BETTER STORYLINE

KOTOR or KOTOR2  

236 members have voted

1. 1. KOTOR or KOTOR2

• KOTOR
    • KOTORII

I like the storyline of KotOR 2 much more. I like how it was darker and longer then KotOR and how the characters, in my opinion, are much more fleshed out. I will say that KotOR 2 is not finished and if the ending would be fixed it would surpass KotOR in every way. I felt KotOR was a little cheesy while KotOR 2 seemed to have more substance. (until the end) <_<

As I said in the other thread, I considere that K2's storyline was more envolving and interesting in the first and middle part of the game, until you solve the four planets' problems. K1 was the opposite, the storyline interested more after the revelation at the Leviathan.

And obviously, all the cut content and those things ruin the game, even more if we remember the glorious ending of K1.

The apprentice has learned his final lesson.

Agreed. K2 should never have been a direct sequal of K1. But my guess is that with the huge success of K1 they decided to follow the movie pattern and make a trilogy out of the game.

For me, K2's story started off poorly. Peragus was boring as hell and seemed to drag on forever. Telos was also a drag, with all the running back and fourth. Then it got better once you got off Telos and explored the planets looking for the Jedi Masters. The story started to go downhill with Korriban (boring and an exact replica of the K1 map), and after the encounter with the Masters on Dantooine the game really went downhill from there, ending with a boring planet and a bad conclusion.

For me, K2's story started off poorly.  Peragus was boring as hell and seemed to drag on forever.  Telos was also a drag, with all the running back and fourth.  Then it got better once you got off Telos and explored the planets looking for the Jedi Masters.  The story started to go downhill with Korriban (boring and an exact replica of the K1 map), and after the encounter with the Masters on Dantooine the game really went downhill from there, ending with a boring planet and a bad conclusion.

I don't considere Peragus as a boring part. I prefer Peragus to Taris, which seems to me very very boring.

And when you begin K2, you are full of questions, there are a lot of things you don't understand and which you want to discover, and that part is better than the simple RPG story that K1 has at beginning. Nevertheless, K2 goes down and down after the meeting at Dantooine, instead of K1's plot improvement after the confrontation/revelation with Malak.

I was more addicted to K2's first part than I was to K1's, but actually I like K1 more. The second/final part of that game is insuperable.

The apprentice has learned his final lesson.

K1 - Story of master versus apprentice

K2 - Story of Jedi Knight versus master (since OE put Kreia as a mentor)

Not really an apprentice in K2 as PC is described to be a Jedi Knight who lost connection to the force.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

I felt KotOR's story was more involved, I cared a lot more about the characters, and it always went uphill, not downhill.

KotOR 2 was great in its own way, but still I thought the plot could get boring at times (it wasn't nearly as exciting and rip-roaring adventure feel as KotOR... KotOR2 felt static also if you know what I mean..), the environments seemed badly made and un-star-warsy (the story also seemed kinda far-fetched, even for Star Wars) to me, and of course the plot had gaps bigger than a fat woman's a... You get the picture.

Sure, KotOR2 was complex, blurred the lines between the light and dark sides of the Force, and that's great, I like it for that. Thing is, in doing that, and it wanting to present a 'dark and ominous' storyline, I think it kinda lost track of what Star Wars is all about.

And that is part of why I like KotOR better.

(Also remember that part in KotOR near the end when (spoilers for KotOR)

on the dark side you and Bastila are heading for the Star Forge and Vandar (the Yoda-looking little guy) contacts you by hologram and Bastila says something like "Yes, Master" and something else and you're in the back smiling, an evil look on your face... Little does Vandar know you've turned against him... See? Great moments like that which were in KotOR, I longed for in KotOR2.)

This works better for spoilers, not? -Battlewookiee

Edited by Battlewookiee

N

the game goes downhill at this line

... if by killing these masters you have achieved any measures of peace

All your possible replies are the same one and after that, it's a rush to the credits

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

I tend to disagree.  While they attempted a deep storyline, it fell flat on its face because there really was no underlying theme or lesson or objective in the story.  The only real thing I derived was that good or evil, your choices don't matter, which isn't true.  That, and they portrayed the force as some manipulative being *cough*Kreia*cough* that enslaves life, another farse. 

I couldn't disagree more. Thematically, the game is very deep. KOTOR:1 had a nice twist, but lacked any depth. Malak was a cardboard cutout villian, and never once in the game did I feel like I was playing anything other than a black-and-white simplistic story.

KOTOR:2 really digs deep down and explores the roots of whether or not violence is ever justified. Were the Jedi right to avoid getting involved in the Mandalorian Wars? Was the Exile right for disobeying them? Is it possible to fight for what is right and not be affected by the ammount of violence, death and suffering surrounding you?

I could not agree more. KOTOR was relatively placid; BioWare crafted a very popular twist yet never fully developed on it. I always hoped that once the PC discovered his identity there would be some sort of self-confrontation, a shred of remorse perhaps, the absolute need for redemption. Revan is effectively a war criminal; he's responsible for the deaths of millions, yet despite the potential for characterization it's never really dissected. Its largely ignored in fact, save for the odd sentence here or there.

So it was left for Obsidian to flesh out the conflict, to depict just how detrimental the consequences were, and in the exile we have a PC who is constantly in conflict with his past, who has been evading his actions for almost a decade, till he is forced into confrontation. Some of the highlights of TSL for me were the discussions between Bao-dur and the exile, their experiences, those feelings that they could never express, not to anyone who was hadn't experienced the horrors they had first hand.

They handled this material quite sensitively too. Not to have this descend into some Revan verses Exile debate but there's one dialogue selection that never fails to get me. Your first level up, Kreia reveals to the exile that he can feel the force, to which he can respond something to the tune of "Not again. Never again!" and in those few words the exile becomes more sympathetic a character than Revan ever was.

Obsidian really grit their collective teeth and went all out and yes, TSL wasn't a unanimous success thanks to time constraints (which I think is responsible for much of the contempt) but I think they crafted a very brave game that chose to question instead of simply handing out recycled conventions.

The thing about K2 which made it quite difficult to see as a game with a story by itself was the thought that the Republic was suffering a long and slow defeat. Basically, being set up for false expectations which effectively omits things that a sequel to K2 could describe.

Deep from within...

朱宣澧

Kotor is a bit better more dialogue options and of course the ending and the fight with Malak!! Although the darkside ending was was cooler looking ! Everyone loves blind obiedence :)

With Kotor2 we had higher expectations since we played the first! and I suppose that obsidian attempted to have an "Empire Strikes back ending" but it just didn't have the same affect perhaps would feel I bit different if everything that was cut was but back in

I just wish that you could get a "Sith Lightsaber" in the sequel. I loved going to the Sith Academy and earning my unique, personal weapon by completing all the tasks and proving myself. Although it doesn't compliment the KotOR ii storyline, I wish you could also take on the roll of either Scoundrel, Scout or Soldier again.

The only thing that i dislike about KotOR ii, in comparison to the first, is how your character moved while carrying weapons. I liked in KotOR how he kept in low, by your side - as you would if you were wielding a stick of energy, or any sharp instrument for that matter - instead of running with it whiring past your face. I also liked the way your character attacked in KotOR, with reference to the way he/she executed a flurry for example. It just looked cooler.

I'm pretty sure the Flurry animation was unchanged, but whatever.

I preferred the KOTOR 2 storyline, even in its unfinished state.

The big beef I had with the KOTOR storyline was that I had already played it when I played Neverwinter Nights. But people remember the twist and likely remember going "OMFGz0rs@!~!!!111eleventy-one" so that's probably why it does so well.

"The big beef I had with the KOTOR storyline was that I had already played it when I played Neverwinter Nights."

False. the only similarities in the two stories were the two ladies, and both NWN and KOTOR had that in common with KOTOR2, and its leading lady. Next please.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

LOLLIPOP! Ever since I've come back you always jump out at my posts in particular, even if I'm saying the same thing as others in the thread.

I don't know what started your unhealthy obsession with me though.

Hopefully you feel better soon :)

The ending killed the game for me.  Nothing is worse than abad ending let alone the bugs.  Hate to say this but K1 was better also the story of K1 had no room for a proper sequel.  K2 was doomed from the start.

I agree that K1 left no room for a proper sequel and that K2 was doomed from the start.

But the fact that they were able to do what they did with it, under the most unfavorable circumstances does, I think, speak highly of OE. That is not cheap flattery...it is the truth.

I suspect that the suits at LA originally conceived K2 and K3 as being much different than the first. Now, as I see it, they pretty much have to make it into a proper trilogy with real resolution of the principles of both K1 and K2.

NOTE: I believe that one of the reasons they "opened it back up" was that the fans kept harping about Revan and the fact that Revan was now an EU construct whose story was being told in the games. LA truely did not grasp that Revan would end up in the EU and (arguably) as its most popular character. They found themselves caught in flypaper of their (BioWare's) own making. And, the funny thing is, Revan was envisioned as a masked, unisex construct, not as a SW hero.

They all should have known better....no more pregens for SW games! The fans will not let pregens die and the comic companies are not going to pass up an opportunity to tell their stories.

K2 did not have reference points in the game where dialogue could occur between a key character and the PC towards the end,

especially since Kreia leaves for Malachor

. Can only think of Dol Grenn and Carth.

Don't forget to use the Spoiler Tags -Battlewookiee

Edited by Battlewookiee

Deep from within...

朱宣澧

kotor 2 can never be better than kotor 1 for the following reasons:

- same ending no matter what

- no real ending

- very linear

- re-used cut scenes for dark/light when the story does vary a little (even then it comes back to linear for no real reason other than its easier to make the game that way)

- many plot holes, more than kotor 1

- kria is lame (annoying, obvious, weak, but the game is made around her)

- the main bad guys are really weak and have no badness

- bao dur sucks

- the death of the force crap (if a guy is a force void why is he able to use it? its not the death of if he still has it and this crap conflicts with both the "midichlorians" and "the force in everything" ideas. he doesnt take midichlorians out of anyone or anything and if the force holds the universe together and a force void's been through the place then the universe would not hold together.)

been awhile since i played it so i cant remember everything that made kotor 2 < kotor 1.