Stop the whole Exile + Raven fighting the Sith.

I agree, "hidden past" has played its role. I say they should go for "insignificant past". And the focus should be on the new PC's future.

I do, however, like a bit of "customizable past". In Arcanum, for instance, you can choose various pasts such as "raised by wolves" or "joined the circus", etc.

I like the idea of having a list in dialogue like this:

"I'm from Tatooine and my dad is a moisture farmer"

"I'm from Onderon and my (late) dad was a senator"

etc, etc

and for this to have some bearing on how the story progresses...that would be cool.

Yeah, and stuff like that ain't hard to implement either. It's just as easy to write dialogue for that kindda stuff as it is to write dialogue for male/female or charachter name.

I wonder why it isn't done more often? Everybody loves character customization, so lets have more sutomization!

I agree. I think the main reason why this sort of customisation is not done is because the whole process is skimped on; no real effort is invested in the main point of the game. I quite often take upwards of an hour deciding on the exact attributes of a PC in NwN, for example, and there are only a few options to choose from (class, skills, physical appearance, etc )

I've just never understood why character creation in games are so limited, especially in the new CRPG games, what with every cinematic featuring the PC being a cutscene anyways. I would like a fullfilling character customization, bringing me through 2-3 pages only containing senseless babble that define my character... And I'd like to be able to customize more looks also, you know, hair color, stuff like that. Ah heck, I'm dreaming...

I've just never understood why character creation in games are so limited, especially in the new CRPG games, what with every cinematic featuring the PC being a cutscene anyways. I would like a fullfilling character customization, bringing me through 2-3 pages only containing senseless babble that define my character... And I'd like to be able to customize more looks also, you know, hair color, stuff like that. Ah heck, I'm dreaming...

I want this badly also. I must admit I expected alot more from TSL, character customation-wise. <_<

Another idea could be starting as a child, and becoming a padawan, growing up, kind of like an Ocarina of Time thing. Just throwing an idea out.

*ding* *ding* *ding*

The winnah!

I'd much prefer to have a game where you start off as a young Padawan, and learn about the force and whatnot. Construct your own lightsaber, and take on the role of a Padawan to a master. Have real significant choices for your darkside/lightside crap. Have a guy kill your master and the way you deal with it determines your destiny. But still allow for redemption/fall. I played through as a predominantly light side Jedi as Revan in KOTOR 1, since I was trying to always do the right thing. But while on Korriban, I knew I had to embrace the Sith ways to keep my cover...upon learning about them, I figured it'd be good to learn about these teachings to further my understanding about the Force. Little did I know it would dominate my destiny! Soon I was betraying my friends, and exploiting people. No one would stand in my way!

I had waaaaaay more fun playing the game that way than I ever did being all the way lightside or all the way darkside. I didn't get my darkside mastery bonus until I was on the planet and conviced Bastila to join me...which seemed just perfect!

Another idea could be starting as a child, and becoming a padawan, growing up, kind of like an Ocarina of Time thing. Just throwing an idea out.

*ding* *ding* *ding*

The winnah!

I'd much prefer to have a game where you start off as a young Padawan, and learn about the force and whatnot. Construct your own lightsaber, and take on the role of a Padawan to a master. Have real significant choices for your darkside/lightside crap. Have a guy kill your master and the way you deal with it determines your destiny. But still allow for redemption/fall. I played through as a predominantly light side Jedi as Revan in KOTOR 1, since I was trying to always do the right thing. But while on Korriban, I knew I had to embrace the Sith ways to keep my cover...upon learning about them, I figured it'd be good to learn about these teachings to further my understanding about the Force. Little did I know it would dominate my destiny! Soon I was betraying my friends, and exploiting people. No one would stand in my way!

I had waaaaaay more fun playing the game that way than I ever did being all the way lightside or all the way darkside. I didn't get my darkside mastery bonus until I was on the planet and conviced Bastila to join me...which seemed just perfect!

There are easy ways to screw that idea up. What if a developer choose that a "young" padawan wasn't a 15 yearold, rather they make it so your character is 12 and you end up doing stupid puzzles for 5 hours till you get to see some real action.

All I ask for is a game where you're a padawan, with a jedi master. With enemies that are not push overs (K2 cough).

... I'd much prefer to have a game where you start off as a young Padawan, and learn about the force and whatnot. Construct your own lightsaber, and take on the role of a Padawan to a master. Have real significant choices for your darkside/lightside crap. Have a guy kill your master and the way you deal with it determines your destiny. But still allow for redemption/fall. ...

There are easy ways to screw that idea up. What if a developer choose that a "young" padawan wasn't a 15 yearold, rather they make it so your character is 12 and you end up doing stupid puzzles for 5 hours till you get to see some real action.

All I ask for is a game where you're a padawan, with a jedi master. With enemies that are not push overs (K2 cough).

I'm not entirely sure what you're worried about ... are you looking for:

1. more character depth and role-play opportunities, or

2. a game with more and tougher opponents to kill?

1. Is quite possible with a young padawan, although I worry about your "stupid puzzle" comments; does this mean you don't want puzzles because they are "stupid", or you don't want puzzles that are stupid?

2. This is just a FPS with Jedi robes, isn't it? More Republican Commando than a RPG.

I would like to see more tasks like the murder investigation in K1. :wub:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Revan and the exile will have to play a prominent role because it has to go along with continuity

I mean they created the exile now there stuck with it

plus the bigger badder sith is already written into the main story in the days of jacen solo fighting the yuuzhan vhonng they are the bigger badder sith

most people didn't know that but thats what happens in most of the novels. :shifty:

Why do they have to go along with continuity? Is there some rule or over bearing force that is keeping them from making a new story line? If by "they" you mean Obsidian how do we even know that they are even creating the next game? And have you ever thought that Obsidian ended the game in the correct way. Granted that they didi mess up the ending a little I think it was the best way to end the story line. But you are right that they are "stuck with it" and that is why there needs to be another story line.

... I'd much prefer to have a game where you start off as a young Padawan, and learn about the force and whatnot. Construct your own lightsaber, and take on the role of a Padawan to a master. Have real significant choices for your darkside/lightside crap. Have a guy kill your master and the way you deal with it determines your destiny. But still allow for redemption/fall. ...

I'm not entirely sure what you're worried about ... are you looking for:

1. more character depth and role-play opportunities, or

2. a game with more and tougher opponents to kill?

1. Is quite possible with a young padawan, although I worry about your "stupid puzzle" comments; does this mean you don't want puzzles because they are "stupid", or you don't want puzzles that are stupid?

2. This is just a FPS with Jedi robes, isn't it? More Republican Commando than a RPG.

I would like to see more tasks like the murder investigation in K1. :thumbsup:

Hmmmm. A first person shooter with Jedi Robes. That sounds like a good idea! We need to tell a develper about this!!! (w00t)

Listen phantom I was referring to lucasarts and to create a new story they would have to rewrite all the original movies or just exclude this game from them alltogether but then it wouldn't be a starwars game

the books and novels clearly state when a jedi goes to the yuuzhann vhonng planet after the jedi civil war

but I mean to can the kotor story would be sad for me the game was so good the first time I played it jeez secon third fourth and so on also the story was good in the second one

but bad decisions were made as far as gameplay elements went

for instance one thing that aggravated the hell out of was bein level 50 and becoming god like once you got to level thirty there was no challenge at all

I think Obsidian had some good ideas but didnt know how to present them properly

hmmm. maybe a trio of lucas, bioware, and obsidian would definately bring

something interesting

PS: why does everyone hate revan and the exile I mean Jeez I need some frigin closure here I didn't put all those hours in for a thrown out story I would like to see at least six games i mean maybe next one flegling jedi destined to stabilize the republic 4; exile continues his search; six this one should be real long start out as the exile stop that story, start revans story {notice I didnt say final}

*ding* *ding* *ding*

The winnah!

Of course anyone can take an idea, no matter how good it is, and turn it into utter crap. If they were to have you doing stupid puzzles for 5 hours, then it'd be a design flaw.

It's not what I wanted. If all you're looking for is a game where you're a padawan with a master, give Jedi Academy a try.

PS: why does everyone hate revan and the exile I mean Jeez I need some frigin closure here I didn't put all those hours in for a thrown out story I would like to see at least six games i mean maybe next one flegling jedi destined to stabilize the republic 4; exile continues his search; six this one should be real long start out as the exile stop that story, start revans story {notice I didnt say final}

It's not that I hate Revan and the Exile. I hate boring gameplay of excessively high levels where you fight "unique" and "rare" badguys by the dozen. It makes the "unique" and "rare" bad guys less unique and rare, and just gets old. If they can find a way to have a new game that still follows the same story line of Revan and the Exile, then great. I certainly don't need it.

I would have preferred to have some large games where I only gained some levels and have a sequel directly carry on, ala Baldur's Gate. That way the story isn't so exaggerated and still falls neatly into the realm of relatability. I want to have an emotional connection with characters that are interesting and not superpowered.

There are just as many ways to make it work. Stop being so critical of others' (good) ideas

It would not be Kotor with out Revan any way in my opinion.Revan better be in Kotor III because thats what made Kotor popular and we have the ex-sith to thank-Revan.

I don't care if the exile dies in kotor III because its not really the exiles story,but I do care if Revan is killed, it is Revans story because Revan is the true hero-not the exile.so in my opinion I think the exile should be killed off in Kotor III and not Revan.

my male Revan :wub:

It would not be Kotor with out Revan any way in my opinion.Revan better be in Kotor III because thats what made Kotor popular and we have the ex-sith to thank-Revan.

I suppose.

I appreciated KOTOR for it's fun story...the character could have been alibashaselrkjv and I would've enjoyed it :wub:

Having said this, I'm pretty sure it's the comments like this that caused the game to go against what Daniel would have wanted in the game. He was upset that Obsidian dictated what Revan's actions were, even if that's not what Revan would have wanted.

I never really understood the love affair everyone has with Revan. I guess it's because he was the first character they played in KOTOR, so he's the one that all others will be compared with.

Meh.

I don't care if the exile dies in kotor III because its not really the exiles story,but I do care if Revan is killed, it is Revans story because Revan is the true hero-not the exile.so in my opinion I think the exile should be killed off in Kotor III and not Revan.

my male Revan :wub:

Theres no need for that i think.

What i think is going to happen, as the Exiles power was tied to Malachor V, then when he destroy's it (or the remote/G0T0), then he loses his connection to the force again, he is still deafened.

That would tie off the exiles story and leave Revan open again. But i am also sceptical that my own idea will happen as that would mean the events of the last game were practically pointless?

But i am also sceptical that my own idea will happen as that would mean the events of the last game were practically pointless?

I have a feeling that all our ideas about K3, all 1000000000 of them will all be in vain, because in the end, K3 story will be something so different that we never thought and dreamed of, and I seriously hope that that "suprise" will be a pleasant one. :wub:

I know most people want Revan and Exile in the sequeal (like my self) but noramlly what everyone wants usually turns out to be a completely different story altogether....

I can say that all the fans of kotor series etc will scream for the previous characters in the future possible game of kotor 3 but I would'nt be surprised if the company who might make kotor 3 won't bother listening to the fans and make a Revan and exile free story....

maybe maybe not I dont know..

They just need to finish Revan & Exile story. There is no need to even show them in the game. Just mention through other characters.

You should definately not play as one of them, it would be really stupid. Their characters are already established there is nothing more to discover.

One more point...

Never does it say that the true sith is a race of creatures with a giantic fleet ready to overtake the republic.

Infact Kreia says sith is a belief and that true sith empire rules elsewhere. What kind of empire and who does it rule is never mentioned. Maybe they are just true believers and not a separate race.

Maybe it is an empire of knowledge and technolgy that lies there waiting for someone to claim it and use it in a 'great war to come', like the rakata (who were also an empire) starforge. And Revan went in the hopes of discovering its secrets and got lost on the way.

Which is preferable since I really dont want some alien race with no connection to the republic to suddenly come out of nowhere and atack. I much prefer an internal strugle, it is better for rpg.

Kreia is cryptic enougth to interprit things in many ways.

my male Revan :(

Its as much the exile's story as it is Revan's. The overall story arch of the series is of "two contrasting characters, war veterans, shaped by the horrors of their shared past (the mandalorian wars i.e Vietnam in space) both separated, but bound by the force and their converging fates".

I'm not opposed to a total restart of the series, but should Revan have an important role to play in KOTOR3 then so should the exile. He is as much a part of the story arc as Revan, whether you like it or not.

Besides, TSL gave us an opportunity to make him a much more complex character than we ever could with Revan.

All I can say is, that the story of Revan is far from complete, and anyone who says otherwise should play the games again...all of the mystery behind revan's dissapearance into unknown space is far from comp;ete, and in my opinion, for me at least, the ultimate KOTOR 3 experience would to be able to play as revan.

i do think we should have a new ally of Revan from the Jedi Civil War before he join the jedi.

Darth Seviol: a Beautiful yet deadly Sith Witch/Assasin. Also she is a Catherine Zeta-Jone look like.

Darth Nilihus: Returns as a Force Spectral Vampire. We get to know more about his past.

But i am also sceptical that my own idea will happen as that would mean the events of the last game were practically pointless?

I have a feeling that all our ideas about K3, all 1000000000 of them will all be in vain, because in the end, K3 story will be something so different that we never thought and dreamed of, and I seriously hope that that "suprise" will be a pleasant one. :)

I hope so.

They just need to finish Revan & Exile story. There is no need to even show them in the game. Just mention through other characters.

You should definately not play as one of them, it would be really stupid. Their characters are already established there is nothing more to discover.

I strongly agree with you.

my male Revan :p

Its as much the exile's story as it is Revan's. The overall story arch of the series is of "two contrasting characters, war veterans, shaped by the horrors of their shared past (the mandalorian wars i.e Vietnam in space) both separated, but bound by the force and their converging fates".

I'm not opposed to a total restart of the series, but should Revan have an important role to play in KOTOR3 then so should the exile. He is as much a part of the story arc as Revan, whether you like it or not.

Besides, TSL gave us an opportunity to make him a much more complex character than we ever could with Revan.

I agree but they should NOT make them party members or playable characters. And I most strongly object to either of them being the main PC. Fighter has the right idea.

i do think we should have a new ally of Revan from the Jedi Civil War before he join the jedi.

Darth Seviol: a Beautiful yet deadly Sith Witch/Assasin. Also she is a Catherine Zeta-Jone look like.

Darth Nilihus: Returns as a Force Spectral Vampire.  We get to know more about his past.

What a great idea. We need to make sure the devs hear about this! :-o:)

Darth Nilihus: Returns as a Force Spectral Vampire.  We get to know more about his past.

Yes, I'd like Nihilus back as well. In fact, I'd like to have Exile find Revan only to discover that he has turned back to the dark side. Revan then forces the Exile to turn dark side as well, and the Exile becomes the new Darth Nihilus. After all, he did end up with Nihilus' mask in KotOR2, didn't he?

Also, did you note how the Exile never expressed any interest in actually seeing the face of Nihilus? Isn't that rather odd when we know they were both jedi veterans from Malachor V? On top of that, they both have this ability to suppress the force...

I think the Exile was subconsciously very much aware of just who Nihilus was... In fact, I think it was the Exile's dead master or so, revived on Malachor V when the Exile suppressed the will of the force and created the force wound. So in a sense, Nihilus is a part of the Exile that he sought to suppress and deny - he exists because the Exile is in denial about what the Mandalorian Wars did to him. Revan makes him see that and so heals the wound when the Exile accepts what happens... But it also leaves the Exile to fall to the dark side and become the new Darth Nihilus.

It actually adds up, and you could even argue that KotOR2 suggests the possibility by having Visas bring Nihilus' mask to the Exile without the Exile ever seeing Nihilus' face.

The origin of this topic seems be founded on the idea that a Revan and Exile game would have them both be undeniably light sided in a possible KotOR3. I think that's quite wrong.

Indeed, the plot of KotOR2 seems to have been carefully crafted to end up with a situation, where you will fight the true Sith in a third game whether you chose the light or dark side of the force in either game.

Take a look at the endings of KotOR1 - if you're light side, then you kill Malak, destroy the Starforge, and save the Republic. All around do-gooder and galactic savior. Major happy endings.

As dark side, however, you still kill Malak, but you take control of the Starforge, destroy the Republic fleet, attain the position of dark lord to rule all Sith, then build a massive fleet of warships so that you can undoubtedly conquer the Republic with little or no resistance in short order.

Clearly, these are two very different endings. So when you're going to do a sequel, then you have to reconcile those endings in some way unless you're going to write two separate games. You're not going to do that, since it's by no means cost-effective, so reconciliation is a must.

So you do you do that? Well, you get the troublesome protagonist of the previous game out of the story, then begin finding excuses..., ahem, EXPLANATIONS for why the galaxy has reached the state you find it in at the begining of the second game.

To get Revan out the way, you create a greater enemy than Malak ever was. That way Revan will go and fight that enemy whether he was good or evil - if he was good, then he'll go alone in order to not put his friends in danger and to save them and the Republic, and if he was evil, then he'll go alone because he trusts nobody and can't have this greater enemy threaten his emerging empire.

Now, this still doesn't explain the state of how the rest of the galaxy. So you advance time five years, then quickly tell that many, many jedi were killed during the war ("Jedi Civil War") that raged in the previous game (even if you never actually saw that). If Revan saved many jedi, then you stage an event that kills them off (hence Master Vandar et al suddenly perish on Katarr in a LS-Revan game).

Now you can begin a new game with a clean slate and new character and only have Revan and his friends do something at the outskirts of your plot. Finding out what happened to them will be major mysterous that the player needs to solve during the game. But since Revan was player-created, you never really allow him (or her) into the game.

Of course, you won't want to script an ending for this new game that is as clear-cut good or evil as previously (that's what caused all the problems in the first place). So what do you do? Well, you make discovery of this "greater enemy" that Revan went to fight a major revelation in the game, and then you have the game end with the new protagonist going off alone to fight this enemy as well. Since Revan went to fight this enemy whether he was good or evil, the same is just as relevant for the new protagonist, and you won't have to worry about this enemy until you get to the third game.

Don't get me wrong, I thought KotOR2's plot was well crafted (except for the woefully missing and oft-mentioned endings) and I did enjoy playing it. But as I've said before that doesn't mean that I'm blind to how the whole plot was carefully engineered to dark/light side choice of either game irrelevant - you'll end up having to fight the true Sith in the third game no matter which side you choose and for the same reasons as Revan - either to save the Republic if light sided or to stop a threat to your own empire if you're dark sided.

So having Revan and the Exile going off to fight the true Sith in no way means that they're both goody-little-two-shoes.

Now, I don't want any of them as the main character in the third game, but I do want them both in the game, because we do need to see how their stories play out. I don't think that will be a problem, though. Revan and the Exile and their experiences should be the 'hidden past' of KotOR3. That way we won't have to have yet another amnesic jedi...

I haven't been to this forum in a while, so sorry if I missed something, but who said anything about Revan and/or the Exile being "blue glowies"?  Who said anything about them being the only characters?  And who said anything about the entire game involving nothing but fighting the Sith?

No one but since almost everyone is either dead or mentioned in the endings as

helping to rebuild the jedi order

then it would only seem to reason that (atleast for the old crews anyway) Revan and the exile would be on their own.

To whoever said it, there will not just be 2 characters. You seen the SW movies, how many times do the people actually listen and stay put? 0.

atleast five times in the KOTOR games more than likely more

a breakdown in case your wondering;

Carth, Bastila, T3, canderous, and HK

all did as they were told and stayed behind leaving revan to go off and fight the big bad sith by himself

Listen, for one thing these games would suck without continuity and an immersive plot and story.

You are wrong on this point because I think everyone would have been happy if K2 was done without involving Revan in anyway shap or form, I mean his story was finished at the end of K1 and maybe should have been left that way Not sure who the bone head was who decided to mess with that story but they should get fired because it was nothing but a bad idea from the get go... but in all fairness to whoever it was who did decide to involve Revan, the fans (and you know who you are) were begging like little kids in a candy store for revan to be in the game.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png