Do you ever feel guilty?

call me crazy, but I can never bring myself to play KOTOR or KOTOR II as a darksider, my conscience keeps on getting in the way.

I know it's just a game and being a Sith lord is cool and alll, but I just hate being mean to people you know?

Anybody else have this problem?

Yeah, I can relate. Thats why I always play LS first, so I have a clear mind. Then I can go on the killin' sprees and force choking and whatnot. :)

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

I too, have to go through the game as a LS character first. On my initial playthrough of K1 I ended up killing Juhani (hey I figured shes the taint take her out) but as soon as I saw the DS points I reloaded to a previous save... :)

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Same problem. I just put on some Heavy Metal and go into "Dark Mode" as I call it. Pretty much you just have to remember it's a game, bask in your own darkness, and then play it over on LS to make you feel better. :D

sig2.gif

yep. Same here. I always feel guilty! I even felt guily when I gained my first DS points when talking to Kreia in the morgue even though I knew she was a freaking liar!

I have never played KOTOR 1 or KOTOR 2 as a DS but I want to see the DS endings. I guess I'm just going to have to get over myself...

btw. is there anyway to prevent you getting all white and ugly if you're DS? I want to have a normal lookng character :)

call me crazy, but I can  never bring myself to play KOTOR or KOTOR II as a darksider, my conscience keeps on getting in the way.

I know it's just a game and being a Sith lord is cool and alll, but I just hate being mean to people you know?

I wouldn't say it's a matter of conscience to me -- it's a game! -- but I don't particularly like playing DS.

Just like when I read a novel, I tend to like a novel with a sympathetic protagonist more than a novel with an unsympathetic one. As a general rule, not an absolute one.

Since the game is for fun, and I prefer playing LS (mostly), that's what I do. When I do DS stuff, it tends to be minor DS stuff (stealing, verbally encouraging HK47, etc.). But even then, it's more fun for me, as a roleplayer, to try to be consistent (e.g. the only cold-blooded killing my character does is blowing up the Mandalorian on Dxun, seems like a reasonable thing for the Exile to hate Mandalorians...).

call me crazy, but I can  never bring myself to play KOTOR or KOTOR II as a darksider, my conscience keeps on getting in the way.

I wouldn't say it's a matter of conscience to me -- it's a game! -- but I don't particularly like playing DS.

Just like when I read a novel, I tend to like a novel with a sympathetic protagonist more than a novel with an unsympathetic one. As a general rule, not an absolute one.

Since the game is for fun, and I prefer playing LS (mostly), that's what I do. When I do DS stuff, it tends to be minor DS stuff (stealing, verbally encouraging HK47, etc.). But even then, it's more fun for me, as a roleplayer, to try to be consistent (e.g. the only cold-blooded killing my character does is blowing up the Mandalorian on Dxun, seems like a reasonable thing for the Exile to hate Mandalorians...).

I think a major problem that may arise as RPGs begin to strike closer to home is separating what we do in a game from what we do in real life. As we try to live in the game, it becomes difficult to make the game last only in the console. That's why I try to play both sides, to experience both sides of the coin. It keeps the game withdrawn and a separate life from my own.

On a completely unrelated note, epeeist, are you a fencer? If so, long live the epee!

I never have a problem. Know why? Cause I know they are all machines that will destroy us all in the future. (Yes, I've been watching too much Terminator) J/K. I love being darkside. Know why? Cause it lets me do things I would never even consider doing in real life. It lets me slaughter countless people and have a dark feeling inside. I love it! But I'd never do half the things I do on my darkside play through. (There are things I would do. For example that prick on Nar Shaddaa that says you have the rest of what he owes. I'd kill him for putting my life at risk without a second thought)

First time I played KotOR 1 through myself, I sorta started out as if it was myself being in the game, mostly neutral. then I went a bit toward the DS then it just got a little too burtal, and I didn't dislike my party members, well most of them, enough to want to kill them by the end. Around when I met Bindo I decided to go on back toward the LS because There's no point on picking on innocent people, absolutelly no gratification, though when firghting the DS finally, I did so with eExtreme prejudice, hehe. Though I forgave whom I could.

I think a major problem that may arise as RPGs begin to strike closer to home is separating what we do in a game from what we do in real life. As we try to live in the game, it becomes difficult to make the game last only in the console. That's why I try to play both sides, to experience both sides of the coin. It keeps the game withdrawn and a separate life from my own.

On a completely unrelated note, epeeist, are you a fencer? If so, long live the epee!

On the unrelated note, yes I'm a fencer -- I assume you are also? I like epee the most, but also fence foil and saber. There's an article from years ago by Bob Anderson (who taught David Prowse and doubled for him in a scene or two) entitled "I coached, and was, Darth Vader" (or something like that). More info on www.imdb.com if interested.

To reply to the first part of your reply, hopefully not too much difficulty separating the game from real life!

I recall one spy game from years ago in which one could torture a prisoner for information -- was that something everyone would feel happy with doing even in a game? What about something more explicit like torturing screaming children? That would I hope be too much for almost anyone, but the threshold of what was too much would, I think, vary between people.

I had to play DFII JK sixteen times before I could go dark and even then I felt like I was scum, killing innocents, I tell ya RPG's are getting to darn real! Usually the way I override my conscience is to skip through what the NPC's say and I just do what must be done, then I come back after its done and read the log on what they said, and I

Statemeant: you cannot stop me you cannot harm me, in order to do that I would need to stop being one of you; I have concluded that this is something I am willing to accept!

In short you have just shown me your soft meatbag-like underbellies and said