Look at this

Look at the very bottom of the article and it says that it was posted in august of last year. Here is a quote for all of you who may doubt me.

"On the project front, an informed industry source said the team attached to the early stages of development on Knights of the Old Republic 3 was let go in yesterday's layoff.

By Curt Feldman -- GameSpot

POSTED: 08/13/04 12:25 PM PST"

Talk about a slow news day. :(

So, if you were Peter Hirschmann (vice president of product development -- a two-year LucasArts vet and former Electronic Arts producer), who would you want to make KotOR3?

Now, as a fanboy, what developer would you want to make K3 ?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Games should be judged on their own merits, not rated higher or lower based on other examples in the market.

Yes and no. What defines "greatness" is a comparison to something. Why are some women "beautiful"? Because they possess physical attributes that are "better" than other women. Why is Barry Bonds a great baseball player? Because he can hit more homeruns than the other players.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Yet you fail to notice a distinct difference in those situations from the one which we discuss. If something is good, it should be rated highly because of its quality, not because of its superiority to something else.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I dunno.  Of the current gaming companies, I'd say Bioware and Obsidian are responsible for my favorite games (yes, Obsidian only has one to their credit).  But I suppose it's subjective, however IMO, Bioware DOES create great games.  Atleast in comparison to what else is on the market in that genre.

I think that speaks of lack of competition rather than quality. Obsidian didnt get off to the best of starts with KOTORII. KOTOR II is very much about seeing the potential. On the other hand JE had a lot of development time and the result was rather blerggg. KOTOR lowered the bar to a 40 hour playtime, do we really want to see 20 hours as the average RPG length?

Personally I'd place ShadowHearts II above all three of them.

While I cant say I'm interested in NwNII, just not going to upgrade my PC for a couple of titles. I am interested in how Obsidian pull it off and especially if they manage to capture some of KOTORII's.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Yes and no.  What defines "greatness" is a comparison to something.  Why are some women "beautiful"?  Because they possess physical attributes that are "better" than other women.  Why is Barry Bonds a great baseball player?  Because he can hit more homeruns than the other players.

Thats probably why those games are much lower down on my list than everyone eleses , at least by that criteria.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Oh god am I tired of defending Bioware's story skills. Think of it this way: Bioware devoloped KOTOR. You say Bioware makes okay games. KOTOR won game of the year from numerous websites and magazines in 2003. Do you really think all those people would give the award of Game of the Year to an okay game? I personally read most of the magazines that gave KOTOR the big award, and I know that they have a tough rating system, and that if they say a game is good, it most likely will be. I'm not saying they're always right, I'm saying they're mostly right. And they have given good scores to almost all of Bioware's games. So, back on topic, if Bioware chose they wanted to do KOTOR 3, it would most likely be an excellent game. I know that it's only my opinion, so you don't have to go insulting my definition of a good game, but it seems that the majority of the people agree that Jade Empire and KOTOR and other Bioware games were great games. And given their reputation as makers of great games, if they developed KOTOR 3, it would appeal to a large group of people. Because lets say this kid played and enjoyed Jade, ao when he sees BioWare developed KOTOR 3, he'll know they make games that he likes, so he'll know that this KOTOR 3 will probably be good. Casual gamers would usually buy a game from a big name developer, like Mario and Zelda and Halo, so they know it will be above average. Not perfect, but above average.

I know I'm using a lot of most likely's and probably's, but what I'm trying to say is that a lot of gamers would buy KOTOR 3 because BioWare, rather then some no name company, developed it.

And thats my two cents, thank you folks, good night. <_<

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

Yet you fail to notice a distinct difference in those situations from the one which we discuss. If something is good, it should be rated highly because of its quality, not because of its superiority to something else.

But that's what you don't seem to get. It's "quality" is always in comparison to something similar.

Take the game Pong for instance. In comparison to the quality now, is it a great game? No, of course not. But at the time, when it was the standard for games, it was considered a lot of fun.

Try and come up with why certain games are fun for you. I doubt you can go through the process without atleast relating the positives to some other game or games that you played that didn't quite match up.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I think that speaks of lack of competition rather than quality. Obsidian didnt get off to the best of starts with KOTORII. KOTOR II is very much about seeing the potential. On the other hand JE had a lot of development time and the result was rather blerggg. KOTOR lowered the bar to a 40 hour playtime, do we really want to see 20 hours as the average RPG length?

Personally I'd place ShadowHearts II above all three of them.

While I cant say I'm interested in NwNII, just not going to upgrade my PC for a couple of titles. I am interested in how Obsidian pull it off and especially if they manage to capture some of KOTORII's.

You just proved my point to that other guy. The fact is you rate KOTOR II IN COMPARISON to what you expect from a game, just like you rate JE IN COMPARISON to what you expect to see in a game.

I still like Pong. And the original Space Invaders is kewl. (w00t)

Bom-Bom-Bom-Bom,

Bom-Bom-Bom-Bom,

wee-plink, wee-plink.

Bom-Bom-Bom-Bom ...

That sound track actually starts to set your heartbeat ... you end up with a racing pulse by the time you finish. Brilliant. :(

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Oh god am I tired of defending Bioware's story skills. Think of it this way: Bioware devoloped KOTOR. You say Bioware makes okay games. KOTOR won game of the year from numerous websites and magazines in 2003. Do you really think all those people would give the award of Game of the Year to an okay game?

Yes because they have to award it to something. Game of the year depends on what else was out that year. If the competition is minimal then any big name title can get it.

Before you can laud something for being game of the year you have to look at what other games were released that year too , in order to get a full picture.

478327[/snapback]

You just proved my point to that other guy.  The fact is you rate KOTOR II IN COMPARISON to what you expect from a game, just like you rate JE IN COMPARISON to what you expect to see in a game.

Purely accidental I assure you :D

478327[/snapback]

I still like Pong. And the original Space Invaders is kewl. (w00t)

Still waiting for Atari to release a patch for Pac-Man that fixes the endgame bug :("

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Just because some workers were laid off, it doesn't mean they would cancel the whole project. Remember, it was during early stages of development. If they weren't that far in, I think they would try again with new staff. Better staff. Like, lets say, Bioware?

This is a possibility, and if it was only the staff working on KOTOR III then I would agree, but from the article it was suggesting that Lucasarts had basically gutted itself to save money.

I hope your right, I really do. I'd like to see a KOTOR III...a good KOTOR III, not a rushed 20 hour 'epic' because the publisher needs some quick money because of it's outrageously bad management.

If I could decide who should make the game then I would have Obsidian do the story but Bioware the game engine and the like. Best of both worlds and it gets people doing what they are good at doing. Obsidian do have some of the best storytellers in the business (if given the chance that is), and Bioware, for all its faults, make some good RPG game engines (if they remember that the PC has graphics memory and use textures bigger than 16x16).

I think Bethesda should make the next KOTOR!

I heard most of the devs are big star wars fans anyway...

They could whip up somethin REEAL sweet!! :blink:

Morrowind with lightsabers... :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guest Fishboot

I'm really interested in how Fallout 3 turns out - outside of TES (which I consider to be more or less on another planet from the rest of gaming, for good and bad) I have no idea how Beth would make a "normal" game in-house (AFAIK Seadogs/Pirates of the Carribean were sub-developed). I have no idea if they can even write Black Isle/Obsidian-style dialog, and I don't know if they'll find a way to turn Fallout into something more their typical style. I hope it's an interesting challenge for them.