What game music do you like?

Also, Mark Morgan has managed to do something in Torment which all other roleplaying games have failed in: He made epic music which is actually de-cheesy. Stunning, moving pieces, with original instruments.

Mark Morgan's score for Torment was good, but can't compete with Brian Williams' original score for Planescape: Torment in terms of mood and atmosphere. Unfortunately Williams' score was, a few months before the release of the game, replaced by Mark Morgan's score. Don't get me wrong, I like the stuff Mark Morgan has written for Torment, but I thought that Brian Williams' stuff (the stuff I've heard) fitted the Planescape-setting a lot better.

Other than that, to get back to the original topic, I love the music in BG1, IWD and in Bard's Tale 1 and 2 (Amiga version only).

Where can I find the tracks made by Williams?

I loved the Fallout 2 theme song: A kiss to build a dream on. I sing it to my wife all of the time. Of course, I'm hoping she does not leave me, but it's still a cool song.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Where can I find the tracks made by Williams?

There were some tracks from his unused Torment soundtrack on his official website, but it has been offline for almost a year now. I think I still have part of his score somewhere on some work-in-progress versions of Torment. If only I could find the CD's ...

His main-theme for Torment is playing during a trailer for Torment that came with one of the IE games, but I don't remember which one it was.

Other than that I don't know where you could get his stuff from.

Thanks, Fingers. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Best Game Music of All Time (so far!) is, IMHO, the original Icewind Dale. Hauntingly beautiful. I love it.

Second favorite, the magnificent music of the original Baldurs Gate. BG2 music was excellent as well, but just couldn't quite compete with the mood-setting brilliance of the original's theme.

• Like 1

Aahh yes.. while for example FF8 and Morrowind certainly has some great sounds, Arcanum's music has an almost unique feeling to it. For me, the music from Arcanum feels magical, and very old.. Outdated a few hundred years ago.. :cool:

NHLPA Hockey 93 (Sega Genesis)

Baldur's Gate (the character creation theme in particular)

Dune 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Anachronox had some great music; in fact while I was searching for some links for it I came across a movie that encompassed the main quest of the whole game, made by Jake Hughes/Ionstorm! It's over a gig to download, well worth watching ... but spoilery if you haven't played. I got to it from Gamespot but there are other sites, particularly http://www.machinima.com--checkout some of the movies/videos made from game SDK's. Neat stuff.

Best Game Music of All Time (so far!) is, IMHO, the original Icewind Dale.  Hauntingly beautiful.  I love it.

Second favorite, the magnificent music of the original Baldurs Gate.  BG2 music was excellent as well, but just couldn't quite compete with the mood-setting brilliance of the original's theme.

Yeah, no wonder they packaged the soundtrack in the IWD/HoW/IWD2 collection. Certainly a worthwhile addition.

As for Baldur's Gate, I seldom hear people discuss the soundtrack, and it's been so long since I played the game (played it four times in a row at release, then stopped) that I don't recall a critical opinion.

I'll have to take a listen.

Damn straight! In fact, it's the soundtrack that got me playing the game to begin with (when I started my current job, among the stacks of CDs in my office I found the Alice soundtrack... then bought the game because I liked the soundtrack so much.)

I have to agree with you, I had a very similiar experience with that game.

Also tiefighter, BG 1&2, and Icewind Dale. For some reason I've never minded the music in Project Gotham Racing and I liked Odd World's music

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I just have to add, that the music from Spellforce's first expansion, Breath of Winter, is wonderful. I don't like the game that much(only played the demo), but the music is propably the best set of beautiful fantasy themed strategy game music I've ever stumbled upon. The song, "Cenwen", is nothing sort of enchanting. Very Howard Shore-like and definetly a grower. That is, opening slowly to the listener. And it's free.

http://spellforce.jowood.com/?rid=867&lang=en

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Both Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Kotor 1 and Kotor 2.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

"A One Winged Angel", Best endboss-theme ever made.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Best use of a system's sound hardware:

Zelda II.

Keep in mind, the NES's music production capabilities were almost non-existent, so the fact that any listenable game music was ever produced for it is pretty amazing, but it certainly was in a number of games.

Favourite track: Zelda II final palace theme.

Best use of a system's sound hardware:

Zelda II. 

Keep in mind, the NES's music production capabilities were almost non-existent, so the fact that any listenable game music was ever produced for it is pretty amazing, but it certainly was in a number of games.

Favourite track: Zelda II final palace theme.

Oh, come to think of it - almost anything Rob Hubbard has written for the C64 is great, great music and gets the most out of the Commodore 64's soundchip. That guy was/is a real genius.

Favourite Hubbard tracks:

Master of Magic

Nemesis the Warlock

Zoids

Lightforce

Ooohh, that reminds me: You have to download a C64-emulator (CCS64 or WinVICE) and then download the game Sanxion and listen to Rob Hubbard's SID-version of "Montagues and Capulets" from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. It's awesome! :)

Actually, all the music Rob Hubbard did for Sanxion rules.. Listen to it all!!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 2 weeks later...

Bah, I remember that the Apple ][ (which had a speaker that made a beep and a click, only) had a music synthesiser; there was even a rendition of Rimsky-Korsakov's Flight of the Bumble Bee that was so good I would replay the demo to hear it.

Dun-nun-nun dee-oo-eee-ooo

bzzybzzybzzybzzybzzybzzybzzybzzybzzybzzybzzybzzy ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT