Eurovision Song Contest

SteveThaiBinh

So you're not Macedonian, then, like Alexander the Great ...  :p"

I believe there's a region in Greece called Macedonia. Greece is hostile to the formation of an independent state with that name, which is why we always talk about "The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia", not just "Macedonia". I don't know which region has better claim to the name or which Alexander came from, though.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I believe there's a region in Greece called Macedonia. Greece is hostile to the formation of an independent state with that name, which is why we always talk about "The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia", not just "Macedonia". I don't know which region has better claim to the name or which Alexander came from, though.

Yes, I am aware of the blood-feud between the two countries over the name, hence my comment ... Still, the population of the Afghanistan probably has more genetic hereditary commonality with AtG than the current population of Greece. :-"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

(This discussion is completely off topic, but it's an off-topic Forum isn't it :-)

The Macedonians, and Alexander, put simply, were Greek. There are huge amounts of historical evidence that all point out to them being Greek (ALL archeological finds in the region have GREEK writings written on them, even the inscriptions inside King Phillip's tomb are in GREEK, ALL historians of the time refer to Macedonians as a Greek kingdom, Phillip and Alexander are GREEK names used even today, etc etc etc).

Then, a nation happens to form in a region once populated by the Greek Macedonians, and since each nation has a history, they decide to borrow/steal/alter Greek history in order to form their national history. And that's what it's all about.

Let's get back to the Eurovision contest now (w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

This needs to stop. Whats the point of competing by country when everyone is singing/writing for everyone?! What if next year we Swedes win with an Italian song sung by a Canadian? Can it really be said that Sweden won if that happened?

You're still treating Eurovision as a song contest and not a political litmus paper. Really, can you honestly say that the popular votes of the Balkans represents any sort of meritocratic score? Or the Greeks voting for Cyprus and vice versa? And the Scandinavians all in bed together? (Except this year Sweden's effort was so poor Norway only gave then une point.) I'd say that the UK should enter devolved entrants from Wales, Scotland, England and the Channel Islands, except that none of those contries would vote for England anyway. :D

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

In the UK we laugh at the political voting - although we always give a high score to Ireland, our neighbour - and again this year we saw Greece and Cyprus voting for each other, Lithuania and Estonia voting for Latvia, with the TV commentator mocking them for it. I wonder if other nations see it as a negative thing or just part of Eurovision tradition.

These are standard political votes...

Greece and Cyprus voting for each other (because, let's face it, we are each other's only "sister" nation in the world, unlike most other nations which have at least one country speaking the same language/having the same customs-traditions etc; this is not a justification in any way, anyway), the Baltic countries voting for each other, Eastern European countries and Russia voting for each other (except that Russia pretty much lost it at a point), all standard political voting.

But you are also forgetting another thing behind voting: T3h IMMIGRANTZ! In Greece, Albania got a 10 because there are almost 800.000 Albanians living and working here. In Germany there are almost 3 million Turks, so Turkey got a 10 there. In FYROM 40% of the population are Albanian, so Albania gets a 10 there as well, and countless more examples. Each immigrant mass-votes for his country of origin, and voila.

They should enact a law in Eurovision where a country is forbidden to vote for its neighbouring countries, or for the countries of the majority immigrants, or something like that. Maybe we would see a real contest then :p

In the UK we laugh at the political voting - although we always give a high score to Ireland, our neighbour - and again this year we saw Greece and Cyprus voting for each other, Lithuania and Estonia voting for Latvia, with the TV commentator mocking them for it.  I wonder if other nations see it as a negative thing or just part of Eurovision tradition.

I think a good dose of Terry Wogan is just what the Doctor ordered. As has been said, Mr Wogan takes -- very seriously -- the attitude of NOT taking the Eurovision Song Contest seriously. This is a very important lesson that will enable the rest of the nations competing to understand the pressure-valve nature of the show. :p

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think we already do see a reasonable contest. Most countries have several neighbours, and even if they are all guaranteed the top four spots, people will still choose between them on the basis of the song. They also give small scores to non-neighbouring countries, probably on merit, and these add up. So it balances out, more or less, maybe, I hope.

... They should enact a law in Eurovision where a country is forbidden to vote for its neighbouring countries, or for the countries of the majority immigrants, or something like that. Maybe we would see a real contest then :-

A real contest? What for? :p

I've heard better singing, for the most part, by drunk patrons in fake Irish pubs on a dodgy karaoke night.

I think Eurovision serves a much better purpose by measuring the relative popularity of countries by their neighbours; perhaps that might help us all avoid a major war in Europe this century. :(

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, the songs are done, voting's nearly finished too.

I voted for Malta.  Hard to say exactly why, but I liked it.

I liked Malta too, she had by far the best voice.

Especially when you consider the others didn't really use their voices for good...

Norway mananged to make me feel embarrased in their place.

Belgium's 'romantic' singstar didn't even manage to get past the semi-finals.

Well, at least I pride myself with the thought he didn't sing off key that much...

Greetings,

Saraya

Especially when you consider the others didn't really use their voices for good...

Well, at least I pride myself with the thought he didn't sing off key that much...

Salt of the Earth, the Maltese; only country with a George Cross.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Salt of the Earth, the Maltese; only country with a George Cross.

George Cross? Sorry if I sound tremendously stupid now (I'm not th

It's a medal for bravery, usually awarded to heroic civilians (Britain's highest civilian award, I think). It was awarded to the entire island of Malta for resisting German attacks under siege during the Second World War.

There are strong historical links between the UK and Malta, one reason why they were one of only three countries to award us any points in the contest tonight. If it weren't for political voting, the UK would have 'nil points'.

Thanks to both Metadigital and SteveThaiBinh!

I understand now :D

Well, my 'award 'guess wasn't that far off then :-

Greetings,

Saraya.

Ps: Indeed, nearly every country votes politically. Even Belgium and the Netherlands...should they have been in the finals...

Poor Ukranian president tho, to think the man didn't look that bad roughly a year ago...:p

Thanks to both Metadigital and SteveThaiBinh!

I understand now :D

Well, my 'award 'guess wasn't that far off then :-

Ps: Indeed, nearly every country votes politically. Even Belgium and the Netherlands...should they have been in the finals...

Poor Ukranian president tho, to think the man didn't look that bad roughly a year ago...:p

Don't ever be afraid to ask a question: it is much better to appear foolish and ask a question now than try to akeep face and be a fool forever. :( We all didn't know about Malta and George Crosses before we asked, for example, so everyone has to follow the same procedure.

As for Viktor Yushchenko, I wonder if Leonid Kuchma has read / watched The Young Poisoner's Handbook ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Don't ever be afriad to ask a question: it is much better to appear foolish and ask a question now than try to akeep face and be a fool forever. :-  We all didn't know about Malta and George Crosses before we asked, for example, so everyone has to follow the same procedure.

As for Viktor Yushchenko, I wonder if Leonid Kuchma has read / watched The Young Poisoner's Handbook ...

Thanks, that's a comforting thought I must say. I'm going to remember that one.:D

And as for the second comment. Awtch! :p but true. :D

Goodnight,

Saraya

Romania was third :p" ..with a crap band and a lousy singer :-

Moldova should have won..they sound better in Romanian tho :cool:

Zdob&Zdub have some good songs...never listened to this one :">

They should have won :D

Figured, Denmark and Norway gave eachother 12 as always ;)

Sweden however, well they just didn't do very well. Norway only gave them 1, which is very unusual. (w00t)

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Phhh, that pansy only made it through our nationals because he had really really hot background dancers.

..and Denmarks contribution was just.. awful.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "