PC Snobs

Foamhead

Until a console can give me a game as complex as a BG or IWD (or even a Warcraft 3), and a control system as good as a mouse and keyboard combo, then I am quite happy to be a computer snob.

Also, because of bad eyesight (check my avatar for the reason!), I like to be able to sit in front of a nice big desk while I play, with my monitor at a height and distance comfortable for me, rather than straining forward in an armchair to play something on my TV.

Finally, with my PC I can surf the net, write e-mails, chat, shop, download music, work etc which I can't do on a console.

At present the only advantage to a console is that it is cheaper than a decent gaming PC - and thus popular with the kiddies - and it has a few exclusive titles (which often get ported to PC anyway).

So did Arcanum. Too bad indeed...

You could be a whore, how cool was that? :lol:)

I just took up Fallout 2 again and you can be a whore there too. Sweet. Ive already made 700$ :lol:)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

At present the only advantage to a console is that it is cheaper than a decent gaming PC - and thus popular with the kiddies - and it has a few exclusive titles (which often get ported to PC anyway).

Not true. Another big advantage consoles have over PCs is that they don't get viruses while PCs can get them easily. So now you have to chuck out big bucks for a nice anti-virus and spyware and firewall and so on. Believe me I know, I think my PC has one cause every time I put in a game it kicks me out.

Not true. Another big advantage consoles have over PCs is that they don't get viruses while PCs can get them easily. So now you have to chuck out big bucks for a nice anti-virus and spyware and firewall and so on. Believe me I know, I think my PC has one cause every time I put in a game it kicks me out.

It

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Besides people were giving tenable arguments here, but he just ignored them.

Maybe becouse they practically won the discussion with obvious technical facts.

And how lamo like this, could admit that he lost?

Your thinking that discussions can be won or lost over the internet provides a rather revealing perspective as to who is immature here.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It

Until a console can give me a game as complex as a BG or IWD (or even a Warcraft 3), and a control system as good as a mouse and keyboard combo, then I am quite happy to be a computer snob.

Also, because of bad eyesight (check my avatar for the reason!), I like to be able to sit in front of a nice big desk while I play, with my monitor at a height and distance comfortable for me, rather than straining forward in an armchair to play something on my TV.

Finally, with my PC I can surf the net, write e-mails, chat, shop, download music, work etc which I can't do on a console.

Crusader destroys warcraft III when it comes to complexity. As for BG and IWD well ancient history, you dont even get those sorts of games on the PC anymore so unless you want to play the same game over and over again your pretty much out of luck.

You could always buy a bigger TV :(

Present advantage of consoles.

Cheaper

Games work out of the box 99.9% of the time

No mucking about with driver updates

For the life of the console every single game released will work on it.

I cant think of any time when a PC has lasted for 4 years able to play games at the same quality it did four years previous.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Crusader destroys warcraft III when it comes to complexity. As for BG and IWD well ancient history, you dont even get those sorts of games on the PC anymore so unless you want to play the same game over and over again your pretty much out of luck.

What's Crusader - a console RTS? I only know Crusader: No Remorse/No Regret.

As to BG/IWD being out of date - the fact is these type of games, when done well, are absolutely my favourite type of game - yet even 7 years after the release of the original BG, no console can yet replicate the type of gameplay found in titles like the infinity engine games.

The sad thing is, very few PC games are replicating that type of gameplay at the moment either... :(

PC's are superior, IMO, because of a few things.

#1 being mods.

EA's F1 Challenge on PC blows away the console version, simply due to it being moddable. 60+ extra tracks, dozens of extra types of cars vs the stock stuff on the console version.

Morrowind on PC vs Morrowind on XBox. Not really close (IMO).

#2 being Real-time strategy games.

StarCraft (and the like) can't be touched by a console controls. You need a mouse and keys to play it effectively. I think I remember seeing a version of Warcraft on a console, and it was horrid (I could be wrong on the game, it's been a while).

#3 being able to do other things.

I probably spend, on average, about $150 a year on upgrading my computer (I continually upgrade, and so never by a complete system, and I also have a 2nd system where my older parts go, gradually cycling old parts to the trash bin), and it can do so much more than play games. Create DVDs and CDs. Browse the net. Pay my bills. Word processing (this matters if you type lots) and printing, and you can go on. I've not spent a penny on PC hardware this year, and the only thing I might purchase is a vid card (my current one is a BFG 5500 256mb card). But that's only a maybe, if I get a game that requires something stronger (I've not got a game that can't play on full graphis settings with that card, apart from EQ2, which my understanding is that no comp can play that game on full settings yet).

My PS2 cost about $200 2.5 or so years ago, and granted, that's all it cost (well, apart from having to buy a 2nd controller and buying a 2nd memory card). But all it can do is play games. And those games don't look as good as the games I have on PC. F1 Challenge on PC looks a ton better than GT3, for example.

With the next gen of consoles costing $300 - $500, it's even less likely I'll consider them money well-spent, unless the number of titles available for PC drops considerably (which wouldn't surprise me, unfortunately).

#4 PC is what I'm used to.

I've had a PC-type system since the Commodore 64 (the best gaming system of the 80's, by far). I don't like using a controller when I could use a keyboard much more effectively (racing games notwithstanding, as I have a wheel for PC and PS2). I do have a controller for my PC, but only one game uses it (the latest Fifa game). It's much easier to control, in most games, with a keyboard than a controller, to me. Probably because I've been using mouse/keyboard more often and for longer, but that's how it is.

What's Crusader - a console RTS? I only know Crusader: No Remorse/No Regret.

The only Crusdaer I can think of is Stronghold: Crusader which is a PC RTS Castle building sim.

"I cant think of any time when a PC has lasted for 4 years able to play games at the same quality it did four years previous."

I will give you a cookie if you can tell me why. Well, I wont, but still.

It seems one of the main things that comes up in debates like this is that computers need to be updated and crap, and cost less. Well, from my experience PS2's are absolutely nowhere near being even remotely close to reliable.

and some would say, well, "computer games are all buggy n' stuff". When I walk up to a wall in a console game, my arm sticks through it, and I can see everything on the other side, I consider that a bug. When I'm playing smackdown, and I'm on the top rope, and my opponent is lying on the outside of the ring, 8 feet away, and I drop the elbow, and I overshoot him by 15 feet, and nail the guard rail, and stick to the bloody thing, I kinda consider that a bug.

It seems one of the main things that comes up in debates like this is that computers need to be updated and crap, and cost less.  Well, from my experience PS2's are absolutely nowhere near being even remotely close to  reliable. 

and some would say, well, "computer games are all buggy n' stuff".  When I walk up to a wall in a console game, my arm sticks through it, and I can see everything on the other side, I consider that a bug.  When I'm playing smackdown, and I'm on the top rope, and my opponent is lying on the outside of the ring, 8 feet away, and I drop the elbow, and I overshoot him by 15 feet, and nail the guard rail, and stick to the bloody thing, I kinda consider that a bug.

It's called clipping and you see it in pretty much every 3d game. KOTOR has it KOTORII has it and Jade Empire has it to name a few. Happens on the PC too so it's hardly something you can hold the PS2 responsible for. Even in the shiny new FPS games bodies still get stuck in walls.

It's so common that it's not even considered a bug.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I have AVG and an anti-spyware program. I don't care too much for AVG though cause it always updates itself which can screw me up when playing a game. Where'd you get Zone Alarm though?

zone alarm >_<

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

It's called clipping and you see it in pretty much every 3d game. KOTOR has it KOTORII has it and Jade Empire has it to name a few. Happens on the PC too so it's hardly something you can hold the PS2 responsible for. Even in the shiny new FPS games bodies still get stuck in walls.

It's so common that it's not even considered a bug.

Hmm, yea, your deffinetly right, but I consider the whole elbow drop thing lazy programming. I don't know anytihng about programming, but still. It was Over shooting the guys that really bugged me. In No Mercy for the N64, your flight path would adjust. But I guess when your trying to pump out sequals in record breaking time, you don't get a chance to be a perfectionist. I'm not implying that all console dev teams adhere to this philosophy though

I think it will be possible to download demos and patches on Xbox 360.

I really want a console to replace this stupid PC.

the only thing I might purchase is a vid card

Get the soon to be released ATI X900 (the cheapest version) with 16 pipelines and Shader Model 3, buy Splinter Cell 3.

I've not got a game that can't play on full graphis settings with that card, apart from EQ2, which my understanding is that no comp can play that game on full settings yet

There are very powerful PCs but EQ2 is one of the most poorly optimized games ever made.

Okay sweetums I finished my job thingy and now that I am back home I will address a few things.

Well if you don't have time for writing appropriate posts, why bother and later making excuses with your vaunted job? I have a job too (although you baselessly assumed otherwise) but I don't need to cover clumsiness with it, like you. Do something right, or don't do at all.

"Appropriate"??? I didn' know it was a breech of social ettiquite to not share your piddly butt opinions. My "vaunted" job does qualify as an excuse because I would rather do what I get paid to do then argue with a teenager over his inability to understand anything that is not written in a simple and clearly obvious format so he can get it. Tossing newspapers on peoples lawns is a job in a technical sense, but when you grow up you will learn that actual big boy jobs are much more demanding then being able to read.

No I don't get your "subtle message". You seem to be an immature lamer

I find being called an "Immature lamer", like, funny dood. Me n' mah boiz are like, laughin' n' stuff

who came here to abuse PC users

Yes the waves of abuse I unleashed at everyone here was truly a grand display. I can't believe the amount of cursing and racial slurs came from my virgin keyboard.

with thesis based on ignorance

A thesis usually contains about 30 to a hundred pages, depending on the subject and university in question. I realize my short paragraph was quite a taxing read for one such as yourself but please don't assume everyone else is a semi-literate monkey that somehow knows how to operate a computer. (This was another subtle hint, try and figure it out)

otherwise you wouldn't ignore arguments of your opponents).

I didn't ignore them I just want to read what everyone said first and make a longer reply when I am not tired.

Your opinion clearly suggested that all PC RPG games suck and nobody likes them. While situation looks inversely. So don't try to twist the meaning of your statement. Rest of your blurb is quite insulting and proves that indeed, you are a frustrated moron

I'll dumb it down a shade or two for you. What I was indirectly saying is most rpg fans pretend to dislike games they actually like so as not to appear foolish in front of the other crpg elitest snobs who also secretly like the game.

Me go eat now back later stuff.

a%20-%20Apophis.jpg"Foolish mortal - kneel before your God!"

awesome >_<

On Topic: Hope this topic doesn't end in a flamewar. :ph34r: Heres to hoping.

Imo. one of the reasons some PC gamers may have a dislike to consoles.

Could it be because the sequels to some previously PC-only titles were released on console. Then ported to PC.

Usually resulting in only ending said franchise, as they alienated the original fanbase and failed to win over the console market 'target demographic'. Its no surprise really. What with most never having played the originals.

example :

Ghost Recon 2

Deus Ex2 : IW

Thief3 : DS

All much poorer(sp?) shadows of their former inspirations.

Discussion:

Many developers today primarily focus on consoles, with PC a mere afterthought.

This could create a snowball effect - where more and more developers go console preference first. As that is where the money is.

Leaving fewer devs primarily focused on PC. There are fundamental differences between PC and console. Design, aesthetics, focus, you could say it was whole different playing field.

We have in essence become a 'niche' market. Maybe we always were.

Think Bethesda Software. Think Fallout 3.

->Fallout1 : PC -> Isometric, Turn-based, M-rated, Fun.

->Fallout2 : PC -> see ^

->Fallout3 : PC/X360 -> ???

sorry for the dbl post. >_<"