High Res patch...

Any chance we could get this thread back on track? Has anyone heard anything new from Obsidian or Lucasarts about the movie patch? Ive given up waiting and have started going through the game a 2nd time as a dark side chick and im noticing that a lot of the movies seem to have a wierd coloring problem where half the movie is in grayscale or something.

Come on obsidian! Threaten them with Indian rug burns if they dont quit screwing over your customers!

His second post is more in adherence to the grammatical structure of English language than his fist post. That is not improving his use of language?

No, it's a grammatical improvement. I would define ones use of language as the choice of words you use for decribing your views. And I don't see a big difference between his 1st and 2nd post in terms of his usage of words, only a grammatical improvement. It's not like he went from caveman to philosopher. :thumbsup:

Why shouldn't I? I see a post that doesn't seem to fit with the image I have of someone's posting style, and I know an easy way to check out if it actually is consistant with the said person's posting style. Hell, it probably took me longer to write this post than it took for me to check out his posts.

Well, I'm not questioning wether or not it took you a few seconds to check out his previous posts... it's why in the world would you care! What was the purpose of saying that to him?! Being malevolent?

Heh, it's been so long now that i've totally forgotten about the high-res movie/soundtrack patch.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Heh, it's been so long now that i've totally forgotten about the high-res movie/soundtrack patch.

I did, as well.

Maybe that was the goal?

I do wonder if Obsidian will step up their support for NWN2. They'll so absolutely be compared to Bioware again, and their short track record for post-release support (or at least communication) isn't really much to brag about.

This is really getting ridiculous.

Why did Obsidian say that patch would be out in a few days if they knew it would take LA forever to "QA" it.

Honestly makes me sick... I'm still waiting on my new playthrough for this. =/

OOh I bet in the patch release notes they will have somehting to this effect:

Trouble shooting...

I am having trouble telling the difference between the origional videos and these new Hi-*coughBS*-res videos, is there any way I can check to make sure they installed correctly?

Please contact your local eye care proffessional, because only with perfect eyesight would you be able to detect the minimal difference this update makes

I am having extreme performance issues (i.e. laaaag, or slowdowns) now that I have installed the new soundtrack patch, what can/should I do to resolve this?

Please exit the game and open the SWKotOR2 Config. Utility and place a check mark next to 'Disable sound,' you may also need to do the same with the 'Disable Movies' option.

heh, I wouldn't be surprised lol...

Just had a horrible thought.

Hi-Res music/video quality patch has probably been silently pulled due to committments with Microsoft over the Xbox deal.

MS desperately wants the XBox to continue to be seen as a premier gaming platform, or at the very least, the equal of a PC.

It just simply would not do for the PC to have a superior video/sound game solution over the XBox, since the XBox drive for this game was obviously so powerful. Heck, it would seem that the XBox pre-Christmas drive is most of the reason for why the game wasn't properly beta-tested in the first place.

So what's the bet that the patch has been silently canned after a visit to LA by some XBox reps from MS?

That's my conspiracy theory anyway. If it were true, LA would certainly never reveal the truth of it. In fact, they're probably busy spanking the butt of someone at Obsidian for letting the cat half out of the bag already so to speak, over something that they perhaps cannot legally commit to due to XBox agreements.

Just a thought....

High res movies would be wasted on a normal TV regardless of the gaming system involved. I doubt that's the reason.

I'm chalking the delay up to laziness and lack of responsibility on the part of LucasArts.

High res movies would be wasted on a normal TV regardless of the gaming system involved. I doubt that's the reason.

I think you mistook the intent of the post. Hi-res movies and Hi-quality sound would make the PC game superior to the XBox game....

How is it Rockstar Games can make a game for PS2 and turn around and make it look better on PC? But Obsidian made a game for Xbox and cant make it better for PC?

KOTOR 2 was a good game. But it could have been much better in the whole sound and video quality. Im not even going to start on content. I think Obsidian did a good job. But there is no reason that the PC version should not be superior than the Xbox versions in every way.

How is it Rockstar Games can make a game for PS2 and turn around and make it look better on PC? But Obsidian made a game for Xbox and cant make it better for PC?

KOTOR 2 was a good game. But it could have been much better in the whole sound and  video quality. Im not even going to start on  content. I think Obsidian did a good job. But there is no reason that the PC version should not be superior than the Xbox versions in every way.

lol, did you play gta3 on pc when it came out? It had lots of performance issues. (as well as buggs GALORE) Esspecially with kotor1&2 being rpg's there are so many more things that can go wrong. gta's are pretty much just one big map, k1&2 are tons of small maps and each one will have it's own separate issues. the ps2 isn't quite as powerfull as the xbox, plus kotor is atleast a year forward in technology, so intel onboard 4mb chips aint gonna play it. gta was d3d pretty sure, k is ogl, and ogl is going to create way more problems. rockstar probably cared more and didn't have LA breathing down their necks.

All I can say, from personal opinion, is that they did the best they could with the time that was allowed. Yes, I saw what was coming a mile, or two away, did that help? No. The game looks amazing on my PC, and I'd never play it on xbox over my PC, no thanks.

lol, did you play gta3 on pc when it came out? It had lots of performance issues. (as well as buggs GALORE) Esspecially with kotor1&2 being rpg's there are so many more things that can go wrong.  gta's are pretty much just one big map, k1&2 are tons of small maps and each one will have it's own separate issues. the ps2 isn't quite as powerfull as the xbox, plus kotor is atleast a year forward in technology, so intel onboard 4mb chips aint gonna play it. gta was d3d pretty sure, k is ogl, and ogl is going to create way more problems. rockstar probably cared more and didn't have LA breathing down their necks.

All I can say, from personal opinion, is that they did the best they could with the time that was allowed. Yes, I saw what was coming a mile, or two away, did that help? No. The game looks amazing on my PC, and I'd never play it on xbox over my PC, no thanks.

i was more referring to Vice City not GTA3. And San Andreas coming out next week. From what ive read Rockstar used high def textures and models etc and than lowered everything for PS2 and Xbox.

I am not and never will be a console jockey. PC all the way.

And like i said I like KOTOR 2. Since KOTOR was done by Bioware and not Obsidian I dont refer to that in this post. Now that I see another PC game is in the works from Lucas, im sure KOTOR 2 will be a long way from getting the green flag on the latest corrections.

I also second that the game looks great on my PC. Except for the movies which looked much better in Biowars KOTOR. I also have the stupid gamma problem of owning an ATI card. But that is whole seperate issue :-

I think you mistook the intent of the post.  Hi-res movies and Hi-quality sound would make the PC game superior to the XBox game....

Well, if you play the game in 1024*768 with graphics and sound details maxed and a bit of Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering, the PC version is already superior to the XBox one. Since the gameplay of the KotOR was thought for the PC, you can't even say the XBox version could have matched the PC version. This conspiracy theory is quite stupid in my opinion.

Anyway, I think the content patch will be available near the middle of June, two months after the 1.0b which was released two months after the PC game release...

A word of advice ... please try to remain civil and post with respect for one another ... disagree with the argument not the person ... my lecture here is now at an end ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

A word of advice ... please try to remain civil and post with respect for one another ... disagree with the argument not the person ... my lecture here is now at an end ...

We get a reminder of behaviour but no word on the progress of the patch that was due "in a couple of days" ... :thumbsup:

I see no problem with the PC patch for the higher res FMV, the resolution of the monitor is already superior to the tv (even at 800x600).

It is just a due-diligence workflow thing. Maybe they have bundled a couple of extra bug fixes in the patch, as well?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The reason is that LucasArts wants it to die. The game has been out for 3 months now. It's old news. There is almost no long-term give-a-**** in our industry. They make a buck and quick move on, with some short term support. It makes a lot of sense from the business standpoint, and it has been a long time since the developers ran things and not the fools with the Bachelors in Business Administration degrees.

This is why you DO NOT buy a game upon release. You find a way to check it out beforehand. Otherwise you are completely out of luck if it turns out to be a mess, and you donated to a company that knowingly sold near trash.

And, better yet, we can't trust most game reviewers cuz all those fools give 90% of games 80% scores or higher. KOTOR2 may have a good story but it's so damn messed up it should have received a 50% with the bugs and f-ed up later-half factored in. But guess what happens if LucasArts sees a review tear up their money-maker? Well, that guy ain't gonna be getting his prerelease review copies or promotional posters, or free Lucasarts trip next time.

You know what? I'd almost go so far as to say that a lower review score TODAY means a better game. Why? Cuz those games are often far more complex and take more thought, and have more depth. More things to go wrong or cause the half-wit reviewer to make a dumb design decision opinion statement. Why does Half Life 2 deserve 92% at Gamespot? You got me! It's a friggin straight-line course game with some seriously generic gameplay and a few tweaks to impress the jocks. Whatever. :)