homosexuality in RPGs

Aniki

There seems to be frequent opinions on the stance of homosexuality in video games. There are some who are completely against the idea of having any homosexual option of any kind like we have seen in some of the games of late. There are also those that are totally in favor of it the reason being that any person should be able to have the freedom to play a character just like him/her, so therefore a person should be able to pursue a homosexual option however not in support of homosexuality but just to give more realistic freedom to gamers who want more options. I personally don

Where do we draw the line? Uh, we don't have to draw any lines. The law is quite clear on where the line is. Homosexuality is not a crime, pedophilia (is that a word?) is. And I absolutely hate when people mention homosexuality in almost the same sentence as pedophilia, as if they were somehow connected.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I say we close this thread now before it gets off the ground. There was a previous thread about this, and it ended up being a war zone.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

Hmm...

I am unsure as to the law in the west, but I think having a pedophile option in a computer game would get it banned faster than you could blink, or at the very least give the anti-gamers all the ammunition they would need to cause an apocalyptic shoot out.

I see what your saying about cold-blooded murder being "ok" but pedophilia being "taboo", but I don't really want games to make a point of pushing the moral envelop. The fact that you could violently physically beat a divorce out of your partner in Fable was too much, in my opinion. I don't want things like torture, rape etc, in my games, thanks.

I absolutely hate when people mention homosexuality in almost the same sentence as pedophilia, as if they were somehow connected.

Yes I worried about that too. Its more a case of unrestrained sexual fantasys leading to pedophilia, which is the case for people of any sexual preference.

Pedophilia is just too distasteful, a little bit of necrophilistic action would be though.

1. Oh, a dead body? I wonder what killed him?

2. Who left this garbage lying around? Minions! Clean up!!

3. Oooh, what do we have here? [Make love to dead body]

:D

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Heh. Considering RPGs often include having the PC being able to mass murder amonsgt other heinous cromes; they should be allow to evil and twisted enough tdo pedophile stuff as the character.

On top of that, homosexuality is a whole different issue as it's neither a crime; nor do I feel it's immoral.. And, thsoe who do are the ones who need help. :(

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Paedophillia should not be in real life IMO never mind a video game, it is a disgusting crime and can wreck a childs very soul to the core.

Fair enough killing is also a disgusting crime that shouldn't happen but at least its represented in games against adults who have some level of ability to protect themselves, a child doesn't have that luxury, and an option like this in a game would appeal to nobody but paedophiles, who deserve NOTHING but revultion.

A gay option IMO would not be represented well in a game it would most likely be a 'hairdresser' guild, or some other such stereotype, so no that shouldn't really be in if you ask me.

And now it starts...........

But do you think placing a homosexual relationship in the Star Wars universe would be wise? Even though their was a hint of it in KOTOR I with Juhani. It seems like Star Wars is too innocent to have those kinds of options, you know what I mean?

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

"Fair enough killing is also a disgusting crime that shouldn't happen but at least its represented in games against adults who have some level of ability to protect themselves,"

That's right. Because no RPG has allowed noone to kill children. You lose. Whatever. :)

If handled maturely, it can be done right. Pehraps, the problem is that youa rne't mature enough to handle mature subjects in games. :)

It seems like Star Wars is too innocent to have those kinds of options, you know what I mean?

For something to be too innocent for homosexuality, you have to have the standpoint that its somehow morally questionable. It isnt! The only thing thats different about a gay relationship is that their of the same sex, nothing else. Homosexuality is not some kind of perversion.

some people are lefthanded, some are gay. same thing.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

"Fair enough killing is also a disgusting crime that shouldn't happen but at least its represented in games against adults who have some level of ability to protect themselves,"

That's right. Because no RPG has allowed  noone to kill children. You lose. Whatever. :)

If handled maturely, it can be done right. Pehraps, the problem is that youa rne't mature enough to handle mature subjects in games. :)

Killing a child/Wanting to kill a child (even if it is in game) is mature? Then I guess your right, I'm not mature, or ever want to be in fact :)

But do you think placing a homosexual relationship in the Star Wars universe would be wise? Even though their was a hint of it in KOTOR I with Juhani. It seems like Star Wars is too innocent to have those kinds of options, you know what I mean?

If you say you don't think homosexuality should be in games, you're a homophobe...

If you say you think homosexuality should be in games, you're immoral...

You just can't win sometimes...but yes, I know what you mean. Besides, Lesbian relationships in games seem primarily designed to cater to 14-year-old boys, not explore a mature sexuality theme...

No, dealing with the issue of the morlaity (or alck thereof) killing a child is what's mature. Dealing witht he situation relaistically, and with class isnetad of just trying to bury it and pretend it doens't happen is what's immature.

Closing your eyes doesn't make it go ahead.

Perhaps, you should avoid JE which deals with situations like this. It's too bad you ain't mature enough to handle games like that. And, avoid FO too while you are it. :)

I don't see why it wouldn't work. No...really I have no idea how it wouldn't work...unless the people writing the romance decided to make it stupidly stereotypical...or they just could NOT write romance in general.... :)

some people are lefthanded, some are gay. same thing. 

But I'm righthanded... :)

The Big Green is hovering...

I just don't want to spend my leisure time dwelling on the darkside of human nature...I have to deal with that at work everyday...I was very disappointed with how dark Fable was...I just want a good old-fashioned happy-ending adventure story, not some psychopathic thriller.

No, dealing with the issue of the morlaity (or alck thereof) killing a child is what's mature. Dealing witht he situation relaistically, and with class isnetad of just trying to bury it and pretend it doens't happen is what's immature.

Closing your eyes doesn't make it go ahead.

Perhaps, you should avoid JE which deals with situations like this. It's too bad you ain't mature enough to handle games like that. And, avoid FO too while you are it. :)

Thanks, I will :)

And being mature doesn't come into it, if I want to hear about a child being killed, I simply switch on the news.

I could actually handle a game of that nature, I would simply find it in extreme bad taste. I do however have a 5 year old brother who I am very protective of, so maybe I am biased on this matter.

Now please don't think I am trying to start a flamewar with you here, I am simply stating my opinion on the subject, and I respect yours. :)

"I just don't want to spend my leisure time dwelling on the darkside of human nature...I have to deal with that at work everyday...I was very disappointed with how dark Fable was...I just want a good old-fashioned happy-ending adventure story, not some psychopathic thriller."

I cna understand this, and its ebst toa void those games if you so wish. No one forces you to play them - just like people aren't forced to watch movies where these darker things are shown...

As a side note, I watch soaps (OMG). The one I really enjoy is General Hospital. Right now, the major story is a sad, and dark one - a young boy just killed his biological father after months of emotional abuse. Very sad, but very mature subject matter. Many of my GH fans are so upset about this story they are whining and threatening to 'boycott' the show as they fele the subject matter is too dark. I say meh.

:)

"I do however have a 5 year old brother who I am very protective of, so maybe I am biased on this matter."

I have young epople in my life (many nephews and nieces) who I wouldn't wnat playing these types of games too; but I would think they wouldn't do. Games with such material arne't really for the youngsters...

"Now please don't think I am trying to start a flamewar with you here, I am simply stating my opinion on the subject, and I respect yours."

It's all good. :cool:

...I was very disappointed with how dark Fable was...I just want a good old-fashioned happy-ending adventure story, not some psychopathic thriller.

10042309.jpg

Me? Im just a happy little elf with a happy little axe *creepy giggle*

As a side note, I watch soaps (OMG). The one I really enjoy is General Hospital. Right now, the major story is a sad, and dark one - a young boy just killed his biological father after months of emotional abuse. Very sad, but very mature subject matter. Many of my GH fans are so upset about this story they are whining and threatening to 'boycott' the show as they fele the subject matter is too dark. I say meh.

A story like the one you outline here can be sad, and extremelly moving, (AKA a mature story, as you say) But IMHO the option to, hurt/abuse/kill children in a game yourself would add nothing. :)

couple thoughts...

one: why do you need any sexual option in a crpg? assuming we're referring to common formats (steampunk, fantasy, etc.) i see no real need to have homo or hetero relationships. they really weren't an issue until the BG2 "romances" and even then, they served little point. i think it makes more sense in a pnp atmosphere, but on a crpg the concept of "role playing" is weak anyway. i'd rather see a game put more focus into things that truly have meaning in the context of the game.

two: why would anyone sitting at home by themselves playing a computer game want a romance with an NPC in a crpg? the jaheira thing actually kinda bugged me.

three: keep in mind, implementing such options increase the complexity of scripting/dialog geometrically. there suddenly has to be various avenues for your PC to interact with just about everyone else. in the end, there's no real value added. again, i'd rather see a development team focus their engergies into something that really makes sense in the context of the game.

taks

comrade taks... just because.