Dark Side easier ? I don't think so.

I've finished the game as a LS and then started again as a DS.

I have found the LS path so much easier, easier to gain influence with my companions and turn them into Jedi.

Going DS I am having real problems gaining influence as I would get some LS points winning them over to me (especialy Bao Dur and Handmaiden)

Simplest way is to go LS at the start then once they are converted turn to the worst example of humanity you can.

Overall I like the game desptie a few annoying bugs.

Off course DS is more difficult.

More difficult to be completely evil, more difficult to gain influence, but how about more difficult to fight some Jedi masters, fighting Vrook is pretty tough if you pick Dantooine first. I just beat him by placing 15 average frag mines on top of each other. Hmm, I am playing a LS game on the moment but I would like to see how the ending turns out now that I killed Vrook. Yes, I picked up some hints on this forum earlier.

Master Vandar lives!

fighting is much easier on DS. you get great force powers,...... about the influence i would say it goes both ways. on DS you have problems with handmaiden, Bao-Dur and T3( Atton and Kreia somehow have some DS influences, the same for Visas.) on LS you get problems with Mandalore, HK, and Hanharr.

LS is easier because you're basically a good person.

Also, your companions' comments and behaviour make more sense when you're LS. If you have high charisma, you can easily use Force Lightning when you're LS, as counter-intuitive as this seems. Surely the act of using DS powers should give you DS points?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The darkside is a path that leads to much power, but i wouldn't say it's any harder or easier.

If you want difficulty just go to options and select "EASY".

:devil:

"I tried the most potent Noise Amplification spell once upon a time. Mavellous spell. I could hear the birds speaking to one another in trees over the horizon, I could hear the rustlings as the clouds rubbed against each other in the sky. I could hear the sound a rainbow makes as it arches it's back over the world. Then a dog barked behind me and I burst my left eardrum."

I dont think its a case of being easier to play as LS or DS... its down to the way in which you want to play the game... basically, I agree with Bytor

I found it much more interesting to play KOTOR2 as DS though and KOTOR1 as LS :D

DL

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

I dont think its a case of being easier to play as LS or DS... its down to the way in which you want to play the game... basically, I agree with Bytor

I found it much more interesting to play KOTOR2 as DS though and KOTOR1 as LS  :D

DL

I make a convincing arguement

"I tried the most potent Noise Amplification spell once upon a time. Mavellous spell. I could hear the birds speaking to one another in trees over the horizon, I could hear the rustlings as the clouds rubbed against each other in the sky. I could hear the sound a rainbow makes as it arches it's back over the world. Then a dog barked behind me and I burst my left eardrum."

well, the only hard thing i got when playing on DS was that the responses of some people on my actions let me have a bad consinence :blink: , so i cant live with myself. So basically the greatest problem in DS is that you really have to force yourself into it

Yeh, I found it really hard to be evil in front of Carth... :">

His criticism was something that my poor fangirl heart couldnt handle :p

I kept wanting the option for my PC to shout "I'm so sorry Carth! Please love me!"... *ahem*... well, not wanting, just thought it might be a cool idea, y'know, if I cared that much... :"> :blink:"

DL

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

well, the only hard thing i got when playing on DS was that the responses of some people on my actions let me have a bad consinence :blink: , so i cant live with myself. So basically the greatest problem in DS is that you really have to force yourself into it

Can you say "Role Play" with me, boys and girls?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well the full point of playing DS is to be a Sith Lord... and Sith lords.. don't try to influence people.. they demand obedience... they want slaves not friends..

Try to chance the way you focus your character... you don't trying to make friends or find allies... you trying to find slaves and servants.. in the end of the day once you get the DS mastery.. you don't really need any one.. you can clear few rooms with a bit of lighting... or dry your victims out of live.

I got through the full game as DS with only Visas as my partner... all the others were just my slaves..

If you have Visas with DS mastery.... nothing can't touch you.. as soon you use lighting, Visas does to.. and when that happens is like a mini storm...you kill 10-20 bad guys at ones.. :blink:

If you have Visas with DS mastery.... nothing can't touch you..  as soon you use lighting, Visas does to..  and when that happens is like a mini storm...you kill 10-20 bad guys at ones..  :blink:

Technically they aren't bad guys, you are!

As a sith lord, not only do you have to kill the Sith but the Jedi also.

On Duxn it would be better if you could ally yourself with the sith lords, no?

Just a thought.....

There are various ways of playing this game and i feel its a shame if you cant detach yourself enough to play chracters that are not like your real life persona. You are really missing out. Be bad , be really bad if for no ther reason than to see what it is like.

LS is easier because you're basically a good person.

Also, your companions' comments and behaviour make more sense when you're LS.  If you have high charisma, you can easily use Force Lightning when you're  LS, as counter-intuitive as this seems.  Surely the act of using DS powers should give you DS points?

Isn't it Vrook that says it is lack of discipline that leads to the dark side, not how you use your powers?

I think the writers are to be congratulated if people find it difficult to play the game DS -- that means that the atmosphere is immersive and the characters convincing.

Cloris

Cool...I've never lost *that* much influence with someone because I was trying to gain high influence with everyone. I'll have to keep that in mind.

As far as the game mechanics go, I think it is much easier to be DS because force crush is so powerful against the final three bosses. Also, it costs less force points to use force storm as a DS character (although that didn't stop me from using it as a LS character too :D ) The game itself feels as if it was designed with a LS male character in mind. Playing as a female exile with a female Revan the dialogue often got confused and referred to them as male characters. It is much easier to get LS points than DS points in the game. Not all DS characters are mindlessly belligerent and insult everything in sight and not all polite characters are LS... If you are trying to gain DS mastery the game seems to encourage you to be self-destructively stupid. Some of the other party members still act "good" when they have DS mastery.

In terms of actually being able to role-play being evil, I found the decisions in Kotor I to be much more sickening. Granted I may have missed some things in Kotor II but there was nothing that truly made me hate my own character. Kotor I had several such things that I can remember and I haven't played it in months.

Depends on your definition of "easier".

It is easier to play a DS character in KotOR2 because the ethical dilemmas are all for the LS. A DS PC just acts like a yob and is slavishly selfish throughout the game. This is my main criticism of the DS path; there is no depth to it. You can't be a puppeteer like Senator Palpatine or Darth Traya, you have to be a pantomime villain like Darth Vader, complete with ott costume.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

playing DS is great! The powers are awesome (especially Force Drain and Life Drain) and i liked the dialogue options. Not much "stealth" though, as metadigital said. K1 was better in DS roleplaying IMHO.

K1 was better in DS roleplaying IMHO.

I don't agree with this. I thought K2 had more genuine "DS" moments.

As for people who say they "can't" play DS because it makes them feel icky, I don't understand this. You're playing a video game. Detach yourself from being a baby and just take on a role of a villain. Do you say "I can't play this" when it comes to games like Grand Theft Auto where you have to shoot people and steal cars?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

As for people who say they "can't" play DS because it makes them feel icky, I don't understand this. You're playing a video game. Detach yourself from being a baby and just take on a role of a villain. Do you say "I can't play this" when it comes to games like Grand Theft Auto where you have to shoot people and steal cars?

Yep, K2 had more ways to be evil: just not enough ways to be manipulative with pretend "good" tactical actions for "bad" strategic aims.

It's funny that people are quite able to pretend they are a super driver / footballer in a car racing / football sim, but not so quick to be the baddie.

There are various ways of playing this game and i feel its a shame if you cant detach yourself enough to play chracters that are not like your real life persona. You are really missing out. Be bad , be really bad if for no ther reason than to see what it is like.

Yes, if nothing else it will give you some understanding of what it is like to be bad, e.g. how people treat you, if not how you feel whilst doing it (because I don't think you can immitate sociopathy ...): you will be better placed to understand why your are a good person and probably be less likely to act in a selfish way.

Isn't it Vrook that says it is lack of discipline that leads to the dark side, not how you use your powers?

I think the writers are to be congratulated if people find it difficult to play the game DS -- that means that the atmosphere is immersive and the characters convincing.

Too true, the dialogue script is quite well done (if limited in DS options in places), so that you might easily answer in a "good" way without realising you are being selfish ...

Sure, a "Chaotic Good" PC will happily use any means -- including Lightning, Poison or Life Drain -- to achieve the ultimate Good. Vrook is probably a "Lawful Good": "the end does NOT justify the means".

Yep, grey areas are good, less black and white = more realism / immersion.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I don't think that combat should be easier, but they need to put something in the next game that shows the path of the Dark is an easier path to walk, and overall futile if you look ahead.

Okay, once again the Jedi are against you, they fight you when they see you. Now you must make a choice, you either go Vader on their ass and kill the Knights, padawans, a few masters and children at an enclave, academy or temple, or you use patience, continue your quest despite their oppression until they see the true threat. Or something along those lines maybe.

I think that the next game should have more inSIDIOUS ways to manipulate the members of your party. I would much prefer to role play a character that says what the team members should hear but subvesrsivly(sp?) change them to the DS as well through playing against their emotions/fears.

I agree that the DS choices in KotOR II are more based on thuggery and yobishness than what a Sith Lord should be about.

Dance little puppets, dance!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Well said. Playing a villian is easy. This is roleplaying after all.