Did anyone see UK MP George Galloway...

Lucius

I seem to recall the war was naval, and off the coast of Canada ... dang, I'll have to look it up (it was published in the last 18 months in the UK). The title of the book was just the year "1852" or something like that.

Well, the crimean war started in 1854, and the UK and France were allied at that point, so 1852 seems unlikely...Waterloo was in 1815, and trafalgar in 1805, and I had always thought they had broken France's back.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

You seem to read a lot of books with dates as titles, meta.  :-

Yep, I like history. Sort of like politics, except all the spin is neutralised. :)

I seem to recall the war was naval, and off the coast of Canada ... dang, I'll have to look it up (it was published in the last 18 months in the UK). The title of the book was just the year "1852" or something like that.

Well, the crimean war started in 1854, and the UK and France were allied at that point, so 1852 seems unlikely...Waterloo was in 1815, and trafalgar in 1805, and I had always thought they had broken France's back.

Hmm maybe Napoleonic? Might have been 1792? Here's one possibility ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I like history, been thinking about studying it at the university, but not sure if I want to tie myself down in study again. I'm mostly interested in wartime history, I don't care for much for the more peaceful periods. (if there indeed is such a thing, lol)

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

You seem to read a lot of books with dates as titles, meta.  :-

Yep, I like history. Sort of like politics, except all the spin is neutralised. :)

Hmm maybe Napoleonic? Might have been 1792? Here's one possibility ...

I don't think Great Britain declared war on Republican France until 1793, and in the account of the war I'm reading I don't see any mention of major naval engagements outside of Egypt and Copenhagen prior to Trafalgar in 1805...Hmm...

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I like history, been thinking about studying it at the university, but not sure if I want to tie myself down in study again. I'm mostly interested in wartime history, I don't care for much for the more peaceful periods. (if there indeed is such a thing, lol)

I loved studying history at university - it was one of my combined majors, along with Spanish. Linking it with a language works well, too. Spanish history is rich and fascinating (not short of wars, either, but there's always a war going on somewhere).

A word of warning - in the UK at least, history graduates tend to become accountants. I only escaped this fate by fleeing to Japan.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I don't think Great Britain declared war on Republican France until 1793, and in the account of the war I'm reading I don't see any mention of major naval engagements outside of Egypt and Copenhagen prior to Trafalgar in 1805...Hmm...

.......Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back....... :p

Thanks for the warning, and I agree, Spanish history is indeed interesting.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Copenhagen almost succeeded in defeating the British attack, and the lord in charge for the British fleet there had called for an abort of the attack, but that damn stubborn Admiral Nelson refused to pull out and pretended not to notice the order, and we were eventually forced to surrender. :p

Edit: Forgot the name of the Lord.

DENMARK!

I loved studying history at university - it was one of my combined majors, along with Spanish. Linking it with a language works well, too. Spanish history is rich and fascinating (not short of wars, either, but there's always a war going on somewhere).

A word of warning - in the UK at least, history graduates tend to become accountants. I only escaped this fate by fleeing to Japan.

Ancient hsitory is quite appealing to me at the moment. I had a book that listed the ten greatest battles in all of history, and only one from the twentieth century made it (the book was written just after WW", iIrc): Marathon was there ... I can't remember the others, my friend Luca, who has militiaphilia, "borrowed" it ...

(I've always wated to learn a bit of Ancient Greek and Sanskrit.)

Then again, my current desire is to finally map out history throughout the last few thousand years taking special notice of what was happenning simulataneously in the geographically seperate nations, like the Venetian Empire (the real culrpits for the destruction of the Pantheon) and the Kingdom of Siam (Thailand: never conquered).

I'm also currently reading through the Times Compact History of the World, but it is a little too compact (not enough depth to keep me interested).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You'll have a tough time studying war history in teh UK. back when I was looking for an MSc in the area I found more Masters degrees on mediaeval arts and crafts than on war studies. A lot more.

Which is when I realised our civilisation was (+1) doomed.

However, I take issue with the idea that everyone who does history becomes an accountant. Some become unemployed/journalists.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Is that an unemployed journalist, or either unemployed or a journalist? ;)

If you're going to pursue an advanced degree in ancient history, get ready to take alot of ancient Greek and Latin classes. Of course, if your Greek and Latin are up to snuff, then you'll have no problems on that end.

As Walsingham says, the trend in history has really gone over to cultural, ethnic, or gender based approaches. It's a pain, since I think political history is far more entertaining.

True military history is such a specialized field, I don't know why folks would want to pursue the study. You could specialize, though, and teach at West Point or the Citadel. Cool, huh?

Anyhow, history, as taught these days, is a lifeless, soulless, and boring discipline. Pages upon pages of information but nothing flowing like a true story. Heaven help you if you create a narrative. My first BA was in history, and I've come to hate the field. On the other hand, I love HISTORY. That's why I took on the effort and expense of switching to Classical Studies. Sure, it meant going back to square one and taking several years of languages. ...But it also opened new doors to me, such as ancient philosophy and literature.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

... True military history is such a specialized field, I don't know why folks would want to pursue the study.  You could specialize, though, and teach at West Point or the Citadel.  Cool, huh?

Anyhow, history, as taught these days, is a lifeless, soulless, and boring discipline.  Pages upon pages of information but nothing flowing like a true story.  Heaven help you if you create a narrative.  My first BA was in history, and I've come to hate the field.  On the other hand, I love HISTORY.  That's why I took on the effort and expense of switching to Classical Studies.  Sure, it meant going back to square one and taking several years of languages.  ...But it also opened new doors to me, such as ancient philosophy and literature.

My brother went to Duntroon Miltary Academy in Canberra, Australia, and did a quick summer vacation in West Point, so the thought had occurred to me. :thumbsup:

I would jump feet first except my language skills are not my best feature ( :D ) -- I'm sure I could achieve a working knowledge to achieve some further study in the Classics, sure would like to learn more Greek, Persian and Carthaginian (fat chance!) philosophy and even mathematics -- there is good reason to believe that the maths we have is all the "high art" stuff; the mundane calculations were seen as beneath a lot of the scribes (after all everyone knew it), and so a lot of it may have been lost.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT