What game music do you like?

Bah, I remember that the Apple ][ (which had a speaker that made a beep and a click, only) had a music synthesiser; there was even a rendition of Rimsky-Korsakov's Flight of the Bumble Bee that was so good I would replay the demo to hear it.

Dun-nun-nun dee-oo-eee-ooo

bzzybzzybzzybzzybzzybzzybzzybzzybzzybzzybzzybzzy ...

Not exactly a game... but I had a C64 program that could make the external 1541 diskdrive play God Save the Queen by vibrating the head. Probably wasn't good for the drive, but hilarious none the less.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The mod music in SC2 was fantastic!

System Shock 2 also had some nice tracks. TTLG has some music here.

EDIT:

For NES I'd have to go with the Castlevania 2 and Batman soundtracks. Soundtracks ripped from the NES games come as an .nsf file. To play these you need Winamp and an NSF plug-in (Direct download).

Batman and Castlevania .nsfs (among others ) here.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

the X wing Midi muzak. I just love those non Symphonac renditions of what we love :D

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Planescape: Torment and Fallout.

IMO, Mark Morgan can do no wrong. That's just based on those two games but they're the only soundtracks I listen to outside of playing the actual game. DLed PS-T, FO and FO2 from the IPLY site before it disappeared.

December 2012 - Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online - http://www.winterwind-productions.com

Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love

The Silent Hill series has some nice soundtracks. My favorite game soundtrack is probably Chrono Cross. And Suikoden II :wub:

Most recently, I really enjoyed the Metal Gear Solid 3 soundtrack.

Honorable mention goes to The Longest Journey.

Both Fallouts music kicked ass. One of my favorites.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

• 10 years later...

Sweet mother of Necromancy, 11 years has got to be some kind of record.

I searched for those tracks and found this thread. But the links were dead. So I thought, if anyone else comes here for the same reason, she/he won't have to search the internet for over an hour, like I did.

---

We're all doomed

Personal favourites:

• Planescape: Torment
  • Fallout (1&2)
  • VMBL
Honourable mention:
  • Icewind Dale
  • BG2
  • Defender of the Crown
shifty.gif

I would probably add Knights of the Old Republic 2 to the list today. Best music in an Obsidian game ever.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I have official (except where denoted) soundtracks in some form or another (almost entirely CD FLAC - almost) from the following series:

Age of Empires series (1, 2, Conquerors, 3 other compilation CDs)

Baldur's Gate series (1, 2, unofficial ToB, unofficial Dark Alliance)

Banjo-Kazooie series (Kazooie, Tooie, Nuts & Bolts, "BK Betas", "Everything and the Kitchen Sink")

Diablo series (2, LoD, "The Music of Diablo")

Donkey Kong series (Country 1, Country 2, Country 3, 64)

Half-Life series (1, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, 2, Episode One, Episode Two, Portal, Portal 2, "Songs to Test By", The Orange Box)

Icewind Dale series (1, HoW, 2)

Secret of Mana series (SoM, SoM +, LoM, SD3)

Neverwinter Nights series (1, 2, unofficial MotB)

(Dark/Demon) Souls series (DeS, DaS 1, DaS 2)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series (ShoC, CS, CoP, unofficial ShoC)

Super Mario series (Bros. 1, Bros. 3, "World" which also includes Bros. 2, World 2, RPG, Land, 64)

The Binding of Isaac series (original, Rebirth)

The Legend of Zelda series (too numerous to detail: at least 20 different releases spanning from the original up to Twilight Princess)

WarCraft series (1, 2, BtDP, 3, TFT)

The following individual games:

Chrono Trigger (original, "Playstation Original Soundtrack")

Actraiser

Soul Blazer

Terranigma

The Illusion of Gaia (unofficial)

Eufloria

Fable (original, unofficial The Lost Chapters)

Jet Force Gemini

Kid Icarus

Metro 2033

Planescape: Torment

Quest 64 (unofficial)

Rogue Legacy

World of Goo

In short, I have way too much video game music. I also have way too much non-video game music. Note that while I have a few JRPG entries (Terranigma, Secret of Mana, Quest 64, etc.), I am actually not really much of a JRPG fan: I just like JRPG music. :shrugz:

Top favorites would probably be Twilight Princess, Quest 64, Shadow of Chernobyl, Diablo II, and...Donkey Kong Country 2. Something like that, anyways.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• 2 weeks later...