K3 graphics

I'm expecting a lot this time around. They should not keep the same engine again.

But think about it, think of how cool it would look. The Xbox 360 has quite good graphics, and so will my computer soon! This game could border real! Think of how great that would be!

I expect a lot from the next game graphics wise.

I just expect everything in that department to be better. Have you guys seen the graphics on Gothic III and Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion? That is close to what I want. That and all of these cool animations depending on your form. That and different NPC's should have different animations.

SCORPION STANCE!!!

I'm expecting a lot this time around. They should not keep the same engine again.

But think about it, think of how cool it would look. The Xbox 360 has quite good graphics, and so will my computer soon! This game could border real! Think of how great that would be!

While im sure the graphics will be upgraded.

Why should they change engine?

It always amazes me over the years, people ask for new engines in highly successfull game lines, developers do it, and game tanks as it loses its feel.

I hope they keep same engine and just upgrade graphics, keep the fundamentals the same so KotOR franchise continues to be the star it is.

If it aint broken, dont fix it :rolleyes:

Yes, if they put their attention on graphics then the game will probably fail. Sure, if the effects can be good it might be all right but I don't like a game which takes up 10 Gb of hard disk space just because the graphics are so cool. Give us the best storyline possible please. The improvements we have seen in Kotor II were IMO not a great add-on. Sure, I like the full screen: pazaak, level up, alignment, quests screens etc. Influence, Computer holograms, new items; shame about the Random Item generator though. Workbench / Lab station make your own upgrades. But I surely dislike the unfinished story, plotholes and unfinished quests.

I do hope that Kotor III if it will be made and I think it will should:

A) Not be rushed

B) Not be made with many more of these add-ons like we have seen in this game (Kotor II)

C) Should be made with the best storyline possible!

And I do think that is possible. Revenge of the Sith just did it. You can do it as well. I have fait in that.

Master Vandar lives!

The changes I expect would mean you would have to change the engine. More animations, much better graphics, but on a huge scale. Think of Kotor I, when they started in 2001, those graphics were top of the line at the time, and they still made a good story and game altogether. Even in 2003 those were better. Look at these boards, people felt like it was the same game, because of same graphics, almost all of the same animations, and similar goals to advance the story. If they do this, the need to spend as much time as K1 if not more to actually improve this game. A good story is only fun for so long. Many people didn't buy BG2 because the graphics and the interface was so similar that they just got tired of it. People will get tired of it.

You either keep up with the herd, or get lost in the dust. No way in hell will I spend fifty bucks on a game that looks like **** compared to the other stuff on the shelf. I'm saying this and KotOR is my favorite thing about Star Wars period. I would wait until the **** drops to like 20, which won't be long, trust me. If this game is supposed to be such a cash cow they cannot go without it.

The story doesn't have to be terrible either, they just need to spend even more time on the game. This is why there are different teams within the company. Not all of it has time to be implemented though, so they just need to spend more time on implementation. To tell you the truth, even though K2 was so great, I was bored with the graphics after a while. I was freakin exited about this game, especially when Sion appeared, that was the climax for me though, it went downhill after that. Why? Because that game looked worse IMO. Too much the same and nothing cool to look at that I haven't seen, and these fighting animations are only fun for so long. K2 was good, but only story and music-wise.

If they don't change, they lose me, a big fan. I can't speak for others but it's likely for them as well.

The changes I expect would mean you would have to change the engine. (..) Look at these boards, people felt like it was the same game, because of same graphics, almost all of the same animations, and similar goals to advance the story.

There is no need to change the game engine if complaint is about re-using old *content* ... it just means the *artists* need to create new and different combinations of polygons and pixels for the engine to push around :blink:

I concur.

It always amazes me over the years, people ask for new engines in highly successfull game lines, developers do it, and game tanks as it loses its feel.

I hope they keep same engine and just upgrade graphics, keep the fundamentals the same so KotOR franchise continues to be the star it is.

If it aint broken, dont fix it :blink:

I think that it is possible to keep the same feel for a game franchise when going from one engine to another. They just need to keep the focus of the originals when making the next one. And who says changing the feel of a game is a bad thing. What if it changes for the better?

its true with all games, you don't need a game with great graphics or an a cutting edge engine the basics of video games will never change the most important part must be the story.

By Christopher 'shaithis' Buecheler | May 25, 2005 Gamespy.com

It's a cute joke, but the idea that graphics don't matter in gaming and that it's "all about the gameplay" is of course absurd. Pretty games sell. Ugly games don't. That's the cold, hard truth.

Now, I'm by no means advocating that developers forsake gameplay for graphics, but the simple fact is that graphics can help in that department. They're not an inherent hindrance, it's just that too many people don't use them for anything.

Graphics create atmosphere, immersion, believability... they aid gameplay by, when they're good, helping the player to forget that he's sitting in front of a television. Not that one ever fully forgets such things, but let's say I'm playing an NBA game... don't you think it's going to jar me out of the experience when the camera zooms in on Dwyane Wade, and he looks like Gollum, well... it's going to break the immersion. Bigtime.

Graphics are essential. Gameplay is essential. Skip either of the two, and you've put yourself in a hole (altho from a sales standpoint, skipping graphics is the greater sin).

Yes, if they put their attention on graphics then the game will probably fail. Sure, if the effects can be good it might be all right but I don't like a game which takes up 10 Gb of hard disk space just because the graphics are so cool. Give us the best storyline possible please. The improvements we have seen in Kotor II were IMO not a great add-on. Sure, I like the full screen: pazaak, level up, alignment, quests screens etc. Influence, Computer holograms, new items; shame about the Random Item generator though. Workbench / Lab station make your own upgrades. But I surely dislike the unfinished story, plotholes and unfinished quests.

A) Not be rushed

B) Not be made with many more of these add-ons like we have seen in this game (Kotor II)

And I do think that is possible. Revenge of the Sith just did it. You can do it as well. I have fait in that.

No offence but the acting and dialog in Reveng of the Sith left something to be desired. The other movies did better.

I concur.

If it aint broken, dont fix it :blink:

I think that it is possible to keep the same feel for a game franchise when going from one engine to another. They just need to keep the focus of the originals when making the next one. And who says changing the feel of a game is a bad thing. What if it changes for the better?

its true with all games, you don't need a game with great graphics or an a cutting edge engine the basics of video games will never change the most important part must be the story.

By Christopher 'shaithis' Buecheler | May 25, 2005 Gamespy.com

It's a cute joke, but the idea that graphics don't matter in gaming and that it's "all about the gameplay" is of course absurd. Pretty games sell. Ugly games don't. That's the cold, hard truth.

Now, I'm by no means advocating that developers forsake gameplay for graphics, but the simple fact is that graphics can help in that department. They're not an inherent hindrance, it's just that too many people don't use them for anything.

Graphics create atmosphere, immersion, believability... they aid gameplay by, when they're good, helping the player to forget that he's sitting in front of a television. Not that one ever fully forgets such things, but let's say I'm playing an NBA game... don't you think it's going to jar me out of the experience when the camera zooms in on Dwyane Wade, and he looks like Gollum, well... it's going to break the immersion. Bigtime.

Graphics are essential. Gameplay is essential. Skip either of the two, and you've put yourself in a hole (altho from a sales standpoint, skipping graphics is the greater sin).

If that is the case how come no one is using hte Quake 3 engine anymore? It's simply because older engines (like the one running Kotor) simply can't handle the cool stuff today like hoods (well that are switchable). I find it funny in the opening scene that Kreia looks like she is moving her hood down but doesn't hah. Her hands go right through her hood

A) Not be rushed

No offence but the acting and dialog in Reveng of the Sith left something to be desired. The other movies did better.

Hardly. The original movies in today's standards had worse acting than Revenge of the Sith. You can't compare a movie that has been done 30 years to movies that have been created a month ago.

Hmm the originals had good acting? I really like the great acting like the stormtrooper that hit the bulkhead and felled down :blink: oo yeah. How about the bad acting with the extras? If I recall some distant extras look DIRECTLY at the camera for crying outloud. You can't say Revenge of the Sith has bad acting while the original does. Revenge of the Sith has much better acting than most of the crap coming out today.

A) Not be rushed

Hardly. The original movies in today's standards had worse acting than Revenge of the Sith. You can't compare a movie that has been done 30 years to movies that have been created a month ago.

Hmm the originals had good acting? I really like the great acting like the stormtrooper that hit the bulkhead and felled down :blink: oo yeah. How about the bad acting with the extras? If I recall some distant extras look DIRECTLY at the camera for crying outloud. You can't say Revenge of the Sith has bad acting while the original does. Revenge of the Sith has much better acting than most of the crap coming out today.

Maybe that statment was poorly worded. When I said that I did not mean that the whole movie was full of it, certain parts were great, but certin parts had poorly written dialog and some of the lines when delivered were corny. And at least in the orginals there were not moments I wanted to burst out laughing because it was so cheezy. I will concede that the originals were not great monuments of acting.

Lets quite arguing movie semantics.

I want to say something.

during the first time I played Kotor 1 I could not explain the utter feeling of depth and immersion I felt walking out onto the streets of upper taris and then I saw some of the blocky graphics and lack of detail and then I remebered it was a game

Don't get me wrong I LOVE THIS SERIES, I have played each game both ways through male and female, light and dark about 12 times through and each time I see something that needs improvement.

This is about increasing everything: voice overs, timing, humor, foreshadowing hyperbowl, all the other literary lingo;

graphics how about stepping it up, wether elements day night elements more detailed shadowing/reflection, combat animation, player customization/portraits

Gameplay more feats' powers some easyer to obtain than others making some weapons more useful instead of a bunch of useless ones. and maybe being able to use the onbourd computers/communications...ect.

with rpg's its all about immersion folks.

get them hooked and they wont stop playing.

If that is the case how come no one is using hte Quake 3 engine anymore? It's simply because older engines (like the one running Kotor) simply can't handle the cool stuff today like hoods (well that are switchable).

That's a silly thing to say. First off, how on earth do you know there's no one who's using Q3 engine for their game right now? I seriously doubt all developers have sent you personal emails stating what engine they use for their current project.

As for older engines not being able to handle "cool" stuff... check out http://www.thewitcher.com/witcher.asp -- this is being done with Bioware's Aurora engine as the base but i seriously doubt anyone would be able to tell that on their own from the visuals alone. Aurora engine was on this very forum deemed "useless" by some people who were wailing how brand new game engine is the only way to go.

At the end of the day the 'cool stuff like hoods' are just textured polygons with optional animation. Now i might be wrong, but KotOR engine is certainly capable of displaying animated, textured polygons. And if i remember right, they didn't make it in the game mostly due to *hardware* limitations, i.e. there's only that many textured polygons you can display on the Xbox if you want to keep framerates acceptable for a console title...

If that is the case how come no one is using hte Quake 3 engine anymore? It's simply because older engines (like the one running Kotor) simply can't handle the cool stuff today like hoods (well that are switchable).

That's a silly thing to say. First off, how on earth do you know there's no one who's using Q3 engine for their game right now? I seriously doubt all developers have sent you personal emails stating what engine they use for their current project.

As for older engines not being able to handle "cool" stuff... check out http://www.thewitcher.com/witcher.asp -- this is being done with Bioware's Aurora engine as the base but i seriously doubt anyone would be able to tell that on their own from the visuals alone. Aurora engine was on this very forum deemed "useless" by some people who were wailing how brand new game engine is the only way to go.

At the end of the day the 'cool stuff like hoods' are just textured polygons with optional animation. Now i might be wrong, but KotOR engine is certainly capable of displaying animated, textured polygons. And if i remember right, they didn't make it in the game mostly due to *hardware* limitations, i.e. there's only that many textured polygons you can display on the Xbox if you want to keep framerates acceptable for a console title...

That is a good argument.

However I'll just say that I'm bored with this engine and graphics. The new engine should have the same rules and stuff, however I want all the new cool stuff. Longer lightsabers, new robes that look more like the ones from the movies (Anakin in robe when he went to kill Viceroy Gunray was awesome) and just tons of crap. Look at the Gothic series, they could use the same stuff, no need to change cause they could add tons of good stuff to the engine that may seem useless but I've seen great things done with it in the modding community. Now look at Gothic 3, those graphics and the new engine will draw a whole new audience *and* keep old fans happy.

I want, I want, I want!! GIVE ME!!!

Graphics don't make a game...but they don't hurt...well they do if you have a small budget...and very limited time...

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

In Kotor 3 I want all the first two games had(gameplay wise), minus the 2nd games crafting system. I want improved next gen graphics, and physics(so say a Dark side Sith could force throw objects in a room against the target, like Vader does). And remove the random item drops, perhaps leave small items like health pack ands other minor stuff as random. Leave useful items as static.

The game should start at level 15(so you level up to 15 when you create the character), with a lightsaber, and turn the rest of the game into epic content, ala the Hordes of the Underdark. With a high level cap(50?).

We'll know what graphics when we find out what the two games Bioware are developing for Xbox 360 are and what they look like. Unreal 3.0 is very likely, we know Bioware are creating a RPG layer to add to Unreal 3.0 so they may utilize this for Kotor 3(or atleast, I can dream this'll happen).

I wanna see larger worlds. Perhaps abit like SWG(as far as the size of traversible terrain per planet) and some open terrain to travel on(with no zones to travel through, just one big open area). Would give a reason to have and use speeders then too( I can't be the only one sick of those always having their controls locked!). :D

I want more puzzles, I want more detective style missions too like the one on Dantooine in Kotor 1. I also want more droid types(considering how linear T3 has been, there could half a dozen different droids with similar linear dialogue, perhaps even a Protocol Droid that can be used to persuade people). Oh and a new ship to travel in!

Also I assume kotor 3 will revolve around Revan and Exile and the threat Revan went off to face. So the first half of the game you play as Exile(flowing on from Kotor 2) finding & saving Revan(perhaps by finding Bastila and then going on from there), then you have Revan and Exile as your main characters, and you get to send them off to do different missions/planets simultaneously. Even if they end up on opposite side of the force spectrum, if there is some dangerous threat out in the outer rim, would unite these two.

Right now I just want a Kotor 3(even with the same graphics as the first two), I worry that Kotor 2's forced early release will gimp its critical reception and therefore sales and kill the franchise(does anyone know how many copies of Kotor 2 have sold?). I love both games(like I love all Bioware games, and Black Isle/Obsidian games). :p