PC Snobs

Foamhead

There is no age limit for games. You think it makes you more childish to play on a console? That's just ridiculous. I bought my first console at 25 and my brother at 30. It's the game you play that make it childish. Of course if you're talking about Nintendo that's different, they only have childish games. :rolleyes:

Just because you get to kill people in a game doesn't make it any more mature. If you ask me, gun-based violence and stealing cars is a whole lot more childish and immature than a platform or adventure game.

It's games like GTA and Quake that are childish, not Mario or Zelda. <_<

I thought the :wub: was rather evident.

Bah. I have a terrible headache. Both my reading ability and sarcasm detector are on the fritz, evidently.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I think it's safe to say that Volourn is a console fanboy, so everything he says on this matter can be ignored. Now, being a PC and console gamer I think I can safely say that my opinion means a bit more than Volourn's or Nurb's. (the PC fanboy) Now, I enjoy playing on both very much. Both have their different advantages and disadvatages. PCs Pros: Better graphics, can handle more things in a game because of the hard drive. Cons: PCs can easily get a virus in them, screwing up your gaming experience.

Console Pros: No having to install games, not having to worry about your card being good enough to play the game and are cheaper than PCs. Cons: No upgrading of the graphics and no downloading mods and such.

Both are very good but I prefer PCs.

This is what Nintendo had to say on the next gen subject.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, meanwhile, cast doubt on the efforts of both Sony and Microsoft, complaining that the concentration on CPU power and high definition visuals would "bloat up development costs".

Once again, Iwata's message was that Nintendo wants to attract non-gamers to the medium by creating games that differ from the current crop, citing Nintendogs as an example of how it's already started to do this. "We're not about selling new kinds of TVs or taking control of the living room," he added on the subject of technology.

Lets see my take on PC gaming.

If your willing to pay for it its great. Otherwise you have to compromise more and more the older your machine gets. How many people here say oh well my PC wont play that. Never happens with a console, for the life of the console it will play everything.

It's really only this generation that the gap has become narrow enough but I've got no regrets whatsoever about "jumping ship" next gen the gap will narrow even more to the point where its insignificant.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I'm going to try this only once ... the Big Green is feeling ornery ... post with respect and discuss the topic and not the person. If you can't, use PM ... and if that proves too trying, I imagine I can help temper the zeal to flame and bait ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

The gap between pc and console is so narrow it could be considered non existent. Both have the same type of games and nowadays many games are released on all platforms.

At the beginning of a console's life it will out do the average contemporary PC. Then there will come a period when the average PC will outdo the console and then a while later a new console comes out etc.

As far as gaming is concerned its like arguing which is the better out of chocolate or vanilla ice cream.

why exactly are you hoping a mod will come by and lock this bad dog up when a flame war is exactly what you were trying to incite?

IT DOESNT MATTER WHY YOU ASKED!!!!

So you say you enjoy playing console huh, well I'd like to reasure you becuase that is what its all about after all.

i wasnt trying to incite a flame war :p to tell you the truth i just like seeing the messages mods leave when they close a topic, but thats irrelevant, the point is that this topic was bound to turn into a flame war because consolers and PC'ers cant simply admit that both have their good points aswell as flaws but they are so arrogant and stuck up that they try to come up with a hundred and one reasons why console is better than PC or vice versa plus there have been atleast 20 topics like this already and not many of them havent been locked due to flaming.

While I agree that there are many merrits for Consoles I've been using PCs too long to see the point of myself getting a console.

Bikkering about them is both a waste of time and energy however. I seriously doubt anyone in the "fanboy" camp on either side will suddenly hear a single arguement from the otherside and be suddenly won over.

One thing I will add though is that I understand Nintendo's position entirely. I've seen the new screens from the next-gen console games and I keep hearing people going "Wow, that console has great graphics..." WRONG, that console can support games that have great graphics - but it doesn't automatically mean that every game that appears on that console will have the exact same level of graphics - I hope people don't grow to expect that from every new game that comes out. Personally I think the pinnicle of game graphics is only a few years away, at the most, but as John Carmack (I think) said, graphics are not the be all and end all, and people are (or so I thought were) wanting depth and originality. So naturally I appreciate Nintendo's stance on the matter, and I believe the next level of games lies beyond mere eye-candy. Besides, with everything having to be as detailed graphically as possible, it is bloody expensive, and I hope some of the more bolder game designers aren't scared off from making their games because they know people won't buy their games because "Oh, it doesn't look as good as genericgame08" or something - thus meaning they divert a high proportion of funds just to make the game look "acceptable" and skimp on some pretty neat ideas because they don't have the time or money to include them anymore.

i would have to say chocolate...vanilla is way too plain, but i do remember one summer when this ice cream van sold vanilla ice creams so deliciously milky that i had about 5 more.. oh gawd im hungry....i can make my own oven pizza's with toppings and i can make my own sphagetti with garlic, sweetcorn, tuna and sometimes mushrooms when im lucky.

but right now im gonna go get some chocolate ice cream outta the freezer but it takes a while to go soft so i will take it out then go to the toilet..maybe watch some cartoons then put it in.

While I agree that there are many merrits for Consoles I've been using PCs too long to see the point of myself getting a console.

Bikkering about them is both a waste of time and energy however. I seriously doubt anyone in the "fanboy" camp on either side will suddenly hear a single arguement from the otherside and be suddenly won over.

One thing I will add though is that I understand Nintendo's position entirely. I've seen the new screens from the next-gen console games and I keep hearing people going "Wow, that console has great graphics..." WRONG, that console can support games that have great graphics - but it doesn't automatically mean that every game that appears on that console will have the exact same level of graphics - I hope people don't grow to expect that from every new game that comes out. Personally I think the pinnicle of game graphics is only a few years away, at the most, but as John Carmack (I think) said, graphics are not the be all and end all, and people are (or so I thought were) wanting depth and originality. So naturally I appreciate Nintendo's stance on the matter, and I believe the next level of games lies beyond mere eye-candy. Besides, with everything having to be as detailed graphically as possible, it is bloody expensive, and I hope some of the more bolder game designers aren't scared off from making their games because they know people won't buy their games because "Oh, it doesn't look as good as genericgame08" or something - thus meaning they divert a high proportion of funds just to make the game look "acceptable" and skimp on some pretty neat ideas because they don't have the time or money to include them anymore.

It dosnt always work out that way. The PS2 is argueably the least powerful of the consoles, yet sony won this war hands down and the one before that against the N64 which was a fantastic machine and had what I consider the best game of all time on it.

Ironically now MS have the least powerful console on paper but the advantage of coming first. But I think Sony will have that countered with it's full backward compatibility. Nintendo will continue to do it's own thing like it has this time around. The GC is probably going to end up with the best game of this console generation too Zelda:The Twighlight Princess.

Where it leaves the PC in the dust is because no one is throwing money behind the PC in the same way.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

PC's are just too complicated to play on...also my sister hates it when i play games on it so she uninstalls them whenever she can....i mean whats the point in having seperate win xp accounts if she can still delete my stuff? maybe games should have the option of being placed in the C drive or not. grrrrrr its so annoying. and thats not to mention all the problems you get with PC games....i wont even start on that but some people here should know what im talking about.

Where it leaves the PC in the dust is because no one is throwing money behind the PC in the same way.

Ah no, but there you teams from the Ukraine and the Czech Republic - not often considered the capital of computer games, making some of the most promising PC games ever. Ukrainians making STALKER where everything exists with a seperate personality and the ability to weigh up the pros and cons of trying to eat you or leaving you alone - all in real time - all free roaming and without any set pieces. Two Czech teams making war sims - and I mean war sims, not soldier sims or mere FPSs, where you exist as a pawn in a living breathing, conflict in multiple 500km2 enviroments. Why am I mentioning this? Well, these games are promising because they are unique, and none of them are being backed up by billions of Sony, Nintendo or even Microsoft dollars or yen. But, even if all three knock the entire rest of the PC market for six, they still might fall well below being called the "greatest games" across the board because all PC Games fall due to seemingly Popular Culture that states that all console games receive + 20% bonus on these charts. Now, if these console games are addictive and great to play then sure, I see no problem with that, and they probably are, but I'd be sad to see them win largely just down to having much more money fired in their direction.

The last PC game I bought was Dawn of War.

Taste :blink:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Ah no, but there you teams from the Ukraine and the Czech Republic - not often considered the capital of computer games, making some of the most promising PC games ever. Ukrainians making STALKER where everything exists with a seperate personality and the ability to weigh up the pros and cons of trying to eat you or leaving you alone - all in real time - all free roaming and without any set pieces. Two Czech teams making war sims - and I mean war sims, not soldier sims or mere FPSs, where you exist as a pawn in a living breathing, conflict in multiple 500km2 enviroments. Why am I mentioning this? Well, these games are promising because they are unique, and none of them are being backed up by billions of Sony, Nintendo or even Microsoft dollars or yen. But, even if all three knock the entire rest of the PC market for six, they still might fall well below being called the "greatest games" across the board because all PC Games fall due to seemingly Popular Culture that states that all console games receive + 20% bonus on these charts. Now, if these console games are addictive and great to play then sure, I see no problem with that, and they probably are, but I'd be sad to see them win largely just down to having much more money fired in their direction.

With all due respect those games generally suck so badly on a technical level as to be unplayable out of the box and have never in my reckoning met the expectations that they set out with. You cant really fault the ideas but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired and part of that is funding.

I dont know of any rule that says console games receive a higher score, of course you would be well advised to take any of the official publications with a pinch of salt. Although having said that NoM gave Mario Ball a very average 68%.

In my experience the big name console titles are worthy of those score IF you like that type of game, of course if it's not to your tastes then any score is going to seem too high. BTW I think it's games like Quake Halflife etc that have the highest recorded scores and they are PC titles (granted ones with huge budgets) but I'm not particularly fond of any of them in fact Halo II (never played I) and Mace Griffon are about tied for my favourite FPS so scores are not everything.

478327[/snapback]

"think it's safe to say that Volourn is a console fanboy, so everything he says on this matter can be ignored. Now, being a PC and console gamer I think I can safely say that my opinion means a bit more than Volourn's or Nurb's."

Hahahah, troll. That's hialrious; but hey,because Mr. green asks us to play nice; I shall.

Anyone who knows anything about me knows I'm no Console fanboy. All one has to do is look at my list of fvaorite games or what type of games I prefer to play to know that rumour, myth, and innuendo youa re trying to spread rings hollow.

My point was never 'consoles are better'; but that people overrate PCs. There's lots of things that consoles do better than PCs.

Silly PC apologists and exusists are funny.

But, hey, I'm just a console fanboy who spends 80% of his gaming time playing PC games.

Hhahahaha!!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

With all due respect those games generally suck so badly on a technical level as to be unplayable out of the box and have never in my reckoning met the expectations that they set out with. You cant really fault the ideas but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired and part of that is funding.

The games I mentioned in particular haven't been released yet, but I do know what you mean. One thing I will certainly give Consoles is that games that just so blatantly need a patch to even play generally don't make it out of the doors. That is quite different with PC games it seems. (For instance, one of the Czech companies I mentioned released one game, while ultimately very successful, and a game I can happily say I really enjoyed, was as buggy as hell!)

I dont know of any rule that says console games receive a higher score, of course you would be well advised to take any of the official publications with a pinch of salt. Although having said that NoM gave Mario Ball a very average 68%.

In my experience the big name console titles are worthy of those score IF you like that type of game, of course if it's not to your tastes then any score is going to seem too high. BTW I think it's games like Quake Halflife etc that have the highest recorded scores and they are PC titles (granted ones with huge budgets) but I'm not particularly fond of any of them in fact Halo II (never played I) and Mace Griffon are about tied for my favourite FPS so scores are not everything.

Oh no I meant on Game charts not scores, sorry. :devil:" :p Usually I find the "Best game of all time" is a Console game, and usually fairly recent. A game like HL2, which is worshiped as a God by virtually every PC publication I can think of is lucky if it makes it into the top 10.

To be honest I don't actually play HL2 either - tis why I wait for STALKER (which is constantly being delayed because they want to get it right first time out) because it is a more original concept. :)

"think it's safe to say that Volourn is a console fanboy, so everything he says on this matter can be ignored. Now, being a PC and console gamer I think I can safely say that my opinion means a bit more than Volourn's or Nurb's."

Hahahah, troll. That's hialrious; but hey,because  Mr. green asks us to play nice; I shall.

Anyone who knows anything about me knows I'm no Console fanboy. All one has to do is look at my list of fvaorite games or what type of games I prefer to play to know that rumour, myth, and innuendo youa re trying to spread rings hollow.

My point was never 'consoles are better'; but that people overrate PCs. There's lots of things that consoles do better than PCs.

Silly PC apologists and exusists are funny.

But, hey, I'm just a console fanboy who spends 80% of his gaming time playing PC games.

Hhahahaha!!

Really. If you love the PC so much howcome I always see you always saying that consoles are winning the war? How come you say most games are better on the console? How come PC sports games suck but the console version rocks? Yes, I can see that you like the PC more. :devil:

I like console games because you can play them without worrying about whether or not you have the right drivers installed to play the game or installing a driver to find out it just foo-barred another game you were playing.

I like consoles because you can get a complete gaming machine for about the price of a new video card for your computer.

I like computer games because if the developer/publisher messed up, there's likely to be a fix from the dev/pub/fans that will ease your angst. :devil:

I like computers because you can use the computer for a lot more than a game console. This may be changing with one of the proposed next-generation XBox.

Each has their strengths and weaknesses. I am definately a PC person, but I can see and agree with the concept of consoles.

"Really."

Yes, really.

"If you love the PC so much howcome I always see you always saying that consoles are winning the war?"

'Cause they are, and the facts prove it. Why do you think people are always whining about how the 'PC game is dying'. I disagree with the severity of such a statement; but the fact people actually think that speaks volumes. Not to emntion, that sales figures back the statement 'consoles are winning the war'.

"How come you say most games are better on the console?"

Where I say that? In that other thread, I only jumped in when someone stated "fatcually" that PC games are *always* better. I disagreed which made you and others ASSumed that I thought console games were always betetr than PC. That is so far rmeoved from the truth it's plainly laughable. Heck, SP should rmeind you about our PC vs. console debates...

"How come PC sports games suck but the console version rocks?"

'Cause they do. Consoles, for whatever reason, do sports games better. It may hurt PC fanboys' heart; but it is true. Of course, PC does certain things better too. HOW SHOCKING!

"Yes, I can see that you like the PC more."

You obviously can't figure out that my fvaorite gamje overall is NWN. My two favorite games 'actual campaign wise' is BG2 and FO2. What do all three of these games have in common? They're all PC games. After them, a lot of console games sneak in most notebaly sports games, and the FF series.

The bottom line is I love both consoles and PCs; and am likely the least bias of anyone ehre sicne I love 'em both equally even though I do end up playing PC games mostly due to NWN being so awesome, and enduring.

Game over.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I dont know of any rule that says console games receive a higher score

Console games receive a higher score because not much is expected from them, don't compare a PC to a console game. A PC game rated 8/10 can be better than a console game rated 9/10. San Andreas for PS2 has 9.5, the PC version would be 8.5-8.6.

I find the "Best game of all time" is a Console game

Those games are nominated by console fans and they admit it.

What I need from a console:

possibility to add more RAM

mouse and keyboard support

downloadable demos

free patches, custom official content

possibility to buy and download games a la Steam

fan made content, I mean real fan made content not just characters and cars - probably never gonna happen

EAX 5 sound card with digital out, 7.1 analog out and headphones jack

PPU

easy to develop for - not X360/PS3

DVI out connector and DVI to VGA adaptor

online multiplayer without having to pay unless it's a MMORPG

very good games including FPS, RTS and games that are best suited for PC (Silent Hunter III)

When a console will have all that I'll buy it.

I have been on the net for about ten years and one things that I have noticed, especially over the last few years is the amount of computer snobs out there. They constantly bash consoles and yell "PC's are superior because _______".

I honestly ask, what the hell is the difference if a game is on a console or a PC? I know some will say the graphics are much better, and this is true if you can afford to buy the latest  800$ video cards all the time. However most of us are not trust fund babies and can't do this. I have the distinct feeling that the "consolze R fer losers" crowd really just want to feel good about their 2000 dollar investment and their elitist attitude has little to nothing to do with the games.

Several thoughts on why people claim PCs are superior

- Graphics, control and sound are almost always better. Better framerate, higher resolution, whatever, PC usually offers that. You claim $800 video card is needed to get this kind of performance, but when XBox was released my friend bought a Geforce 4600 Ti for about $250. About six months later I purchased an even faster Radeon 9600 Pro for $200. There was and is a big difference between PS2/Gamecube/Xbox graphics and PC. The only time this is not true is when the console is first released. Within months, PCs close the gap.

- Modability. Games can be altered on the computer. Some games like NWN and Morrowind, become entirely different (and better) games with improved textures, environmental sounds, higher quality models and smoother animation. Other games, can be totally remade by fans for a new experience.

- Online multiplayer. Efforts have been made on the part of console manufacturers and game developers to get this right. Up until Xbox Live, this has usually been a clunky and frsustrating experience. On computer, onine play has been refined over many years and is in almost all cases, easy to use.

- Emulation. Sure PS2 has backwards compatiblity. But so does my computer. I can play almost every game ever released on my Windows XP computer, regardless if it was for DOS, Mac, Amiga, Commodore, Atari ST, NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, Master System, arcade, Playstation, Saturn, and many, many other systems. The only games I cannot play at the time are (mostly) PS2, Gamecube and Xbox games. Expect that to change in the near future as the new consoles come out.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.