Is NWN 2 Going To Be Playable?

Well After crying, restarting, re-installing, downloading drivers (serveral times, by serveral different people), applying manual patches, tweaking graphics, laughing at sound, squinting at fmv's and considering returning the game, waitnig for patch, applying patch, playing... no crashing.. no killing machine... getting really upset, I have one last important question:

Having played and loved both KoToR 1, and NWN 1.

I wish to know for sure that if i go and buy NWN 2, am I going to be

wondering if Obsidian were pushed in to creating the mess that

would NOT pass at university level software design, or that perhaps it was

time constraints that caused the release of such a low quality piece of software.

I loved the first titles of both licenses, and now find myself wondering if

i'm going to be able to play the sequels ever??

KoToR 2 still will not run on my machine (after all patches applied), is NWN 2 going to have the same effect?

Obsidian I put this to you:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE restore my faith. I do not like moaning, I do not join debats about whose card is better, or which processor is bigger.

I am not one to just complain without trying first. Please don't dismiss this as an insult or a childish whine.

Restore my faith! Make KoToR 2 run on my ATI 9700 Pro, and create NWN 2 in all it's glory......first time, without patches, without manual fixes, without poor quality sound or FMV's. Prove yourself to be the designers you got a degree to be.

Like any PC game it will be down to luck. You may have gotten lucky with KOTOR and NWN but equally many people didnt. Obviously not particularly consilitory if your the one with the none working game but thats pretty much the bottom line of PC software. Generally depending on which card family you happen to use a game will either work well, or it wont.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

well actually i'm losing my faith in obsidian as well. and shadowpaladin, if he got to play nwn and kotor 1 (well i also did) doesn't mean he was lucky. bioware just took their time to finish those games, and they made run on almost (all is impossible) every pc.

well actually i'm losing my faith in obsidian as well. and shadowpaladin, if he got to play nwn and kotor 1 (well i also did) doesn't mean he was lucky. bioware just took their time to finish those games, and they made run on almost (all is impossible) every pc.

No they didn't..I personally know a lot of people who have had problems with both games...

I know people to whom K2 was more stable than K1..

It depends on your system too...

And both K1 and NWN crashed more than K2 on my PC

Their message boards after release, especially for NwN which granted is a more complex thing to get working told a different story. If it happens to you then your much more likely to see it as a problem than if its happening to someone else.

At least one of those titles required an emergency patch because of some oversight.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's just a matter of quality assurance truth be told. I work in retail and i've done degree level programming and i can apreciate that errors and such can and will creep in, esspecially with such a diverse platform such as the PC.

But i'm sorry thats what API's are for!!!! To stop the inconsistencies in the difference of hardware platforms becoming a problem. I know this could be argued to we're all blue in the face, btu i own a popular card, CPU and motherboard chipset.

It's jsut that when you buy something it's dis-heartening to have it fail so often and so badly. I think that perhaps a line has to be drawn somewhere with regards to the quality of software. At the moment the rules on software are sketchy at best and consumers have no come back if things go pair shaped.

Example: 6 (yes just six worldwide) apple laptop batteries cause a major problem, result: all laptops called back.

Example: Thousands of PC's won't run software, patch maybe soon perhaps cust services will dodge nicely maybe.

Sometimes the excitment of playing a game blinds us to the fact that the product is neither ready nor to any standard, yet we still take it happily and make excuses for those who fail us.

Thats all for now..... i'm tired and grumpy so there!

It does depend on luck it seems. KOTOR II runs better on my machine as KOTOR did frame rate wise, without the crashing like the original had. NWN only runs slightly better on my XP 3000 and 9600 xt than it did when I had a 1 ghz duron and a TNT2, and it crashes more now. I've always blamed all my problems on Bioware's less than stable engines and code.

I think NWN2, with all the code rewriting, is going to be a test for Obsidian.