I Saw Episode 3

Bokishi

Was I the only one utterly disappointed by this movie? The acting and dialogue was as abysmal as ever, and Anakin Skywalker's descent to the dark side and ultimate transformation into Darth Vader was entirely implausible. There was no hook. Palpatine just says, "Aww, come on!" and Skywalker gives in. He readily turns his back on the Jedi Council, Obi-wan, the Republic, and ultimately Padme, and for what...? Natalie Portman? I really figured it would have taken her death, not the possibility of death, to push Anakin over the edge. A better writer could have made his fall to the dark side much more convincing.

Utterly disapointing no. But close. I will rate it 3/6 or perhaps 3/5. But I absolut agree with your point above.

Like:

Palp:"Join me.."

Ani(because is it sooo cute..bleh): "Who me?

Palp: "Yes you! Jedi=baaad, Me=goood! Join me!"

Ani: "Oh ok."

There are no spark between Hayden / Natalie. Never were.

I think you've got to remember that this is a prequel to the OT and therefore will never be able to compare to it since the OT meant so much to so many people...

I'm going to see it June 3rd and I'm going to go in with low expectations, so I wont be disappointed, I mean thats how I managed to cope with Episode 1 and 2... :thumbsup:

DL

P.S. That was my two cents... :thumbsup:

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

The dialog between Anakin and Padme was actually so bad it was funny (at first anyway... then it got slightly better, though not much). In fact there were a couple scenes where it was so bad that the guy sitting next to me and I were giggling uncontrollably. And of course that "Noooooo!" a la "Stellaaaaa!!!" on Darth Vader's part at the end was beyond lame... not to mention the recycled dialog from other movies/games. Anakin saying "I have a bad feeling about this" made me chuckle.

But leaving out those parts, I thought the movie was awesome. There were two instances in the movie where I actually got teary-eyed, which is a first for me for any SW movie.

So yeah, all in all, REALLY happy with the movie. And hopefully when I do go see it again with my friends, who I was supposed to see it with first, but who didn't want to go opening week, I can pretend it's completely new again. "OMG! Anakin

kills off all those kids in the temple!

I totally didn't see that coming. It's horrifying. HORRIFYING, I say!"

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

Atton's Motivation July 30: CHAPTER 26 is up!

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

Can i just ask why people who are star wars fans are always moaning about the movies and games?

They get tickets for the first days it is open at the cinema and then come on here and say the acting is terrible. It was such a good movie finally showing us how he became darth vader. So what is some of the dialogue was cheesey. The film is great and i would say 1st or a close 2nd to ROTJ in the star wars saga. I know people are intitled to their own oppinion but what is the point in critisizing everything and still calling yourself a fan? Just had to get that off my chest.

Its just nostalgia for me. I dont think any of the films are good, actually. Atleast not in the way you would judge any other film. But I was exposed to Star Wars as a 5yearold and its been there ever since. Everyone loved it, only He-Man rivalled it. I really liked Akira Kurosawa's RAN also but none of my friends had seen it there were no Hidetora action figures around.

star wars is like crack. bad, but you like it nontheless.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

C'mon guys, we're all been waitin for this for years since the episode IV, to find out all the facts, I liked it all, Hayden was very good, liked his acting in the ep.II also, don't know why ppl critisize his acting or they just hate the character he acts, very good but I wanted more, I hope there will be an extended versionon DVD soon :thumbsup:

Just saw it last night. The movie was incredible. I found it disturbing that Vader killed all those little children though. I liked the fact that almost the whole movie was filled with battles and lightsaber duels. And the movie really showed how much Obi-Wan kicks ass, as well as yoda :thumbsup: 10/10 for me.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

Was I the only one utterly disappointed by this movie? The acting and dialogue was as abysmal as ever, and Anakin Skywalker's descent to the dark side and ultimate transformation into Darth Vader was entirely implausible. There was no hook. Palpatine just says, "Aww, come on!" and Skywalker gives in. He readily turns his back on the Jedi Council, Obi-wan, the Republic, and ultimately Padme, and for what...? Natalie Portman? I really figured it would have taken her death, not the possibility of death, to push Anakin over the edge. A better writer could have made his fall to the dark side much more convincing.

Predictable, generic plotting, bad dialogue, poor acting and lack of directorial insight?

Sounds like a Star Wars movie.

Really, anyone who is surprised or disappointed by the presence of bad dialogue and acting in Star Wars must be looking for something other than the series that goes by that name.

Me, I'm not surprised. I didn't watch the original Star Wars movies until early adulthood. Quite enjoyed them, but could recognise that they didn't really have anything to say, and that acting and writing were blatantly evident weak points.

As far as I can tell, from my nostalgia-free point of view, there has never been a Star Wars movie with an overall high quality of dialogue writing and acting.

Not even ESB.

Somehow, the pulp-sci-fi-fantasy formula coheres in a way that often lets people look past the many weak points in the movies and that's terrific. But expecting those weak points to be absent even in this above par grand finale to the series is just unrealistic.

As a consequence of this generally cynical outlook, I didn't hold a particularly negative opinion of either Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones. Both seemed like reasonable sci-fi fantasy with some fairly goofy aspects. But with no rose-tinted nostalgic impression of the original trilogy to influence my opinion, those failings came as no real surprise. And so I was able to enjoy both movies for what they were. It's funny that a non-fan should have enjoyed the first two in the new series so much more than the genuine fans of the series, but I'm fairly certain that's how things played out. My expectations were never set sky-high. Actually, they weren't particularly high at all. So when I came out of the Phantom Menace on opening day, I felt satisfied that I'd experienced a pretty worthwhile high-budget, effects-heavy pulp fantasy flick, which was what I had set out to do. Meanwhile, around me, I found the Star Wars fans fuming, because some seem to have gone in expecting Shakespeare which George Lucas is not, and has never been.

This phenomenon has settled down, as the new trology progressed, with fan expectations sinking lower and lower. At last, with ROTS, fans seem for the most part to have assumed a realistic outlook on both the new trilogy and the old, and have gone in expecting something closer to what Star Wars really is and has always been. Certainly, ROTS has been an improvement on the previous two flicks, but I think an equally major change which is boosting fan response is just the more realistic position that if Lucas so much as manages mediocre dialogue and tolerable acting, he's done pretty well for himself. Nothing like low expectations to make for positive reviews.

A few observations:

* Obi Wan doesn't age well at all (between Ep.3 and Ep. 4)

* Was Padme still pregnant

during her funeral

?

* Would have been nice to have seen more than a

cameo of Chewbacca.

* Jar Jar

DOESN'T SAY ONE WORD!

:D

Overall, it was a decent film. It could have been much better if someone other than Lucas had directed it. That, IMO, was the saving grace of ESB and ROTJ, but it's his baby....

Will probably watch it again before it leaves the theatres for good.

Color me unimpressed.

It started fairly strong, then Dooku steps on screen in a neutered form. He is made from a fairly imposing figure in 2 to a soft old man in 3. Grievous is much more entertaining in the cartoon, much more.

The droids in these movies are nothing more than looney toons. The emperor went from being insidious to a cacklefiend, which was most disappointing. Of all the characters of the movies, I thought he had the most promise, but Lucas managed to bungle, even that.

Anakin's fall was laughable. The only thing that kept me in my seat for this movie was the hope it would improve and the dumbfounding action. About halfway through the movie I switched my brain off, and just sat back to watch the special effects and imagine a plot that was less contrived, which is probably what half the "fans" do anyway.

*shrugs* Americana at its finest.

After giving birth the belly doesnt shrink back down to normal straight away and Padme had to look for pregnant for nobody to realise she had given birth.

I too was disappointed with Greivous - i guess that is what happens when the voice acting is done by a sound guy.

@Yst,

Okay, I'll grant you that even the original trilogy can barely stand on its own three legs as being considered "good" movies, but they're still vastly superior to Lucas' latest crop. The OT had some genuinely memorable characters, good acting (Harrison Ford, anyone?), humor that didn't have to cater to a prepubescent audience, and an at least passable storyline, all of which I attribute to Lucas' acknowledgement that he wasn't/isn't a sufficiently talented writer/director to take on the telling of his story alone.

The entire prequel trilogy is riddled with laughably bad dialogue (delivered even more so), unnecessary exposition, and a completely unconvincing story arc. Even the special effects, which are heralded as being Ep3's saving grace, are mired by muddy choreography that flies by so fast you can't possibly follow what's going on.

Lucas botched just about every major fight scene. Count Dooku? He spews a few lines and is then promptly defeated and killed. Obi-wan and Grevious? I'm really not sure how Lucas managed to make a lightsaber duel with a droid capable of wielding four at once so uninteresting. Mace Windu and Sidious... Yoda and Sidious... Obi-wan and Anakin... all suffer from lackluster sword play. The fight between Obi and Ani at the end of the movie dragged uneventfully on and on until Obi-wan finally arbitrarily declares that he has the "high ground," and this is supposed to explain why he's about to win. Does Lucas really have so little faith in his audience's capacity that he feels it necessary to beat us over the head with this kind of needless explanation?

Probably the movie's greatest failure, though, is that it reduces one of cinema's greatest villains to a whiney brat. The scene with Darth Vader, having at last donned his trademark life support suit, stomping along like Frankenstein and bellowing "No" just made me shake my head in disgust.

I'm ranting now, but I guess I am just kind of pissed off that these movies sucked so bad. It's a silly thing to get all bent out of shape about, but, well... damn it!

Anakin is a ****. Sion had less of him left and he kept moving without a suit. :thumbsup:

Anakin and Obi-Wan's duel - wow, that was some good stuff. It was so darned fast. They were moving like Grievous without having spinning arms.

That lizard thing Obi-Wan rode was so cool. I want one for a pet.

People hate Jar Jar so much they ignore him. I've heard so many people say he doesn't even have one line. He does. As the delegates are walking together, he steps on someones foot and says 'exqueeze me'. Just makes me so much more convinced Star Wars fans only see what they want to see - especially the ones who focus on the negative.

Anakin is a ****. Sion had less of him left and he kept moving without a suit.  :thumbsup:

Anakin and Obi-Wan's duel - wow, that was some good stuff. It was so darned fast. They were moving like Grievous without having spinning arms.

That lizard thing Obi-Wan rode was so cool. I want one for a pet.

People hate Jar Jar so much they ignore him. I've heard so many people say he doesn't even have one line. He does. As the delegates are walking together, he steps on someones foot and says 'exqueeze me'. Just makes me so much more convinced Star Wars fans only see what they want to see - especially the ones who focus on the negative.

:shifty:

He NEVER said 'exqueeze me'! Did he? I don't remember even seeing him anywhere but the funeral. :D

manthing2.jpg

As Naboo is inhabited by two intelligent species (humans and Gungans), it seems only right that each has a representative. Whether Jar-Jar was the best choice is up to debate. (w00t)

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Thanks arch.  :thumbsup:

Whether Jar-Jar was the best choice is up to debate.  (w00t)

(w00t)

(w00t)

1057.jpg"Why do I get the feeling that we've picked up another pathetic life form?"

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

cpsig3.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

lol @ Lucius.  :thumbsup:

^_^

I always wanted Obi to swing his saber at Jar Jar, but alas.

Speaking of Obi, can anyone identify the face on this Obi?

donobiwankenobi.jpg

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.