Okay, I have to say this, but Kotor2's main plot was weak. And it was so because it literally gave away Kotor3. But the sub plots was pretty fun. Especially when u realise that even the big bad darth exile helped Onderon to overthrow the republic, he inadvertantly stabilised the planet and help it become stronger and untouched by war for a while. The force works in mysterious ways... even manipulating the darkest action, for good. Sounds a bit biblical eh?

Anyways, Perhaps it might NOT be a good idea to have Revan and Exile as player' characters but as NPC's instead. It would be cool to start out as padawan instead, going by the normal route. The new player character must then choose to be influenced by either a Neutral Revan, (i would think Revan was a bit swayed by the old man in Kotor1), or a Dark Exile. (Logically speaking, a Goody two shoe jedi exile would probably not have made his way to rendezvous with Revan, as being a finally enlightend patient jedi, he would seek to aid in reestablishing of the jedi council). And finally, because Powerful Jedi is pushing for neutrality, another powerful for dark, it would make being Light a personal choice for the player, allower the player to make radical decisions, that are "Light." Finally, being good can be cool... at last. Of course, allow the player to sway these 2 UberPowerfulJediMasters to the Light.

But i guess, Kotor 3 has to finally kill the gender issue. Simple, Make Revan male, and exile female. Of course, all of us players will be whining, "BUT I WAS A GIRL WHEN I FIRST PLAYED KOTOR!" The history of the plot isn't totally important, cos sure as hell, in kotor3, Revan or exile won't have any of the uberweapons and equiptment they got in the previous games, so why complain about the gender issue? Lets just enjoy the plot and carry on with the game.

Cut scenes and cinematics. It just doesnt cut it now.... I mean, 2 guys who don't see eye to eye, stand 20 ft apart, talk, then clashes, then backs off, talk and clashes again. Whatever happened to those obscenities and unpleasantries that can be uttered in a crucial saber lock? Or while the cut scene is showing some combat? Heck, u can even make these "action-animated" cutscenes conversational, like saying something that would Piss/please Darth Sion off in a saberlock, then it determines the

outcome of the cutscene. Is it impossible to do?

I believe Kotor3 has the potential to blur the line of adventure games, and really turn it into an adventure that would leave gamers talking for time to come. Just playing kotor and kotor2 has given and set for me so many standards that I would WANT in a game. And seriously speaking, it has set the bar for the games I purchase.

It has been a long post. But i've still got tons of ideas, and things that I hope to see in the next kotor. So thats all for now.

Oh... another thing... I WANNA SEE A WOOKIE JEDI!!

Jedi Knight, Zaphael

Obsidian wanted Harharr to become a forcewielder, but wasn't allowed by Lucasarts. Apparantly, Mr. Star Wars himself says that wookies can't become Jedi/Sith.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It would be very disapointing to see OE make K3 now...

Don't get me wrong I really liked K2 and I view Obs as one of the best developers out there...

I just want PNJ to be their own IP...

I wouldn't mind seeing k3 as their 4th project tho...

I don't want Revan and Exile to fight :p . Why can't they be friends? (w00t)

Given the choice between the two, I would much rather play as Revan. Sure the Exile is nice and all, but Revan is so much cooler has all this mystery surrounding him/her. :D

How will they deal with the many faces of Revan, I wonder. They could have a kinda spiritual scene where all the possible Revan' s are fighting in the war,( the jedi of the madalorian wars or something) like a memory, and you have to pick out which one is Revan. The LS/DS stuff for later could be done the same way as KOTOR2- dialogue.

It would be very disapointing to see OE make K3 now...

Don't get me wrong I really liked K2 and I view Obs as one of the best developers out there...

I just want PNJ to be their own IP...

I wouldn't mind seeing k3 as their 4th project tho...

Well there was a hint of a fourth project although it could have just been the language that was used. You could read it either way.

Well they already said PNJ isnt KOTORIII devs dont usually outright lie about things like that.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Well there was a hint of a fourth project although it could have just been the language that was used. You could read it either way.

Aye,the MCA interview,right?

Well they already said PNJ isnt KOTORIII devs dont usually outright lie about things like that.

:p

Yup,I remember,but who knows...

Anyway K3 sounds good,as long as the general feeling of K2 remains...

Aye,the MCA interview,right?

:p

Yup,I remember,but who knows...

Anyway K3 sounds good,as long as the general feeling of K2 remains...

Think so yes.

The darker less obvious stuff is pretty much a BIS and now Obsidian signiture.

Looks like I may have to buy a 360 after all.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

2nd Gripe about the combat. Now, it really doesn't hurt to be more mobile, like occassionally doing a backflip while an enemy lunges, or stepping to the side and into a forward to score a critical hit to an enemy's back.  And it doesnt hurt if they add in some special attacks for the different saber styles (like jedi academy), eg. The butterfly for the saberstaffers, or some spinng dual saber lunge.

Great idea and should be very do-able too. If they could do Force Jump attack in KotOR then I don't see why they couldn't implement the Butterfly or the kung-fu kicks of the Saber-staff and the dual saber twirling or the thing where you Saber-throw your spare saber in a saber lock thing. (See Jedi Academy for more detail)

But i guess, Kotor 3 has to  finally kill the gender issue.  Simple, Make Revan male, and exile female.  Of course, all of us players will be whining, "BUT I WAS A GIRL WHEN I FIRST PLAYED KOTOR!"  The history of the plot isn't totally important, cos sure as hell, in kotor3, Revan or exile won't have any of the uberweapons and equiptment they got in the previous games, so why complain about the gender issue?  Lets just enjoy the plot and carry on with the game.

This really depends on who you end up playing as, but assuming you don't play as Revan, I think Revan should be male because one of the major quests was the Bastila romance which was carefully written to follow similar lines to Episode 2, where as with Carth it was like Han and Leia, who didn't have any Jedi issues.

It also shortens development/design times because you elimate mapping out all the different possilbilities.

As long as the main player is gender choosable, it should be enough replay value.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Nothing but another rumor until someone from the companies involved say anything about it.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

2nd Gripe about the combat.  Its too bloody static.  Basically, what happens is, u see enemy, enemy sees u, u run towards each other, and stand in front of each other and swing away, occasionally twisting trying to dodge blows.  Now, it really doesn't hurt to be more mobile, like occassionally doing a backflip while an enemy lunges, or stepping to the side and into a forward to score a critical hit to an enemy's back. 

Actually, this is already happening _if_ you are hi-level, although not enough in my opinion. There are some invisible feats in the game that are assigned to you at certain levels. They take care for the better combat moves. Slight spoiler:

Try fighting unarmed in the Mandelorian Battle Ring on Dxun while you're level 18 or so.

Guest MacleodCorp

I wander if the announcement date is getting closer. for most of the game sites have information about this possibility.

I think there is a good chance that Obsidian is working on K3 AND that it is NOT Project New Jersey.

I suspect they are already working on the story and possibly voice acting with LA.

There are alot of ways they can talk around the issue without actually lying....that is probably the case here.

Here is the thing: Obsidian is already developing their own next-gen RPG engine for PNJ. Why not use the same engine for K3? I suspect that is what they are doing.

I think there is a good chance that Obsidian is working on K3 AND that it is NOT Project New Jersey.

I suspect they are already working on the story and possibly voice acting with LA.

There are alot of ways they can talk around the issue without actually lying....that is probably the case here.

Here is the thing:  Obsidian is already developing their own next-gen RPG engine for PNJ.  Why not use the same engine for K3?  I suspect that is what they are doing.

They did say they didn't want to use the same engine again...so you could be right there.

Sources. All of this is merely another thread of speculation and "what we want in K3" without viable sources. Meh.

When we get something official I'll comment further.

I'm pretty sure it will be made. The only thing that concerns me is that this is an RPG we are talking about here and there are not really alot of companies that produce good, Western-style cRPGs these days.

If we were talking about a FPS or a hack-and-slash then they could get just about anybody to do it but....and you don't give K3 to someone who has never produced a cRPG. And, apparently, they no longer want to do it in-house.

Ah, the suspense.

Dude this sucks, I sincerely hope its a rumour... "expect to be the exile and to fight revan at the end",thats just gay! I dont care any for the exile,he is a sissy disconnected from the force,who "uses the force thru others". Well i dont care how you explain it, either give me a real jedi or no one at all. Revan shudnt "be fought at the end"! He's the one that started it all! reval is power, revan is what it meant to me in 2003 to be a jedi, strong in the force, i dont want to fight him! I want to either be him or be his student. The exile at most should have a cameo appearance, I want Juhani,Jolee,Bastila, and some other real jedis,not the kind that you gain influence with and suddenly they "turn" to jedis.

I dont give a crap about "full facial masks" either. I want a decent game engine, I want lightsaber combat to be consistent with the movies and away from using "strenght", I want a bug free game without plot holes that visits coruscant,hoth and other cool planets of the starwars universe. If what has been said about k3 turns out to b true, Im boycotting it.

Guest MacleodCorp
Dude this sucks, I sincerely hope its a rumour... "expect to be the exile and to fight revan at the end",thats just gay! I dont care any for the exile,he is a sissy disconnected from the force,who "uses the force thru others". Well i dont care how you explain it, either give me a real jedi or no one at all. Revan shudnt "be fought at the end"! He's the one that started it all! reval is power, revan is what it meant to me in 2003 to be a jedi, strong in the force, i dont want to fight him! I want to either be him or be his student. The exile at most should have a cameo appearance, I want Juhani,Jolee,Bastila, and some other real jedis,not the kind that you gain influence with and suddenly they "turn" to jedis.

I dont give a crap about "full facial masks" either. I want a decent game engine, I want lightsaber combat to be consistent with the movies and away from using "strenght", I want a bug free game without plot holes that visits coruscant,hoth and other cool planets of the starwars universe. If what has been said about k3 turns out to b true, Im boycotting it.

I found some in game dialog, which cleared the 'Echo' storyarch up, but I don't know the tags for spoilers...