is there relly going to be a kotor3

You don't really need proof per se, logic tells that if the sales of the first two games are a gauge, then there will be a third game.

And yes, I'm sure some serious diggers will have some sorts of 'proof' I, however, have no such time to research such things.

This will be moved soon, me thinks...

There hasn't been much proof, but It's like the original trilogy. It wasn't official for a while, but everybody knew there would be a Return of the Jedi

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

This is from the KoToR 3: Ideas and Suggestions topic.

See previous threads:

Please feel free to contribute to the ongoing discussion. There is a lot of interest in this topic and keeping input centralised and presented in a clear and articulate manner will have more impact and influence than posting to the contrary ;)

I find it interesting the way the moderator words this statment. What do they mean when they say "have more impact and influence"? Also why would they even bother with keeping the topic going after the first ones became very full. :x <_< :-" :lol:

confirmed evidence:

1. Obsidian will not develop another KoTOR sequel. They have stated this on numerous occasions.

2. LucasArts started the development of K3 as an in-house project but dropped the project and fired the team.

3. The domain www.kotor3.com is registered to a private person in Argentina, not by any official Lucasfilm related bussiness

4. There has been no rumour of either the sale of a license to develop K3 or of any development firm showing interest in the project.

5. The world of computer games is full of cash-bringing franchises that, despite the profits, were dropped after the first sequel.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It has been said, "Those who live by the crystal ball learn to eat broken glass." - With that in mind ...

I think a KotOR3 is most likely in the works.

The "lay off" article cited in this thread initially make me wonder, but it bears a publication date of August 2004 (16/08/2004). From a business standpoint it would have been irrational to abandon KotOR3 without any sales info on KotOR2. Those lay-offs, based on their timing, simply couldn't have meant a decision had been made to abandon KoTOR3. Realistic alternative explanations include, for example, a decision to outsource the remainder of the project; a decision on what company the project would be given to, e.g. Obsidian; a decision that enough decisions on a future KotOR3 had been made so that the ending of KotOR2 could be finalized without jeopardizing any future KotOR3; and/or a decision that there was now enough to run with a KotOR3 if KotOR2 was successful.

The biggest reasons I think a KotOR3 is in the works are the ending of KotOR2 coupled with the way Obsidian has dealt with issues of the ending and the various storyline problems of KotOR2. In a nutshell, it is apparent that the ending or KotOR2 resolves nothing as to either Revan or the Exile. Obsidian, on the other hand, has kept pretty quiet in defense of the ending and storyline choices. Together these occurances tend to indicate further adventures of the Exile, and probably Revan; and that storyline issues will be resolved by something Obsidian can't tell us yet. Also Obsidian has clearly taken full responsibility for the decisions on the ending, indicating IMO a likelihood that the decisions were made with the knowledge that KotOR2 storyline problems would be resolved in KotOR3, which was then in progress.

Finally, the market acceptance and sales of KotOR2 have been, as far as I can tell, quite good, perhaps excellent to spectacular. No rational business walks away from a KotOR3 under those circumstances.

That's my take, for what it's worth.

Finally, the market acceptance and sales of KotOR2 have been, as far as I can tell, quite good, perhaps excellent to spectacular.  No rational business walks away from a KotOR3 under those circumstances.

Your interpretation of the available evidence is as good as anyone else's, to be sure.

I think the ending of K2 was a -- poorly executed -- adequate ending from a plot point of view. I didn't like it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't sufficient to provide closure. It was just as apt as the ending to K1, just that the characters in K2 were of a different ilk. I don't think there is a basis upon which to build a case for a sequel from the state of the end of K2; more than likely any sequel would not mention K2 except in passing.

I did want to add a caveat to your point I have quoted, above: by that logic there would never be an end to a series.

Sure there is Final Fantasy XI. And Ultima X. But there also was only three Jedi Outcast titles, and iIrc the last one was the best. So by your logic there should be a fourth one of those.

As for why the moderators have constrained the febrile ramblings of posters about the sequel to a few threads, well that's just being neat and tidy. Without this effort, the forum would be deluged in everyone's threads of how to make the next game better than this one. :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think the ending of K2 was a -- poorly executed -- adequate ending from a plot point of view. I didn't like it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't sufficient to provide closure. It was just as apt as the ending to K1, just that the characters in K2 were of a different ilk.

I did want to add a caveat to your point I have quoted, above: by that logic there would never be an end to a series.

Sure there is Final Fantasy XI. And Ultima X. But there also was only three Jedi Outcast titles, and iIrc the last one was the best. So by your logic there should be a fourth one of those.

Just a couple thoughts --

In my ending in KotOR1, I resolved my love interests and the fate of the galaxy; then I and my entire crew were given medals with fighter ships flying by and the whole galaxy watching. The ending in KotOR2 wasn't close from a closure standpoint IMO.

There have been many many games that have continued beyond a 2nd or 3rd in a series with lots of fan interest and commercial success. In practice however, at some point ppl begin to lose interest - so its unrealistic to extend my logic on a possible 3rd in a series, to an ad infinitum situation. I'm not familiar with either the Jedi Outcast or iIrc series; but the continuation question revolves primarily around sales and profit (there are of course other factors). Again, I just don't know whether either of these achieved the quantity of sales, cross-market and/or acclaim as KotOR 1 and 2; and I don't recall either being a game of the year.

But crystal balls and broken glass; who knows?

I don't really care too much about KOTOR 3. After playing TSL, I'm sort of turned off from the game. But that's just me.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

During the time of the layoffs from Lucasarts it's been said that some of those laidoff were working on K3, but the project has been DELAYED. There will be a K3 it's just we don't know when.

Yep, it's due shortly after Sam & Max 2, which was also delayed. :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

During the time of the layoffs from Lucasarts it's been said that some of those laidoff were working on K3, but the project has been DELAYED. There will be a K3 it's just we don't know when.

Yep, it's due shortly after Sam & Max 2, which was also delayed. :-

hey,if there gonna be any smart@$$'$ around here its gonna be ME. :-:wub:

While I am hoping for a K3, I think the real question is: "is LA going to continue to produce and/or license immersive, dialogue-heavy RPGs?".

If you ask it like that, I believe the answer is yes.

In a sense, it might be wise for them to let the whole Revan thing cool down and give the EU writers a chance to catch up with it. They could always do some self-contained non-trilogy RPGs (which I think is the best bet).

While I like the Revan thing, I am not super attached to it like some fans. I just really enjoyed playing these games as they were excellent cRPGs set in the SW universe (which I also like alot).

Whether we see a non-KOTOR RPG first or not, I think we will, at some point, get resolution to the Revan/Exile/True Sith thing.

While I am hoping for a K3, I think the real question is:  "is LA going to continue to produce and/or license immersive, dialogue-heavy RPGs?".

If you ask it like that, I believe the answer is yes.

In a sense, it might be wise for them to let the whole Revan thing cool down and give the EU writers a chance to catch up with it.  They could always do some self-contained non-trilogy RPGs (which I think is the best bet).

While I like the Revan thing, I am not super attached to it like some fans.  I just really enjoyed playing these games as they were excellent cRPGs set in the SW universe (which I also like alot).

Whether we see a non-KOTOR RPG first or not, I think we will, at some point, get resolution to the Revan/Exile/True Sith thing.

as long as they get lots of money they probably will.

Frankly, if anyone were to create K3, I would hope it would be Bioware. They made the game very smoothly and the gameplay was good, IMO.

That could have been due to the fact that Obsidian probably didn't have as much time to polish the gameplay, but nevertheless, I enjoyed both games equally well.

Frankly, if anyone were to create K3, I would hope it would be Bioware. They made the game very smoothly and the gameplay was good, IMO.

That could have been due to the fact that Obsidian probably didn't have as much time to polish the gameplay, but nevertheless, I enjoyed both games equally well.

BioWare makes solid RPGs but they do seem to be stuck on the "chosen one" formula. And K3 really needs to NOT be of that formula IMO.

my own preference would be 1) Obsidian, 2) BioWare, 3) Microsoft (just because they have the resources to finish it quickly).

the best scenario is probably some sort of joint venture but I'm not getting my hopes up.

the best scenario is probably some sort of joint venture but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Don't. It's quite frankly impossible considering all the contracts ought to be included when making a deal so prominent. The wait would be forever-lasting

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The chances are that we will never see a Kotor 3. Atleast in the near future, the only ones who would continue on with the backstory would be Obsidian, Bioware and Lucasarts.

But it's not like "Oh no, Kotor 3. No more starwars games". There will probably be games like Outcast and Kotor comming out in the future

But it's not like "Oh no, Kotor 3. No more starwars games". There will probably be games like Outcast and Kotor comming out in the future

right. I suspect LA will be involved in some sort of true, story-driven RPG within the next 3 years....might be a KOTOR title, might not.

we need to be patient...this is a new genre for them.