Season highlight

metadigital

Doctor Who

The Doctor goes into a pseudo-reality tv show. It looks like a cross between The Weakest Link and Big Brother (with Anne Robinson doing a voice for the MC robot).

Actually, the highlight is that ....

it's really the DALEKS deploying a cunning plan!

The Daleks are back, and there are lots of them.

OOOOOOOOOOOOO Happy happy joy joy.

*Does happy dance*

*Does another jig* :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have to say that the episode just completed (the first of the two-parter with the Daleks) was brilliant.

The writing is sharp, the characters interesting and the plot really gripping.

(Maybe I'm biased, but there you go.)

And thee are over 200 ships of 2000 Daleks about to invade the Earth .... and who was that voice ...?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

More interesting if big brother was really like that..

Whatever happens it's a new doctor next series anyway. And as for the voice, well it's really kind of obvious.

I just hope it's not the most obvious. I was kinda hoping he'd been killed. ;) (Finally, for the twentieth time.)

I remember reading Russell T Davies saying that one of his pet peeves with the last few series is that the Daleks ended up as henchmen

for Davros

, which just reduced their stature to Rent-a-crowd Monsters, Inc. So I wasn't expecting his re-appearance. (I still hope he doesn't ... but RTD seems to enjoy his deus ex machina endings ... :) )

I like the overall narrative arc that runs across the entire series: very nice. (I was initially skeptical of the single and double episode format, but the wide leit-motif link has invalidated that worry, nicely.)

And I do like the half-a-million Daleks ... (w00t)

And don't think we're far away from that sort of BB. It would take the Cult of Popularity smack-bang up-to-date and in-line with the Aztec culture it harks from. (The Aztecs would take young late-teenage boys and girls -- virgins -- and they would be feted for a year, living like royalty, literally, before their ceremonial (and very real) sacrifice. For the good of the society.)

People make fun of the Roman colleseum, but its job was re-inforcing law and order: those participants were criminals serving out their punishment -- not volunteers. That's our modern sickness, this cult of popularity (people famous for being famous, like that ditz Hilton).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Nah, I already knew the gist from the preview from last week. As to why I had to wait so long to get it, Im not exactly what you'd call "British." As such, I am forced to alternative means.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Plastic people was utterly crap otherwise it's been an up and down season. Thought he made a pretty good doctor, wonder who they choose next as they are quickly running out of regenerations.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Hopefully this time they've made David Tennant sign up for more than one season. Apparently there have been recriminations within the BBC that they let Christopher Eccleston go.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Thought he did rather a good job all things considered. I dont think anyone could have made the first episode with the plastic people any good.

I watched some of Casanova so I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea. But If its rubbish I'll just stop watching not going to get worked up over 45 minutes a week.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I haven't seen Casanova, but the pictures of the guy look very young. Will he be the youngest Doctor?

Good to see that Billie Piper will likely be back for the whole second series - providing some continuity, at least. I think she's really good - like the Doctor, a good reinvention of what a companion should be.

To say I have grave reservations and I am acutely skeptical of Tennant would be an unnecessary understatement. I am very pleased with Russell T Davies' re-imagining of the series, from the 45 minute episode or two stories with the overarching theme for the series (Bad Wolf), to the re-invention of the characters and their roles. I am not so sure I like the subtle sexual tensions and flirting between the Doctor and his companions, though ...

All in all, great stuff!

("I'm going to rescue her, kill you all and save the universe."

"But you don't have a plan."

"Yes, I know, and it worries you enormously, doesn't it!" :D )

I am a little concerned with Billy Piper (there were rumours that she planned to quit and try her luck in Hollywood -- Haha! Fat chance!), although I agree the new programme needs some continuity. (I thought for a moment last week she had actually been disintergrated ... :huh: )

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

To say I have grave reservations and I am acutely skeptical of Tennant would be an unnecessary understatement. I am very pleased with Russell T Davies' re-imagining of the series, from the 45 minute episode or two stories with the overarching theme for the series (Bad Wolf), to the re-invention of the characters and their roles. I am not so sure I like the subtle sexual tensions and flirting between the Doctor and his companions, though ...

All in all, great stuff!

("I'm going to rescue her, kill you all and save the universe."

"But you don't have a plan."

"Yes, I know, and it worries you enormously, doesn't it!"  :D )

I am a little concerned with Billy Piper (there were rumours that she planned to quit and try her luck in Hollywood -- Haha! Fat chance!), although I agree the new programme needs some continuity.  (I thought for a moment last week she had actually been disintergrated ... o:) )

Doctor Who bonks his way across time and space :shifty:

478327[/snapback]

At least it wasn't Davros.

But I have noticed Russell T Davies' penchant for deus ex machina denouments. Oh well, at least the writing has been of a consistently high standard.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I won't get to see it for a few weeks. :unsure:

There's no chance of avoiding finding out what happens, though - not without severing my internet connection. So I'm guessing the Daleks didn't win, worse luck.

The writer of the last Cybermen novel took all the references to emotionlessness out of the descriptions of the Cybermen; he believed that they were in fact very emotional beings ... despite this being the exact opposite of all the previous notions of the inhabitants of the Tenth Planet and Telos ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT