Darksaber idea

The BEST Sith lightsaber idea yet:

Well what's better than a stealth lightsaber? You know how bright the blue, green, yellow, red, violet, etc colors glow so bright? A Jedi on a stealth mission at night in some dark place would be out of luck the moment he turns on his beacon-like lightsaber. Well earlier I suggested a CLEAR color crystal, but it seems that there were objections of its functionality.

Well what about a BLACK lightsaber crystal? Black light bulbs creates an area of darkness, or "black light" (we use that in Halloween decorations). Black blade would not only be truly be invisible in the night, it will create an area of darkness all around you as well (if you're not fighting a Jedi with a bright lightsaber, that is). It's probably as equally as effective as the clear blade when fighting in low light, or to remain stealthy in the darkness in the shadows or at night.

If my black lightbulb or ultraviolet blade theory don't hold up, then what about dark matter? I'm no expert in physics, but it is fitting. Always possibilities.

With a black lightsaber crystal, he can make kills with his lightsaber and still remain stealthy and undetected. Even better, when you're in a duel with another Jedi, they can't really see your lightsaber blade when you're fighting in the shadows, so you can fool him by pretending an upper strike with your arms by twisting your wrist downwards during the strike and you cut his belly. However, if the Jedi you're fighting has a really bright lightsaber, then your black blade won't be truly invisible due to the light up. Well, every single weapon has its advantages and disadvantages.

And how about implementing this technology into blasters? You shoot black light, not those bright green or red tracer rounds that gives away your position. You'll see a black colored bolts fly at you and suddenly shadows start forming all around you (due to the illumination of black light from the black bolts) and then you see one of those black bolts hit you and you're like AHHH!!!! MY SKIN IS BLACK!!!! Thoughts?

Well what's better than a stealth lightsaber? You know how bright the blue, green, yellow, red, violet, etc colors glow so bright? A Jedi on a stealth mission at night in some dark place would be out of luck the moment he turns on his beacon-like lightsaber. Well earlier I suggested a CLEAR color crystal, but it seems that there were objections of its functionality.

Well what about a BLACK lightsaber crystal? Black light bulbs creates an area of darkness, or "black light" (we use that in Halloween decorations). Black blade would not only be truly be invisible in the night, it will create an area of darkness all around you as well (if you're not fighting a Jedi with a bright lightsaber, that is). It's probably as equally as effective as the clear blade when fighting in low light, or to remain stealthy in the darkness in the shadows or at night.

With a black lightsaber crystal, he can make kills with his lightsaber and still remain stealthy and undetected. Even better, when you're in a duel with another Jedi, they can't really see your lightsaber blade when you're fighting in the shadows, so you can fool him by pretending an upper strike with your arms by twisting your wrist downwards during the strike and you cut his belly. However, if the Jedi you're fighting has a really bright lightsaber, then your black blade won't be truly invisible due to the light up. Well, every single weapon has its advantages and disadvantages.

And how about implementing this technology into blasters? You shoot black light, not those bright green or red tracer rounds that gives away your position. You'll see a black colored bolts fly at you and suddenly shadows start forming all around you (due to the illumination of black light from the black bolts) and then you see one of those black bolts hit you and you're like AHHH!!!! MY SKIN IS BLACK!!!! Thoughts?

You can't have a lightsaber be clear. How can you make plasma that is invisable? You can't!.

Also I don't think a guy with a black lightsaber swinging down guards left to right will remained Sealth. You do know that lightsabers make a lot of noise right?

You can't have a lightsaber be clear. How can you make plasma that is invisable? You can't!.

Also I don't think a guy with a black lightsaber swinging down guards left to right will remained Sealth. You do know that lightsabers make a lot of noise right?

Yes, I suggested a clearsaber earlier but that wouldn't work, I guess due to the responses: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=34205

But black, well it'll create a shadow of blackness all around you so the enemy needs time to make his eyes adjust to the dark and make you harder to see while he's standing in the light. And they can't see your black blade that well when you swing it at them because black camoflauges with the dark shadows.

That is a pretty sick (in a good way :D ) idea by the way about the black saber, however as someone mentioned in the spoilers forum, it would have to be muted or silenced somehow as youd never be able to go stealthy with that buzzing around all the time :-

Clear crystal would be a better idea i think but as MTJ said it would be even more inpossible...

I was just reading a bit about things outside the range of the human eye; if you could get a lightsaber crystal that functioned on such a wavelength it would theoritically be invisible. It could provide problems though (thinking it is off, and and putting it back in your belt ^_^).

Another thing is, a black lightsaber wouldn't create a black aura around it. Although, I have pondered witht he idea of a black lightsaber before. Not for stealth though. It would just be cool. But back onto subject. But then again, black drains in ultraviolet waves, but I am not sure it would create darkness around it.

Well, I'm pretty much the one who rained on Eddo's parade with the black sabre idea. A blacklight produces ultraviolet light, so anything that could be sensitive to light waves beyond human's capability will see the sabre.

A Dark Matter sabre would be a cool idea. This is assuming that a Dark Matter sabre would produce a dark plasma beam. Considering that scientists believe that about 60% of the matter in the universe is Dark Matter, it stands to reason that hot Dark Matter doesn't behave the same way as "Normal" Matter.

Eddo, I think you have a winner with this one. :lol:

A Dark Matter sabre would be a cool idea. This is assuming that a Dark Matter sabre would produce a dark plasma beam. Considering that scientists believe that about 60% of the matter in the universe is Dark Matter, it stands to reason that hot Dark Matter doesn't behave the same way as "Normal" Matter.

Interesting... tell me more of what you speak.

sig2.gif

In one of the many lightsabre threads that have been floating around, Eddo mentioned that a black lightsabre would be rather cool. Well, this would be cool to me, too, because it would match my outfit 99% of the time. For some reason, Eddo assumes that a "blacklight", such as the ones used in Halloween parties, produce a "black light".

Unfortunately, a "blacklight" produces ultraviolet light, which is beyond the visible spectrum for humans, but could be visible to other species. One way around this problem would be the lightsabre I mentioned in that thread: a dark matter lightsabre.

No one truly knows what Dark Matter is. In observing the Universe, scientists have calculated that there should be a certain mass of the universe that will be sufficient to cause the universe to reverse its outward direction and coalesce back into itself, allowing another universe to form out of another Big Bang. At the risk of completely thread crapping, I will try to keep this short and simple. When we calculated the mass of the known universe, we can see that there is not enough observable mass in the universe to cause the eventual reversal. However, we can observe that the universe appears to be slowing down and will eventually reverse. Since we can't see all the mass that is causing this slowdown, we have postulated the existance of Dark Matter to explain the "missing mass phenomenon". There's also a new theory that proposes Dark Energy, but I know even less about this.

Since no one knows what Dark Matter really is, we can pretend that using a Dark Matter Plasma Beam (presumably powered by a Dark Energy cell) would behave, in a lightsabre, exactly like a black lightsabre. :)

My apologies to any real physicists or physics majors that stumble across this thread and come across my feeble explanation. I started to go into physics before I realised that I did a lot better with computer science. :-"

If my black lightbulb or ultraviolet blade theory don't hold up, then what about dark matter? I'm no expert in physics, but it is fitting. Always possibilities.

You want a sword that casts black light around the user? Go play D&D. :rolleyes:

It just doesn't make sense in a scientific-type manner. Black light is blue, and it doesn't do anything except course radiation through your tissues (not to mention make certain dyes glow brightly, but that's different).

And no Dark Matter Yuzhan Vong crap, either. :rolleyes:

Jedi/Dark Jedi shouldn't need to activate their lightsabers in the dark, anyway. If they wanna kick butt and hide at the same time, they can use the Force.

Besides, all a lightsaber is (SW lore, here) is blaster fire 'frozen' in place.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

However, we can observe that the universe appears to be slowing down and will eventually reverse. Since we can't see all the mass that is causing this slowdown, we have postulated the existance of Dark Matter to explain the "missing mass phenomenon". There's also a new theory that proposes Dark Energy, but I know even less about this.

Isn't it the other way round? The current state of knowledge is that the universe is expanding with increasing speed and that there is not enough mass (Dark Matter included) to slow down this process. The existence of Dark Matter would explain some gravitational effects on galaxies however.

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

The last I heard is that the universe appears to be slowing down overall, whereas locally, the universe is speeding up. It is the slowing down with the lack of observable mass that made us postulate dark matter. It is the local part speeding up that made us postulate dark energy. :thumbsup:

Don't worry. I am sure they will change their minds yet again in the next hundred years or so. What's a hundred years when we're talking about events that will occur billions of years in the future?

The last I heard is that the universe appears to be slowing down overall, whereas locally, the universe is speeding up. It is the slowing down with the lack of observable mass that made us postulate dark matter. It is the local part speeding up that made us postulate dark energy :)

:rolleyes::huh::blink: ok that just totally made no sense from the universe seems to be slowing down part.

Anyone care to explain what dark matter actually is to an un-enlightened petay?? o:)

The last I heard is that the universe appears to be slowing down overall, whereas locally, the universe is speeding up. It is the slowing down with the lack of observable mass that made us postulate dark matter. It is the local part speeding up that made us postulate dark energy. :rolleyes:

I'm curious, when did the "accelerating expansion" theory fall and what observation led to this shift of opinion?

:rolleyes:  :huh:  :blink: ok that just totally made no sense from the universe seems to be slowing down part.

Anyone care to explain what dark matter actually is to an un-enlightened petay?? o:)

I've found some understandable NASA articles about this topic.

The last I heard is that the universe appears to be slowing down overall, whereas locally, the universe is speeding up. It is the slowing down with the lack of observable mass that made us postulate dark matter. It is the local part speeding up that made us postulate dark energy. :rolleyes:

I'm curious, when did the "accelerating expansion" theory fall and what observation led to this shift of opinion?

Actually, you are correct. It's the other way around. :S

The local groups are behaving like there's more mass than can be observed. Explanation: Dark Matter.

The expansion is going faster than anyone predicted (except for Einstein). Explanation: Dark Energy.

I have some reading to do...

The local groups are behaving like there's more mass than can be observed. Explanation: Dark Matter.

The expansion is going faster than anyone predicted (except for Einstein). Explanation: Dark Energy.

Actually, it's "Um Dark Matter" and "Um Dark Energy".

"The local groups are acting like there's a lot more matter around."

"There is more! It's just, um, dark matter."

"Good one. And for the universe as a whole?"

"Um, "dark" energy?"

There are a number of intersting theories floating around as to where that mass is and what she... er, it, is up to.

Lots of happy physics/cosmo grad students.

A Sith with a dark lightsaber fighting a Jedi with a bright lightsaber would make a spetacular duel, I think. The floor on the Sith's side would be all shadowy due to the black light illumination, while the floor on the Jedi's side would be bright and when the two lightsabers clash, the black one will contrast in the light while the bright one will contrast in the darkness. Talk about special effects lol.

The last I heard is that the universe appears to be slowing down overall, whereas locally, the universe is speeding up. It is the slowing down with the lack of observable mass that made us postulate dark matter. It is the local part speeding up that made us postulate dark energy :)

:blink::huh::blink: ok that just totally made no sense from the universe seems to be slowing down part.

Dark matter is matter that we can't (for the moment) detect. We can spot the effects of it in gravity, but -- as has been noted above -- there are observable phenomena that don't correlate to the calculated mass from the observed universe. The "dark matter" (or "Um Dark Matter" :)) ) is just a shorthand way to make the observations make sense.

Dark energy is a type of "negative pressure" that acts in opposition to normal the forces, like gravity, so this helps explain why the universe is expanding faster than it has been calculated to be. (It is expanding faster than it should be according to several independent observational corroborations, such as the cosmic microwave background, gravitational lensing, age of the universe, big bang nucleosynthesis, large scale structure and measurements of the Hubble parameter, as well as improved measurements of the supernov

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT