BETTER STORYLINE

KOTOR or KOTOR2  

236 members have voted

1. 1. KOTOR or KOTOR2

• KOTOR
    • KOTORII

I noticed in my long experience in playing many games over the years is that I always liked the sequels (same goes with movies). But sadly this is the first time I dont like the sequel. The gameplay is kinda better (except the difference in Jedi classes)and the graphics are pretty much the same (BUT I LOVE THE CLOAKS... although could do with more variety).

But to be on topic; when I played KOTOR i was really into the story and I wouldve NEVER guessed I would be Revan. But in KOTORII the story was a little boring because you already know soon after you meet Kreia how the story would end.

Jus wanna know which one u guys prefer.

AND BY THE WAY... Obsidian, if you're gonna make KOTOR 3... PLEEEEZ include more worlds, more variety in every thing (clothing, light saber hilts etc..) and PLZ make the story more in depth and longer lasting. DONT MAKE IT SO OBVIOUS!

I personally liked K1 better but this is a bit like the Matrix movies. Some people think K2 is better, some people think K1 is better, probably cos the story got all warped and the ending was screwed up even more by cut content. Some people found the typcial K1 story boring, I'm one those who don't mind those.

Both games are good, K1 is better.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Yea I guess I dont mind .... but it could've been so much better. Who in Obsidian came up with the story anyway?

It could've been a guy from LucasArts too.

Either way, they must've really liked the Matrix cos as Agent Smith had some pretty wacky goals, so did Kreia.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Actually I hope they dont put a character like Kreia as your companion in KOTOR 3... man her advice was boring... maybe *I* should be the master and give the advice LOL

EDIT: sorry not boring but ANNOYING

I really can't say exactly though I prefer K1's story cuz the main character was your character even though you got a fixed past ->

you're Revan.

K2's story was all about

Kreia. Starts with "Awaken" and ends with her words no matter what.

For what do we gather 3 jedi masters? -> to let Kreia defeat them.

For what do we kill 3 jedi masters? -> to show that you're strong cuz you beat them but Kreia zaps you which means she's even stronger.

For what Sion? -> To show that even a powerful Sith Lord wants to call her mommy and whines when she doesn't accept him.

Why didn't we get smart dialog options/intelligent thoughts and answers to choose from? To let Kreia have it all.

I didn't like Kreia that's why I didn't like K2's story all that much.

If it were a movie then ok ok - the story's good in K2,

the exile's a dumbass and Kreia's all powerful. But don't ruin the sequel of my favorite game dammit! (oops too late!)

Maybe it's because of K1 I got used to being important in the storyline and in K2 I felt like the pushover who's there just in case if anyone important wants to show how he/she can kick ass.

It's really hard to say. K1 was written better and had a better effect, but as far as blurring the lines between light and dark, I loved K2 for that. Plus, once you add in characters, K2 owned K1. Seriously, between KotOR and Jade Empire, I'm starting to think all of Bioware's characters have as much personality as cardboard. Except for maybe Carth and Jolee. I'm going to have to go with TSL on this one.

sig2.gif

Hard Decision.

I would have to go with Kotor 2, mainly because I enjoyed the stories of the characters better.

Honestly, I would have found 2 a leap ahead of number 1 if the game had been fleshed out more. To me, it showed itself being a great sequel that some top mad scientist had to break his neck in order to get out in a finished state.

The worlds seemed a little stunted, some quests seemed quickly wrapped up, however, the (to me) excellent storyline showed its potential. I loved being the Exile more than Revan.

However, that being said, I can't take anything away from number 1. I bought it fairly early, and left it on the 'to do' list, and when i got around to playing, slapped myself silly for not having a go sooner. Great game, Fun story, nice RPG. great fun.

My vote goes to number 2 though.

Replayed 1 twice. (Light/Dark) and played 2 three times through on light side alone, it must have made an impression.

I liked K1 story much more....before K2 came out I remember reading about it and one of the devs were talking about how they didn't want to try and deliver a more powerful story then K1, but focased more on combate and gameplay.

You gotta love Kreia at the end though, when your talking!!

"Did you think I would tell you some secret that would shatter you to your core? There is no secret. There is only you."

It was like in direct defiance of K1's story hahaha

Hard Decision.

I would have to go with Kotor 2, mainly because I enjoyed the stories of the characters better.

This is probably why I like K1 better than K2. The only story with the characters was turning them into Jedi. In K1 you had character quests, decent romance quests, and no stupid influence.

The idea was good but poorly executed

sigpic0yb.jpg

Hard Decision.

Honestly, I would have found 2 a leap ahead of number 1 if the game had been fleshed out more. To me, it showed itself being a great sequel that some top mad scientist had to break his neck in order to get out in a finished state.

I agree. KOTOR I was a really tight story with alot of good sidequests and subplots. But the main story was sooo simplistic and Carth and Zaldabaar (for instance) were so annoying and infantile.

KOTOR 2 has many faults. But, had they fleshed it out more, it would have been MUCH better than the first one. I like the NPCs much better in KOTOR 2 except that they needed to be fleshed out more and needed NPC sidequests.

And, of course, I like the gameplay enhancements of K2: train Jedis, lightsaber forms, Force forms, influence (yes, I know, needs work, but still), more customization for the lightsaber, etc.

The story of K2 was not thought out and had no foundation in any philosophy. It was just a bunch of cut scenes with talking heads speaking more gibberish than an early Star Trek TOS episode, spun together with meaningless fights and pointless dialogue trees.

The characters, specifically Kreia, Atris and the Jedi Masters all contradicted themselves in their dialigues: some even in the same monologue, in adjacent sentences! It was like trying to understand a six-year-old's theory on the creation of icecream. Very poor.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The story of K2 was not thought out and had no foundation in any philosophy. It was just a bunch of cut scenes with talking heads speaking more gibberish than an early Star Trek TOS episode, spun together with meaningless fights and pointless dialogue trees.

The characters, specifically Kreia, Atris and the Jedi Masters all contradicted themselves in their dialigues: some even in the same monologue, in adjacent sentences! It was like trying to understand a six-year-old's theory on the creation of icecream. Very poor.

I'm curious, what did you think of the Matrix movies? Alot of people thought it was great to have alot of action plus alot of philosophy packed into the same movie. Others, however, thought it was 3rd-rate nonsense.

That seems to be the case with K2. If you treat it as an essay on Philosophy and Religion, it sucks. If you threat it as a welcome twist to the normal cRPG, it kinda works. Anyway, that is how I see it.

And, I agree with what someone said the other day: K3 needs to give us a more straight-up story AND keep some of the philosophy mumbo jumbo. That would be ideal.

The first Matric film was and still is a classic. I often re-watch my boxed copy.

The sequels are just Kung-Fu movies, there is no real philosophical content to get your teeth into. (Well, there is some there, but it's dumbed down. It's much more consistent that K2, however, which couldn't even decide

if the death of the Force was the death of all life

or not. I didn't like the role they gave Morpheus in the sequels, in the original he was more the central character (like his name was meant to connote). The third one I thought was the worst.

PS This topic should really be in the SPOILERS forum, for obvious reasons.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

This is what I dont get... How could you do this to KOTOR... I think most would agree with me when i say that we would've prefered to wait longer for KOTOR2 to be completed...

Well Im probably over reacting but I just hope K3 will drag you into the story and kinda keep you at the edge of your seat like K1...

NOW Im just waiting for Oblivion to come out... If only BEthesda could produce KOTOR3 a la Elder Scrolls depth.

K2 for me.

Other then the Revan bit there was no surprises in K1, you always knew what was coming and why and it was boring to be honest in that regard. K1 and JE were to linear, they need to allow more freedom to the players.

I disagree about the side quests as well. I approached the influencing of different party NPCs to get their stories as the side quests (rather then the boring, oh go save my brother, yada yada yada stuff).

I found getting the stories (expecially from Handmaiden, Atton, Visas, and T3) to be excellently written and far more interesting then anything K1 or JE (excluding Black Whirlwind) had to offer. So while there actually was no specific linear quest to do, just influencing the party members made all encounters mean more.

I will say K1 ran smoother tho, Obsidian could have done some work to have the different settings flow togather better.

All in all K2 wins on most catagories by abit (not a huge margin) but enough to make it my favorite.

If only BEthesda could produce KOTOR3 a la Elder Scrolls depth.

I would like it if the KOTOR games had 60 hours of content the 5th time you play.

But not 500 hours of content!

LOL, id kill for KotOR or JE to have 60 hours (realistically) of playability on my first time through! Heck with 5th :)

LOL.. they werent too bad... It just added to more open gameplay.

Thats how i see the star wars universe... It has to be an open ended game like ES.. You start off as a no body... train up... do a s***t loads of side quests... and the main storyline is always there.

But i guess it would be way to big to make it like ES... Imagine trynna make all the planets 100%explorable.

If only BEthesda could produce KOTOR3 a la Elder Scrolls depth.

I would like it if the KOTOR games had 60 hours of content the 5th time you play.

But not 500 hours of content!

If it was 500 hours of interesting content, I'm all for it. Trouble is, it was pretty turgid stuff.

You could watch the 24 hour Le Mans race live, in one sitting, too. But that's not what people do.

Giving people a dictionary to read cover-to-cover is not content. Writers ought to be paid a lot more. A LOT MORE.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT