Online gaming

Okay, I was going to make a new thread, but I'd like to hear some of the guru's convicne me why the MMORPG they play is the one I should buy.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Okay, I was going to make a new thread, but I'd like to hear some of the guru's convicne me why the MMORPG they play is the one I should buy.

There is no real convincing... you'd have to at least try it to be certain. Also, people tend to forget that MMOs can be quit at any time. What I mean is that some games are just not fun for months and months and months on end.

My suggestion for a newcomer would be World of Warcraft. Why do I find it so fun?

1) The PvP and combat in general is very quick and exciting. Some other games combat is dull and plain tiresome. If you like furious combat above all else you may want to check out City of Heroes.

2) You can get something done in a 30 minute session. If you havent played MMOs before this might not sound like a big deal but it is. Some games like EQ and FFXI take forever to get anything done because of all the work involved to get a group together.

3) WoW is semi-soloable. If you never group up with anybody, you can take on everything in the game EXCEPT Instanced Dungeons. Instances have enemies that are much tougher than their level equals outside. Think of it as a Heart of Fury mode.

4) The questing system is actually tolerable. Make no mistakes, every MMO has a very bland questing system similar to Fed-ex type quests. Some games don't even attempt to hide this such as Horizons with such exhilirating orders as "Kill 10 maggots." WoW on the other hand does two things to help allieviate the doldrums these quests usually bring about. First, they mostly give you the option of which reward you want when you turn in the quest. And second, Blizzard has dressed up the quests alot. The quest text is almost always worth reading. Some quests have things going on in the gameworld (quick example, there is this relatively minor quest you go on where the last leg of it you have to take this charged crystal and invade a small hideout of cultists. Once you take care of the cultists, there is this beautiful spinning crystalline orb which you then use your charged crystal to destroy it. The orb actually spins oddly then shatters with a cool sound effect. Might not sound like much but its really cool in-game.)

5) The entire presentation is very slick. By this I mean both graphics and sound. Some games technically look better than WoW, but WoW has heart and soul. There is both style and substance. Audio effects are top-notch and the music is awesome (I love the Thunder Bluff music).

Parting advice: try to download a trial or play at a friends house first. If not, see as many movies of the game as you can and try to discern if the game will be fun for you.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

Well, I personally recomend NOT getting a MMORPG. Why you ask? Well let's see.

1) Most of these online only games cost, what, about $14 a month. That's ontop of whatever internet you already have. (which has to be highspeed/broadband if you're considering a MMORPG)

2) Plus, I hear from lots of people on the fourms I go to that, are they fun? Sure. $14 fun? No. I even hear some people say that they suck.

3) Why would you want to pay $14 a month just to play one game when you can play tons of other online games for free?

If you ask me, it just doesn't make any sense to buy a MMORPG. You want Warcraft online, buy one of the Warcraft games and then play the online part for free. This is all just my opinon though, so it's really up to you if you want one or not.

Well to be fair, World of Warcraft is radically different than Warcraft online. Playing an RTS vs other people isn't near the same as playing an MMORPG.

As for which to recommend, they're all pretty much the same at their base.

Guild Wars is pretty cool in that it doesn't have a monthly fee. First impression I had was that it was a 3d version of Diablo 2. But the story (from what I've seen) is better, and I like the class system, also. Ultimately, though, it's a game about Guild vs Guild PvP, so if that's not what you're interested in, eventually it'll have no point.

As for it's quests, I've only found 2 that I couldn't complete with the in-game henchmen. One is Pre-searing, and ultimately not really important, and the other is one that gives a really nice chunk of XP, Post-searing (Althea's Ashes). But my two characters are levels 13 and 15, so I've not seen the whole game yet (level limit is 20).

IMO, Guild Wars is a much better game than EverQuest 2 (the only other recent MMORPG I've played), if only because I bought it and that's it. No more fees.

1) Most of these online only games cost, what, about $14 a month. That's ontop of whatever internet you already have. (which has to be highspeed/broadband if you're considering a MMORPG)

If money is a concern, then don't play. $15 dollars a month to me is perfectly reasonable for a fun game. In fact, if the game is fun enough you might save money . Every time I am involved in an online MMO I only purchase games that I know I want to play. Otherwise, I would spend more money to try out other new titles that just look interesting.

2) Plus, I hear from lots of people on the fourms I go to that, are they fun? Sure. $14 fun? No. I even hear some people say that they suck.

Do these same people keep punching themselves in the crotch to see if it is going to hurt the next time? If the game isn't fun, why play it? More importantly, why take seriously someone who is obviously confused. If you asked if a movie was good and the person replied "It sucks. Im going to see it again", what would you say to them?

3) Why would you want to pay $14 a month just to play one game when you can play tons of other online games for free?

Why play any new games when you can just play other games you have already purchased? Why go see a new movie or read a new book? I hope the answer is obvious.

If you ask me, it just doesn't make any sense to buy a MMORPG. You want Warcraft online, buy one of the Warcraft games and then play the online part for free. This is all just my opinon though, so it's really up to you if you want one or not.

I understand its your opinion, but it doesnt sound like you've played even one of the Warcraft games to make a comment like that. You might as well not play any new Star Wars games because you played the arcade game in 1986.

I tried City of Heroes at a friends request. It was actually quite fun and I played several characters past level 20 and one up to level 35. Unfortunately, my time completely dried up at that point. Afterwards, it wasn't as fun, so I ended my membership.

I'm more looking to see what good games I should try. I already know I'm ready to try another.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Have played them all Eldar.

Right now (for a new player) I would suggest WoW or wait for one of the numerous new MMORPGs being released in next 2 years.

NOW, me suggesting WoW doesnt mean its a good game, its not. However it is MMORPG on training wheels so if your new to MMORPGs, this will get your feet wet and give you a IDEA (only a idea, WoW only scratches the surface of what MMORPGs can do and be) of what to expect in MMORPGs.

I however would not suggest you try the older MMORPGs. In many cases the learning curve has passed new players by. Games like EQ, DAoC, EQ2 require aloit of time and effort and contacts. Since everyone already partaking in high end game there, making new contacts can be very hard and very challenging. If your not interested in playing WoW to get the bare basics down, then I would suggest you look at some of the upcoming MMORPGs out there and sign up for the alphas and betas if you can.

Dungeons and Dragons Online, Imperator, Warhammer, Vanguard, and others all have upcoming betas in next months to years. Just find which is first and give it a try when you can. As everyone starts at same level you can learn from more experienced players and form contact lists (or just join guilds).

Just keep in mind that the experience you will get will depend on WHO the game was designed for and what type of crowd it attracts. While WoW is great for a first time gamer online, dont assume the experience you get there will be the same as elsewhere. Most MMORPG out there do NOT target low Teens and Battlenet players as their subscription base and prefer older more mature players.

Think of it like WoW = Bugs Bunny, Other MMORPGs = Ren and Stimpy or The Simpsons.

Anouther easy learning curve game is City of Heros (if your into super heros and that sorta stuff).

Something to keep in mind, MMORPG players are FANATICALLY loyal to thew specific game they play, until they move to new game and then they are fanatically loyal to that game. So when someone tells you so and so game is the best, take it with a huge grain of salt. Case in point, a poster above mentioned Ashrons Call. Personally I didnt like the game, but AC at its highest point ever, never managed to stay in top 3 4,5 list for popularity unless it was the 3rd,4th,5th choice to be had (there was no other games available). Yet AC players to this day remain the most loyal (and vocal) you could find. Just as a example.

heh, and I really have tried them all :- Started 14 years ago in original NWN (on AOL) and been subscribing, alpha/beta testing them ever since.

If money is a concern, then don't play.  $15 dollars a month to me is perfectly reasonable for a fun game.

There is Guild Wars, completly free.

Do these same people keep punching themselves in the crotch to see if it is going to hurt the next time?  If the game isn't fun, why play it?  More importantly, why take seriously someone who is obviously confused.  If you asked if a movie was good and the person replied "It sucks.  Im going to see it again", what would you say to them?

That's not easy to know if its "sucks" or not, MMORPGs can "suck" since they make alterations all the time.

WoW honor system is relative new, SWG changed many things (such as Jedi characters) over tine.

Why play any new games when you can just play other games you have already purchased?  Why go see a new movie or read a new book?  I hope the answer is obvious.

MMORPGs end up with a very big slice of Online cRPG, the alterantives are few and they might not work too well.

That is a issue with the market, right now the main choices outside the paying MMORPG format are Guild Wars, NwN and Dungeon Siege.

... it doesnt sound like you've played even one of the Warcraft games to make a comment like that ...

True that WarCraft are RTS games and WoW "borrowed" from it, playing WoW and WarCraft 3 online are totaly diferent experiences.

drakron.png

If money is a concern, then don't play. $15 dollars a month to me is perfectly reasonable for a fun game. In fact, if the game is fun enough you might save money . Every time I am involved in an online MMO I only purchase games that I know I want to play. Otherwise, I would spend more money to try out other new titles that just look interesting.

Do these same people keep punching themselves in the crotch to see if it is going to hurt the next time? If the game isn't fun, why play it? More importantly, why take seriously someone who is obviously confused. If you asked if a movie was good and the person replied "It sucks. Im going to see it again", what would you say to them?

Why play any new games when you can just play other games you have already purchased? Why go see a new movie or read a new book? I hope the answer is obvious.

I understand its your opinion, but it doesnt sound like you've played even one of the Warcraft games to make a comment like that. You might as well not play any new Star Wars games because you played the arcade game in 1986.

I've played Warcraft 3 actually and I have to say, it seemed pretty much like Age of Empires except mytholygical (sp?) like. I enjoyed it quiet a bit though despite it's similarity to AOE. Granted, I never played the online portion of it but it seemed like it might be good.

Also, where did I say that those people who said that MMORPG sucked keep playing them? And also, money isn't a huge concern. It's just, when I play on Xbox Live I know I'm paying $50 a year to play tons of games online plus the ability to talk PLUS download content.

MMORPG you pay way more a year to play just one game that doesn't have talking but does have download content. If you ask me, I'd just feel like I was ripped off compared to what I get for Live. Although not many MMORPG interest me anyway. The only ones I'd want are WoW and Star Wars Galaxies.(although I hear the Star Wars one was a HUGE disapointment)

If WoW lets you try a free trial of it then sure, I might do that sometime but I doubt I'm going to want to spend $14 a month for one game. That's just me though.

WarCraft predates Ages of Empires, its goes way back to floppy days (or close enough) being one of the first RTS games and its interface is pretty much used by most RTS even today.

Before it there was Dune, the first RTS game.

Be careful, there is a reason why its WarCraft 3 and why Ages of Empires is still at 2, one very much predates the other and one heavly borrowed concepts of the other.

drakron.png

I've played Warcraft 3 actually and I have to say, it seemed pretty much like Age of Empires except mytholygical (sp?) like. I enjoyed it quiet a bit though despite it's similarity to AOE. Granted, I never played the online portion of it but it seemed like it might be good.

The online portion is insignifigant to my point. The games are 100% different. As different a game as Rogue Squadron is to KOTOR.

Also, where did I say that those people who said that MMORPG sucked keep playing them? And also, money isn't a huge concern. It's just, when I play on Xbox Live I know I'm paying $50 a year to play tons of games online plus the ability to talk PLUS download content.

That is true. But the tons of games you have to buy to play on Live, correct? Part of my point was that a good online game can actually cost less because you don't buy new games to play.

MMORPG you pay way more a year to play just one game that doesn't have talking but does have download content. If you ask me, I'd just feel like I was ripped off compared to what I get for Live. Although not many MMORPG interest me anyway. The only ones I'd want are WoW and Star Wars Galaxies.(although I hear the Star Wars one was a HUGE disapointment)

Cost per year depends on how many games you buy. Say if you buy only one new game per month to play on Live. $50 for new game multiplied by 12.. That is $600/year minus Live subscription. Compare that to $50 for WoW new + $180/year WoW subscription + $300 for a new Xbox game every other month = $530/year minus Live subscription.

If WoW lets you try a free trial of it then sure, I might do that sometime but I doubt I'm going to want to spend $14 a month for one game. That's just me though.

I hear you on that. To be honest, I wouldn't have bought WoW day one had I not been in the beta (learned my lesson from Galaxies). Since I was in beta though, I had a good idea how well the game played. If the game ever does come with a trial, give it a whirl.

There is Guild Wars, completly free.

And yes, there is always Guild Wars which I hear is fantastic. I still need to pick it up. It seems to have what I look for in an online game.

The problem with Guild Wars, from what I've heard, is that it's geared towards the PvP crowd. I'd rather have something in which to act cooperatively. I don't really have the energy to go heavy PvP. I've done it, but I would probably just grab a good FPS if that were my goal.

I'd rather do co-op PvE rather than PvP. I certainly have no use right now for a game completely premised on PvP.

My biggest beef with PvP is that, to be competetive at all, you must dedicate a lot of time to the game. Either you suck or you practice as part of a clan essentially every day. I don't have time for that anymore. I haven't for years.

Obsidian Plays

The problem with Guild Wars, from what I've heard, is that it's geared towards the PvP crowd.  I'd rather have something in which to act cooperatively.  I don't really have the energy to go heavy PvP.  I've done it, but I would probably just grab a good FPS if that were my goal.

I'd rather do co-op PvE rather than PvP.  I certainly have no use right now for a game completely premised on PvP.

My biggest beef with PvP is that, to be competetive at all, you must dedicate a lot of time to the game.  Either you suck or you practice as part of a clan essentially every day.  I don't have time for that anymore.  I haven't for years.

Elder, diffinately check out Dungeons and Dragons Online.

Alpha application opened right now for folks (or was) and is group orientated PvE game coming soon :blink: DDO.com is the website I believe.

Also due out in 2006 is Imperator. No alpha/beta app at this moment but should be taking applications with in the next 6 months Id guess. Just head over to Mythic.com to find that games web site.

My biggest beef with PvP is that, to be competetive at all, you must dedicate a lot of time to the game.  Either you suck or you practice as part of a clan essentially every day.  I don't have time for that anymore.  I haven't for years.

Yeah, indeed. For me, my current abstention from MMORPGs in general is premised on my formerly having been actively part of that kind of daily dedicated guild-focused MMORPGing culture (hitting my height of play in DAOC's first two years, though also having played EQ, AC1, AC2, SWG and others) and my not being willing to dedicate that much time again at present.

But my rejection of the alternative, casual play, is also premised on that same experience: any MMORPGing that doesn't have a strong guild/clan focus, that doesn't have an active, meaningful social dynamic just bores me, because it pales pathetically in comparison to the depth of the experience one gets from playing an intense game amongst a dedicated, socially rich, cooperative PvP-focused bunch of people who know what they're doing, do it well, and care about and know (whether through love or hate) their friends and enemies in the gameworld.

Very nice, Kalfear. I'm going to keep an eye out for Dungeons and Dragons online. www.ddo.com is the official website, and it looks like it's coming right along. I'm going to take the wait and see approach, of course, but what I've seen so far gives me hope.

I think I will also look to see if there's some sort of trial version of WoW just to give it a shot.

Obsidian Plays

But my rejection of the alternative, casual play, is also premised on that same experience: any MMORPGing that doesn't have a strong guild/clan focus, that doesn't have an active, meaningful social dynamic just bores me, because it pales pathetically in comparison to the depth of the experience one gets from playing an intense game amongst a dedicated, socially rich, cooperative PvP-focused bunch of people who know what they're doing, do it well, and care about and know (whether through love or hate) there friends and enemies in that world.

This was really my experience from RtCW. It was a team based game where I developed a certain level of trust and loyalty to the group. It's an either/or propostion. Either the player jumps in and pull his weight or he is dead weight.

Obsidian Plays

That is true.  But the tons of games you have to buy to play on Live, correct?  Part of my point was that a good online game can actually cost less because you don't buy new games to play.

Cost per year depends on how many games you buy.  Say if you buy only one new game per month to play on Live.  $50 for new game multiplied by 12.. That is $600/year minus Live subscription.  Compare that to $50 for WoW new + $180/year WoW subscription + $300 for a new Xbox game every other month = $530/year minus Live subscription.

Actually, I rarely buy new games a lot. In fact, the only new games I've gotten for Live after starting my subscription (which was X-mas) were gifts.

The problem with Guild Wars, from what I've heard, is that it's geared towards the PvP crowd.

Its not, it guild (co-operative) oriented and GvG is a part of guilds but not even a absolute requirement for a guild hall.

I'd rather have something in which to act cooperatively.  I don't really have the energy to go heavy PvP.  I've done it, but I would probably just grab a good FPS if that were my goal.

Guild Wars is quest based and even at pre-searing you need a player to get the ressurection signet and to complete a quest (since one have to open a gate).

In fact many people complain that Guild Wars is very co-operative oriented and even with henchmans its best to get other people to join to complete quests that are what gives most XP.

Also many skills have to be captured from enemies, there are no trainers for then so people end up playing "PvE" to unlock then for their PvP characters.

I'd rather do co-op PvE rather than PvP.  I certainly have no use right now for a game completely premised on PvP.

Its not PvP, there are only a area were people can go PvP, the Arena.

Even GvG were recently changed so its not as easy to start a GvG (people were screwing up ranks by starting then without the Guild Leader and Guild Officers permision).

Also there are the missions that can be replayed that are geared towards co-op.

Yes, even if GW allows to start a lv20 character off the bat its requires training.

But still the "meat" of the game appears to be PvE and I very much enjoy the "storytelling" basic behind the game ... how many MMORPGs give players voice acting on the in game cinematics?

drakron.png

"The problem with Guild Wars, from what I've heard, is that it's geared towards the PvP crowd. I'd rather have something in which to act cooperatively. I don't really have the energy to go heavy PvP. I've done it, but I would probably just grab a good FPS if that were my goal."

Nope. Like Drakron said, it's party based vs. monsters mostly. I've spent 90% of my time doing that and not fighting other players. And, the story mode is pretty decent at that...

D&D Online looks silly. Doesn't even have all the races and classes last I checked amongst ohter things. Not impressed with that along with the pay per month thing which means no go automatically for me.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I could have sworn I heard it was PvP mostly. That makes it a new ballgame, as both WoW and Gild Wars have come highly recommended.

Obsidian Plays

It can be. It's up the player. If you want to spend your time fighting other players you can. If you want to spend your time temaing up with players against monsters in story mode; you can. i prefer that myself; though I have toa dmit as far as PvP goes; GW is fun as you can only attack other players in prearranged tournaments and contests. There is no such thing as PKing...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.