Batman Begins Preview

Antagonist

Here is a link to the preview of Batman Begins but beware it is a 100 Mb download:

Preview

So, my initial reaction after watching was this: :o

My reaction after I had some time to regain my composure: :shifty:;):)

I was interested in a new Batman movie which would abondon the sillyness of Burton and Schumacher but I was not prepared that the movie might be the greatest summer blockbuster in recent years. The preview was so packed with emotion, great imagery and lack of sillyness that I hardly can await until it hits the screens. Notice how much of the trailer deals with Wayne's motivation for becoming Batman and only the last third is reserved for some action scenes. Also note the dramatic lack of *obvious* CGI.

I also couldn't help but to think about Star Wars after the preview. Imagine Obi-Wan and Anakin training like Bruce and his mentor on the ice and talking about past anger and guilt. Would have also fitted perfectly for Anakin and his mother's death.

I'll stop right here, don't want this thread to turn into a SW discussion. Just watch the damn thing end enjoy !

I saw this after the Smallville Season Finale on Wedsnday. Looks good; but seems to be overrated. From what I saw, the guy who plays Batman - whose name elludes me at the moment - does an unconvincing job. Otherwise, it'll be a fun movie. I doubt it'll beat Batman.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

batwhisper.jpg

I think these new films are for sissies, Batman

batwhisper2.jpg

You might just be right about that, Robin. I find they are little match for the brilliance of our television series.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That Batman is retarded. I don't know why people like it. It wns't even funny most of the time. The comedy,a cting, and stories ALL sucked. I'll take the worst Batman move from the 'serious' series than that Joker (heheh) of a garbage tv series...

I saw this after the Smallville Season Finale on Wedsnday. Looks good; but seems to be overrated. From what I saw, the guy who plays Batman - whose name elludes me at the moment - does an unconvincing job. Otherwise, it'll be a fun movie. I doubt it'll beat Batman.

Christian Bale. I haven't watched this preview yet, but Christian Bale in my experience is a pretty good and dedicated actor, and I'd be surprised if his performance in Batman Begins was not up to par. If it's unconvincing as you say, it may be simply the preview not giving an accurate picture.

On the other hand, almost every actor gives an occasional poor performance. Maybe I'll have a better idea once I see it.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Aye, that's who it is. And, I like him too. I just wasn't convinced in the trailer, and it wans't like it was a 10 second clip. It was 10 minutes of scenes throughout the movie. Like I said, it looks to be a good movie though.

I still think that Christian Bale will do a better job than Val Kilmer or George Clooney. I've been waiting for this show, but the bar of my expectation level has been set pretty low with most of the Batman movies being hellalame.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

You're probably right, I may not giving Bale enough due. I'll have to wait until I see him performing.

Bale was Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. He is is able to carry depth really well, I think, and will make an excellent Batman. *tantacles crossed* I think the trouble with the role is more with us than with the actors -- we all have a set idea of who and what the character should be, so it is hard to accept anybody in the role that commits any deivation from our own ideals.

Cloris

Having seen the preview i thought he was pretty good as Bats, cloris is right about the public perception of Batman - it will vary as there are many incarnations.

But as for the "begins" incarnation it seems like this one is based somewhat on Batman: Year One... which is is good IMO.

That Batman is retarded. I don't know why people like it. It wns't even funny most of the time. The comedy,a cting, and stories ALL sucked. I'll take the worst Batman move from the 'serious' series than that Joker (heheh) of a garbage tv series...

NAY!!!! THEY ARE THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME.

batman-c1.jpg

Adam West > Everyone else

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

i just wish that they would stop making his costume all black and put some bloody grey in it. I guess its finally sinking in that they will never make a Batman outfit that isn't some sort of body armor... :)

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Yeah Cloris, that's it exactly. It's just my problem. :)

Mine too! I've been a fan since Frank Miller worked his Dark Knight Mojo, and my head wants to explode anytime I try to think of what actor would be perfect as Batman. Keaton was crazy enough, Clooney was sauve enough, and Kilmer was just unstable enough, but there was always something missing -- which is probably because I want the guy to be everything. *sigh*

I got to see a bunch of Miller's work at the Museum of Words and Pictures, that place is incredible -- if you dig comics as art, definitely make a trip out there.

I wish they would make a film based on "The Killing Joke" though, that's one of my all time favorites.

I think Bale will be great, I can't wait to see this one,

Cloris

]

Mine too! I've been a fan since Frank Miller worked his Dark Knight Mojo, and my head wants to explode anytime I try to think of what actor would be perfect as Batman. Keaton was crazy enough, Clooney was sauve enough, and Kilmer was just unstable enough, but there was always something missing -- which is probably because I want the guy to be everything. *sigh*

I think my problem with these films is that although every person you've mentioned has brought something different to these roles, not one of them looks like they could escape from a wet paper bag. Acting wise I thought Keaton was the best, but shouldn't the Batman be a little bit more physically imposing? Maybe Bale will be the ultimate Batman, since he's actually seen the inside of a weight room... :)

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

@Antagonist: why do you believe Tim Burton's work on the first two Batman movies to amount to sillyness?

Maybe I should limit my criticism to Batman's Return. I actually quite liked the first Batman although sometimes I had the feeling that Jack Nichalson overacted as the Joker and thence wasn't all that menacing as I hoped he would be. Sadly this is a common trait in Batman movies that the villians lack an aura of menace,, they are all freaks. But the sequel was in my opinion a complete failure. Burton concentrated on expanding the comic appeal of Batman and somehow managed to drop the heart of it, speaking Bruce Wayne's inner struggle which was a nice counterbalance to the overdone action. The Penguin was just a joke and he couldn't either convice as a villian nor as a tragic character. I wasn't really sad when they announced that Burton was not asked for another movie and I became indeed optimistic about the next part. Well, Joel Schumachers result was somehow ...lacking. I hope they put a landmine under his next director chair for nearly killing the franchise. Alright, I retract the comment: I actually liked Phone Booth.

Maybe I should add that I don't know the comics too well and I am not familiar with the different issues which have been published over the recent years, so I am rather free of prejudices of how Batman should look in light of the comics.

What I like about the new Batman is that Nolan seems to take Bruce Wayne as a character seriously and that without proper introduction and a deep dive into his personal past the movie will look silly. Honestly, this is a comic about a man who runs around in a batlike costume and battles justice. To make this actually work on a level beyond the comic the audience must be made to believe that Wayne's decision to mask himself and battle evil is internally conclusive with the character and his surrounding.

Oh, another bit I like about the new movie: Gotham looks actually like a real city which helps the authenticity of the movie. After all, crimes are a sad part of our modern urban areas.

I like the armor, makes fighting enemies with handguns actually less lethal but I had hoped that they did something about the neck piece. It seems he still can't move his head to the side.

I love the preview ! It has heart ! It has dynamic ! It has great actors who obviously are comfortable with their roles. And it even looks great. Like the offspring of an arthouse movie and James Cameron's wet dreams.

If this movie doesn't deliver I will be royally pissed.

Bale was Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. He is is able to carry depth really well, I think, and will make an excellent Batman. *tantacles crossed* I think the trouble with the role is more with us than with the actors -- we all have a set idea of who and what the character should be, so it is hard to accept anybody in the role that commits any deivation from our own ideals.

I thought his performance for the first bit of American Psycho was wooden, and I didn't see the last part because the whole film was a tragic waste of time.

NAY!!!! THEY ARE THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME.

Adam West > Everyone else

Subtlety of wit and wry humour may not be everyone's taste, Mr Barlast. :thumbsup:"

And may I be the first to welcome back the blessed sig!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

"Subtlety of wit and wry humour may not be everyone's taste, Mr Barlast."

Ha. I love subtle humour; but said humour has to be funny. (w00t)

Few reasons why Bat's a few cards shy of a full deck.

- :cool: He's a billionaire playboy, who...

- :blink: Pretends to be a flying rodent

- :ermm: Dresses in tight Black Rubber outfit to beat people and to get beaten in return.

- :-" has a sidekick: Robin the Boy(toy) wonder.

I liked Bats in early 80's, but all the movies have been total garbage. Needles to say I wont be expecting much from this one... <_<

... It will however feature one of my favorite actors (Liam Neeson) :)

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.