New Lightsaber Technique

EU = Extended Universe

This is from the books, comics, cartoons, etc.

ah right

would be quite a lame technique lol, in the EU where and when was it used?

on the L shaped lightsaber... hmmm stupid idea, almost as bad the the invisible beam one >_<"

Yes I got kicked out of the Marine Corps, but it was with an uncharacterized discharge, which is neither honorable nor dishonorable. I'm still getting some compensation from the VA for it, but after 6 months it should be changed to Under Honorable Conditions.

Well with that aside, you got me there, mstormrage. I must admit you make some very good points. Congrats. :D But just one more thing: How did that Corran Horn guy in EU manage to pull off that feat if it took the plasma that long to activate? I haven't read that specific book nor do I know what book that he pulled off that feat is, so I don't know. Lightsaber activation certainly didn't seem to take that long in the movies.

Even if it was instantaneous (and I do beleive some lightsabers extend faster than others) They would just fight as if it was extended. What would be cool (but still not all-powerfull) would be to have a blaster attachment on the bottom of the lightsaber. It wouldn't necesarily be any better but it would make for some interesting saber duels.

You could have a computer-controlled activation, similar to a fuel injector in a motor vehicle. That would allow for the fastest transition: an intermittent beam! Then it would just take practice to time the gaps with a feint and then next "on" phase with the lunge. :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

A duel between two Jedi/Sith is characterised by precognition and intuitive counter measures. Cheating with the lightsaber during an attack wouldn't give the attacker any advantage over other lightsaber techniques.

If the opponent is distracted or overpowered, switching the lightsaber off and on would have the desired success, but otherwise it is an own goal (since just in the moment of the switch-off the opponent's lightsaber already cuts through his body).

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

It amazes me there are no projectile based weapons in Star Wars, all it would take to kill a Jedi is indirect fire from an artillery battery. Gas them, not with choking gas but agents that react upon contact with the skin, disease them with biological agents, inject them with drugs, etc, etc, etc.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

It amazes me there are no projectile based weapons in Star Wars, all it would take to kill a Jedi is indirect fire from an artillery battery. Gas them, not with choking gas but agents that react upon contact with the skin, disease them with biological agents, inject them with drugs, etc, etc, etc.

A Jedi can probably sense a giant laser coming right at them and either jump out of the way or if they are skilled with the force, force it back to where it came from. Also, they have had alot of training to be resistant to such injections and poisons. And they would sense those two things and be prepared for them.

A Jedi can probably sense a giant laser coming right at them and either jump out of the way or if they are skilled with the force, force it back to where it came from. Also, they have had alot of training to be resistant to such injections and poisons. And they would sense those two things and be prepared for them.

Despite their power, jedi are neither omniscient, omnipotent, nor omnivigilant. Thus, the means suggested by EUIX would most likely work at least some of the time (probably more often than not).

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Weapons of this sort have been banned by the >insert EU geek reference here< mutual treaty (similar to the Geneva Convention). Naturally, the True Sith haven't signed the treaty (and probably wouldn't even if they got the chance) so it is entirely possible that they might use such devices if given the chance.

That said, my Exile was able to use Force Breathing (or whatever the stupid thing was called), so my wings are like a shield of steel.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

@Eddo: My apologies for mentioning the Corps thing here. In hindsight I should have used a PM. Best of luck to you for getting through that.

In regard to the speed of the de/activation, I am sure that it could be done. It's a matter of whether or not it would be a good idea. I think that Maul's use of Force Push during his duel with Kenobi would be far more effective than de/activating the sabre to "trick" the opponent.

In regard to using the force to deactivate the opponent's lightsabre, I feel that that would be far more effective than attempting to de/activate your own sabre and hope you have the timing just right. IIRC, Luke Skywalker's Dark Side lightsabre was activated by the force, i.e. it didn't have an external button. :-

In regard to a Jedi not being fast enough to dodge a real bullet, Jedi Knight II had the Dark Jedi in the game dodging, not deflecting, a disrupter beam. One can argue at what fraction of the speed of light a particle beam or disrupter beam may travel, but it is certain that it exceeds the speed of a pistol or rifle bullet by a significant margin.

... In regard to a Jedi not being fast enough to dodge a real bullet, Jedi Knight II had the Dark Jedi in the game dodging, not deflecting, a disrupter beam. One can argue at what fraction of the speed of light a particle beam or disrupter beam may travel, but it is certain that it exceeds the speed of a pistol or rifle bullet by a significant margin.

Which means there must be some sort of precognition going on, because the signal from the brain to the limbs would have to be sent before the beam in order for the person to jump in time ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I don't think it's really important to go into the science behind Star Wars, because there are so many things wrong with the theories of science to Star Wars. Like the fact that a ship falls downwards after being destroyed? Or even the fact that you could hear any of the battles in space?

My apologies for going off topic.

Are you refering to the battles that take place next to planets/the Death Star? IIRC, the Death Star uses a gravitic field to keep its personnel in place. It's for certain that they didn't use magnetic boots! :rolleyes:

That doesn't account for the sound travelling through the vacuum of space.

But I can suspend my disbelief for a little longer by pretending that, if I could hear it, that's what the battle would sound like. (It still bugs me that Hollywood insists on dumbing down to the audience like this: perhaps there are commercial imperatives to provide a suitable canvas for the spanky THX sound systems ...)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

... and it would be regarded as cheating, so no Jedi should do it. (Sith can please themselves.)

How about using the force to turn off your opponents lightsaber?

Or hit your opponent with their own lightsaber.

"Stop hitting yourself!"

"Stop hitting yourself!"

"Stop hitting yourself!"

"Oh, you're dead? I didn't think that was actually going to work...I-I think I'm going to go pray."

That doesn't account for the sound travelling through the vacuum of space.

But I can suspend my disbelief for a little longer by pretending that, if I could hear it, that's what the battle would sound like. (It still bugs me that Hollywood insists on dumbing down to the audience like this: perhaps there are commercial imperatives to provide a suitable canvas for the spanky THX sound systems ...)

Oh, I agree with you there. But do you really want to sit through 2001: A Space Odyssey again? :) Sound is at least half the fun in a movie. I can forgive this inaccuracy because it doesn't detract (to me) from the films.

... and it would be regarded as cheating, so no Jedi should do it. (Sith can please themselves.)

How about using the force to turn off your opponents lightsaber?

Or hit your opponent with their own lightsaber.

"Stop hitting yourself!"

"Stop hitting yourself!"

"Stop hitting yourself!"

"Oh, you're dead? I didn't think that was actually going to work...I-I think I'm going to go pray."

I'm glad somebody took my original post as the joke that is was meant to be.

Look, I'm sorry, but your poisonous drivel has spread quickly across these boards and I am beginning to tire of it. At least make an attempt to seriously contribute. ;)

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Would't it be cool if you could turn off your lightsaber just as your opponent tries to block it, then turn it on again to bypass his defenses?  I bet that would piss off a bunch of jedi.  Off and on in the blink of an eye.  How many people's last words would be ...."Hey, that's cheating!"

brillant idea, though of it myself a while ago. anythink to cut them up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just turn off your lightsaber and throw it at you opponents head really hard.

They will be so shocked it just might work.

If it doesn't though.................... :ermm:

"I tried the most potent Noise Amplification spell once upon a time. Mavellous spell. I could hear the birds speaking to one another in trees over the horizon, I could hear the rustlings as the clouds rubbed against each other in the sky. I could hear the sound a rainbow makes as it arches it's back over the world. Then a dog barked behind me and I burst my left eardrum."