The Ur-Quan Masters v0.4.0 release

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

It is glorious!

Hello Hunams,

It's been a while, but here it is: The Ur-Quan Masters version 0.4.0. With all the features from the original Star Control II present, and as stable as a horse barn, there's nothing that should stop you from sharing it with all your friends.

Some mentionable improvements:

* PC intro and ending sequences are now present

* a new `triscan' scaler

* lots of fixes to the subtitles

* an in-game setup menu

* using graphics from the PC version of Star Control II in some places where they are better than the 3DO ones

* PC style 3-step zooming in melee (at your choice)

* lots of internal restructuring

* many bug fixes

For a complete list, we direct you to this page.

When you're ready to start downloading, the place to go is here.

Enjoy.

The Ur-Quan Masters development team

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

Argh! I have let my Super Melee skills detoriate far too much -- a quick test revealed that I can no longer pilot an Earthling Cruiser effectively enough to destroy Ur-Quan Dreadnaughts with any reliability. Ah, well, at least the Spathi Eluder vs. Kohr-Ah Marauder matches I fought afterwards offered me some consolation, however shallow.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

I just downloaded it. I have to try the ship that reborns and the giant cannon ship. Those two were my favourite. I had uncanny accuracy with giant cannon ship and my friends didn

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

"I have to try the ship that reborns [...]"

The Halleluja one? The Pkunk Fury? I got no idea how to use that one effectively.

"... and the giant cannon ship"

The druuge one? Meh, I always go crazy with the recoil. And crash into a planet.

edit: Also, w00t, I won against 2 Dreadnaughts with a Cruiser (well, technically 2 Cruisers -- the 2nd Dreadnaught somehow got to me and blasted all the nukes I fired at it with unfailing accuracy. It only had 2 crew left when it happened. Then I came in with the another cruiser and nukes the bastard.)!

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

My favorite ships are the Utwig Jugger and the Chmmr Avatar.

Though the most badass ship is the (the name escapes me atm) ship that can cloak and spews powerful flames. That ship would be totally unfair in multiplayer if you knew where your own ship was.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Also, I'm surprised the human ships were so extremely underpowerd. Slow, a primary weapon that is easy to stop/destroy, and a less-than-stellar alt fire.

Where are the powerful phasers...the photon/quantum torpedoes (hey, the ships were designed like star trek ships).

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Ariloulaleelay pwnz j00.

And the Thraddash kick some serious ass, too. I just don't get how could they get raped by the Ilwrath.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

They didn't. In my game they just DESTROYED eachother. Less two obnoxious races. If only i could exterminate the drugges too.

Genocide for fun and profit in SC2

Yeah, but that meant you no longer could build their kickass budget Torch vessels. And in order to exterminate the Druuge, you just need to wait until the Kohr-Ah win the Doctrinal War and begin their "cleansing"... I think the Druuge were one of their first victims. o:)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The first, IIRC.

But I got nothing against the druuge -- the deal where they'll load your fuel tanks to the fullest in exchange for whatever it was is a pretty damn sweet one when your ship is full of empty upgraded fuel tanks.

Heh heh. Sucka!

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!