Regarding finesse...

I'm considering a 10 str guardian/WM with lightsaber finesse. I'm just trying to decide if the extra defense I'd get from dexterity would be a worthwhile trade for the damage I'd lose.

I'm also not sure which primary attack I want to favor. I really liked critical strike in KOTOR. I mostly favored critical for the stun due to my scoundrel/guardian sneak attacks, just wondering if it'll be equally beneficial for a character without sneak attack.

Any thoughts?

Flurry sounds a lot more appealing in this game since the top end version of it has no penalties, but I'm still not sure if that's better than a quadrupled chance to crit. With a keen lightsaber, it really adds up.

Then again, I'm not entirely sure if critical strike and keen stack.

EDIT: Now I'm considering a sentinel/watchman. It'd be close to what I played in KOTOR. :p

Flurry sounds a lot more appealing in this game since the top end version of it has no penalties, but I'm still not sure if that's better than a quadrupled chance to crit. With a keen lightsaber, it really adds up.

Then again, I'm not entirely sure if critical strike and keen stack.

Yes.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Power attack for me never really seems to inflict much damage on anyone, could be because i play consular most of the time though, but not sure if that makes a difference

Power attack for me never really seems to inflict much damage on anyone, could be because i play consular most of the time though, but not sure if that makes a difference

Critical Attack increases the critical attack range. For example, if your lightsabre has a critical atack range of 5% (i.e. criticals on a natural roll of 20 on a d20), then using Power Attack increases the critical threat by double (10% - i.e. a natural 19 or 20). Once the critical threat roll has been achieved, the die is "rolled" again, a normal "hot" indicates the critical attack hit, a miss is just a normal hit. Damage is rolled and any bonus due for critical strike is added as necessary (normally double damage minimum).

So Critical Attack gives a larger spread of damage, whereas a Flurry gives a more even spread (because you attack more times with no double damages).

At high levels the difference is almost negligible, and I think it might even tip the advantage to the Flurry Attack.

Edit: made my dumb Power Attack - Critical Attack mistake disapear.

Edited by metadigital

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Eh, think you mean critical strike. :wub:

I'm starting to wonder if flurry might not be a better choice simply because it wouldn't hurt my defense. That five point penalty always had me a little wary in KOTOR, but it didn't prove to be too tough to overcome.

I'm guessing that critical strike isn't the best choice unless you've got sneak attack to back it up when the stun lands. I don't remember the stun landing on Malak, but he went down fast enough all the same. *ponder*

Eh, think you mean critical strike. :)

I'm starting to wonder if flurry might not be a better choice simply because it wouldn't hurt my defense. That five point penalty always had me a little wary in KOTOR, but it didn't prove to be too tough to overcome.

I'm guessing that critical strike isn't the best choice unless you've got sneak attack to back it up when the stun lands. I don't remember the stun landing on Malak, but he went down fast enough all the same. *ponder*

Of course I did, can't you read? :(" :)

(Power attack is the third attack feat, and initially it takes DC off the attacking PC, which is a Bad Thing at low levels, but makes no nevermind at higher levels.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I used Critical Strike in KotOR I because that was one of the beginning "free" feats for a Scout (which I almost always played). In KotOR II, I believe Power Attack is a "free" feat for a Sentinel (which I almost always play).

I try to use whatever "free" feats I have because I don't like wasting them. Unfortunately, in KotOR II, the game is so easy that it doesn't really matter what you choose because your enemy is going down anyway. :)"

Or if you feel that way inclined you can use your force powers to stun your opponent and then do sneak attack damage while they are stuned (if you are playing a Watchman or Sith Assassin).

I found at the later levels with my Guardian/WM I was able to use Force Push successfully almost all the time against the majority of opponents and they would all then be stunned. Of course I didn't have sneak attack but was able to use Force Jump to get to them and take them out really quickly. In this case it it is the chance to hit that is important rather than the dealing out a couple of extra points damage, so Finesse here comes in handy.

In close combat I always used Master Flurry and Master Speed in combination to ensure that at most it would take 2 rounds to take my enemies out.

Remember to use those Force Powers, they are not just for getting your coffee from the kitchen while you are on the couch. :cool:

If you're going with 10 Strength, you might not want to go with critical strike. To avoid being stunned, the target has to roll a fortitude save of your level plus your strength modifer, which is going to be pretty low.

There are many ways to nullify the defense penalty in this game though, if you're set on using critical strike. Dueling, certain lightsaber styles and (if your PC is male) battle precognition will bump your defense up. Plus if you focus on DEX, you're going to have such a high defense you won't notice the -5.

I personally feel the best combo is a keen saber + crit pumping crystal, master power attack, master speed and master dueling.

But I really love that critical strike animation. It is so "swashbuckler." :D

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

If you're going with 10 Strength, you might not want to go with critical strike. To avoid being stunned, the target has to roll a fortitude save of your level plus your strength modifer, which is going to be pretty low.

There are many ways to nullify the defense penalty in this game though, if you're set on using critical strike. Dueling, certain lightsaber styles and (if your PC is male) battle precognition will bump your defense up. Plus if you focus on DEX, you're going to have such a high defense you won't notice the -5.

There seems to be an inordinate amount of strength-enhancing items, though. Guantlets +5, belts and implants and armour all with fairly sizable bonuses: I would say strengeth is one of the easiest attributes to boost. (Remember that every two strength points added above 10 = +1 bonus.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT