I Saw Episode 3

Bokishi

Except that children of Jedi are always Force sensitive.

I don't think that's true. At least not in the EU. And if it was, everyone in the galaxy would end up being Force sensitive, considering that the children of non-Force sensitive can be so.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I just saw Ep 3 with a friend and it was pretty good. It made me feel all nostalgic inside and I wanted to go home and watch the OT again.

Possible Spoilers Below

I'll probably end up just rambling so bear with me.

I was dissapointed that some main scenes that should have been in the movie were not there. Perhaps not all the scenes Nur mentioned, but Yoda landing on Dantooine and the appearance of Qui Gon would have made the film better at the end. I was hoping for Qui Gon to imply that Anakin WAS the chosen one despite his actions. An argument between a despairing Obiwan and a calm Qui Gon right at the end would have been nice.

I liked the lightsaber combat a lot. You could tell the actors, especially Hayden Christensen and Ewan Mcgregor, put a lot of effort into practicing. The movements were reminiscent of some Chinese swordplay were the sword is kept close to the body in defense.

I was a little dissapointed in Anakin's fall to the darkside as a lot of people seem to be. However, considering the fact that he had just helped a Dark Lord of the Sith kill a Jedi Master as well as his desperation to keep Padme alive, he must have considered it the only path he could take. As mstormrage mentioned, Anakin's ego, his previous indulgence in the dark side, his disdain for endless debate and deliberation and his quest for power all led him down the dark path.

Anakin was a control freak. He also loved those dear to him, sometimes to the extreme. He couldn't bear the loss, even the thought of the loss of anyone close to him. He most likely had high expectations of himself, with everyone telling him he's the Chosen One in addition to all his abilties. No doubt he felt if someone he cared for died, it was his failure. It was his failure to protect them. This was his greatest fear, and the main reason for his fall. His desire to rule the galaxy was just an extension to control everything about him.

Plus he was young and not yet wise, controlled by his passions and ego

But I'm sure I'm just saying stuff everyone already knows :thumbsup:

This misguided love Anakin/Vader holds is how he is redeemed at the end of RotJ.

I was wondering during the movie if Anakin's birth was the product of a Sith Plot? Sidious does say that Darth Plageus was so powerful that he could manipulate midichlorians to create life. This sounds like the birth of Anakin to me. Whether this is jut another lie by Sidious to entice Anakin with the possibilty of saving Padme, or a veiled truth I'm not sure. If as another poster said, that Sidious was the one projecting the images into Anakin's dreams he could have also manipulated other events to bring about Anakin's birth and subsequent fall, all right under the Jedis' noses under the guise of the Chosen One prophecy. The Sith would no doubt take great pleasure in the Jedi being betrayed and murdered by the very one they thought would bring balance. If so I guess the jokes on them because Anakin does end up fulfilling the prophecy. The Force works in mysterious ways.

Also I always though the dark side brought about the physical deformities the Sith seemingly suffered. The white pasty wrinkled skin, yellow eyes and the general debilitation of the body. It seems that this isn't the case. Obviously lightning brings about such defigurations. Dooku and Maul didn't have those deformities come to think of it. I loved the face-off(literally) between Mace and Sidious. I guess Mace was the best jedi combatant during that era. He did smack Sidious around good. Or was this just another planned move by Sidious to lure Anakin to the point of no return....Ahhh!

One more thing before I go to sleep. Sidious mentions that the Sith will rule the galaxy once more. Did the Sith ever rule the galaxy? I think the Empire in the first for them. I mean they always seemed to collapse right before they set up any form of stable government. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, I loved the movie!

Some random feelings about episode 3:

* The opening sequence was great - that first long, long shot follwing the two ships through the battle was amazing - I wish more directors would try this technique sometimes over the rapid-cut/shaky cam look so prevalent today.

* Funniest bit was when Anakin sliced off both of Dooku's arms and then later said "I shouldn't have killed him - he was an unarmed prisoner."

* I thought Grevious was pretty good - the four lightsabers were pretty impressive.

* Interesting to hear that Darth Palgueis (Sideous' teacher) could "create life" with midichlorins - could it be that Anakin of the immaculate conception was just long-term Sith planning?

* Best death for me was Mace Windu - that was great the way you could see his skull frying from Sideous' lightning. :thumbsup:

* I nominate "younglings" as the stupidist name ever - they should have just called them "Baby-Jedi" and be done with it.

* The whole switch to the dark side seemed to sudden for me - perhaps if Lucas hadn't wasted an entire movie with Jar Jar and baby Anakin we could have seen Anakin secretly training under Sideous rather than the quick reversal from holding a lightsaber to his throat to kneeling before him.

* I didn't find the final light-saber fight too spectacular - and I kept wishing they had different coloured lightsabers so I could tell them apart more easily. Sadly after six films I still have to give the award for best lightsaber battle to Qui-Jon/Obi-wan and Darth Maul in Episode I!

* I actually enjoyed the beginning half of the film more than the ending - watching Palpatine tempting and manipulating Anakin was rather fun.

Overall it was ok - I found the last half of AOTC more viscerally thrilling than the climax of ROTS, but I'll probably see it again this week to catch any details I missed on the first look.

As I walked out of the film I was tempted to do a Homer and say "Who would have thought that Palpatine was Sideous?" but strangely decided against it.

* The whole switch to the dark side seemed to sudden for me - perhaps if Lucas hadn't wasted an entire movie with Jar Jar and baby Anakin we could have seen Anakin secretly training under Sideous rather than the quick reversal from holding a lightsaber to his throat to kneeling before him.

I find dark side seduction from Jedi Academy more interesting - when Kyp secretly takes lessons from Exar Kun on alchemy, sith magic and lightsaber under the very nose of Luke, and finally we have a fight of these two.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Just one thing: did anybody else cheer when they heard:

"Where's the body?"

"Then he's not dead!"

I did -- finally, somebody that has figured that out!

Rarely do we get common sense out of Star Wars.

Cloris

(quotes are approximate)

"Just one thing: did anybody else cheer when they heard:

"Where's the body?"

"Then he's not dead!"

I did -- finally, somebody that has figured that out!

Rarely do we get common sense out of Star Wars."

Actually, not really fair to just blame SW for this. Almsot any movie, book, or tv show that a body goes missing; the eprson is presume dead and 9 out of 10 times they aren't. It's so common that now if a body goes missing; I always presume they're alive.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Actually, not really fair to just blame SW for this. Almsot any movie, book, or tv show that a body goes missing; the eprson is presume dead and 9 out of 10 times they aren't. It's so common that now if a body goes missing; I always presume they're alive.

Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like it was an SW-exclusive pet peeve of mine, it certainly is not! Joss Whedon earned my respect when his characters wouldn't call someone dead unless there was a body (or pile of ash) to confirm it and even then they knew it could be iffy. But SW was one of the last places I expected to hear such a solid, common sense thing, that much is certain! :o

Good point,

Cloris

Actually, I didn't eman to siund like I was accusing you. I was just bringing up a funny point about 'dead' characters in entertainment. Your post just remidned me of that fact. Good on E3 for not doing the 'ol; 'he fell down a big hole so he must be dead ; but he's not syndrome.'

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I was wondering during the movie if Anakin's birth was the product of a Sith Plot? Sidious does say that Darth Plageus was so powerful that he could manipulate midichlorians to create life. This sounds like the birth of Anakin to me. Whether this is jut another lie by Sidious to entice Anakin with the possibilty of saving Padme, or a veiled truth I'm not sure. If as another poster said, that Sidious was the one projecting the images into Anakin's dreams he could have also manipulated other events to bring about Anakin's birth and subsequent fall, all right under the Jedis' noses under the guise of the Chosen One prophecy. The Sith would no doubt take great pleasure in the Jedi being betrayed and murdered by the very one they thought would bring balance. If so I guess the jokes on them because Anakin does end up fulfilling the prophecy. The Force works in mysterious ways.

I immediately thought that was the implication of Palpatine's revelation that midichlorians could be manipulated to create life. I don't believe that Anakin knew or was told that his mother conceived "by the force". I rather doubt that Lucas would have slipped this in there unless he meant for the audience to grasp this conclusion. :)

Actually, I didn't eman to siund like I was accusing you. I was just bringing up a funny point about 'dead' characters in entertainment. Your post just remidned me of that fact. Good on E3 for not doing the 'ol; 'he fell down a big hole so he must be dead ; but he's not syndrome.'

Well...Obi-Wan fell down a big hole of sorts into a lake, and the clones said "No one could have survived that fall". So some of the characters in EpIII did do the 'ol 'he fell down a big hole so he must be dead ; but he's not syndrome.'

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Well...Obi-Wan fell down a big hole of sorts into a lake, and the clones said "No one could have survived that fall".  So some of the characters in EpIII did do the 'ol 'he fell down a big hole so he must be dead ; but he's not syndrome.'

Teehee! It was nice to see one character not fall for it, though.

Cloris

I went to the matinee to see EP3 again yesterday (5bux, 5bux, 5bux) and for some reason I can't help laughing my ass off during the opening scene when Obi & Ani are about to fly into Grevious' ship and Obi-Wan is like' Did you notice the sheild generators are still up!?!'. I know a lot of people don't care for Ewan MacGregor in these films, but I really like his take on Kenobi.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

To the thing about Leaigh and Padme...its so obvious lol....

You guys arent thinking on this one...I had a hard time with it until my friend explained it to me to, so listen...its almost too simple...

Leiagh did not know she was adopted...she was talking about bail organas wife, as her real mother....Luke was raised by his uncle yes, but Leaigh didnt know that the organas werent her real parents....even when Luke knew and was asking....

so she remembers Bails wife, who died when she was a young kid....not padme who died at childbirth...

Well, considering Leia was perfectly white and the Organas were perfectly hispanic, I don't believe for a second that Leia looked at them and believed they were her biological parents.

The problem is Lucas has been making up this story as he's gone along. When he came up with the story for ROTJ he had no idea what Luke and Leia's true back story was. He only had a general, vague idea but nothing concrete. And Lucas said so himself. During Celebration III a month ago or so, there was a Q&A session where a fan apparently had the cajones to ask Lucas why the OT was so good and interesting and the prequels weren't.

Lucas' response was that only about 10% of the original backstory that was in his treatment (outline) for ANH was in TPM and AOTC. Everything else was completely made up. However, nearly 60% of that story is being seen in ROTS. But even alot of that was still made up because the actual telling of the story had yet to be worked out.

The same thing goes for the Threepio creation inconsistency. When Lucas was working on the OT, he had no idea where the droids really came from. He made all that up in 1994 when he started writing the script for Episode I. Everything that you are seeing now in Ep 3 was made up over the last couple years or so. At least in terms of the actual details of the story.

The concept may have been written up nearly 30 years ago, but the actual story wasn't developed until just recently.

So, yes, Leia having some memory of her mom is a bit of an inconsistency. But at this point, who cares?

All they'd have to do is ask R2 :D

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Hihihihi..

I think that "Noooo" wont make it to the DVD

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The main problem, I think, is that before starting work on the prequel trilogy George Lucas simply got confused. Instead of showing the public how the super-villain Darth Vader came to be, he's made a series of films describing the origin of Dark Helmet of 'Spaceballs' fame. Think about it, pathetic guy in a very similar suit, plays with dolls, etc. I think it's the only plausible explanation. Georgie saw Spaceballs in the late 80s and found the black-clad figure so resemblant to his own that he could not tell them apart, and thus put the wrong one into the prequel trilogy. Eh?

Except that children of Jedi are always Force sensitive.

I don't think that's true. At least not in the EU. And if it was, everyone in the galaxy would end up being Force sensitive, considering that the children of non-Force sensitive can be so.

No, no, no my dear Numberman - the converse isn't necessarily true. Of course non-Force sensitive people may have Force sensitive children, but Force-Sensitive people will always have Force Sensitve children - it's just that Jedi tend not to have children due to their beliefs. :blink:

manthing2.jpg

"Merchandising! Where the real money from the movie is made!" - Yogurt

Ah, I love Spaceballs.  :blink:

I heard a rumour that Brooks is thinking of making a spoof of the Prequels...

Imagine it, "Spaceballs 0.5"... Who wouldn't love it. :ermm:

Wishful thinking ?

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.