Should there be finishing moves?

Should there be finishing moves like described below?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be finishing moves like described below?

• Hell Yeah!
    • That would be good.
    • Undecided/Don't Mind.
    • That would be bad.
    • AAWWW HELL NO!

This might get a bit detailed but please stick with with me. When you got your opponents health down low, you would be able to pull off a finishing move. They wouldn't be as likely to hit, does the same damage as a normal attack, but you get some extra XP, maybe 10% or whatever would work.

Your alignment decides what you can do. For lightsiders it would be something like chopping off an arm or leg, destroying their weapon etc. Basically disabling moves. If you are darkside then there will be some more execution/humiliation moves. Like decapitation, chopping them in half., or other painful stuff.

Also, what force powers you have would determine what you could do. Like if you had saber throw you could throw them in the air, then throw your lightsaber at them. Or if you had force choke then you could hold them in the air and while they're choking, chop off their head. Or if you have Force Speed then you do a sort of really fast charge, that looks a bit blurry.

It is not a foreign concept; many games (including PnP) include the option to name your target area to either trip or disable your opponent. I think it is a good idea; then again I think it is more than a little ridiculous for a LS exemplar to kill several hundred combatants when it is feasible to disable them instead.

Sure, let the DS players toast their opponents with lightning: but LS players should be comatosing their enemies and disarming them (even if that is literally :D ).

Extra XP for aiming to destroy the lightsaber in your opponents hand (naturally this would require a more difficult attack process and a smaller probability of success for the offensive move).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hell Yeah! indeed - I wanna chop off their legs too, watch them crawl around swinging their weapon at you .. har har :p

"Come back here and I'll gnaw your legs off!"

The enemies would have to be supercharged, since during late-game, you can kill virtually anyone in 1-2 rounds.

That's the point: it makes the fight more difficult because you have to target a specific spot (it's called "named shot" in NwN, for example, and there is an additional "to hit" score rolled to calculate the attempted precision).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hell Yeah! indeed - I wanna chop off their legs too, watch them crawl around swinging their weapon at you .. har har :p

"Come back here and I'll gnaw your legs off!"

The enemies would have to be supercharged, since during late-game, you can kill virtually anyone in 1-2 rounds.

That's the point: it makes the fight more difficult because you have to target a specific spot (it's called "named shot" in NwN, for example, and there is an additional "to hit" score rolled to calculate the attempted precision).

Wasn;y it mentoined that the enemy would have to be at, say, 10% HP for a targeted strike to occur. ISnce technically your oppennt would be quite dead by that point. Also, its probable you wouldn't recall to utilize it. ANd it may become tedious after your 1000th kill.

This would be extremely hard in an RPG but I think it can be done

Um, I'm not sure what you mean: it's only ever been done in RPGs, e.g. Neverwinter Night. It's just an additional To Hit score, similar to a magic resistance calculation before the effects of a, say, a fireball spell on a d

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Wasn't it mentoined that the enemy would have to be at, say, 10% HP for a targeted strike to occur? Since technically your oppennt would be quite dead by that point.

No. You can target the left/right arm / leg at any point in the game; criticals generally refer to head shots (of those opponents with heads); it just requires you to check the attempt versus the probability for the character (friend or foe) to be successful.

Also, its probable you wouldn't recall to utilize it. ANd it may become tedious after your 1000th kill.

Well, if you are a LS character and you run around killing opponents arbitrarily then you should be rewarded with Dark Side points; that way you will either remember to treat combat as a last resort -- and the sanctity of life as paramount -- or you will fall to the Dark Side. And How much more tedious would it be than to kill every enemy within two rounds?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think what you are refering to has been done in Jedi Acdemy. In the demo at least when you killed a jedi with a light saber it slowed the game down and you got to see their limbs fly off while there light saber deactivates and falls to the ground. I liked it a lot and would like to see it in Kotor.

However, it should be kept seperate from any sort of call shot feature. Maybe if the opponents health is less than 10% and you get a critical that or a roll that would finish them off in one move you get a slowed down cinimatic dismemberment. That way it wouldn't happen to often to become repeditive.

I my self am a little indifferent to the call shot concept. It could be implemented but I don't think it would fit in to Kotor to easily.

I have to say I also like the idea of the finishing move being related to the force powers you have.

Oh yes... leave me in a room with Kreia and a lightsaber and we'll see if she's still complaining about that hand... >_<

Brilliant idea, I'm not sure how exactly they would pull it off, but I'm sure they could.

sig2.gif

Doesn't sound like it would really fit into place for a Star Wars RPG of all things! >_<

Maybe if you played as a sith, but otherwise...

Don't forget that the Jedi are always cutting bits of people in the movies. Normally just arms, etc. of droids but there are a few instances when limbs are accidentally... misplaced!

Great idea. And, as metadigital suggested, there should be an option for a Lightsider to disarm/disable the opponent instead of killing.

I had a lot of fun Mind Tricking my opponents (therefore converting them into temporary allies). Why should I be the one to kill everyone? :ninja: