Eurovision Song Contest

SteveThaiBinh

The final of the Eurovision Song Contest has just started in Kiev. The world's greatest cultural festival, twenty-four weird incomprehensible songs followed by two hours of politicised voting, as each country votes for its friends and against its historical enemies. Is there anything more bizarrely wonderful?

What do you think of this year's entrants? And who are you voting for?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Quite simply...

...none of them!

Reasons:

1) I think the Eurovision is utter garbage.

2) Britian did so crap last year, and being British, that doesn't make me happy.

3) I don't like pop music, and if they ever show any other music, then sorry, but I only like rock and metal.

4) I'm a lazy S.O.B.

5) I'm me...which means I'm lazy.

This isn't directed at the topic starter, i'm just voicing my opnion.

Of course Britain does crap, no-one likes us! Every year the sad British commentators tell us that our song is clearly the best, it's just these nasty foreigners and their political voting that denies us our deserved victory.

I liked the Eastern European songs last year - more folk than pop, a lot of them.

Lets see, Denmark, Norway and Sweden are all there.

I say Denmark gives Norway 12, Norway gives Denmark 12, Sweden gives either Denmark or Norway 12 and 10.. They, in turn, both give Sweden 10. Isn't that how it usually is, or does Sweden also get a 12 now and then?

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Wouldn't it be better if Norway gave Denmark 12, Denmark gave Sweden 12, Sweden gave Norway 12, Norway gave Sweden 10, Sweden gave Denmark 10, and Denmark gave Norway 10?

Eveyone would have 22.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Lets see, Denmark, Norway and Sweden are all there.

I say Denmark gives Norway 12, Norway gives Denmark 12, Sweden gives either Denmark or Norway 12 and 10.. They, in turn, both give Sweden 10. Isn't that how it usually is, or does Sweden also get a 12 now and then?

Norway's entry (number 5) was some glam rock song with lyrics "Come on \ Come on \ Come on \ Come on \ Coooooooooooooome on \ Come on!"

So looks like your scores will hold true! :thumbsup:

I quite liked number 4, the Romanian entry (lots of that "Stomp" style dustbinlid-smacking noise making percussion and some little short-curly-dark-haired chanteuse belting out "Please let me ...!". I'm sure I spotted Baley as one of the percussionists: the blonde haired guy with the power saw ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Moldova's "Granny bangs her drum" has to be the best Eurovision Song ever!

Yep, I think she might have my vote.

Mr Cyprus seems to have taken dance routine from Justin Timberlake's choreographer. Doesn't look like Terry Wogan will get his wish to go to a beach next year ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, Norways 80ish German rock thingie is really funny. But I really hate the Danish contribution, it's really embarrasing.

However, I enjoy songs that stay true to their national roots, singing in their own languages is definately a plus for me. I'm also somewhat fond of oriental tunes. ^_^

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Moldova's "Granny bangs her drum" has to be the best Eurovision Song ever!

But when they go from english to whatever russky language they speak, it sound like he's just making up random gibberish that rhymes.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I think we Swedes should have been disqualified for not only haiving a competing song about something so blatantly non-european, and also for hiring not ONE but TWO washed up US artists to compete in our national semifinals.

(It was Bonnie Tyler or someone like that, and a black woman I didnt recognize)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I think we Swedes should have been disqualified for not only haiving a competing song about something so blatantly non-european, and also for hiring not ONE but TWO washed up US artists to compete in our national semifinals.

Was that the one about Las Vegas? It was a bit out of place. What was that guy, Swedish-American? Or just some random guy they found?

It can be a bit hard to listen to some songs that switch between English and another language - sometimes your listening to a song an the accent is so unfamiliar it takes a while to realise that part of it is in English at all.

No, he's Swedish through and through as are the songwriters. There's really no explanation about it other than that "monaco, monaco" didnt sound so good to sing.

I had real problems with the ones who crossedover between languages, at times it sounded like they were just pretending to sing english without knowing any words, kind of like some japs do "rah rah rah rocknroll kraaah yah!" sort of

Indeed, they should just sing in their own languages, I never listen to lyrics half the time anyway. :D

Denmark is doing better than I expected though, I have no idea what they see in that song. :">

DENMARK!

The winning Greek singer was born in Sweden. Then again, the Swedish presenter was very cute ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The British commentator is complaining that the four major contributor countries to the Eurovision budget, France, Spain, Germany and the UK, are the four with the lowest scores.

Greece won!

No, he's Swedish through and through as are the songwriters. There's really no explanation about it other than that "monaco, monaco" didnt sound so good to sing.

I had real problems with the ones who crossedover between languages, at times it sounded like they were just pretending to sing english without knowing any words, kind of like some japs do "rah rah rah rocknroll kraaah yah!" sort of

It seems to be a European disease to have some sort of regurgitated US/UK Pop as the popular music for their countries (yes this means you France, Italy, Spain, etc).

At lesat the Italians did the honorable thing and retired from the contest years ago in protest of the total lack of musical merit ... then again I see the Eurovision as more a politcal barometer than a song contest. :p

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The winning Greek singer was born in Sweden.

She IS a swede, and a Swede wrote Latvia's contribution... and last year a Swede sang for Estonia. And as said, we imported american artists for our nationals.

This needs to stop. Whats the point of competing by country when everyone is singing/writing for everyone?! What if next year we Swedes win with an Italian song sung by a Canadian? Can it really be said that Sweden won if that happened?