Support

In many ways this is the combat aspect of KOTORII's influence system. Used in the Fireemblem series, the idea is that each character will have a relationship potential with other characters and by having the units in close proximity over time (depending on how easily character A+B relate) a support will develop.

A support is basically a boost in stats and or combat potential when the two characters are together. Think of it as the next level of the Dual Strike feat in KOTOR II. Rather than a simple bonus it becomes about the relationship between characters , how they fight together and can read each others moves and thus draw strength from that and improve accordingly.

It also leads nicely onto combo attacks and team attacks which would open up as the support level between characters rose.

If that is a little difficult to grasp here is an example from fireEmblem.

The starting character Lyn(dis) has the following support options.

Eliwood, Hector, Florina, Wallace, Rath, Wil, Kent

If she spends enough time fighting alongside any of those characters, or for KOTOR terms ,she and any of those characters are paired for long enough. That will trigger a support conversation and the appropriate combat boost and or teqnique.

While the calculations are a bit complex, the concept itself is simple enough and gives a very organic feel of growing closeness in combat and the transition from individiual warriors to group working together and working off of each other.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

So baisicly what you're suggesting is if my female Exile is close to Atton and keeps him in her party enough, she and Atton will get bonuses to their stats whenever he's in the party because they learn to fight well together and support each other? And more time they fight beside each other, the higher the bonus? Something like that?

sig2.gif

So baisicly what you're suggesting is if my female Exile is close to Atton and keeps him in her party enough, she and Atton will get bonuses to their stats whenever he's in the party because they learn to fight well together and support each other?  And more time they fight beside each other, the higher the bonus?  Something like that?

Yes. Certain characters will support faster than others depending on the hidden factors.

Atton may have a very high affinity with a female PC where as the Handmaiden may have a very low one which would mean it would take longer for that bond to develope.

Higher bonuses, access to new support feats, new moves etc.

There is a variation of it in ShadowHearts II. At first it requires almost super human reflexes to pull off combo attacks. The longer the characters spend together the longer the delay becomes between button presses. At maximum relationship it's easier than the hit wheel. Very good way to spice up combat.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Not in the way you suggest. Someone getting 20 more points of strnegth because they'r eaprtnered up with another specific person is nothing but powergaming, and sure as heck doens't happen in REAL pnp role-playing; not your pretend stuff. It's munchkiny plain and simple outside of a few moral boosts here and there as situational boosts. Anything else is not role-playing; but munchkiny and powergaming.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Not in the way you suggest. Someone getting 20 more points of strnegth because they'r eaprtnered up with another specific person is nothing but powergaming, and sure as heck doens't happen in REAL pnp role-playing; not your pretend stuff. It's munchkiny plain and simple outside of a few moral boosts here and there as situational boosts. Anything else is not role-playing; but munchkiny and powergaming.

Who said they get 20 more points of strength. Wasnt me.

Changes in relationships in combat need to be reflected by stats. Thats because stats are at the heart of roleplaying systems. Whether or not it is powergaming is on the part of the individual. Nothing inherently makes it so.

Develop a combat bond with someone regardless of the stat increases it's roleplaying. Develop one soley to get those bonuses and it's powergaming. No different to any other aspect of RPGs. FireEmblem solves it by only giving supports to those who would logically have such relationships. It's a powergaming safeguard.

478327[/snapback]

I think it's a great idea, I hope they use this in KotOR 3.

If only it had been in K2, Atton and I would have been unstoppable. :p I mean, I had to have taken him everywhere (except for Dxun, oh how I missed him :wub: jk).

sig2.gif