Obsidian why was the game generally too easy?

I have always been wondering that. In Kotor 2 the master speed + master flurry combo killed most enemies and bosses in one attack round!

I hadn't actually tried making a game where I don't level up master speed and flurry.

But still I ended up with Lightsabers that do 6-50 Damage (double bladed) along with Juyo form and master speed. I ended up doing 5 attack rounds a turn doing 200-300 damage in ONE round.

Which most enemies usually die from...

the question is why was KOTOR 2 a walk in the park compared to KOTOR? In every game for KOTOR you needed master speed and flurry to survive, without them you were pretty much dead meat. But in K2 all the enemies are extremely push overs, it never seem that their base health wasn't high enough to pose a threat.

In every game for KOTOR you needed master speed and flurry to survive, without them you were pretty much dead meat.

Personally, I didnt see much of a difference between the two difficulty-wise. I died once in the first because I was new to the game and just rushed in against the Mandalorian leader on Dantooine. After I figured out a strategy, I beat him handily. And I died not at all in the second game.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

... the question is why was KOTOR 2 a walk in the park compared to KOTOR? In every game for KOTOR you needed master speed and flurry to survive, without them you were pretty much dead meat. But in K2 all the enemies are extremely push overs, it never seem that their base health wasn't high enough to pose a threat.

The answer to your question is the totally skewed bonuses attributed to the PC due to level. By the time you reach level 20, you have +20 to hit before calculating str, dex & item bonuses.

I don't know for sure, but I also suspect that there was some sort of directive to increase the XP haul of the game to create PCs with larger levels by the M5 denouement. The XP seems to be ludicrously abundant for killing the stupidest enemies. (GOD:"Double the XP for all combat!"; OE: "That will unbalance the game, but okay...")

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

In every game for KOTOR you needed master speed and flurry to survive, without them you were pretty much dead meat.

Personally, I didnt see much of a difference between the two difficulty-wise. I died once in the first because I was new to the game and just rushed in against the Mandalorian leader on Dantooine. After I figured out a strategy, I beat him handily. And I died not at all in the second game.

Same here, in fact I didn't even get 'master speed' or 'master flurry' in either games, and I've completed both - easily - numerous times.

that part in telos where you fight against that 5 twins was hell for me... it took me a long time to win that part......

in kotor1 the only difficulty i had was with malak (at the beginning then it was so easy -> just kept on running) and that tournment, the last fight on taris......

that part in telos where you fight against that 5 twins was hell for me... it took me a long time to win that part......

in kotor1 the only difficulty i had was with malak (at the beginning then it was so easy -> just kept on running) and that tournment, the last fight on taris......

The only trouble I ever HAVe in the game is at the Czerka base on Telos with the two turrets. I usually end up getting like 15 mercs and those 2 turrets killing everyone besides the main PC.

I had no idea that master flurry and master speed were apowerful combo. I guess it is only common sense. I normally dont use those things for feats. Interesting I have beaten KOTOR 1 many times without using those. Also i am only on my second round of this one, i got bored the first time around and it took me many one hour a day days to finally beat this one the first time. i may have o try those combos sometime.

Your memory must be getting Foggy Alanschu. Kotor had many hardpoints throughout the game.

Kotor had what like 2? I have only came close to dieing near the Cerkza base on Telos and the flying sabers.

Don't tell me what I do or do not think was hard in the game.

What part of the game was hard? Because I never found any part of the game overly difficult. The "hardest" part of the game for me was beating Malak as a Consular, since it wasn't as goofy as just spamming Force Speed with Master Flurry and killing him in two rounds.

I don't even think KOTOR 2 had two hard points in the game....both games were exceptionally easy IMO.

Having said that, I didn't particularly care.....I still enjoyed both games. I wasn't playing them for challenging gameplay.

I would agree that KotOR 1 was more challenging, but the balance was way off. There were some tough moments on Taris that took me several tries (on Hard mode, of course), such as Bendak Starkiller, the people in the Black Vulkar basement, the Sith Governor, and Calo Nord + Davik. However, after you head to Dantooine, there are no tough battles for the rest of the game. A big problem is that after you complete one planet, all the others will be very easy because they are all designed to be possible to complete first. If the whole game had been at Taris difficulty, I would have been very pleased. However, the difficulty curve was backwards: the beginning was hard and the end was easy!

On the other hand, KotOR 2 had no challenging moments whatsoever. Maybe beating the first Jedi master without abusing (running around and sniping, using many mines, etc.), but that was it.

I suspect that Obsidian ran out of time and tweaking the challenge level of the game was last on the priority list. So fanboys can blame Lucas Arts. :-

One of the most significant things in KOTOR2 that makes it much easier than KOTOR1 is, for some stupid reason, enemy force-users in K2 NEVER, EVER use force powers. Okay, maybe Kreia uses a power or two in the final battle, and Nihilis uses a paralyze on you but that's totally scripted into the story line and you fail your save no matter what.

In K1 at least, Sith would toss a few force powers at you from time to time and buff themselves up, which made Force Breach and Force Immunity somewhat useful.

I gotta wonder why Obsidian did that. I mean, the AI was there they just chose not to use it. I guess they figured Sith actually using force powers against you would just make the game too hard. :lol:

I guess Obsidian had a few idea's to make some enemies in Kotor II tough, like the Sith captains on Freedon Nadd tombs which have about 800 vp. I always like to kill those captains, 8 Master flurries into them each time! Fun!

The Storm beasts on Malachor V are quiet tough. Try to kill one with the remote, only if you have lots of grenades left. Quiet Funny.

What isn't so great is that you sometimes have to have two party members. It can be quiet nice to try to do the game completly solo. Way more fun. I don't know if it compares to doing the Star Forge Solo though.

I remember some though opponents in the first game:

Vulkar gang

Brejik

Bendak Starkiller

Sherruk

Albino Kathhound

Sandpeople (especially when you do Tatooine first)

The Dark jedi were more tough in the first game, they actually use a lot of force powers.

The two Terentateks in Naga sadows tomb

Rancors and the Black Rakata

The Sith master in the temple.

All the Dark Jedi in the Star forge.

Darth Malak

But lets not forget the enemies you have to beat with some strategy:

the Rancor in the sewers

the Krayt Dragon

the Monster Firaxa shark

They forget to do this in Kotor II.

Master Vandar lives!

I had a lot of fun running around in Nar Shaddaa without any weapons. Since KotOR II has the Unarmed Combat feat it's rather cool to do Master Speed + Master Valor + Master Flurry and run into the middle of the Serroco group and just beat them to death.

I suspect that Obsidian ran out of time and tweaking the challenge level of the game was last on the priority list. So fanboys can blame Lucas Arts.  :thumbsup:

One of the most significant things in KOTOR2 that makes it much easier than KOTOR1 is, for some stupid reason, enemy force-users in K2 NEVER, EVER use force powers. Okay, maybe Kreia uses a power or two in the final battle, and Nihilis uses a paralyze on you but that's totally scripted into the story line and you fail your save no matter what.

In K1 at least, Sith would toss a few force powers at you from time to time and buff themselves up, which made Force Breach and Force Immunity somewhat useful.

I gotta wonder why Obsidian did that. I mean, the AI was there they just chose not to use it. I guess they figured Sith actually using force powers against you would just make the game too hard.  :p

Why does everyone blame Lucasarts. Obsidian had the choice to NOT release it.

All in all I thought Part 2 was harder then part 1 was but both were fairly easy.

In Part one I only had difficulty with Maloc

In Part two I had

Major difficulty with the 5 sisters in Telos Academy (even after learning their weaknesses it was still challenging)

Between major and normal difficulty with Master on Dant

Difficulty with Sion (choose wrong conversations first time through and fought him like 6 or 7 times, which does start to become a problem)

Difficulty in the temple on Dunx (first time through only)

Difficulty on yauht (first time through before getting PC in group)

All in all, gotta say I found part 2 more challenging then part 1.

Both had good stories though and thats the main focus for these games.

Still though, think KotOR games should have difficulty level like JE has.

JE was easier in every way than either KOTOR. I only had to reload twice, both at the final two colliseum battles (and the only reason I reloaded is because I wanted the bonus for winning undefeated).

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

JE was easier in every way than either KOTOR. I only had to reload twice, both at the final two colliseum battles (and the only reason I reloaded is because I wanted the bonus for winning undefeated).

LOL, I mean the Student, master, grand master difficulty choice.

Wasnt saying JE was harder, just KotOR should have the difficulty setting option like JE had.

I suspect that Obsidian ran out of time and tweaking the challenge level of the game was last on the priority list. So fanboys can blame Lucas Arts.  ;)

I gotta wonder why Obsidian did that. I mean, the AI was there they just chose not to use it. I guess they figured Sith actually using force powers against you would just make the game too hard.  :o

Why does everyone blame Lucasarts. Obsidian had the choice to NOT release it.

Because of the realities of publisher/developer relationships. Lucasarts owns the rights to the game.....and Obsidian was under contract to make it. Obsidian could not avoid releasing it if they wanted to.