Padawan or Solo?

In K3, would you like to go solo again, or be a Padawan under a Master?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. In K3, would you like to go solo again, or be a Padawan under a Master?

• Padawan
    • Solo
    • Other (Please Specify)

Personally, I want to be a Padawan under the influence of a master. A lightsider would heed his teachings and listen to him, and a darksider would be somewhat as uncontrollable as Anakin.

I think I would play as lightside the first time, but after that I would play darkside just to hear my master say:

"I trusted you Charname!" :)

If it can be done in a way that doesn't echo the ever-lurking presence of Kreia.

If you spent the first third/half of the game accompanying your master on missions around the galaxy, sometimes at her side, sometimes sent off on your own for mini-quests or allowed to wander around by yourself. It would be rather linear, so not typical for Kotor, but if it were well written it could be fun.

Then at a point in the game your master would either fall to the dark side or get killed, leaving you to hunt her/her killers down. Could be very powerful.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Either as Padawan with the master together or as Master with a Padawan. No more Jedi within the player party then, two must be enough. Although it's nice to see your whole party in Jedi Robes with lightsabers I'd love to see it going back to the old ways, a master and a student.

For dark siders of course a switch of masters or drawing your student on your side then (or losing him to the other side of the force if you don't do the right things to him :)).

i dont see how we can have a padawan and jedi master in existence since they were all wiped out in kotor 2.

but if it were possible then maybe you and your master are sent on a mission in which you discover the legacy of revan and the exile so then you get sent on some mission to the ends of the galaxy to meet the true sith blah blah blah The End.

Padawan, but that's mainly because that's how I see the best scenario for the story. Since we've already been a "master" and a "veteran", the only thing left is to be a lowly padawan that is charged with saving the universe.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If we were just talking about a SW RPG, I would say start as a padawan.

However, if K3 wraps up the story we are in now, it would make more sense for the PC to be a "lone ranger" kind of Force Sensitive who learns from a variety of people.

It is my sincere hope that we never see another SW RPG in which your mentor is a passenger on your ship...no, YOU are the top dog on your ship.

If the story progresses to a point where you need more Force training, then you get a visitation from a Force Ghost and he tells you where to go to find your next mentor. I am also tired of being "bound" to someone. The Force Ghost device handles this job much better IMO and is much more consistent with the movies.

I would also say cut back on the number of people the PC can train but make that relationship more of a true Teacher/Padawan relationship.

If the story progresses to a point where you need more Force training, then you get a visitation from a Force Ghost and he tells you where to go to find your next mentor.  I am also tired of being "bound" to someone.  The Force Ghost device handles this job much better IMO and is much more consistent with the movies.

I strongly agree with you on that one... NO MORE FORCE BONDS!!!

I really hope they work on expanding the story more... include more planets/mre worlds... If KOTOR 3 will have twice as many more worlds than it would lead to a more extensive story..

You're a janitor... bumps into hooded master jedi... master feels great potential... training... master dies... AND YES... FORCE GHOSTS!!! etc.. etc...

i'd like to play solo but with two main characters.

first, Revan in the outer rim and beyound,

kinda very long 1-2 planet's time intro giving all the answers

about what happened to him there.

then the k3 story shall begin with me playing the k3 main character,

being revan or anybody else.

Well, another way would be starting out as some other class. Like Kotor 1, though having a choice whether to go Jedi or not.

This way it might be more interesting to players, giving more endings depending on your class and having specific missions for various class types.

Taking on Darth Evil (generic name) as a scoundrel might seem impossible, but that would depend on your skills, and characters in your party.

Here's a radical idea: start out as either a non-recognised Force Sensitive or a padawan (or from one to the next, like K1), but chose at the beginning of the game whether you are LS or DS.

That way, you can play apprentice to a Dark Master and play the Dark Path (maybe have the chance to be redeemed by some big badass Jedi later in the game) and also replay as a LS padawan (as usual).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Amen to that. The PC wasn't just born, surely they've done something in they're thirty or so years to warrant an alignment. And another thing, if I'm going to be grey, I want to be able to act grey. No more "do something good, do something bad, do something good, do something..." to balance my points.

sig2.gif

I would say being padawan is a good idea, but only if the master is an interesting character. I personally hated Kreia, and never took her with me when I could.

The best way for this system to work would be to allow your character to choose a master. Once could be a "by the book" master like Obi-Wan, another could be more "practical" like Kyle from Academy.

I would say being padawan is a good idea, but only if the master is an interesting character.  I personally hated Kreia, and never took her with me when I could.  ...

... and yet she still managed to but in with her irritating opinions, even when she was meant to be safely contained on the Ebon Hawk.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Here's a radical idea: start out as either a non-recognised Force Sensitive or a padawan (or from one to the next, like K1), but chose at the beginning of the game whether you are LS or DS.

Ooh, "Inflexible! Linear!" shout the magazine reviewers as they deduct points. I think the idea is good - it doesn't actually reduce your freedom in the game, but it does destroy some of the illusion of freedom that seems so important to some.

Unless you have the option to change your mind halfway through - a great dramatic 'life or death' decision thing. That would be great fun.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Ooh, "Inflexible! Linear!" shout the magazine reviewers as they deduct points. I think the idea is good - it doesn't actually reduce your freedom in the game, but it does destroy some of the illusion of freedom that seems so important to some.

Unless you have the option to change your mind halfway through - a great dramatic 'life or death' decision thing. That would be great fun.

Of course: redeemded / carry on to enslave the galaxy if starting DS, and fall / cheesey medal ceremony if starting LS.

Just have (at least) two seperate start points. Like Dragon Age.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think that if they do go the padawan-master route, it would be cool to have a plot like this-

After the "training planet" and the first real planet, you get a master to train you.

If you are LS, your master will be ls and you will save the galaxy together. (Or he will die and you will go on to save the galaxy alone and face his killer)

If you are DS, you will eventually become stronger than your ds master and in the end you will destroy him, take on an apprentice of your own (one of your crew members who is force sensitive. You will train them and then confront your master together.) This should mirror the LS "master death" late in the game- on LS you could take on a padawan. Your master's dieing words telling you that you are ready to train another (once again, a FS crew member)

They might also have some sort of neutral master if they want to add a third dimension to play, you're goal will be to bring stability to the core worlds.

You could keep the same planets and cities (with maybe a few alignment specific areas) but have different side quests, different crew members, and several different endings

And with all scenarios, they need a better romance tie-in! Maybe as DS, the force sensitive crew member could be the one you use to challenge your master with and train as an apprentice. Either way, you should have a lot of options.

As DS, since you have a master, it will allow for a more cool and calculating form of DS, like the kind we see in the movies. Less taking candy from small children, more manipulation and power-hungryness.

As LS, having a master will give it a very movie-like feel as well, and will add a little direction without making the game linear.

Just have it done in the dialogue tree. Someone finds out that you are studying the ways of the Force and they ask you about your Force philosophy. To which you reply:

A) "The Force is an energy field that encompasses all of life. It is through the Force that we learn, we grow, we love and we accomplish goodness for the betterment of all".

B) "The Force is a power that is not fully understood until one gives himself to the Dark Side for it is only in Dark Side that we truely understand the mysteries of the Universe. And the greatest teaching of all is that the strong shall rule the weak and that the weak deserve their fate".

C) "The Force is Balance. It is only in the pursuit of Balance that one can understand the higher mysteries of existence. Good and Evil....they must coexist.

To have one without the other is death."

D) "The Force is mystery. I do not pretend to know anything about the Force but I want to learn as much as I can."

And there we have it:

A = I want to be light side and have a Jedi Master!

B = I want to be dark side and have a Sith Master!

C = I want to be Neutral and have some sort of shaman teach me the path of Balance!

D = I don't know, at this point, which path I will take.

If you choose A, you will end up with LS mentors (could actually be more than one at different stages in the game). Your mentor is actually playable at some points and at others he is not. If you choose B, you learn from a Sith and ultimately challenge him for dominance. If you choose C or D, you end up learning from the likes of the Ithorian priest on Telos and you cannot take a prestige class.

If you choose D, you can get other triggers to change your path later.