KoToR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

In short, it's better to have the central conceit: "many have tried, all have failed", rather than the "No, you can't be the chosen one! I will try valiantly, but -- ultimately -- fruitlessly to defeat you!".

right-o....

strong in the Force = yes

chosen one = no

just as I like the ability to start at different angles, I like the idea of being able to complete the game (i.e. not getting killed) without accomplishing the main objective. that, of course, would require the main objective to be more than a boss battle at the end....basically 3 or 4 "main objectives"....you can complete the game without accomplishing all of them....you only "win" the game by getting all of them.

I agree. It is sort of the norm in games now to in the begining have your thinking (but in your mind you know it is not true) you are just a normal person and then later on have it discovered that you are special some how. I sort of like the twist in Fable where you are thrown in prison and the game gives you only one chance to find the key and if you don't you have to do it again after the year passes. I know it is sort of off topic.

Here's something I have been thinking about for a few days. When an enemy is killed by lightsaber they should show it. They should be cut in half, lose an arm or their head, something that reflects the fact that they were killed by a lightsaber.

I also think that lightsabers should be the ultimate weapons, do much more damage, enough to kill in one hit, and also be very rare, like one for every Jedi. But I also think the PC should be the only Jedi in the game, or at most there could be one more in the party that PC can train, like a padawan.

I agree with the first part about the slicing and dicing the enemies. However I disagree with the second. If the lightsaber, in an RPG, is made all powerful then the game no longer remains a challenge. I know it doesn't conform with the SW universe but it makes for a better game. I also some what agree with your point about being rare. They should be rare but not to rare. In the first game they could be found every where and in the second I struggled to find them. A balance would be nice.

...I can understand you'd lost your ability to feel the force, but you start off from sratch like you never knew how do do any of this so it would be nice to start off at say lvl 15 with a character. They could even say do something like they did in the Jedi Knight stories where you do a quick mission thru a training crouse after you do a character creation where you select your class race and if you want to play ds or ls each training will be slightly different with focuses on what each side fallows

KOTOR I had you start off with a designation such as Soldier, Scout, or Scoundrel.

KOTOR II had you start off as Jedi Guardian, Jedi Sentinel, or Jedi Consular.

As long as these games are about Force-wielding PCs, I prefer K2's approach.

I kind of like the idea where the first 5-7 hours of the game is in a structured learning facility (such as the New Sith Academy or the New Jedi Academy) and that when you complete this structured training, you are, say, 8th level.

However, I would like for this to be something we can skip via dialogue. If you skip it, you are already 8th level. This would make it easier to replay the game.

How many people complain about those low levels at Peragus and Telos when they are replaying? I've seen a number of posts about that.

Don't cut out the lower levels but make them optional. Absolutely.

I agree it is kind of boring when to replay the game you have to go through the lower lvls that offer nothing really.

To those who like this idea of Revan and Bastila having a little brat..this is for you.

In KOTOR 2 Kreia implies the True Sith are Ready for War, and that the Great War is coming. The true Sith have weakened everyone that could stand in their way. With all that bull out of the way.. what you people are saying is that a Enemy race that is Ready for War, will now wait until Revan and Bastila bang, and have a child that will be the main character in there game.

Which also means this: True Sith lord takes his index fingure point's it to his own head and says, "I'm double stupid."

The True Sith aren't going to wait for a child to be born. They are ready for War, and thus will attack before Revan and Bastila probably even see each other again.

No the PC will indeed be of adult age probably and the game won't take that long after KOTOR 2.

KOTOR 2 must be completed

To those who like this idea of Revan and Bastila having a little brat..this is for you.

In KOTOR 2 Kreia implies the True Sith are Ready for War, and that the Great War is coming.  The true Sith have weakened everyone that could stand in their way. With all that bull out of the way.. what you people are saying is that a Enemy race that is Ready for War, will now wait until Revan and Bastila bang, and have a child that will be the main character in there game.

Which also means this: True Sith lord takes his index fingure point's it to his own head and says, "I'm double stupid."

The True Sith aren't going to wait for a child to be born. They are ready for War, and thus will attack before Revan and Bastila probably even see each other again.

No the PC will indeed be of adult age probably and the game won't take that long after KOTOR 2.

Absolutely. Revan's child as the PC is just so much wishful thinking among Revan fans.

The best way to have a blood connection, IMO, is nephew or cousin. But that would still be a variation of the "chosen one" routine. I think we need a clean break from "chosen one".

KOTOR 3, if it gets made, needs to be within 5 game years of KOTOR 2...absolutely.

5 years...

How about a few months? Waiting is a stupid move by the Sith if it's years. On a galactic scale entire fleets can be built in months. I doubt the Sith will wait for the Republic to have that chance.

2 or 3 months, maybe, any longer then it just makes the Sith look stupid when they have all the cards on their side. I believe the last Card the Sith will play is creating unrest in the Senate. Perhaps do something like in "Visions of the Future,"

where a single event almost had each member of the New Republic leaving. If that were to happen the Sith could take each system with no problem.

That last card is probably been played during the events of both games, we just don't know about it. Thus tis why Coruscant is must.

[spoiler ALERT]

well, that seems plausible. on the one hand, it could be said that the reason why Revan is in the Unknown Regions was just because he was not the protagonist of K2 and they needed to find a device to get him out of the way.

however, K2 really did paint a picture of the True Sith getting ready to strike.

truely, the destruction of Malachor will put things in motion even more.

everything points to a conclusion....there is no way that this was anything other than a cliffhanger to set up K3.

K3 was an in-house project that was cancelled but that was part of a major restructuring. Truely, they must want to finish this story that they started.

Problem is, finding someone to make this kind of RPG is not as easy as finding someone to make a FPS or Action game. If it ain't BioWare or Obsidian, who else could it be?

for planets, I like:

* Korriban

(yes, I know, but there is so much more that could be uncovered there)

* Ziost

* Coruscant

* Dantooine

(maybe a subterrainian quest this time)

* Tatooine

(no particular reason...just a good SW planet)

* Alderann

(this would be a good world to have that is on your

map but has no main story significance)

* Kessel

(like Alderann, this planet gets lip service in the movies but no real

screen time...let's see how fast the Ebon Hawk can make the Kessel Run)

* Utopia

(sounds like a good idea D Nuke...good place to get some lightsaber crystals

...that is needed since there are none left on Dantooine)

* Onderon

(let's see the rest of the planet this time...maybe hang out with the Beast Riders)

* Kashyyyk

(let's see Chief Zaldabar in his throne room...this would be a good place to have

an expanded explorable map)

* Telos

(supposedly, this is where Force Sensitives go that don't get selected to be trained

by Jedi...could be significant...also a good place for some interesting and non-traditional quests since the actual environment is so hazardous)

Problem is, finding someone to make this kind of RPG is not as easy as finding someone to make a FPS or Action game.  If it ain't BioWare or Obsidian, who else could it be?

exactly. instead of talking about what KotOR 3 is going to about (okay, that's bullsh*t) Okay, in addition to talking about KotOT 3, we should also start discussing whoe we think will or should do it... Honestly, I'd like to see BioWare come back and do it. Let them finish what they started. Just like with the Die HArd Trilogy, only difference is KotOR 3 should be much better than the original...yeah, I know; pretty hard to pull off.

Well, here's an idea. with the True Sith, how about a short cinematic lightsaber battle between the third in command (T.I.C.) (apprentence to the apprentence) and the first in command, and the T.I.C wins. And the former third in command will be the boss at the end. Or better yet, if you take the dark path, you end up as the third in command. Oh, well. just an idea...

* Utopia

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the crystals grow?

But I see your point. There should more caverns spread out across the galaxy to find crystals instead of buying them from merchants. And these crystals should be hard to get, in that the main PC has to earn the crystals by defeating dangerous beasts, not some lame laigreks, etc.

Speaking of crystals, I thought that the personal crystal in KOTOR II was awesome and I would hope to see its return in KOTOR III. And instead of having someone else tune the crystal, use a meditation chamber to do this (as many people have suggested in this multi-part thread). Visas had her chamber, we want ours!

* Utopia

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the crystals grow?

But I see your point. There should more caverns spread out across the galaxy to find crystals instead of buying them from merchants. And these crystals should be hard to get, in that the main PC has to earn the crystals by defeating dangerous beasts, not some lame laigreks, etc.

Speaking of crystals, I thought that the personal crystal in KOTOR II was awesome and I would hope to see its return in KOTOR III. And instead of having someone else tune the crystal, use a meditation chamber to do this (as many people have suggested in this multi-part thread). Visas had her chamber, we want ours!

Visias chamber was her sanctuary and escape from her imprisonment. I agree there should be points for you to focus your energies, like in Jade Empire. I agree the personal crystal rocked but I would like to see it taken further. Maybe you could have equipment that is specificly made for you but is very hard to obtain.

All i'd like to see is a more dynamic combat system that promotes epic duels. A la jedi academy with more depth and dynamism.

I somewhat agree....I like the Balder's Gate-style Active Turn Based with pauses.

I do NOT want all combat in these games to go real-time.

However, I would love it if the boss battles were real-time.

for planets, I like:

* Korriban

(yes, I know, but there is so much more that could be uncovered there)

* Ziost

* Coruscant

* Dantooine

(maybe a subterrainian quest this time)

* Tatooine

(no particular reason...just a good SW planet)

* Alderann

(this would be a good world to have that is on your

map but has no main story significance)

* Kessel

(like Alderann, this planet gets lip service in the movies but no real

screen time...let's see how fast the Ebon Hawk can make the Kessel Run)

* Utopia

* Onderon

(let's see the rest of the planet this time...maybe hang out with the Beast Riders)

* Kashyyyk

(let's see Chief Zaldabar in his throne room...this would be a good place to have

an expanded explorable map)

* Telos

(supposedly, this is where Force Sensitives go that don't get selected to be trained

by Jedi...could be significant...also a good place for some interesting and non-traditional quests since the actual environment is so hazardous)

Planets have to have more then just, "I want to go back there," value. All those are basically the same planets there were in 1 and 2. Not good choices I'd say for the last game especially Korriban, Kashyyk,Dantooine, Telos, Onderon, and by god Tatooine.

The Sith aren't going to want Tatooine, and theres nothing else there save Star ports.

Kashyyk: The wookiee's are in control, and nothing to do save cover everything you did in 1.

Dantooine: 2 games is enough

Korriban: 2 games for this place is two much

Onderon: Nothing really story signifigant would come from this planet really since it's main plot was in KOTOR 2.

Telos: I'll agree that might be a good place to go back to, but it's just a boring map.

I believe planets have to have story value.

For instance MANDALORE, home of the Mandalorians. What's it's story value? For one the SITH would want to find it and attack it, because any Mandalorians are dangerous Mandalorians. You also might find yourself in a Mandalore Civil war between Canderous and the other Mandalore that HK faught. You get a first time look at Mandalorian cities, government, women, and ships.

Yesterday, June 6th, an interview was taken with the president of LucasArts, Jim Ward, over at Boomtown. In it he discusses the future of LucasArts games, including Star Wars. Some of the highlights include wanting to make more story driven games instead of button mashing games (reminds me of KOTOR I & II). He also wants to see more games that involves character development (again remeinds me of KOTOR I & II). Also, he mentions that LucasArts is currently working on another Star Wars game for one of the next-gen consoles (not revealed).

We are working on next generation games, we have a new Star Wars game and we are talking about that new Indiana Jones game in 2007...

See the whole interview for yourselves here: http://pc.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=8387

Now this gives new hope for a KOTOR III.

Yesterday, June 6th, an interview was taken with the president of LucasArts, Jim Ward, over at Boomtown. 

<snip>

Now this gives new hope for a KOTOR III.

Wow, that was a VERY encouraging interview. Thanks.

Now, all of the LA divisions are in one campus area. That should allow for alot of ideas and faster preproduction of projects, etc.

He wouldn't say what the Holy Grail is but I think I know what it is.

At least I know what I hope it is.

>Planets have to have more then just, "I want to go back there," value. All those

>are basically the same planets there were in 1 and 2. Not good choices I'd say

>for the last game especially Korriban, Kashyyk,Dantooine, Telos, Onderon, and

>by god Tatooine.

It all depends on the story. If we spend the middle game looking for Revan, then he could have planted clues anywhere.

If we have to find the True Sith ourselves, then, I agree, worlds like Tatooine would have no place.

>Dantooine: 2 games is enough

yes, but Dantooine seems to be something of a Coruscant Jr in the KOTOR franchise. It's not that I hope it will be back -- I think it will be back. If we do go back, though, it would be nice to wander around in some heretofore unknown underground labyrinth. There's a pattern here: first game -- Ancient Tomb, second game -- Enclave Sublevel, third game -- some other underground deal.

>Korriban: 2 games for this place is two much

unless there is some secret military activity going on, I agree.

but I think it would be a great place to have a secret war machine operating

just beneath the surface.

>Onderon: Nothing really story signifigant would come from this planet really

>since it's main plot was in KOTOR 2.

there is nothing there unless they hammer it in, I agree. I just liked Onderon/Dxun alot and would like to see it from a different angle.

>Telos: I'll agree that might be a good place to go back to, but it's just a boring map.

true, but if they let us wander the "restricted" part of the surface with mutated creatures and such, that might be interesting.

I am all for going to a world in Mandalorian space and I think the Mandalorians will play a very key role in the third game.

That risk becoming way to repetitive. Why Datooine when the Jedi Temple on Coruscant is enough?

Why not Utopau instead of Dantooine? Utopau itself could have been one of the places the Jedi Order was created. Sure it has enough story value. Epecially if other lost Jedi are on planet.

If you have Ziost you don't need Korriban. I'd say you need one Sith Planet in known space, and then the Unknown Region Sith world.

Coruscant is the ultimate planet: Probably going to be the biggest of all the maps if in KOTOR 3 since it has the Senate,Temple, and many other areas of interest. But places like Kashyyk and Tatooine just don't have any reason to return. Clearly if we return to these planet the longest we would be there is about an hour each concidering we did everything we needed to do on them in KOTOR and KOTOR 2.

I'd rather have all new planets, perhaps one from KOTOR to tie the series together. However but have other planets make Cameo appearanes. Like a cut scene on Kashyyk showing Zaalbar or Onderon showing a scene around the queen. But the actual planets themselves seem to be a waste of time.

Of course this all doesn't mean your choices are bad, I just don't see the importance of most of them. I'd rather have new planets, with manybe one old one. To tell you the truth I think the game should start with an Unknown Region planet near the end of their search for Revan. Therefore this search would only take up about 5 hours of the game, and the rest can be about the Republic vs the True Sith.

I guess in the end I wouldn't mind going to some of those planet again, but as long as they had a superd story for each. Of course we don't know anything at the moment so I'll just stick with mine.

Coruscant

Mandalore:(which is a real planet)

Alderaan

UR Sith World

Ziost(ice planet; well for the most part)

New UR world

Utopau

Ithor

With Cameo's from Kashyyk and Manaan

My biggest wish for the third installment is content length.

I want a game that lasts longer than three days. I want ten planets ... I want planets that exist for leveling/exploring/sidequesting that have nothing to do with the main plot, but allow you to explore and play with your characters.

I don't want to play half the game before I get my first Lightsabre.

I don't want to have the game end before I even get to utilize all my characters to their full potential.

Main game should offer at least 60 hours gameplay minimum. With sidequests and fully explored the game should offer twice that. (actually the only game on xbox that offered that much content was Morrowind. 180 hours and still not through it all, counting the expansion from the game of the year edition.)

I don't think that replay value by choosing between six starting models (3 male 3 female) and choosing between DS and LS endings should warrant the game to be short.

I want the third game to be Epic.

My biggest wish for the third installment is content length.

I want a game that lasts longer than three days.  I want ten planets ... I want planets that exist for leveling/exploring/sidequesting that have nothing to do with the main plot, but allow you to explore and play with your characters.

I don't want to play half the game before I get my first Lightsabre.

I don't want to have the game end before I even get to utilize all my characters to their full potential.

Main game should offer at least 60 hours gameplay minimum.  With sidequests and fully explored the game should offer twice that.  (actually the only game on xbox that offered that much content was Morrowind. 180 hours and still not through it all, counting the expansion from the game of the year edition.)

I don't think that replay value by choosing between six starting models (3 male 3 female) and choosing between DS and LS endings should warrant the game to be short. 

I want the third game to be Epic.

I agree.

I'm tired of the whole, "the galaxy is in crisis." It's somehow scarier when everything seems pretty calm, but there is evil lurking under the surface. Of course, by the end of the game, the galaxy would be in crisis. :huh: But for the beginning, I hope they won't go this route again.