Star Wars Geeks at their finest

Ellester

Two British Star Wars fans sustained critical injuries after constructing their own lightsabers from fluorescent light tubes filled with liquid fuel.

In other words, they made custom giant glowsticks? But those arent normally combustible/flammable? :blink:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Two British Star Wars fans sustained critical injuries after constructing their own lightsabers from fluorescent light tubes filled with liquid fuel.

In other words, they made custom giant glowsticks? But those arent normally combustible/flammable? :blink:

They aren't normally filled with highly combustible liquids and an electrical current, either.

They aren't normally filled with highly combustible liquids and an electrical current, either.

Sounds interesting, chemicly speaking. Do you know exactly what they were using?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You want to see two people maimed? That's pretty ****ed up.

If they were not being such idiots, no as it would be like watching a car accident. But since I am stunned that these idiots even thought of something this ridiculous, I am very interested. If it

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

i am ashamed, i truly thought an american would do it first  :)

I thought geeks were clever?!?! never mind theye were probably drunk/high/bored and 17-20 is not old at all.

geeks are people who lead sad lives.

nerds are clever although they have acne, greasy hair and glasses thick enough to stop a bullet in its tracks.

Two Star Wars fans are in a critical condition in hospital after apparently trying to make light sabres by filling fluorescent light tubes with petrol.

A man, aged 20, and a girl of 17 are believed to have been filming a mock duel when they poured fuel into two glass tubes and lit it.

The mystery thickens.. or does it?

And also, I read in a British tabloid newspaper today that GL, is going to make another movie after all ;)

Set 100 hundred years before TPM. And the main character will be none other than.........You guessed it, the little green fellow himself, Yoda.

And having read this in a tabloid......I'm convinced it's true. :-"

Despite my sadistic side enjoying the fact that these two idiots were injured from being...well... idiots, I'm more amused by the Darth Vader thieves...

Oh I can imagine the security footage now...

;)

DL

P.S. I refuse to accept that it could be my very stupid friend who happens to live in Hertfordshire and who also happens to have been admitted into hospital on Sunday... :-"

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

Two Star Wars fans are in a critical condition in hospital after apparently trying to make light sabres by filling fluorescent light tubes with petrol.

A man, aged 20, and a girl of 17 are believed to have been filming a mock duel when they poured fuel into two glass tubes and lit it.

The mystery thickens.. or does it?

It's certainly odd. I haven't read any article which propose a reason for their having used gas in the sabers. I can't imagine what the logic could have been. Filling the fluorescent light tube with a liquid should prevent the tube from "lighting up" at all, as the tube's phosphorescence is dependent on liquid mercury, subject to an electric current, achieving its gaseous state and emitting (invisible) photons which illuminate the phosphors lining the tube. Only the "outside" of the tube emits light in the visible spectrum. The ionised mercury simply emits UV to hit the phosphor lining and create visible light. The entire process should be disrupted by the tube containing anything other than a small amount of instantly ionised gas and a tiny quantity of liquid mercury (or functional equivalent).

Regardless, opening a device containing a toxic liquid which is meant to be excited as a highly toxic gas and filling said device, one of whose primary functional goals is to create as massive an arc of electrons as quickly as possible (to 'start' the light) with combustible liquid goes beyond stupid to the absolutely mind-boggling. It's as if they pursued danger wherever it could be found in the modern home. One wonders that they didn't manage to work swallowing WD-40 and being showered in Drano into this somehow, too.

I guess they were both role playing the part of Anakin....

...they did a fine job....

Or roleplaying the part of the younglings. I say Anakin didn't murder them. That's just people rushing to judgment. It was probably just a series of unfortunate light saber accidents.

flourescent light tubes + fire = bad

everyone knows that. atleast anyone who liked fire when he was a kid.

flourescent light tubes + fire = bad

everyone knows that. atleast anyone who liked fire when he was a kid.

Well, the danger wasn't really in the combination of fire and the fluorescent light tube. A fluorescent light tube itself is generally just some argon (an inert and completely harmless atmospheric gas which is all around us anyway) and a tiny quantity of mercury, which, while toxic, doesn't pose a threat unless ingested.

Presumably, electricity was the killer here: the real danger was the combination of a combustible liquid (petrol) with the powering of the arc light contained within the fluorescent tube, engineered to produce an extremely intense spontaneous burst of electrons to ionise the light's ballast and illuminate the light, or, in this case, extremely quickly ignite a significant quantity of gasoline.

At present both the 17 yo girl and 20 yo boy are in hospital with burns to 30% of their bodies; the boy is not stable and there is concern that he won't live. (Burns are very painful; a lot of sufferers don't want to live through the rehab, as it involves grafting skin from healthy areas (e.g. legs / buttocks), which is painful enough, not to mention the daily forced tearing of the healing skin to ensure sufficient range of movement of limbs ...)

Of course -- should they die -- they will be automatically entered into the Darwin Awards for 2005.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT