In accordance with prophecy.

I'd rather it just be some guy. I like Icewind Dale 2 where you were just mercenaries. The Chosen One plot has been WAY overdone too many times. I think the upcoming game The Bard's Tale will even poke some fun in places at that RPG 'tradition'.

I hate Chosen One storylines. I really liked the sound of the beginning of The Black Hound:

"The main character(s) in Jefferson are initially drawn into the story through a coincidence. He/she/they are present, by chance, at an extremely bizarre event. The participants in this event then leave, with the main character(s) as the only witness and unknowing participant. However, this initial association does not define how the story progresses. It simply defines how the main character's [sic] take an initial position of importance to other major characters. It is left to the player to decide how their character(s) will inflate or discard this initial position for good or ill."

No ridiculous mystical prophecy or the like revolving around your character; just circumstance.

I hate Chosen One storylines. I really liked the sound of the beginning of The Black Hound:

"The main character(s) in Jefferson are initially drawn into the story through a coincidence. He/she/they are present, by chance, at an extremely bizarre event. The participants in this event then leave, with the main character(s) as the only witness and unknowing participant. However, this initial association does not define how the story progresses. It simply defines how the main character's [sic] take an initial position of importance to other major characters. It is left to the player to decide how their character(s) will inflate or discard this initial position for good or ill."

No ridiculous mystical prophecy or the like revolving around your character; just circumstance.

I agree. It was an interesting premise and if Josh was working at any company other than Interplay it would have been completed and been a great game, probably comparable to Planescape Torment in some ways.