BETTER STORYLINE

KOTOR or KOTOR2  

236 members have voted

1. 1. KOTOR or KOTOR2

• KOTOR
    • KOTORII

KotOR 2.

I liked that game because I got to know more about the Darth side of Revan.. and why he went to the darkside etc, I got to know more about the mandalorian wars too :-

and the story was actually quite good, it seems like the Yuuzhan Vong type invasion is about to happen (Hey, didnt Luke go off to uncharted space too?)

Shane Tyduk

Some awesome title name here

"If you sharpen a knife to its limits,

you run the risk of cutting your own

hand. The knife has no choice but to

be as sharp as you made it."

I tend to disagree. While they attempted a deep storyline, it fell flat on its face because there really was no underlying theme or lesson or objective in the story. The only real thing I derived was that good or evil, your choices don't matter, which isn't true. That, and they portrayed the force as some manipulative being *cough*Kreia*cough* that enslaves life, another farse.

As for the Revan thing, I hated that to because after that Revan felt less like YOUR character, and the 'falling to the darkside because he had to' theme is lame and utter BS, in my opinion. At least in K1, the story was ingenious in its simplicity, and their was a whole bunch of philosphy rooted in it, such as themes of redemption, forgiveness, and judgment. It was also, IMO, way more satisfying, particularly because you actually felt like you accomplished something, and the ending gave you more than just flying off in a little ship.

In the words of Dufflover, it felt like you just coincidentally defeated the Sith while searching for the Jedi masters.

In my own beliefs, Chris Avellone (and any other dev responsible for the story) deserves to be stoned in the streets....or to listen to Kreia talk for hours on end. >_<" :D Wait...that might be too cruel.

I disagree. It never fell on it's face when trying to deliver it's story, it was well delivered IMO. Kotor 1 for me will never be anything more than a good RPG story, it was by no means a great story. The achievment experienced is mainly due to the little movie sequence at the end of the game - which, in reality, wasn't all that better than Kotor 2's. Kotor 2 gave me a sense of achievment, I had a character who had surpassed his teacher and all her students before him.

While Kotor1 addressed the darkside and lightside in the much fancied,simplistic way, this game approached it in a more real sense, it showed that there isn't always such a clear cut distinction between doing good and being bad, that both can mean the same thing in certain circumstances. The idea that the force has a will, is an idea that has been in existence in the Star wars universe before this game. It was a concept that was never fully elaborated upon - you should know, that it's a belief that's always been held by the Jedi.

Much as some choose simply to say, 'kotor2's storyline attempted to be deep, but it fell flat on it's face', I choose to acknowledge the fine work Obsidian did in delivering a more enganging, compelling and deeper storyline than the first.

I tend to disagree.  While they attempted a deep storyline, it fell flat on its face because there really was no underlying theme or lesson or objective in the story.  The only real thing I derived was that good or evil, your choices don't matter, which isn't true.  That, and they portrayed the force as some manipulative being *cough*Kreia*cough* that enslaves life, another farse. 

It didn't fall apart until just before Malachor V. And even then it didn't necessarily "fall apart" as much as it just....ended.

Up until about the meeting with the Jedi Masters on Dantooine, it was a good story. Sure there were some plot holes due to either time constraints or removed content, but that just goes more to the polish of the story than whether it was good or deep.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I tend to disagree.  While they attempted a deep storyline, it fell flat on its face because there really was no underlying theme or lesson or objective in the story.  The only real thing I derived was that good or evil, your choices don't matter, which isn't true.  That, and they portrayed the force as some manipulative being *cough*Kreia*cough* that enslaves life, another farse. 

I couldn't disagree more. Thematically, the game is very deep. KOTOR:1 had a nice twist, but lacked any depth. Malak was a cardboard cutout villian, and never once in the game did I feel like I was playing anything other than a black-and-white simplistic story.

KOTOR:2 really digs deep down and explores the roots of whether or not violence is ever justified. Were the Jedi right to avoid getting involved in the Mandalorian Wars? Was the Exile right for disobeying them? Is it possible to fight for what is right and not be affected by the ammount of violence, death and suffering surrounding you?

Futhermore, instead of a cookie-cutter villian, you have symbols of hunger, pain and betrayal. The Sith became more than silly bullies. The 3 Sith Lords weren't executed perfectly, but from a theme standpoint, there certainly was far more to the story.

Both games have a very different feel and I love them both in their own way.

In KoTOR one I never felt that my companions would turn on me and always felt they would stick through with me no matter what. Even when Bastilla fell to the dark side I had a feeling there would be a chance to redeem her at some point. Even the bickering between characters, such as Canderous & Carth, didn't feel very threatening. I actually felt sorry for Malak at the end of the game, realizing that because of what Revan did Malak also fell.

KoTOR II had a much more sinister feeling to it though. It felt like the bickering was much more hostile and your characters could betray you or each other at any moment. I liked that feeling of tension, and the feeling that gaining influence over them would effect the ending. Holy cow did obsidian blow it. I could feel from the early sections that the interactions had more weight to them and would lead to something grand, only to get to Malachor V and have it turn into a dungeon crawl. Using the influence system and having your characters stick by your side or fall to the dark side would have been brilliant and tragic.

I think with a better ending people would appreciate the story more.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that with a better ending it'd be remembered as quite a memorable story. Alas, the ending of a game is usually what most people remember, so it automatically sours people on the rest of the game.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I definatly agree with you there GreasyDogMeat (can i call you GDM? :shifty:)), I also felt that in K1 the characters would stick by you and trusted you always, even if it didn't seem like that [Carth], but in K2 you couldn't trust anyone and they all didn't trust you all the time, such as G0T0 and Visas really, because of their history or their involvements.

I also thought that the influence system could have been better implemented than it was, such as; if you had really high influence with somebody/people, they would stick by you and want to follow you all the time. On the other hand, if you had really low influence with somebody/people then they would follow you for a while, but then lose faith in you, and disagee with you, eventually falling to the DS and becoming your enemy in the final 'showdown'.

I don't think K1 was as black and white as some say. (it was definitely more so than K2, I'll admit) I thought K1 did show how good/evil isn't so easy to define sometimes. Take Yuthura Ban, for instance. She appeared evil at first, and she was a Sith. But as you talk to her and learn about her past and redeem her after the battle, you find that she isn't evil after all. But as for black and white, sometimes there are clear distinctions between right and wrong.

As for party members, I did prefer them in K1. :lol: I actually liked most of them (except maybe T3). Whatt I like, though, was that it clearly showed that the choices you make, good or evil, can have very different consequences. In the end was where K2 fell apart, because it didn't make that great a distinction. But hey, that's my opinion.

So do I. K1 had that for both lightside and darkside, but I don't think you can call K2's ending one. K3 had better have a happy ending or else. Heck, I'll make a mod to change the ending if need be. A "Return of the King" type would be nice, one with plenty of darkness and drama, but a happy result in the end. :thumbsup:

I don't mind happy endings, but most of the time I actually find them implausible (War of the Worlds).

For the most part I actually prefer an unhappy ending. It's far more emotional, and therefore memorable, to me.

I don't mind happy endings, but most of the time I actually find them implausible (War of the Worlds).

I know this is really OT but the ending to that was absolutely crap!! And how it finished so soon was just ridiculous!! :angry:

*Ahem* :- anyway.......the rest of it was good, and most of the time i prefer happy endings too.

• 1 month later...

Well, the way I see it is that K2 does take the story along a different direction than K1. K1 certainly has a remarkably undeniable plot with appropriate pacing. K2 only needs to have a strengthening of its ending. The Restoration Team might be able to shed some light on this.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧