BETTER STORYLINE

KOTOR or KOTOR2  

236 members have voted

1. 1. KOTOR or KOTOR2

• KOTOR
    • KOTORII

This is Star Wars, where the Sith are supposed to be the bad guys...

And they still are in KOTOR II. Revan may have had an ultimate purpose in mind, but he also did extremely evil things to achieve it. Even Vader only turned when he thought it would protect his wife. Star Wars plots can't keep relying on the cliche of the one dimensional super villain; it's just not very interesting anymore.

I liked that Revan wanted to take over the galaxy.  KOTOR II made him/her into a hero no matter what.

Which made him more interesting. Star Wars has enough twirly mustache villains and naive super heroes, in my opinion. Jedi or Sith, both extremes are inherently dull. It's what's in between them that catches our attention, and the Revan character begged for more detail than Bioware provided.

It's just another example of how developers invalidate PC's by adding their own "special touches" to storylines. I actually would have been happy if Revan were dead, just because it would complete the story the way the player wanted it.

It's just another example of how developers invalidate PC's by adding their own "special touches" to storylines.  I actually would have been happy if Revan were dead, just because it would complete the story the way the player wanted it.

I'm not sure what you were expecting. No matter what Obsidian did, they would have "invalidated" the PC, Light or Dark Side. If you were good, you're just another hero no one remembers in a millenia. If you're Dark Side- well, clearly you don't really take over the galaxy because it's still the Republic 3,000 years later. Sending Revan off into the wilderness is probably the most neutral conclusion Obsidian could have written, and it sets up the premise of the third game quite well.

I was expecting a complete game with an ending that made sense. But honesty, I was never too attached to Revan. I really didn't care about his/her fate. That's why at least if Revan were dead it would give some closure.

The Exile is also dull and, though you're being hunted by every living Sith, the character feels very obselete and unimportant. Not to mention a mute, for some reason.

the exile is a mute?!

how about revan!!

No, because if you switch between characters in KOTOR at least Revan says things like "Yes?" or "What?" and he/she grunts and yells and such during battle, which I believe added a nice affect. KOTOR2.... mute. Exile fights, Exile dies, Exile makes no sound. Exile = mute.

Im sorry but thats the stupidest arguement ive ever heard.

Youyr picking one game over the other because the PC says "What" and "Yes"?

ROFLMAO! Please tell me you have more reasons then just that! !!!!!!

To funny!

<_< If you had bothered to read my first post, you would have seen that I had quite a few reasons. Besides, it didn't really bother me, I added it as a humorous after thought, so chill.

• 3 weeks later...

Play nice, children! (sorry) I voted KOTOR I as the better storyling. K2 had potential, but fell flat on its face and through the floor. K1 was just more appealing to me on many fronts. K2's was too dark, depressing, and confusing.

I know, resurrecting an old thread, but I had to put my opinion in. :">

KOTOR1 had a better "main" storyline than KOTOR2 ...IF Obsidian had more time (cough Lucasarts cough).

Though for what its worth, KOTOR2 did flesh out characters more. The influence system, although quite flawed, was a good start... It was still an improvement over the time-triggered BG2-esque character interactions.

So, I would say KOTOR1 storyline> KOTOR2 storyline

KOTOR2 character interaction > KOTOR1 character interaction

image002.gifLancer

Both KOTORs would have been better if they had a defined player character like Jrpgs.  Just my opinion. :ph34r:

I can't even imagine Hades Ones' reaction to this :D

This would be better because you would use the same character each time like Kyle Katarn. You could watch the same character develop his story over an extended period of time. This would allow for more emotional investment.

It would also prevent nightmare situations like what we've got now with Revan. In KOTOR II, we still haven't determined whether or not our PC from the first game is dead or alive. I mean come on! Now, if KOTOR III is made, we've got Revan running around (or dead) and Exile living or dead. In addition, all the choices: were the two PCs characters LS or DS, is Revan/Exile male or female, did he/she kill any party members or NPCs (if so we can't use those characters again)... ect. ect.

KOTOR should have had a strong, defined PC to begin with. :wub:

KOTOR should have had a strong, defined PC to begin with. ;)

More than that, if they (lucasarts) knew, or atleast had an idea, that they wanted the KOTOR series to be more than just one game, they should have insisted on a level limit for the PC. That way Revan wouldn't be too powerful by the end of KOTOR 1 and would be feasible as a PC in KOTOR 2, and repeat this process so Revan's still feasible in KOTOR 3 (or however many they intend to make).

As it is, Revan got too powerful by the end of KOTOR 1 that it made it pretty much impossible to use him/her as the PC in KOTOR 2.

From a "story" point of view, I'd probably have rather seen Revan remain the protagonist throughout the KOTOR series. But from a gameplay point of view, as well as "logical" point of view, it wouldn't have made much sense since Revan's just way too powerful at the end of the first game.

Poor overall planning on the part of Lucasarts if you ask me.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

SP, I dont think Bioware is incapable of writing subtle storytelling, I think they write to their audience. Which is a good bussiness practice to be honest.

I know (other then being Revan) nothing in KotOR1 surprised me and NOTHING at all in JE surprised me (By the start of chapter 3 I had guess ALL twists in the plot correctly). Yet you visit Bioware boards and you see never ending posts from people claiming they WERE surprised. Then you look back at these boards when K2 was originally released and you see the never ending threads from players who didnt understand parts or all of the story lines. LOL, there was endless posts about K2 being bugged when in fact the answers to peoples questions were in the storyline if they paid attention.

It just becomes appearent the many many players out there DONT want to be challenged or forced to think far as storylines goes, they want it all layed out clearly with no forshadowing what so ever. So Bioware is writing to their customer base.

I agree its fustrating to not be challenged and not have to think, but many players only skim read rather then actually read whats being said in todays linear games. Thats how they want it.

I still rank K2 as better then K1 or JE because it was NOT written for the reading impaired but when you look at the shear number of posts you have to realize people just dont want to be challenged in their games today.

Its just a said truth to todays gaming, if it challenges you beyond combat its bad. You see it over and over in many titles. Those that said Halo had a good story (its story was written like a freaking Jack and Jill book), those that hated K2 storyline or claim it was less detailed then K1 story, those that say K1 or JE wasnt linear or predictable.

Heck, just look at this poll itself and how many "THINK" K1 storyline was better. Anyone who reads even casually knows K2 was better written, but K1 was much much much more direct in its writing style.

So, because those are YOUR opinions on all those games, it makes them right...and that any SMART person should agree with you?

Even with the lack of an ending, confusing and yet razor thin plot, and the virtually nonexistant Sith. :p KOTOR I may have been cliche, but I think it was still better by far. One of things I disliked most was that whether light or dark, your choices didn't matter, because you still accomplished basically same thing in the big picture. In the first, the last part of the game as well as the ending were very different depending on your light/darkside alignment.

Kotor 2 had better a better story potential I believe. I was rather impressed with the characters and the basics. The final implementation of it was rather disapointing however. Nihilus definatly needed to be fleshed out more.

he eats worlds! lets go scold him

The second game feels incomplete and unpolished. I've run into a lot of dialog that just sounded lame, and there are a number of little actions that provide no reward at all, whether they be alignment adjustments or experience.

The story's alright so far, but I can't get over how irritating some of the dialog can be. It just feels like the game was half-finished. Personally, I prefered the first, if only because it felt like I was playing a finished product and not a beta test.

Even with the lack of an ending, confusing and yet razor thin plot, and the virtually nonexistant Sith.  :thumbsup:  KOTOR I may have been cliche, but I think it was still better by far.  One of things I disliked most was that whether light or dark, your choices didn't matter, because you still accomplished basically same thing in the big picture.  In the first, the last part of the game as well as the ending were very different depending on your light/darkside alignment.

Thats not true because in Kotor 1 you could still make darkside choices in the end and still have a light side ending.

Based on popularity alone Kotor 1 would win. But imagine if these two stories were novelized? I would bet that Kotor 2 would definetly be the better of the two Novels.

(...)

Based on popularity alone Kotor 1 would win. But imagine if these two stories were novelized? I would bet that Kotor 2 would definetly be the better of the two Novels.

Yeah I think you're right. Just that K1 fits more to an RPG. In K2 it just felt like your choices didn't mean anything. It's just like in The Phantom Menace you could choose whether to get a T14 hyperdrive generator (or how that thing was named) one way or another - thing is you ended up the same but in that game that was the whole purpose of it. You weren't to change the story.

BTW K2's story wouldn't be novelized anyway since the similarities of

Kreia-Palpy and whining answers by the Exile-Anakin

Kotor1 storyline was great it was well organised and surprising, but it was too long. Kotor2 story line can't be compared with kotor1 because kotor2 isn't a completed story i am waiting for a patch which is fixing the story and with more movies then maybe we can wote for this poll

Even with the lack of an ending, confusing and yet razor thin plot, and the virtually nonexistant Sith.  :blink:  KOTOR I may have been cliche, but I think it was still better by far.  One of things I disliked most was that whether light or dark, your choices didn't matter, because you still accomplished basically same thing in the big picture.  In the first, the last part of the game as well as the ending were very different depending on your light/darkside alignment.

Thats not true because in Kotor 1 you could still make darkside choices in the end and still have a light side ending.

True, but I'm saying that if you take the endings alone, lightside or darkside, they are very different. I am also including the very last part of the game as well, not just the ending cinematic. K2's endings were different too, but not as much. Depending on your choice of an ending, you accomplished different things in the end in K1. In K2 the difference wasn't as pronounced.

I do agree that K2 would make a better book, though. However, the stuff I got in K2 I would rather get as reading a book, not playing a game. K1's would probably also make a decent novel, though maybe not as good.

Kotor 1's story is on par with most RPG's Kotor 2's has more holes in it than you can shake a stick, lightsaber, swiss cheese, and a window screen at.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.