'Hard to be a God' E3 2005 trailer

That wasn't a very good trailer, but the game looks interesting.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"Hard to be a God" Announced

Dec 3, 2004 @ 2:26pm

Author: David Radd

Summary: A game concept from the minds of the Strugatsky brothers, apparently some of the biggest names in Russian science fiction...

Full: Akella presents the long-awaited details on its internal project, the "Hard to be a God" RPG based on the novel of the same name by Strugatsky brothers.

The "Hard to be a God" game will be a thoroughbred role-playing game affirming all the best traditions of the genre. The storyline is non-linear presenting several story branches with 4 endings depending on the main character's in-game behavior.

The game utilizes a 3D-engine with free rotating camera. Wounds, weapons, armor and different equipment are shown on the characters' models.

One of the gameplay features is the interference of two epochs in the game universe - the medieval and the alternative future. This provides the peculiar variety of different weapons and armors - from swords and bows to miniguns, from full plates to force fields - and equipment like binoculars and night vision goggles at characters' disposal. The standard RPG equipment "doll" is amplified with slots for sword shoulder-belts and hidden weapon scabbards on wrists and arms.

The combat system features many different combos and special attacks (stunning, disarming, etc.) provided by some abilities and special weapon types. During a battle the character can be wounded badly which will diminish his attributes and require long recover, and even lose a limb or be decapitated by a strong attack of the opponent.

A player controls only the main character. The rest of the party is managed by orders. The volunteers traveling with the main character can obey or disobey orders depending on the form the order was given in (strict order, persuasion, intimidation, etc.), while the mercenaries will obey any order given in the proper form.

The Kingdom of Arkanar is divided into many locations. The party will travel between the locations using Arcanum-styled global map. The movement speed will be influenced with the world relief. The party can also ride mounts to move faster. The new locations can be revealed from dialogues with NPCs.

The trading mechanism features selling and buying items for different currencies (universal currency, irukanian gold and so on) or bartering them if both sides are satisfied with the offer.

One of the most prominent features of the game is of course the true spirit of the Strugatskys' novel. The game universe, the dark medieval atmosphere, the key figures from the novel, the Kingdom of Arkanar, - the whole world from the book is being carefully created anew under the supervision of one of its demiurges, Boris Natanovich Strugatsky.

The great variety of social strata typical to medieval age provides another game feature which can be called "the true role playing". Depending on a situation or an environment, a character can choose a role to play, pretending to be a noble man or a mere citizen or a member of some guild. This allows him to gain trust of NPCs with different alignments. A player can create several legends for each role of his character. The character will introduce himself with this legend to NPCs. If the truth behind the legend is revealed, the player can make up another legend reading books and talking to other NPCs.

The corrupted bureaucrats of Arkanar are easily bribed. This provides one more way of completing the game. For example if you need some papers to pass you may bribe the guard who demands the papers. A character can also buy the forged papers or make them by himself if he has proper skills.

Many gameplay elements and features are being discussed by the developers' team and Boris Natanovich Strugatsky now. The information on all new features and other details concerning the "Hard to be a God" game will follow in our future press-releases.

If they can pull it off without a buggy implementation, then it will be enormous.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Based on that description, it sounds really good.

If it's a Russian developer, does that mean it'll take forever to arrive over here in North America?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Based on that description, it sounds really good.

If it's a Russian developer, does that mean it'll take forever to arrive over here in North America?

Depends if they have a publisher or not. Most of the East European stuff fails on a technical level so getting overly exited isnt usually a good idea.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I was underwhelmed by the trailer, though I did like the music. :D

However, after reading the press release, the game seems interesting. Unfortunately, as ShadowPaladin said, the chance it will succeed or even come to the West is questionable. Then again, The Witcher did it, so who knows? I for one hope it does come. We haven't had many good RPGs in a long while.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I searched for the book this is based on through Amazon and found this review:

In "Hard To Be A God" the human race has reached higher stages of development and a relative harmony. Now they are dispatching "progressors" to help out the bachward planets. The scary thing is that when you read this book, you seem more familiar with the inhabitants of the poor planet than with the people from the future Earth. Terrans despise the actions and qualities of the planet inhabitants, but are unable to turn away; they have to be gods and gods have to be above emotions like hatred.

Basically, it seems to hinge on the precept: you shall not interfere.

P.S. Sorry for the double post.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

During a battle the character can be wounded badly which will diminish his attributes and require long recover, and even lose a limb or be decapitated by a strong attack of the opponent.

Hopefully this only happens in some instances of combat, and is not gradually happening with every hit that the character takes, otherwise it's going to make combat a really frustrating exercise.

Sounds very much like the plot from the fifteenth season of the Doctor's adventures: Underworld (Tom Baker as the Doctor), where the Minyans were a race that were "helped" by the Time Lords and regarded them as "Gods". Until they rebelled and attacked them, through the inevitable hatred this caused ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

In "Hard To Be A God" the human race has reached higher stages of development and a relative harmony. Now they are dispatching "progressors" to help out the bachward planets. The scary thing is that when you read this book, you seem more familiar with the inhabitants of the poor planet than with the people from the future Earth. Terrans despise the actions and qualities of the planet inhabitants, but are unable to turn away; they have to be gods and gods have to be above emotions like hatred.

Sadly I know a couple of people who work for the World Bank and have a similar outlook on developing countries. Colonialism casts a long shadow of self-delusion. I like games which try to explore big ideas, but it's always a risk. I wonder if they'll manage it.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Most of the East European stuff fails on a technical level so getting overly exited isnt usually a good idea.

This was my (brief) experience of 'I of the Dragon', lent by an Eastern European friend. Great idea, weak execution.

Still, maybe we'll learn more in future trailers/demos. The little dog company logo is very cute.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Basically, it seems to hinge on the precept: you shall not interfere.

P.S. Sorry for the double post.

Actually it is "you will practice subtle social engineering without ever revealing yourself". Small, discreet nudges here and there, save this one from certain death, impede that one's plans etc. Without ever killing anybody. Of course, that means that the progressors have to let certain distasteful things happen... and some of them don't posess sufficient emotional detachment for this and break emotionally.

It is a really great idea, but unfortunately the Strugatzky brothers didn't implement it very well. Instead of truly medieval society they have one similar to the 1930-ies Germany, complete with a Nazi coup. It doesn't help that the alternate Terran future is a communist one, either :p.

It is a really great idea, but unfortunately the Strugatzky brothers didn't implement it very well. Instead of truly medieval society they have one similar to the 1930-ies Germany, complete with a Nazi coup. It doesn't help that the alternate Terran future is a  communist one, either ;).

I disagree. 1930s Germany was a crucial turning point in global history. The interregnum in Europe had all the ingredients: extreme political views (Communism, Fascism, Totalitarianism), dire social circumstances (inflation meant that workers were paid every day, and the wheel-barrow load of notes were worthless, anyway), fear, mistrust, riteous anger, jealosy, ... you name it.

Having a setting with a Fascist coup and an alternate future with a Communist government gives the two extreme political doctrines a sharp focus; the audience can clearly compare and contrast the two doctrines and see the impact on the human spirit. Fun and educational. :cool:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I disagree. 1930s Germany was a crucial turning point in global history. The interregnum in Europe had all the ingredients: extreme political views (Communism, Fascism, Totalitarianism), dire social circumstances (inflation meant that workers were paid every day, and the wheel-barrow load of notes were worthless, anyway), fear, mistrust, riteous anger, jealosy, ... you name it.

True, but beside the point. The world of the novel is clearly a medieval world, with swords, crossbows, nobles, bad hygiene etc. That's why the Nazi coup is so out of place there. If it had been at a stage of developement similar to inter-war Germany, I wouldn't have had any complaints. As it was, it felt fake to me.

Having a setting with a Fascist coup and an alternate future with a Communist government gives the two extreme political doctrines a sharp focus; the audience can clearly compare and contrast the two doctrines and see the impact on the human spirit. Fun and educational. :cool:

It is a very idealized communist future future, though, where everybody has exciting (mostly intellectual) work, total freedom and all material posessions they want. So, it is more a beautiful dream than educational ;).

PS - I am a bit concerned about the potpurri of weapons from different epoques in the game. The essential points of the novel were that progressors acted covertly and that they didn't kill.

True, but from the articles I would assume it is your choice wether to follow that rule or not. Though I also get the impression combat will be raised in importance (though I haven't read the novel and am just going on what has been stated; I'll have to look into it). Overall I'm looking forward to the game, though the trailer didn't really impress me much.

You have to be careful with the Strugatsky brothers -- some of their works are Aesopian language at its finest and it is not always easy to figure out the meaning. Basically, just keep in mind that given the time and place where the novels were written, some elements simply had to be the way they are or the books would never be published. Many things in those books seem completely out of place if you don't consider this. For example, the future of Earth had to be some shade of communism. This doesn't really matter though since it's more a utopia that anything else. The constant references to Nazi Germany are similar (if you read it carefully, you'll see it's not just the coup). If you can, get a copy with a foreword by the editors or whomever (I've only seen one) -- pay attention to what they thought was the worthwhile part of this book.

That said, I am not sure how they intend to translate this world into a video game. A major part of the "progressor's" problem on that world is that they are extremely squeamish about killing. IIRC, that's part of how one of them gets caught -- he fought 100+ duels and never killed anyone. Even the ones that are not squeamish only kill when it's absolutely necessary. Given that RPGs generally involve slaughtering hundreds if not thousands of enemies, that doesn't really work.

I'd love it if they managed to get this right, but I have less hope for it than anything else related to video games.

True, but from the articles I would assume it is your choice wether to follow that rule or not.

I don't think so. In general, when the progressors started killing the way most RPGs implemented, they were considered insane (usually correctly) and were removed for treatment. The people in charge were none too happy with the idea of letting a killer with futuristic fighting techinques loose on a medieval world.

Anyone who adheres to a dream of communism should not ridicule me for believing in God.

As far as the game goes, it looks like I'll pass, but I'm always keeping my ear to the ground on these games. I don't like to let my first impression keep me from taking a second look. Of course, there are exceptions.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

True, but from the articles I would assume it is your choice wether to follow that rule or not.

I don't think so. In general, when the progressors started killing the way most RPGs implemented, they were considered insane (usually correctly) and were removed for treatment. The people in charge were none too happy with the idea of letting a killer with futuristic fighting techinques loose on a medieval world.

I haven't read any of the contributory novels, so I am flying blind here.

Assumption: these "Progressors" are backward time-travellers from the utopian communistic future into the pitiful fascist medi

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT